• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CLOUD ATLAS |OT| (dir. Wachowskis, Tykwer) Death. Life. Birth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

noah111

Still Alive
It's incredible how contrasting the opinions are out there. I'm not sure how many of those who hate it do because its their way of rejecting the whole philosophical notion of the movie, or if they really found it to be a poor film. It seems those who think less into it or strain themselves with certain ideas, are enjoying it more. Either way, I expected it would be polarized, and imo that's sort of a good sign..

It's incredible how contrasting the opinions are out there. I'm not sure how many of those who hate it do because its their way of rejecting the whole philosophical notion of the movie, or if they really found it to be a poor film. It seems those who think less into it or strain themselves with certain ideas, are enjoying it more. Either way, I expected it would be polarized, and imo that's sort of a good sign..

So it's kinda like the Tree of Life in that regard eh? :p

I will say this, and it's something I don't usually say for a movie that's 3hrs long

I would have loved it if the movie was longer just for the sake of it. Really didn't want it to end.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So like.... its the best film of the year, or best I've seen. Unless we count seeing Lawrence of Arabia.

The quick and dirty, just see this film in theaters. It deserves it so very much.

It succeeds at making multiple stories intertwine emotionally.

I always like to lead with my complaints. The make up, acting, creating their own fucking annoying ass language for Berry and Hank's 120 after the sky fell. This did not help the film. I understand the point, but I want to shoot a mother fucker who think repeating the same word twice or slurring the end is a good idea.... Truth Truth!

Or white guy meets Asian man. Or super spoiler, Asian girl meets White Girl. Both of them looked terrible.

The other bit is, I wished it went on longer. It feels like there were more connections and story to build upon.

Now the positives.

The film handled the jumping between sections marvelously. It would always pick 1 or 2 of the sections to focus on, with smaller cuts to the others. So you don't really forget about them. It builds up in very much the same way Speed Racer builds up, with a finale sort of montage. Some endings are bitter, while others are far more positive. But it works. Each group of characters have their moment to shine and resonate with the audience. Not all did it equally I'll say, but I loved it still.

I'll write more tomorrow, sleepy.

Even better on a 2nd viewing.. Could appreciate the overarching themes a bit more. It's the fastest paced 3 hour movie ever.

If you can't appreciate this movie then I hate you.

In response to Shintoki:
(Not even really a spoiler, but tagged for you sensitive spoiler-averse fuckwits)

Oh and the dialect in the post-apocalyptic future period is straight from the book, FYI.

noah111

Still Alive
It's way more coherent than Tree of Life. Tree of Life is way more of an ambiguous movie.

Not that I'm saying anything is wrong with that.
Exactly. Both in that this is more coherent and that there's nothing wrong with Tree of Life's ambiguity.

For the amount of stories this movie switches back and forth between, it is truly astonishing how straight forward it ends up being. Yeah upon first viewing you have to give it a few minutes before it starts making sense but it doesn't take too long for everything to click and find a rhythm. That is probably the movie's greatest feat in my opinion.

I will never understand why you guys poo on Matrix 2. It was one of the most bad ass movies I have ever seen.

Yeah, I really enjoyed 2 - it's 3 that pissed me off, mainly because there was so little payoff from all the questions raised in 2. Screw all that, let's just have a big battle.

ckohler

I also liked Matrix 2. The third one was bad, though. Anyway, back to Cloud Atlas. I'm seeing this tonight! I'm going to wait for the 10:30pm late showing.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
For the amount of stories this movie switches back and forth between, it is truly astonishing how straight forward it ends up being. Yeah upon first viewing you have to give it a few minutes before it starts making sense but it doesn't take too long for everything to click and find a rhythm. That is probably the movie's greatest feat in my opinion.

2nd Coming of Speed Racer.

About as hard to follow as Inception, so no one really should have much trouble.

Yeah I haven't been to a movie theater in almost a year, and will be going tonight to see the 11:00pm show. My hype is based on two viewings on the trailer. I know nothing else about this film.

exarkun

The movie was very, very good.

I need to see it again, and I will in a week, so I can tease out the relationships between some of the cuts.

More so than any of my friends I am about the journey and where the movie takes you over appreciating (or hating) small details. The journey here is cohesive, fast paced, and emotionally hard hitting.

My only critique is that the first 30 mins is a bit rough, as they do introductory bits and the pace is slow. But after that, man it gets good.

Ceebs

Just got back from a morning showing.

Absolutely LOVED it. I was not sure how I would like the constant jumping around compared to the book, but it works almost flawlessly. It also totally did not feel like a 3 hour movie.

Ceebs

I also thought the score was fantastic, but I am not the best person to judge it since I almost never notice it. It really stands out in this one since one of the plots brings it to your attention.

Montresor

Errrgggh basically my only friend doesn't want to watch this tonight and is pointing to the 59% rotten rating as a reason why. I need more friends. =/ I love this guy but god dammit.

I'm thinking of just going alone and catching the 4:30pm IMAX showing at one of my local theatres.

Ceebs

Errrgggh basically my only friend doesn't want to watch this tonight and is pointing to the 59% rotten rating as a reason why. I need more friends. = I love this guy but god dammit.

I'm thinking of just going alone and catching the 4:30pm IMAX showing at one of my local theatres.

Do it! You don't want someone talking to you during this anyway!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
One thing I'd like to comment on. This movie produced the same exact feeling I got watching the Reboot sequence in Speed Racer. One of those instances where you see how the film builds up everything and it just clicks.

I fucking loved it.

Each story had one of the leads as the center point, while introducing the side characters, where the other cast comes in at side roles.

First, we have the starting one. A guy come from a rich family, saved by a slave, who saved him. Coming to terms with what he wants to do with life and standing up for it. Even stating that its just a ripple in the ocean, but that is whatever action is.

Then we have the Gay lovers. They could have meet each other, but he choose not too. Believing that their lives are permanently entwine and they'll meet each other again in a better world. Killing himself right as the other found him. Its a very bittersweet ending.

Which also gives rise to Berry's story. Who manages to succeed in discovering the truth and reporting the company. Starting her career. But at the same time, a few people were killed along the way. Setting up the future tales.

With the most side tracked one next, but its just so very sweet. An old corrupt man having a sort of redemption and eventually facing his trials. Its cheesy as fuck, but the Pub scene was love <3.
"WE WILL NOT LET YOU DOWN OLD MAN!!!!"

Following up with the Asian girl's story, whose purpose is to get a message out there. And even though it means doom for her. She still goes through with it. That even though no one may even believe her, she just believes.

And then the final one. Going back to the ancient temple and sending another message for hope. With Hanks and Berrys characters finally getting together.

I adored how the stories come in pairs too. The first one goes long with the 5th one. The 3rd and the 6th. And with 2 ending on a bittersweet ending of two lovers doomed, 4 ending with two old lovers meeting again.

Shintoki Ranking: <3<3<3<3 out of <3<3<3<3

I think Ebert review says it. Loves it

Montresor

Do it! You don't want someone talking to you during this anyway!

Bah I feel tired today anyway. I'll catch it Sunday night (and pad those box office stats late in the weekend heh). I'm working weekend shifts as a tech support agent and checking out this movie at the end of those shifts is going to be sooo relaxing.

Ninjimbo

I will echo the 2nd coming of Speed Racer sentiments. I was conflicted during the first 90 minutes because the film doesn't really establish a flowing rhythm. I would start getting into a scene, then the film would cut to another story throwing me off emotionally. But the last hour, when Cloud Atlas finally establishes itself, it becomes almost breathtaking in the same way Speed Racer did.

I understand the divisive reviews, but one thing I'm pretty sure everybody will agree on, the emotional highs are really fucking high. No joke.

My biggest irk throughout the film: they mishandled Doona. She's too good an actress to be underutilized like that. Her character needed a better arc.

Amagon

There is not a wasted shot in the film, everything has purpose.
This cannot be quoted enough. I was holding my piss in the whole time watching this movie cause I did not want to miss a single shot. I can't recall any recent films that every scene in the movie was just as important than any other scene. I understand now why multiple viewings is a must with this film but for good reasons. I had no problems following any of the plots and they were all satisfying. Other than the makeup which is my only nitpick with this film, everybody should watch Cloud Atlas.

Ashhong

FUUUUUUUUUUUCK I might watch this tonight. Don't really want to watch alone at a 10:50 showing................ but I might have to

Yuripaw

Banned
Went and bought tickets for a showing later tonight ^_^ Looking forward to seeing this, been waiting for months since I first saw the trailer.

I'm actually really stoked, because we're going for dinner and a movie. It's one of those movie theaters where each seat is picked when you buy the tickets, and there's a table setting for each person. You can order dinner, drinks(including alcohol), and dessert. Gonna be fun :)

Jimothy

Really don't understand the divisive reviews. Yeah, it's somewhat bloated and drags in a few spots, but the ambition of this movie is just staggering on every level. This will be looked back on as one of the best movies of the last several years, and all the critics who panned it will hang their heads in shame.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I am holding a seat on the balcony~~~ for a showing at 8:40 tonight.......its premium pricing. I thought Speed Racer was a damn joke....will i like this? It certainly looks interesting, but is it silly and pulp like Speed was?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom