• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Climate denial will be the official policy of Trump’s administration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, not tolerating bigotry makes us an awful, awful echo chamber.

This senseless shit always makes me laugh. Like, do people who ask "if you're so liberal and tolerant, why don't you tolerate my objectively wrong and hateful stance" think this somehow carries the same weight as pointing out that all self professed Christians should act without hate towards everyone?

This is partly the media's fault but it's also ours as a society. Gossip and drama get more eyeballs than critical but less flashy issues.

I don't think you can blame the public for these news stations not reporting news regardless if it is popular.

If TMZ wants to cover drama let them. But why is CNN having these terrible spin casters deflect one issue and another?

Maybe we can just start classifying all of these organizations as entertainment instead.

Nelo Ice

Banned
This is partly the media's fault but it's also ours as a society. Gossip and drama get more eyeballs than critical but less flashy issues.
Yep, something that will change our lives?. Nah most everyone I know won't give a shit. But good news everyone knows more about the next viral meme or celebrity drama.

This senseless shit always makes me laugh. Like, do people who ask "if you're so liberal and tolerant, why don't you tolerate my objectively wrong and hateful stance" think this somehow carries the same weight as pointing out that all self professed Christians should act without hate towards everyone?

This is an argument I hear a lot with Youtubers and podcast hosts that I watch. "Liberals are the least tolerant. They will shut you down and call you a bigot if they do not agree with you."

No one is going to call you a bigot for you saying that you dislike Clinton's aggressive foreign policies or that you think steak is best cooked well done.

Trickster

Yep, something that will change our lives?. Nah most everyone I know won't give a shit. But good news everyone knows more about the next viral meme or celebrity drama.

Keeping up with the kardashians is important stuff man, how else would i have something to talk about with my friends?

grumble

I don't think you can blame the public for these news stations not reporting news regardless if it is popular.

If TMZ wants to cover drama let them. But why is CNN having these terrible spin casters deflect one issue and another?

Maybe we can just start classifying all of these organizations as entertainment instead.

CNN's job is the same as TMZs: to sell ads. If we as a public click more or difficult, important issues, they'll focus on it. The public cares 1000x more about 'scandals' and 'controversy' than they do about these kinds of issues.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Can someone help me find the most effective climate change group to donate to? Googling brings up a bunch of pictures of Leonardo Di Caprio.

I was going to wait until next year to donate any savings from a Trump tax plan but I want to start with this year's bonus.

CNN's job is the same as TMZs: to sell ads. If we as a public click more or difficult, important issues, they'll focus on it. The public cares 1000x more about 'scandals' and 'controversy' than they do about these kinds of issues.

Although this is also a failure on the media's part to actually make climate change a matter worth worrying about. So long as the US has Fox News, Limbaugh and various Republican outlets absolutely abusing the First Amendment to allow them to say bullshit like climate change is a hoax, then I can't see much changing for Dems or the U.S. in the coming years.

Are we getting into Crossfire territory?

Nocebo

As a person who's poor parents live in Miami, I am legitimately terrified. Miami was a lost cause anyway, but I cannot fucking believe that people legitimately believe that climate change isn't real or a hoax. It just baffles my mind.
Sure it is baffling. Until you consider that many people who accept that climate change is real don't seem to live accordingly. Which might be worse. But conceptually it seems to me there is very little difference.

Foffy

Banned
Is it bad that is Trump really pushes climate denial in this way, I wish nothing but pure collapse for the country?

Why let the "leader of the first world" be an example of leading us into the worst world?

Is it bad that is Trump really pushes climate denial in this way, I wish nothing but pure collapse for the country?

Why let the "leader of the first world" be an example of leading us into the worst world?

That's great but there's millions of people who will suffer, Trump being last in line.

Foffy

Banned
That's great but there's millions of people who will suffer, Trump being last in line.

Millions already are suffering.

Why not go HAM?

I mean, if Trump's going to fuck this up, this means any potential technological disruption to labor is going to fuck everyone else up, too.

Why not two for one? Let the two worst things experience their fullness in America as a sign that this country shouldn't be leading shit?

No, if anything Repubs are smart. Right before shit hits the fan, they know how to defer the responsibility to Dems to try to clean things up. They barely do, and then Repubs are back again to tell the populace that Dems are the ones who caused the mess they just cleaned up, or are bad for enacting the harsh policies needed to clean up said mess.

Works in Canada, anyway.

It's both amazing and frightening how we as the human race see but choose to completely ignore that we are our own worst enemy and refuse to change. Of course, by the time we do, those who've done the most damage and those who ignored all the warnings will blame everyone but themselves.

Blader

Can someone help me find the most effective climate change group to donate to? Googling brings up a bunch of pictures of Leonardo Di Caprio.

I was going to wait until next year to donate any savings from a Trump tax plan but I want to start with this year's bonus.

I've set up monthly donations to NRDC. Sierra Club is another good one.

Neo C.

I'm sorry. I did my best. I voted. I protested. I sought discourse at Trump rallies.

Please tell me what else I can and could've done?

I live in a democracy as well, I know that feeling. Sometimes your best is just not good enough, and all you can do is try harder next time and accept the failure.

Trump CAN'T get out of Paris agreement, it would take at least 4 years before you guys are out of it. The next president (maybe you guys won't vote for a science illiterate idiot next time) can re-ratify the treaty.

CITIES, STATES, COMPANIES AND INDIVIDUALS are ultimately what will decide of the future. And that future is greener. The speed of the transition is what we can influence.

The retards in the White House can deny the science as long as they want and try to bring back coal (lol... This industry will never come back to what it was... It is OVER), nothing will stop the transition except if everyone gives up.

Get you chin up, visit my climate change thread and do your part.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1319159&highlight=trumped

Note : many republicans think Climate change is real.

that's good news. Hopefully we can smarten up and elect a Democrat in 2020 before this fuckery is really really really too late

mr stroke

Someone tell me, whats the point of refusing to except Global Warming?

I never understand why this is an issue, its your own planet?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Someone tell me whats the point of refusing to except Global Warming?

It's a cycle
It's all according to God's will
God will fix it
It snows in the winter
Oil companies

That's the point of it not existing. That's why they refuse it.

Air

Banned

To give some rich dude, his company and their stockholders some extra $$$. Literally the only reason you'd be anti global warming is if you're willfully ignorant or being paid off by someone.

It's a cycle
God will fix it
It snows in the winter

A lot of religions ask that you do good to the earth, nature, etc.

Global warming denial is about greed.

Loxley

Many (Most? All?) climate-change denying politicians are in the back-pockets of the oil companies.

Excepting global warming = excepting that we're causing it = excepting that we're causing it because of fossil fuels and CO2 emissions = excepting that the big oil companies (who write you big checks when you're up for re-election) are going to lose money as we embrace alternative sources of energy such as electric and solar.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I actually think doubling down on this stuff will be good for the earth in the long run, since it will get rid of this human virus that has been plaguing it so much quicker, and it can get on with things after we're gone.

Foffy

Banned
It's a cycle
God will fix it
It snows in the winter
Oil companies

That's the point of it not existing. That's why they refuse it.

Which God, and thus which will, is canon?

I'm sure the same one that is the deity of the monied interest market making the world worse as it draws blood from the stone. ;)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Many (Most? All?) climate-change denying politicians are in the back-pockets of the oil companies.

Excepting global warming = excepting that we're causing it = excepting that we're causing it because of fossil fuels and CO2 emissions = excepting that the big oil companies (who write you big checks when you're up for re-election) are going to lose money as we embrace alternative sources of energy such as electric and solar.
You are correct but I must say, the repeated misspelling of "accepting" is making me cringe. :p

Anticol

Banned
Will America take the blame once things get worse and worse, or are they gonna try to point fingers at others and keep telling everyone they are the good guys like the always do?

How comes such a small amount of (ignorant) US citizens can take a decision that puts on risk the very survival of the species on the planet???

This isn't right.

Will America take the blame once things get worse and worse, or are they gonna try to point fingers at others and keep telling everyone they are the good guys like the always do?

As fucked up as current Trump / USA stance is, its not even kind of just the US fault. China, India, Russia and many 1st world nations are responsible and have been responsible for emissions and climate change for decades.

Many countries are slowly smartening up, and the US is regressing, but the blame isn't on one country. Frankly there have been warnings for a long time coming and most of the world chose to ignore it until very recently

Glass Joe

“As far as this issue on climate change — the only thing he [Trump] was saying after being asked a few questions about it is, look, he’ll have an open mind about it but he has his default position, which most of it is a bunch of bunk, but he’ll have an open mind and listen to people.”

#1) Why isn't this part of the OP, since it's from the article, other than to rile people up?
#2) Him having an open mind is mentioned twice in the same quote by Priebus
#3) How is "straight from the horse's mouth" Priebus when it should be from Trump?
#4) It doesn't appear that a site like "thinkprogress.org" is bipartisan.

Hey, Trump has his default views. He made that stupid "Global Warming is made up by China" remark before running. Yet, a more honest article title may be "Trump now has an open mind regarding climate change." But that wouldn't rile people up and get the clicks, I guess. We need to stop with the dissonance for the sake of spite. Sure, his mind may not be very open after all (and I tend to doubt it) but what was said vs what was reported seems quite different.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The only silver lining I see is the more stupid shit like this that happens over the next 4 years increases the chance these assholes get voted out in 4 years. Lets just hope its salvageable at least. The average person has no idea how badly we are going to fuck up the earth, and it won't matter to the earth, it will keep going. We will be the ones fucked. Drought, no food supply, bad air quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom