• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Climate denial will be the official policy of Trump’s administration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once told an American friend of mine to listen to the scientific community and not the politicians when it came to scientific subjects. He replied that scientists are not objective because they do science for a living.

I didn't really know how to respond to that. How can people hold science in such a low regard?
I really don't get this. Americans pride themselves on having the best universities in the world. But let's not believe them when they actually do what they are good at.

jelly

The coming decades will be China's time to shine on the global stage.

That's the thing, even if climate change is somehow not real you've just conceded the renewable industry etc. to China and others. Completely stupid when you actually need manufacturing jobs.

I think Trump is taking a short term view on job opportunity with fossil fuels as that's an easy win but long term he has screwed America who will be forever behind or playing catch up when they didn't need to. Easy money and easy jobs are why they are anti climate change.

I don't get it. Even if you really truly believe climate change is a lie surely erring on the side of caution anyways is a good thing? How is using renewable energy going to make it worse? It's like taking an umbrella out with you, sure the weather man said it'll be sunny but no harm taking it just in case he's wrong.

But instead of posting your disgust at this on a forum every American needs to actively do something. Write letters, start a movement, do your own things to fight back! Writing on neogaf won't do anything.

Krejlooc

Banned
That's the thing, even if climate change is somehow not real you've just conceded the renewable industry etc. to China and others. Completely stupid when you actually need manufacturing jobs.

I think Trump is taking a short term view on job opportunity with fossil fuels as that's an easy win but long term he has screwed America who will be forever behind or playing catch up when they didn't need to. Easy money and easy jobs are why they are anti climate change.

Of fucking course. Every shitty decision coming are ones that will make billionaires even richer in the short term.

Of fucking course. Every shitty decision coming are ones that will make billionaires even richer in the short term.

b-b-b-but let's get rid of corrupt politicians guys, there's much corrupt, such money.

Edit: Can you guys not just learn for S.Korea and do something or are you all going to live with your tail between your legs?

Tregard

Soothsayer
"Stop complaining guuuys. Hes gonna be our president whether you like it or not. The recount or trying to convince the EC to change their vote is a waste of time."

That shitty-ass defeatism I see everywhere is part of the reason why this is happening.

I must say I do feel a little conflicted that the Green Party will be spending any surplus funds from the recount on staff training rather than environmental work. I suppose it could be argued they are two sides of the same coin, but it seems a bit hypocritical.

Hopefully in light of this news they will change their plans with the surplus.

Krejlooc

Banned
b-b-b-but let's get rid of corrupt politicians guys, there's much corrupt, such money.

I've compared Donald Trump to Duke Philips in the critic, in the episode where he runs for president. He almost wins because he gets people hooked by saying "I'm a billionaire, the only person who could bribe me would be a bazillionaire!"

But he loses his election in the end because he accidentally goes off script and describes what he'll really do if he wins the presidency.

We live in a reality where a cartoon is more sensible.

PkunkFury

I don't get it. Even if you really truly believe climate change is a lie surely erring on the side of caution anyways is a good thing? How is using renewable energy going to make it worse? It's like taking an umbrella out with you, sure the weather man said it'll be sunny but no harm taking it just in case he's wrong.

Exactly! It's Pascal's Wager, but grounded in reality. Sacrifice some near term luxury for the possible of long term safety. Of course these nuts will gladly side with Pascal, but won't apply the same philosophy to science

When you can't find work and your kids are hungry you don't have the luxury of worrying about the long term. Somehow Trump was the only person who realized this.

900x900px-LL-0a9ad1d3_ccmj.gif

Don't say that :( trump gon be pres for 2 days pls and then pence for some miraculous reasons vanishes from the face of the earth within that time frame

If we all chant YASS QUEEN loud and often enough, I'm sure everything will come out ok.

Trokil

Banned
Include the idiots who didn't vote because both candidates are the same.

Well, to be honest, Obama was not really a figure head for climate change either neither was Hillary. They at least accepted it, but Obama was only doing a lot of stuff, because the rest of the world was moving along. There never was this big initiative like in Germany to change things towards wind and solar or going out of nuclear.

Even during the Obama years, California dragged everybody else along, because they moved on.

Cipherr

Why does America not believe in climate change again?

Plenty don't deny it. But theres money to be made in current times if we don't do things to combat climate change so..... large companies and lobbyist want to pretend it doesn't exist. Sacrifice the future for profit today. Unfortunately the country has soooo bought into the Us vs Them mentality by this point that people blinding vote "their team" and only listen to "their team" above anything else, including science and experts.

So all the Conservative party had to do was drag Climate Change until they created the impression that it was a political issue and not a scientific one.

Now Climate change isn't viewed as 'Science' by Republican voters, but instead as 'One of those things the OTHER TEAM likes'. So by default, they are against it. Its a fucking hot mess, and one that will cost humanity so much more than just about everything else that's being battled for along party lines right now.

Embarrassing to be a part of this generation of humanity.

E-Cat

America has fucked the rest of the world in the ass so much, I feel nothing anymore.

Nothing but hate, that is.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The most stupid thing about this is that denying climate change is bad business in the medium term. Not just because of the awful implications of it on the environment, but because America has a good number of high end companies and is really well positioned to corner the market for renewables due its large population and energy potential, but the GOP is still on that DRILL DRILL BABY high. It's madness. This is like betting on steam technology in the 20th century.

Elon Musk must be fuming. Maybe the EU should start poaching talent right away now that we want to divest from Russia's gas. Push for renewables like crazy, create a huge fund for start-ups and companies that want to relocate.

I notice a lot of people lately - not just on GAF - seem to get into hysterics about this and act as if global warming is going to kill them.

We'll all be dead before anything happens - It's not worth worrying about.

We should of course try to minimise the damage, I 'believe' in global warming and don't want us to speed up the destruction of society as we know it, but if we can't then don't lose sleep over it because it's not going to kill you.

Bit different if you have kids, admittedly.

RocknRola

The combination of lots of EU countries going all green will contribute to lower prices and more green infrastructure so other countries can easier follow. China is also doing a lot, but considering their size and energy needs they have a ton of coal of course. But at least they see the need to move forward.

Hopefully so. Though that usually happens when the big countries need to implement it; ie implementing fiber optics (internet) on Texas alone would contribute towards that (decreasing costs and more know-how) a lot more than implementing in the entirety of Portugal. Size matters in these things too.

Hey, at least the history books will show that you guys were on the right side of history. That counts for something.

Well, I'd like us to be there to read said history books too. And in 2016 (almost 2017 already) having a country like US, arguably the biggest change maker in the World if it so wants, take this stance is...well...disappointing would be puttting it midly...

I notice a lot of people lately - not just on GAF - seem to get into hysterics about this and act as if global warming is going to kill them.

We should of course try to minimise the damage, I 'believe' in global warming and don't want us to speed up the destruction of society as we know it, but if we can't then don't lose sleep over it because it's not going to kill you.

This line of thinking is exactly why it's a problem.

Nikodemos

Not everybody on GAF is 24 and sporadically in and out of relationships, you know.

This line of thinking is exactly why it's a problem.
Also yes.

Don't forget that, before things become thoroughly fucked, they'll continue to deteriorate. This deterioration will coincide with the period when most GAFers will be old, weak and more or less helpless.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

You may be misjudging GAF's age and marital status. Or guys who just want to have a family one day in the future.

Gorger

I am not American, but I really hope if Trump and his lackeys really goes down this path that they will get strong condemnations from other world leaders and that USA gets severe sanctions from the rest of the world unless they change their ways. You want to fuck up your country by electing an inept incompetent bumbling idiot is one thing, but with your countrys pick you're now actually threatening the future of the whole planet and billions of people in the process. The world cannot stand idly by and wait for US to get out of their backward, conspiratorial, anti-science bubble. The world is slowly dying each day and if we don't act now it's going to be too late!

I am just so sad and furious that we're losing decades of progress, and we can do nothing but watch helplessly as it unfolds.

E-Cat

Yeah, cause fuck the future generations if they aren't your direct descendants, right?

Not to mention moving away from renewables at this stage doesn't make ECONOMIC sense!! ffs, how can people be this thick?

This is all that needs to be said about climate change. The movement towards humans having less of an impact on the planet by rethinking how we get our energy, how we travel etc is an objective positive.

climate-change-comic.jpg

It's like trying to teach a hardcore creationist evolution. Nothing you can say to prove your position

At this point even if the world was on fire people would deny it as they erupt in flames out of principle. Because they'd probably rather die in a fire rather than admit a liberal was right about anything.

Wouldn't it be crazy if the survival of mankind was based on America either fighting another civil war over this or a foreign country invading due to this?

Our country has just become the comic book villian.

Ayye, Fuck Trump!

RocknRola

This is a weird stance to take about this. Every single country that has a maritime coast + all islands will feel the effects of this as soon as it happens (aka, slow but sure progress of the sea towards the land). That is not mention the actual and very tangible changes that the rising sea level can have on the global climate which may indeed screw all of us.

It's in Humanity's best interest to damage control this as much as we possibly can. If not for us directly, for the future generations at least.

Alchemy

Real question, if there are severe economic sanctions placed on the US how does that impact the countries carbon footprint?

This is a weird stance to take about this. Every single country that has a maritime coast + all islands will feel the effects of this as soon as it happens (aka, slow but sure progress of the sea towards the land). That is not mention the actual climate changes that the rising sea level can have on the global climate which may indeed screw all of us.

It's in Humanity's best interest to damage control this as much as we possibly can. If not for us directly, for the future generations at least.

Yeah, cause fuck the future generations if they aren't your direct descendants, right?

Not to mention moving away from renewables at this stage doesn't make ECONOMIC sense!! ffs, how can people be this thick?

I specifically said I'm all for taking action and don't want it to get worse.

I just find it weird that if it gets to the point where progress isn't being made, lots of people seem to be worrying about their own situation. It's anxiety over something that won't impact you - spend time worrying about something more immediate instead that you have control over.

Mr Swine

Banned
So in the near future America is going to have a really really hard time with clean energy and whatnot while other countries will reap the benefits of USA being to dumb?

What frustrates me the most about this bullshit is knowing my nephew and future kids will have a hard time to grow up due to imbeciles like Trump and his ilk.

They should be condemned at any opportunity possible

E-Cat

I just find it weird that if it gets to the point where progress isn't being made, lots of people seem to be worrying about their own situation. It's anxiety over something that won't impact you - spend time worrying about something more immediate instead that you have control over.
How old are you? You will almost certainly experience many effects during your own lifetime.

What if some people want to put the general interest ahead of their personal, immediate gain? Just a crazy thought.

We're doomed.

Let's get cracking on those Ark ships.

That's the same kind of argument people have been using for ages while polluting and fucking up the planet for others. It's bullshit. We're not gonna face the brunt of it, but our children are. The people of the future are. I'd like for human civilization to endure. People not looking at the bigger picture, like your argument here, are the reason it's going to vanish.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Real question, if there are severe economic sanctions placed on the US how does that impact the countries carbon footprint?

It's a bit difficult to put sanctions on one of the top 3 economies, not to mention the one in control of the USD. At least without unleashing a trade war. The ball is on Trump's roof here.

With that said, I'd expect a huge loss of international prestige (meaning investment money for renewables going somewhere else) and more countries pushing for indigenously developed technologies if Trump makes a huge mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom