• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CLOUD ATLAS |OT| (dir. Wachowskis, Tykwer) Death. Life. Birth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

I knew it was going to be a complete bomb when I saw the first trailer.

When there is no effective way to get the story across in 2-3 minutes (let alone a 30 second TV spot), you've made a film that is basically unmarketable. The R-rating is probably also a kiss of death. Nobody is going to see Cloud Atlas unless it gets some pretty notable Oscar nominations.

My screening tonight had a fair number of people in it though, of all ages and backgrounds. One awesome mother had brought her 10-12 year old kid, and had to keep grabbing him to shield his eyes whenever there was some nudity or sex going on. Kinda hilarious.

Daft_Cat

Welp.

That was the best thing I've seen in ages. I was floored. My friends were divided. GAF will love it. In 5 years, so will the rest of the world.

I knew it was going to be a complete bomb when I saw the first trailer.

When there is no effective way to get the story across in 2-3 minutes (let alone a 30 second TV spot), you've made a film that is basically unmarketable. Nobody is going to see this film unless it gets some pretty notable Oscar nominations.

LOL. The Academy is going to run from this film like a ginger from a hot summer's day.

gatti-man

Movie was cool but god damn that middle is dry. It's like every plot loses steam at the same time and there is a good 15-20 minutes where I'm looking for the door before things pick back up. Movie was too long and indulgent but still a good watch.

Alcander

Havent seen it yet but how closely does it follow the book? I noticed from the trailers that a lot of characters seem to be swapped.

As for the book, I'm probably in the minority, but I didn't like it all that much. I loved certain stories (Frobisher) but as a whole I thought it was pretty weak. The "connections", if you can even call the that, were extremely tangential and honestly didn't pull the stories together. It seemed like a few decent stories which *tried* to tie themselves together, but really just referenced themselves. Some of the stories were quite good, though, but others were pretty bad IMO (the plot revolving around the reporter girl, mainly).

To be frank, it was a neat idea, and I absolutely adore the variety of writing style and language, but the book on a whole didn't coalesce like I was hoping it would. The first Frobisher story where he discovered Ewing's journal set it up to be amazing, but it didn't follow through.

ckohler

I just got back and I really enjoyed it! The editing for the movie versus how the book was structured does indeed work well on film. If the book had been written the way this movie was edited, it would certainly be unreadable mess. So, I'm surprised you guys who didn't read the book found the plots easy enough to follow. I give that to the power of cinema to tell stories a different way.

Now, for the changes from the book:
I have to say that the first 20 minutes are pretty much exactly the same as what happens in the beginning of the stories from the book. After about the half way point however, things start to change some. Without a doubt Somni's and Zachary's stories were the most changed but the major beats were all there, even much of the dialog.

One thing they added for the movie that I felt was a little strange was
space travel
. I'm not really sure that was necessary. Maybe they thought the movie needed to end on a more "hopeful" beat and that story's ending in the book isn't nearly as hopeful. Still, it strains credibility more so than the book's version where
they simply travel to another island
. Also, I take it they are supposed to be
on Mars considering they can see Earth from where they are sitting
. Again, it's plausible but also kinda not. Oh well.

Anyone who reads the book after seeing the movie is certainly going to get a different experience for the Somni and Zachary stories. Much better in the book if only because there is soooo much more richness and detail in the book that isn't explained clearly enough in the movie. Still, I liked seeing those stories brought to life non-the-less.

The other four stories played out exactly as I imagined them in my head so the directors did a good job of translating those to the screen.

I also didn't find the movie dragging for being nearly 3 hours. Much of this I credit to the fact that you're basically watching six movies at once so there really isn't a lot of opportunity for the story to lull.

Great stuff! If anyone who's seen the movie has questions from someone who's read the book, let me know and I'll answer.

border

One thing they added for the movie that I felt was a little strange was
space travel
. I'm not really sure that was necessary. Maybe they thought the movie needed to end on a more "hopeful" beat and that story's ending in the book isn't nearly as hopeful. Still, it strains credibility more so than the book's version where
they simply travel to another island
. Also, I take it they are supposed to be
on Mars considering they can see Earth from where they are sitting
. Again, it's plausible but also kinda not. Oh well.

Who was Meronym sending the distress beacon to in the novel? Just some other society on the other side of the world? Or was the beacon not in the book at all, and she just needs safe passage to some other island?

The whole Zachry story has a rather bothersome and obvious inconsistency -- if Meronym's society still has access to advanced technology, why does she need some dude to lead her to the top of a mountain? Can't she just fly up there in a hoverbike or a helicopter or something? I suspect the novel probably covers this, but the movie just ignores it.

Ashhong

LOL. The Academy is going to run from this film like a ginger from a hot summer's day.

Speaking of gingers...there is one creepy ass ginger character in this movie lol

Anyway, just got back and I really don't know what to think. Well, no, first I know I really enjoyed it. Great everything. Acting, plot, editing, music, directing, everything. The scope of this film is just incredible. For the first time in a long time, I feel like I got my money's worth at the theater. I think the team put love and care into every frame of this movie, and it shows.

The thing is, as much as I loved it, and was engaged in the movie, I almost feel like I didn't "get" it. I feel like there should be some big meaning behind the movie but I don't know it. Weird complaint, I know. But regardless, fantastic piece of cinema. Really need to watch it again with subtitles.

So is this like "Tree of Life" amazing where it's unwatchable? I've tried reading up on it and still don't know what to make of it, and the videos I've seen don't help at all. Mostly thinking of seeing it because Tom Hanks is great.

Speaking of gingers...there is one creepy ass ginger character in this movie lol

Anyway, just got back and I really don't know what to think. Well, no, first I know I really enjoyed it. Great everything. Acting, plot, editing, music, directing, everything. The scope of this film is just incredible. For the first time in a long time, I feel like I got my money's worth at the theater. I think the team put love and care into every frame of this movie, and it shows.

The thing is, as much as I loved it, and was engaged in the movie, I almost feel like I didn't "get" it. I feel like there should be some big meaning behind the movie but I don't know it. Weird complaint, I know. But regardless, fantastic piece of cinema. Really need to watch it again with subtitles.
I felt the same way the first time I saw it.
Basically the movie's main theme is that all of these characters are trying to change the world even though they may feel insignificant on their own, like their actions are but a drop in an ocean. But what is an ocean, if not a series of drops?

And no it is nowhere near as tough to watch as Tree of Life is.

Ashhong

So is this like "Tree of Life" amazing where it's unwatchable? I've tried reading up on it and still don't know what to make of it, and the videos I've seen don't help at all. Mostly thinking of seeing it because Tom Hanks is great.

No. Hell no. I hate Tree of Life. Boring ass movie. This is so much better.

I felt the same way the first time I saw it.
Basically the movie's main theme is that all of these characters are trying to change the world even though they may feel insignificant on their own, like their actions are but a drop in an ocean. But what is an ocean, if not a series of drops?

That's it? Not that that's nothing, I just thought it would be something bigger. I'll take that though.

I liked speed racer and I liked this film. The cloud atlas symphony movie was probably the best shot cinematically, the way the dialog was framed was extremely intimate.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
There was something ineffable about 'Tree of Life' that makes it a different experience than what's provided by Cloud Atlas. I loved both.

The only thing Oscar-worthy about this movie is the editing. The editing should get a Nobel Peace prize. It almost makes the experience work, despite how heavy-handed and flat the storytelling is.

Saw it last night on a double date, and none of us had read the book, and we all loved it. We didn't really know what to expect and for the majority of the movie, why what was being presented to us. In the end we understood the theme of freedom being timeless, and destiny, and revolution (no matter the scale.)

Obviously one of those movies you need to watch twice, as now I know what cues to look for throughout the film. Hopefully second and third viewings will help the box office for this film. For what it's worth, my theater was full up, which I thought was a good early indication. Early viewers will spread the word, and the film might do well in the end.

Also didn't see coming:
Soylent Green is People as foreshadowing, and the ending where they weren't on earth anymore which was also foreshadowed by Neo Seoul.

Great film. Interested in checking out the book.

I thought the movie was great. Didn't feel like a 3 hours movie at all to me and I watched it when I was pretty tired at 10pm. This is the first movie I would love to see a second time while it's still in theaters. Definitely will be picking up the book now.

edit: I thought I followed all the actors/actresses really well, definitely missed some in the end credits.
Same here. I did miss a few, but I got most of them.

JB1981

if the soundtrack is any indication of the quality of the movie well, then, this should be something awfully special

Montresor

I thought the movie was great. Didn't feel like a 3 hours movie at all to me and I watched it when I was pretty tired at 10pm. This is the first movie I would love to see a second time while it's still in theaters. Definitely will be picking up the book now.

Same here. I did miss a few, but I got most of them.

I've done the bolded soooo many times in the past couple of years. I'm getting sick and tired of the huge lag time between theatre and home release. When I decide that I want to watch a movie again I have very little patience. I end up going to the theatre again.

jtb

Banned
Just saw it, not sure if it added up to more than the sum of its parts (some of the parts were simply excellent, others... ehhh), but it's definitely big, bold, fun, and probably a bit too pretentious. One hell of a ride; barely felt like three hours. Don't get the Tree of Life comparisons at all; this is really very opposite that—incredibly explicit and deliberate in a way that was very different from the looser pace to the Tree of Life.

Surprisingly, theater was packed for a saturday morning showing (though you could also chalk that up to the Hurricane, so everyone's trying to get their movie watching in today...) and the audience really seemed to react to the humor and violence. (And I loved the violence in this; used to great effect here.)

I didn't like the far future storyline at all, outside of a few little bits, and it would've been the worst had it not been for the fucking awful 1970s nuclear power storyline. That one definitely connected the least to the others and was just dull — did it serve any plot purpose other than to set up the Hanks development (and foreshadow that the Earth had been undergoing significant nuclear decay of some sort)? At least the far future storyline built on the theme of cannibalism (and, obviously, I didn't realize it was the far future until they dated it).

I was a big big fan of the present day storyline; very funny, had a great tone to it. Also liked the 1850s storyline, the composer storyline both excellent. Was left a bit confused by the Neo Seoul one, a lot of plot seemed rushed through in that one—wouldn't have minded spending a little more time with that one, especially considering how significant it seemed.

Also, as someone who didn't read the book, it was incredibly easy to follow the plot—no thanks to the excellent editing. The whole thing is just really well-made; some gorgeous shots, the acting is solid throughout, and it was just a really engaging experience. Highly recommend it and hope it does well at the box office.

Jimothy

If I had to rank the character story lines:

1. Robert Frobisher
2. Richard Cavendish
3. Adam Ewing
4. Somni 451
5. Luisa Ray
6. Zachry

1. Robert Frobisher
2. Richard Cavendish
3. Adam Ewing
4. Somni 451
5. Luisa Ray
6. Zachry

I think Robert Frobisher story line is everyone's #1. It was mine tied with Somni 541 which made me have flashbacks to matrix.

jtb

Banned

1. Robert Frobisher
2. Richard Cavendish
3. Adam Ewing
4. Somni 451
5. Luisa Ray
6. Zachry

Basically my rankings as well. Top three were definitely a big step above the bottom three for me. Except switch those last two; there was zero redemption for the Luisa Ray storyline besides
the lady killing Hugo Weaving's character. That was fucking hilarious and awesome.
And Frobisher's storyline was just excellent. Really wanted more of Sonmi 451's story... it felt a little incomplete compared to the others.

I totally forgot the movie was R. Is it a hard R, or a "there's a boob" R?

They say "fuck" a lot, there's nudity, there's violence. It's not a particularly hard R, but it's more worthy of the rating than, say, the Matrix movies.

weepy

I want to see the movie and I have the book on hold for me. Should I read the book before seeing the movie for spoiler sake or would it not matter?

jtb

Banned
Well this type of movie was never going to open big. It's only hope was really international numbers and legs. Plus, it was independently financed, right? I can't imagine this was a particularly big financial risk for anyone involved—sounds like it was shared between many different parties. And we don't have to worry about getting a sequel.

Saw this last night and was mesmerized. From the first shot to the last I was hooked and in for the ride. Very easy to follow and just such a great life changing movie. I agree with the notion that it could have been even longer. I am encouraging everyone I know personally to go and see this, and I know I will be going back for seconds.

ckohler

Who was Meronym sending the distress beacon to in the novel? Just some other society on the other side of the world? Or was the beacon not in the book at all, and she just needs safe passage to some other island?

The whole Zachry story has a rather bothersome and obvious inconsistency -- if Meronym's society still has access to advanced technology, why does she need some dude to lead her to the top of a mountain? Can't she just fly up there in a hoverbike or a helicopter or something? I suspect the novel probably covers this, but the movie just ignores it.

In the book, their trip up to the observatory on top of the mountain appeared to be purely academic for Meronym.
She goes up to lean more about the Oldens. It's was just a radio telescope, not some kind of communicator. Zachary and his Valleysmen are much more important than depicted in the movie because in the book Meronym tells Zachary that the real reason the Precients are there is to study why the Valleysmen are the only stable "advanced" society besides the Precients left in Earth. Everywhere else, humans have degenerated into cannibals and savages like the Kona. The Precients are dying off from plagues and there are now very few left and they were there to lean if they could integrate with the Valleysmen and kick start humanity again.

We are told in the book that while the Precients do have advanced technology, they don't really have the means to make it.
It's all just leftovers from the Oldens. So, they might not have any planes. However, like I said, getting to the top if the mountain isn't that important in the novel. It's just a side plot convienance to have Zachary learn about Somni's true history and for him and Meornym to bond.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
In the book, their trip up to the observatory on top of the mountain appeared to be purely academic for Moronym. She goes up to lean more about the Oldens. It's was just a radio telescope, not some kind of communicator. Zachary's and his Valleysmen are much more important than depicted in the movie because in the book Meronym tells Zachary that the real reason the Precients are there is to study why the Valleysmen are the only stable society besides the Precients left in Earth. Everywhere else, humans have degenerated into cannibals and savages like the Kona. The Precients are dying off from plagues and there are few left and they were there to lean if they could live with the Valleysmen and kick start humanity again.

We are told int the book that while the Precients do have advanced technology, they don't really have the means to mane it. It's just leftovers from the Oldens. So, they might not have any planes. However, like I said, getting got th top if the mountain isn't that important in the novel. It's just a plot convienance to have Zachary lean about Somni's true history and for him and Meornym to bond,

Some dude went in the wrong theater and started asking me a question at the end.

In the movie did they travel to Mars from Earth? I didn't know the significance of pointing out Earth in the sky.

ckohler

Some dude went in the wrong theater and started asking me a question at the end.

In the movie did they travel to Mars from Earth? I didn't know the significance of pointing out the planet in the sky.
I believe so but only in the scene with the old Zachary. It's never stated directly "where" they are but that is the most logical assumption.
Unlike the book, Hawaii (along with the rest of Earth) is apparently irradiated heavily from Nuclear war so I guess they have to leave Earth entirely to survive.

In the movie did they travel to Mars from Earth? I didn't know the significance of pointing out Earth in the sky.

in the end they're in an entirely different galaxy. the significance was related to the ppart in the beginning when he was talking about the connectedness of our histories

jtb

Banned
I believe so. It's never stated directly "where" they are but that is the most logical considering they can see the Earth as a blue dot int the sky.

In the film there's (I'm just going to spoiler this, because I'm not sure what the policy is for the thread) an implication that
the far future has high... radiation levels or something (assuming I interpreted that right?) because Moronym can't stay there long and keeps injecting herself with... whatever that thing was.
Is that present in the book? And is that supposed to be a thread carried over from the 1970s storyline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom