• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CLOUD ATLAS |OT| (dir. Wachowskis, Tykwer) Death. Life. Birth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinCow

Banned
In the book, Frobisher believes they've already had their happy 'ending', and will continue to again and again for all time. It's the ending passage of Frobisher's story in the book and one of the most beautiful things I have ever read.

But how? Frobisher killed himself and Sixsmith never got to see him again. That's not a happy ending. :(

Ashhong

But how? Frobisher killed himself and Sixsmith never got to see him again. That's not a happy ending. :(

Maybe through
reincarnation? He also mentions in the movie how he would be waiting for him in the afterlife. So I guess a happy ending since Sixsmith dies and can now be reunited?

The movie description for this says "a single act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution in the distant future". What was that single act? Also, does anybody have a list of every character with the
comet tattoo
?

Lumiere

Neo Member
Maybe through
reincarnation? He also mentions in the movie how he would be waiting for him in the afterlife. So I guess a happy ending since Sixsmith dies and can now be reunited?

The movie description for this says "a single act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution in the distant future". What was that single act? Also, does anybody have a list of every character with the
comet tattoo
?
Ewing, Frobisher, Luisa Rey, Sonmi, Zachry. IIRC no one has the birthmark in Timothy Cavendish's story.
Also, I might be completely wrong but in the book
I thought Meronym has the the birthmark instead of Zachry?

About Frobisher,
I teared up at the end of his story :( Also found it weirdly touching that Sixsmith died in such a similar way.

Crisco

Banned
Maybe through

comet tattoo
?

I'm assuming it's referencing the
lawyer saving the slave.

Ceebs

That
speed bike chase
was pretty Wachowski, and pretty fucking awesome.

I actually thought the big action stuff in that entire timeline felt very out of place. In fact the whole timeline was the only real weak spot of the entire movie for me.

Ashhong

Ewing, Frobisher, Luisa Rey, Sonmi, Zachry. IIRC no one has the birthmark in Timothy Cavendish's story.

About Frobisher,
I teared up at the end of his story :( Also found it weirdly touching that Sixsmith died in such a similar way.

Hmm I wonder if there is any important in what characters had it? They were all
changing the world
?

I'm assuming it's referencing the
lawyer saving the slave.

Hmm, true since that was the earliest story. I am not quite sure how that leads to the end result. Really need to watch it again so I can connect each story in my mind. I rewatched the extended trailer and wow, the first minute is amazing. The way they connect each plot is great.

I actually thought the big action stuff in that entire timeline felt very out of place. In fact the whole timeline was the only real weak spot of the entire movie for me.

It was a bit out of place, but a weak spot? You cray.

Daft_Cat

What little action that timeline had was some of the best action I've seen on screen in years. The art design and VFX were so stunning...

Lumiere

Neo Member
changing the world
?
As far as the book goes, I believe the author stated that
the characters with the comet birthmark are reincarnations of the same soul.
I feel that this came off as quite obvious in the book, while the movie makes things more confusing by having the same actors portraying different characters in most, if not all, stories. Not complaining though, I liked the final result!

DrEvil

not a medical professional
changing the world?

That's what I figured.
Each one who had it at in each story were the ones making a difference in tht storyline.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
An excerpt:

"Rome’ll decline and fall again, Cortes’ll lay Tenochtitilan to waste again, and later, Ewing will sail again, Adrian’ll be blown to pieces again, you and I’ll sleep under the Corsican stars again, I’ll come to Bruges again, fall in and out of love with Eva again, you’ll read this letter again, the sun’ll grow cold again."

There's more, and it's kind if crucial, but because that moment existed it will forever. How it ended is irrelevant because there is no ending.

Don't get me wrong, poor Sixsmith gets nothing but a metaphorical happy ending.

Brannon

WELL.

I ignored everything about Cloud Atlas and though I was going to watch something about a city in the clouds or something like that. ~oh my!~ how wrong I was. It was lovely, moving, highly entertaining and well... the worst thing about this movie is that I can't watch it again for the first time.

This will not do.

No.

This will not do. At all.

tumblr_lxla5bjFOc1qbfnje.gif

...so yeah I guess I'm going to go see this new movie... CLOUD something or other. Probably some fruity Wachowski movie about CGI cities in the sky or some shit. I'll be back with my impressions later.

Kellen

I thought the film was pretty good. It's nice that this year we've had some really ambitious pictures made. The Robert Frobisher storyline was easily my favorite, I also enjoyed the Sonmi-451 parts as well (mainly the awesome chase scene.) I wasn't a fan of Hanks or Halle in this though. The visual effects were great, the make up eh not so much. Always nice seeing Hugo Weaving being ruthless on the screen though.

cashman

Banned

About Frobisher,

Cavendish has a birthmark on his leg IIRC

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Having not seen a single trailer, knowing not one iota of the plot or premise, I picked up the book last week and have been working through it (not even going to read the replies in this thread until I finish). Just reached
Orison of Sonmi-451
and this just keeps getting better and better, I've finally caught on to the book's structure and I'm really curious to see where things end up.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Day 1, Imax, and I only watched part of a trailer.

My mind was blown and I'm so fucking happy I saw it before I could get spoiled on it. Sat talking to someone at a party last night for a good 20 minutes about the film, and we both we're still raving about it by the end.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I need to watch it again and read the book.

And watch it a third time with subtitles. I felt like I couldn't hear a lot of the dialogue.

The bafoon waiting for the 2:50 showing, coming into a theater that says 3:50, asking me how long it's been on near the ending making me miss stuff didn't help.

I need to pay attention to the beginning and ending more.

mudkyp

Just got back from seeing it. Found it to be really wonderful. Found it to be really soulful and beautiful in a lot of ways. Go see it if you can, especially on the big screen.

I agree that Broadbent was perfectly cast as Cavendish. Cavendish's story was probably my least favorite in the book, but it was great in the movie thanks to Broadbent's performance. I saw the movie at 10:45 last night and the theatre only had like 10 people in it but they were laughing aloud at his stuff. It was great.

Funniest line in the movie:
"The one and only reason listed for admission: pussy."

Ugh, I remember that line but I can't remember the context =/ What was it exactly?

This movie has way too much to take in all at once

So while the film is looking at a weak $20m or so opening weekend, there have been reports e the crazy weather really affecting this weekend's B.O.

AeroGod

So while the film is looking at a weak $20m or so opening weekend, there have been reports e the crazy weather really affecting this weekend's B.O.

I wouldnt just blame that though. The largest 24 screen Cinemark in my area only had it on one small screen auditorium with 3 showing for the entire day. The reviews are only so-so for the most part as far as your general run of the mill movie going audience is concerned also.

cruets

just got back. i had no clue what this movie was. never heard of the book, never saw a trailer. but i heard the wachowski's on the nerdist podcast so i i went to see it. and i left with my mind blown. even if it doesnt do well at the box office, i will still consider it a triumph in movie making

Ashhong

Ugh, I remember that line but I can't remember the context =/ What was it exactly?

This movie has way too much to take in all at once

I forgot names
old guy's past when he was having sex with his girl and her parents came in and the cat attacked his dick lol

100m was the entire budget including marketing yes? I forgot the specifics of their budget. 20m doesn't sound too bad for domestic opening weekend.

I forgot names
old guy's past when he was having sex with his girl and her parents came in and the cat attacked his dick lol

100m was the entire budget including marketing yes? I forgot the specifics of their budget. 20m doesn't sound too bad for domestic opening weekend.

100m is the production budget. Marketing not included.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Very good movie but it needs a second viewing for me. It makes me curious enough to pick up the book.

I wonder how well the material could have been tackled if this was a miniseries or multiple films.

Camp Lo

Banned
Saw it this past Saturday and meh, it was exhausting and exhilarating. I couldn't watch it again ever but I'm glad i saw it.

Zebra

Even if this film performs poorly domestically, I'd bet it it will do just fine in the international markets. I'm not too worried about it, but only disappointed in my fellow Americans' tastes, as per usual. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom