• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Climate denial will be the official policy of Trump’s administration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
I believe you should take that stuff on directly, not hide from it. By repeatedly beating down the zealots publicly, using logic and reason, you will sway the people who are impressionable. By secluding yourselves from what you see as hateful, you are letting it run free unchallenged.

If this place allowed all sides of a political issue, even the racist assholes, you could destroy them on any issue.

The rise of the Alt-Right has been allowed by the seclusion of the liberals into their safe spaces. Don't get me wrong, I understand why you don't want those people here. They say stuff that can be hurtful, but we have to be stronger than that and unafraid to debate them head on. Hiding won't make the alt-right, or the ridiculous ideas of Republicans, go away.

i think croatoan is right. he should start by going to the donald and breitbart comment section to beat zealots off with logic and reason regarding climate change. if they can't come to neogaf, he must go to them

Any good resources on actionable steps we can take as individuals to reduce carbon footprint ? I take public transportation when possible, I dont eat beef anymore, I reduce my consumption by buying things used or going to the library, I recycle at home. We clearly cant rely on politicians for change.

And yet, I feel like indivdual action doesnt amount to much. One new coal plant running cancels out the efforts of thousands.

Is there a list of green and responsible companies, like Patagonia ? I'm willing to pay a bit more if it can make a difference.

Rellik

Just remember: only around half of all eligible voters actually voted this year, and of those, fewer than half managed to elect the orange buffoon thanks to the perverse quirks of the electoral college.

The majority of Americans don't support him.

Then they should have voted.

Just remember: only around half of all eligible voters actually voted this year, and of those, fewer than half managed to elect the orange buffoon thanks to the perverse quirks of the electoral college.

People seem to bring this up as a 'defense' when America as a whole is criticized for Trumps election - but if anything it's an even greater indictment. A voting populace so apathetic that they couldn't stop the rise of this man despite the danger he clearly posed.

Yo, I don't care what your reasons for voting Trump were, but you fucked up. Yea, you fucked this world by voting for that POS. I hope your stupid ass 'arguments' as to why Trump won let you sleep at night.

Izayoi

Banned
Just the phrase itself is stunning... "Climate Science Denial"... "Science Denial."

Oh right, I forgot, we're regressing to the 1700s.

Zubz

Banned
The beautiful Smokey Mountains just all-but burned down due to climate change, and people are still going to listen to this. It's disgusting.

Why does America not believe in climate change again?

Oil companies are hurt if we try to be more economically friendly. Republicans are owned by oil companies. The aging-but-majority population of white, working class Baby Boomers will willingly eat anything the Republicans tell them because that's how they've always been. And the rich are benefiting from the oil companies, anyway.

But this is the case pretty much every election in the US.
Around 50% voter turnout and around 50/50 split between the only two real parties.

If anything this is just another sign of failure when compared to other developed countries with voter turnouts in the 80s or even 90s percentages.

Fox Mulder

They did. Shame the electoral college doesn't represent that

Last I saw, trump won with fewer votes than Romney lost with.

Millions of people already don't vote in this country, and Hillary lost millions more from Obama. Turnout for midterms is embarrassing, which allowed the GOP to gain power since 2010 and gerrymander districts.

Future

Kind of disingenuous though considering a huge percentage of Americans DID vote for him. And people that didn't vote = didn't care enough to stop him from being president (and certainly didn't want Hillary for president).

A majority of Americans may not be in favor, the majority is not in dissent either. If anything, the majority were either in favor or Indifferent.

Can we just build a dome around the us?

Allows everyone else to fix the climate issue awhile building said wall.

Two birds with one stone.

Melon Husk

Last I saw, trump won with fewer votes than Romney lost with.

Millions of people already don't vote in this country, and Hillary lost millions more from Obama. Turnout for midterms is embarrassing, which allowed the GOP to gain power since 2010 and gerrymander districts.

Federal elections and education should be organized by the federal government...The whole country pays for it when one state fucks up their system.

Zubz

Banned
At least the name fits now.

I really hope people stop joking about this. It's a devastating thing. If Trump's blind supporters had any amount of clarity or self-reflection, maybe burning down a wonderful area like that would have driven them into action. But they're so far gone that we'll see Florida underwater and they'll just say it was "a natural phenomenon that happens every several millenia," and walk away from destroying the ecosystem smugly thinking they're right.

geomon

This is how the US will become a second rate nation. By letting the rest of the world lead, the United States has decided, 'meh, business as usual'.

I believe you should take that stuff on directly, not hide from it. By repeatedly beating down the zealots publicly, using logic and reason, you will sway the people who are impressionable. By secluding yourselves from what you see as hateful, you are letting it run free unchallenged.

If this place allowed all sides of a political issue, even the racist assholes, you could destroy them on any issue.

The rise of the Alt-Right has been allowed by the seclusion of the liberals into their safe spaces. Don't get me wrong, I understand why you don't want those people here. They say stuff that can be hurtful, but we have to be stronger than that and unafraid to debate them head on. Hiding won't make the alt-right, or the ridiculous ideas of Republicans, go away.

Letting racists be racist on an internet message board won't make white supremacists and the ridiculous ideas of Republicans go away either.

PK Gaming

I always took solace in the fact that no matter how things got, we as a society has always moved forward

It feels like we're regressing at 200mph

Just the worst

tumblr_nqfkhmghv81qzco77o2_500

I wish back in 2009 Obama got the US on the super fast track to renewable energy, instead he made a mandate that by 2020, cars must have a fuel economy standard of 35mpg. Thats a slow play imo, and Trump can probably overturn that even

Amikami

Banned
So Climate change is going to happen and it's going to get terribly bad before anything on an official federal level is done. We have a thread about what we can do as individuals to help mitigate climate change. But what can we do as individuals to mitigate our own personal struggles with climate change. I live in CA. Where should I be? Should I focus on moving inland. worry about severe droughts? What can we all be doing based on where we live now to not be in a crisis later. What can we do for even more at risk populations?

So wait...

Not only is it the liberal/minority echo chamber's fault for all of this.

But now we need to not only let the racist talk fester, but ALSO put in the emotional, intellectual labor to beat their irrational argument, somehow converting them.

Nah. I've seen how this goes down. It always go badly for the whole space. Especially forums.

The good people just leave.

If you want to put in that work, fine. But don't fuck it up for everyone by releasing the floodgates.

Can we just build a dome around the us?

Allows everyone else to fix the climate issue awhile building said wall.

Two birds with one stone.

This was my suggestion from another thread. I think it's looking more viable now tbh. You wanna go halfsies on funding this with me or shall we kickstart this?

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I wish back in 2009 Obama got the US on the super fast track to renewable energy, instead he made a mandate that by 2020, cars must have a fuel economy standard of 35mpg. Thats a slow play imo, and Trump can probably overturn that even

Rahm Emmanuel's influence.

Red

To those who think the left is overreacting:

When does it become okay to criticize? When will we be right to call out bad trends? How many more people must be influenced by thought leaders? How much more public money must be poured into infrastructure to prevent further damage by dangers our future president refuses to admit are real? How many more people must be fooled by foreign propaganda that is often more ubiquitous than real news? How many more nationalist officials must be appointed before we sound the alarm bells that something is going on?

But they let him win by not voting. They are just as guilty for fucking this country and the world up. Maybe when all the small town America rot to death we won't have to deal with their shit in elections.

It would be poetic justice if the ones who deny climate change suffer the most under its effect.

Vena

To those who think the left is overreacting:

When does it become okay to criticize? When will we be right to call out bad trends? How many more people must be influenced by thought leaders? How much more public money must be poured into infrastructure to prevent further damage by dangers our future president refuses to admit are real? How many more people must be fooled by foreign propaganda that is often more ubiquitous than real news? How many more nationalist officials must be appointed before we sound the alarm bells that something is going on?

I really don't think a lot of left groups or even centrists will actually take this lying down at all, and a lot of companies are investing in this and want the opportunities to control/sieze the market including major fossil-fuel companies that are transitioning due to weak crude and... sanity. I expect this to get shoved up their (the coming administration) asses hard by a large part of the US, whatever part of the government is still sane (which is ~half of the Senate), and the rest of the world and China in particular.

This is when rocks start getting thrown at the glass house. If nothing else, I want and hope for this to be the permanent and irremovable stain that will haunt Trump and his presidency forever.

Nikodemos

Rahm Emmanuel's influence.
Oh yeah. Rather annoying how so many forgot about that shitstain.

well I was semi-hoping that his stupid Twitter rants wouldn't represent his actual presidency. Very wishful thinking on my end. Fuck this.
People tend to gloss over the fact he's really not smart enough for that. He's just a rich bitch who muddled through life thanks to daddy's money and a pathological tendency to rip people off.

What's shocking are the responses in this thread. The whole Republican platform is based on climate change denial before even Trump got into the picture. Republicans have a bunch of oil companies lobbying them. It's all about the money! Republicans are real capitalists. They don't give a fuck that their children will live in a fucked up world in a few decades. Fuck you I got my own! I am sorry, but there is no excuse to why Americans elected Trump. The people who didn't vote this election by choice or voted for a third party, please go fuck yourselves. You did this.

MrBadger

People tend to gloss over the fact he's really not smart enough for that. He's just a rich bitch who muddled through life thanks to daddy's money and a pathological tendency to rip people off.

Yeah, if there was another side to Donald Trump, we'd have seen it long ago. And we'd be seeing it right now, but he's instead doing victory laps round the country and bitching about the NY Times on Twitter. My hope was more that he wouldn't be surrounded in likeminded climate change deniers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom