• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Climate denial will be the official policy of Trump’s administration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squalor

I already voted, I recycle, and I can't afford solar panels. I'm not sure what else to do.
Vote with your dollars. Buy from eco-friendly companies. Save up for solar. Don't just recycle. It's not enough. Compost, too. Eat less meat. Shop at farmers' markets. Eat less dairy if any.

sasliquid

I already voted, I recycle, and I can't afford solar panels. I'm not sure what else to do.

1. Don't lose hope
2. Vote as often as possible
3. When solar panels are more affordable go for them
4. Eat less meat (especially beef)
5. Loads of other stuff but be politically active and when the revolution comes be ready

Jotaka

Are you serious? They are banned, or remain silent so they don't get banned. NeoGAF is a one sided conversation, an echo chamber if you will, when it comes to politics.

IF one side of politics means bigotry, racism and lots other awful things... its good that there is no space for such toxic bullshit here. OR are you suggesting that we should welcome it?

Stop eating too much meat.

What I do is:

1 day beef
1 day chicken
1 day fish

4 days vegetarian.

You don't need to stop eating meat to make an impact. Tho stopping would be the best eventually.

Plates.gif

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Are you serious? They are banned, or remain silent so they don't get banned. NeoGAF is a one sided conversation, an echo chamber if you will, when it comes to politics.

Not even the morons on /r/the_donald even try to defend this shit. It's inexcusable. Just like with the Net-Neutrality stance he has taken. Most of these fuckwits are in prime internet age and voted the talking orange into office.

Sephzilla

There's a part of me that thinks there's going to be way too much pressure from basically every other major country to reverse stance on this and Trump will eventually cave.

But I'm still worried.

People aren't banned for voting for Trump. They are banned for being bigots.

If you are too ashamed of your vote to speak out on your opinion on Trump's recent actions then that says something about yourself. If I voted for Clinton and she won and she started tweeting about wanting a war with Russia I would own up to my vote and say "well I didn't think she was that much of a warhawk, but I still support her plans for x,y, and z" if given an opportunity to speak on the topic. We had a good amount of Trump voters before the election--not all of them are banned. Maybe they were mostly trolls. Who knows.

One sided conversation =/= people disagree with me and are providing actual point
dog piling =/= people disagree with me and are providing actual point

NeOak

When their main arguments are "WE WON!!!1111eleven" and "Crooked Hillary" while using fake news, How can you take them seriously?

Opinions in science are worthless when there is data that says otherwise.

"Drain the Swamp" has been shown to be pure BS with all the appointments so far.

But hey, they can have "opinions" about science but lord forbid people have "opinions about religion". What about the ones that go into overdrive when you don't agree with what they think the Bible says based on a translation of an incomplete book that is at least 1700 years old? Still waiting for one to show me the exact line where it reads that Jesus said to hate homosexuals.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Well, fuck this shit. Fuck this guy and everything he stands for, yet again.

Realistically, how much damage can this policy do? Can it be reversed or undone when he's out of office? I'm under the impression that climate change is something that takes years to affect one way or another (though you can destroy the environment much more quickly than you can fix it of course), so is it possible to hope that this fuckwad shitting the bed for 4 years (oh god let it only be 4 years) won't change the environment too much?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
IF one side of politics means bigotry, racism and lots other awful things... its good that there is no space for such toxic bullshit here. OR are you suggesting that we should welcome it?

I believe you should take that stuff on directly, not hide from it. By repeatedly beating down the zealots publicly, using logic and reason, you will sway the people who are impressionable. By secluding yourselves from what you see as hateful, you are letting it run free unchallenged.

If this place allowed all sides of a political issue, even the racist assholes, you could destroy them on any issue.

The rise of the Alt-Right has been allowed by the seclusion of the liberals into their safe spaces. Don't get me wrong, I understand why you don't want those people here. They say stuff that can be hurtful, but we have to be stronger than that and unafraid to debate them head on. Hiding won't make the alt-right, or the ridiculous ideas of Republicans, go away.

There is always Mars to colonize, if Earth becomes an apocalyptic hellhole by the next few centuries.

Fuck that. We couldn't even be trusted to not fuck up our own planet, how could anybody be foolish enough to think we could land and live anywhere else without fucking that up too

Ric Flair

Banned
One issue voters that let this stupid motherfucker into the White House will never have to face the consequences of their actions, that's the worst part of it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You need an interdimensional pod. They sell them at Best Buy for a grand a pop.

In the timeline wherein Gore won the 2000 election, that is.

I want the dimension where Gore won and made Musk the head of everything science.

Here we go again. . .

Let's blame the minorities and liberals for the "Alt-Rise."

Calling people racist resulted in this push back! If you treat people bad long enough you have to expect that they'll fight back!!!

Hold on, my cognitive dissonance is calling, brb.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Here we go again. . .

Let's blame the minorities and liberals for the "Alt-Rise."

Is that directed at me? If so, that isn't what I am doing (pertaining to minorities)...

I am talking to all liberals, especially white ones. How can liberals not have some blame when they let the wound fester?

Cipherr

If this place allowed all sides of a political issue, even the racist assholes, you could destroy them.

Racism is an issue of morality. I detest the attempts to make that behavior 'acceptable' by trying to slide it through the cracks as a political stance that deserves as much respect as someone's opinion on free trade and the like.

And Im especially sick of the notion that allowing these scumbags to parrot their shit in the open without bans will result in some magical discourse that will 'reach them' and bring them into the fold of reason. Reddit and 4chan has allowed hate speech in various formats for years and its done fuck all to 'fix' this stuff.

the1npc

Realistically, how much damage can this policy do? Can it be reversed or undone when he's out of office? I'm under the impression that climate change is something that takes years to affect one way or another (though you can destroy the environment much more quickly than you can fix it of course), so is it possible to hope that this fuckwad shitting the bed for 4 years (oh god let it only be 4 years) won't change the environment too much?

4 years is huge, the last 5 years have seem massive temp increases. now with melting permafrost it could magnify everything like crazy

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Racism is an issue of morality. I detest the attempts to make that behavior 'acceptable' by trying to slide it through the cracks as a political stance that deserves as much respect as someone's opinion on free trade and the like.

And Im especially sick of the notion that allowing these scumbags to parrot their shit in the open without bans will result in some magical discourse that will 'reach them' and bring them into the fold of reason. Reddit and 4chan has allowed hate speech in various formats for years and its done fuck all to 'fix' this stuff.

I am not talking about allowing racists to spew racism, I talking about allowing racists to explain their policy. Since every Trump supporter is a racist here, we would have to allow racists to speak to debate them.

Does that make sense?

You have to remember that my first post above was in response to someone asking why there were no Trump supporters here to explain why they are ok with climate denial.

NeOak

The rise of the Alt-Right has been allowed by the seclusion of the liberals into their safe spaces. Don't get me wrong, I understand why you don't want those people here. They say stuff that can be hurtful, but we have to be stronger than that and unafraid to debate them head on. Hiding won't make the alt-right, or the ridiculous ideas of Republicans, go away.

Nice armchair analysis about politics.

Hillary won the popular vote. What safe spaces? People went out to vote. But hey, let's just ignore the blatant Republican voting suppression that has been sued in court.

No one has ever fought for things that are fine. People only fight when they are threatened. White nationalists and Racists are threatened because there were consequences for their actions, so they fought using the base standard of freedom to spew their shit. But when someone else says they are wrong, they don't argue: They yell to shut up the opposition.

"Liberals" allowed them to spew their shit because it was "freedom of speech". But the White nationalists AKA Alt-Right don't want the same freedom for Liberals, so they try to shut them up. Saw the guy in the Delta flight? Something like that.

Now the rest will feel threatened. You think people are going to stay quiet?

I am not talking about allowing racists to spew racism, I talking about allowing racists to explain their policy. Since every Trump supporter is a racist here, we would have to allow racists to speak to debate them.

Does that make sense?

You have to remember that my first post above was in response to someone asking why there were no Trump supporters here to explain why they are ok with climate denial.

A debate would imply there is a valid argument to be made in favor of racism. Do you have one?

If there was one, we would have heard about it. So far is just "MAGA".

Nikodemos

4 years is huge, the last 5 years have seem massive temp increases. now with melting permafrost it could magnify everything like crazy
This here is the real problem, that climate change tends to amplify via self-accelerating feedback loops: weather stays warmer throughout the year -> permafrost remains thawed longer -> more bacteria work on those 30.000 year old forests -> more methane is produced -> weather stays warmer throughout the year -> etc. ad nauseam.

There's already been drastic temperature changes in even the last 2 years, let alone the last 4. There's no scenario where 2 to 4 years of utter inaction on the matter doesn't result in irreversible damage. By the next presidential election it will be too late, and even if he holds out until mid-terms before caving it will already be too late.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Nice armchair analysis about politics.

Hillary won the popular vote. What safe spaces? People went out to vote. But hey, let's just ignore the blatant Republican voting suppression that has been sued in court.

No one has ever fought for things that are fine. People only fight when they are threatened. White nationalists and Racists are threatened because there were consequences for their actions, so they fought using the base standard of freedom to spew their shit. But when someone else says they are wrong, they don't argue: They yell to shut up the opposition.

Now the rest will feel threatened. You think people are going to stay quiet?

A debate would imply there is a valid argument to be made in favor of racism. Do you have one?

Are you being purposefully obtuse? They would not be debating racism (not debatable), they would be debating climate denial. But because they are trump supporters, they have been labeled racist.

How can you debate climate denial with a Trump supporter if they are banned for being a trump supporter because they are racist?

Nowhere, have I said they deserve a platform to spew racism. I don't know how you read into that.

NeOak

Are you being purposefully obtuse? They would not be debating racism (not debatable), they would be debating climate denial. But because they are trump supporters, they have been labeled racist.

How can you debate climate denial with a Trump supporter if they are banned for being a trump supporter because they are racist?

Nowhere, have I said they deserve a platform to spew racism. I don't know how you read into that.

Have you seen how they talk about people that voted for Hillary?

As for Climate Change, since it is what you talk about in your response: their main argument is that there are "dissenting opinions" about all the studies that say one thing.

Some BS about "half the scientists don't agree" or some bullcrap that won't pass a fact check.

Why would they want to argue? Science says you get a cold because you catch a virus. They don't dispute that. But Climate? "People think otherwise".

Reminds of me antivaxxers.

Nice debate.

Farewell

Yea was just a matter of time before trump is doing the first steps to fuck the world and that not even 1 month after the election.

Things will just get worse from now on, i shudder when i think about what will happen next after 1 year with this clown of a president.

Recent research found that just five more years of carbon dioxide emissions at current levels will virtually wipe out any chance of restraining temperatures to a 1.5C increase and avoid runaway climate change.
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...mate-change-warning-earth-temperature-warming

Alright, alright. We really have to stop procrastinating.
So what does the new government of the country with the second highest greenhouse gas emission say?

Priebus confirms that climate denial will be the official policy of Trump’s administration

Oh. Ok. That's that then. Let's all live on higher ground with enough food I guess.

Dr.Acula

Banned

Ever cook together with people, everyone's helping out, everything's going great, and then one person burns the vegetables? How do you unburn the vegetables?

Nocebo

Yea was just a matter of time before trump is doing the first steps to fuck the world and that not even 1 month after the election.

Things will just get worse from now on, i shudder when i think about what will happen next after 1 year with this clown of a president.
People can do plenty to prevent donald trump from fucking the world.
Buy less useless stuff, buy green useful stuff and or donate to useful stuff.
Eat less of certain stuff (especially beef).
Use modes of transport that are less taxing on the environment more often.

Also I think it's interesting that people are saying "the world is fucked because trump" but what about those decades before? It's not like climate change is a revelation that descended from the heavens recently. What were the excuses before trump got elected?

Besides, I'm pretty sure our collective wallets have more power than our votes.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...mate-change-warning-earth-temperature-warming

So what does the new government of the country with the second highest greenhouse gas emission say?

Oh. Ok. That's that then. Let's all live on higher ground with enough food I guess.
How lovely. Now we have to deal with the fact that we will be living in a very unpleasant place at the end of our lives (I'm mid twenty right now, I will get to see the consequences) because the American electorate decided to throw a hissy fit and half the citizenship didn't even bother to vote. Polite words can't describe what I am feeling right now. Unless China and India somehow manage to make up for by reducing their own emmissions AND America's share in not even 5 years, which is very likely impossible even under the most optimistic circumstances.

pixelation

Please take me off this bizarro time line where the oompa loompa with the roadkill hair piece is gonna be leading this country starting next year...

Dr.Acula

Banned

As if /r/the_donald, Breitbart, /pol/, Stormfront, et al aren't safe space echo chambers for the alt-right. One of the common explanations for Trump defying the polls is that people hid their support for him in public.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Have you seen how they talk about people that voted for Hillary?

As for Climate Change, since it is what you talk about in your response: their main argument is that there are "dissenting opinions" about all the studies that say one thing.

Some BS about "half the scientists don't agree" or some bullcrap that won't pass a fact check.

Why would they want to argue? Science says you get a cold because you catches a virus. They don't dispute that. But Climate? "People think otherwise".

Reminds of me antivaxxers.

Nice debate.

The disease that has infected media in general and helped create this environment is the fixation with false equivalency. Every opinion on every subject has the same weight, there is no reality, only points of view, who knows what is true, the truth must always be precisely in the middle of two talking heads no matter what each one is asserting. In part, it has resulted in a lot of people who get furious when a bunch of people "gang up on them" by informing them their opinion or belief sounds cranky or uninformed.

I've seen this shit go round and round. Often the supposedly oppressed dissenting person comes into a discussion phrasing everything in a pre-emptively accusatory manner, basically saying "Oh sure, I could throw THE SEARING HOT TRUTH at you SHEEPLE, but this ECHO CHAMBER will never listen!"

See: the flag burning thread where a poster does come out, but literally cannot stop from going straight on the attack about all you stupid libruls and your stupid safe spaces you whiny little children. You can't handle the truth. Really comes across as someone who is dying for some fair and balanced discussion between adults, for a change.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

I'm morbidly curious to see what the excuse will be when Florida is literally sinking beneath the waves. Shit, maybe if we explained that climate change will increase immigration and give contribute to even more refugees the right wing will take it seriously :|

Monocle

Great job electing this clown America.
Just remember: only around half of all eligible voters actually voted this year, and of those, fewer than half managed to elect the orange buffoon thanks to the perverse quirks of the electoral college.

The majority of Americans don't support him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom