• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloud Reveal in Smash Bros Reactions

Quonny

I didn't know all humans behaved the same way.

The guy is like that in all his videos.

Exactly. In all his videos. I'm not saying he's not excited. You gotta be a little excited to act like that. But YouTubers and streamers take on personas and play them up for the audience. Streamers and the like start out fairly "normalized", but once something catches they don't let it go. Sodapoppin being a dick, imaqtpie being a stoner dude, etc etc. I remember watching those two early in their streaming careers and Soda wasn't always that way and qtpie was always laid back, but now he's all "ayyy".

He could totally be legit and that's how he is in his private life, but I simply don't buy it. It doesn't make me mad, or salty. Hate when people say that.

larrydavid.gif

Mine was basically this

I think Smash Bros. might have one of the worst fanbases for the sole fact that it made Nintendo believe that it's good to end events on something as low tier as character announcements and character DLC...

no shit, it's his persona

I'm not going to pursue this because I'd hate to give the impression I'm not fun at parties, but you have to admit that "he is like this in all his videos" != "this is just who he is"

Exactly. In all his videos. I'm not saying he's not excited. You gotta be a little excited to act like that. But YouTubers and streamers take on personas and play them up for the audience. Streamers and the like start out fairly "normalized", but once something catches they don't let it go. Sodapoppin being a dick, imaqtpie being a stoner dude, etc etc. I remember watching those two early in their streaming careers and Soda wasn't always that way and qtpie was always laid back, but now he's all "ayyy".

He could totally be legit and that's how he is in his private life, but I simply don't buy it. It doesn't make me mad, or salty. Hate when people say that.

wmlk

I think Smash Bros. might have one of the worst fanbases for the sole fact that it made Nintendo believe that it's good to end events on something as low tier as character announcements and character DLC...

Maybe because Smash Bros. DLC conjures a different reaction among fans? People don't usually celebrate DLC, so passing it off as "character DLC" isn't really being fair when people are actually excited for Smash DLC.

Immediately, my mind went to being able to get Cloud, Mario, Ryu, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Sonic, and Pikachu all in one stage. That's just ridiculous and the DLC comes across more as a celebration upon the initial reaction.

VariantX

Maximillian's was great because he knows the games and industry so well.

He's also an oldster like me, so remembering FF7 wasn't that hard.

That was the game that shifted the fortunes of Sony and Nintendo that generation. Crazy stuff.

Yep. FF7 was that game that made me give a shit about rpg games of all types, period. I never really played any rpgs until my friend had a copy of this at his house and he let me play for a bit. Was addicted from the second I won my first fight and heard the results screen music.

wmlk

The reaction is totally fake anyway. Dude didn't even recognize the FF7 intro music, yet Cloud is his boy? Uh huh.

He's posing more than anything. GT's and Maximillian's reactions were genuine through and through.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
When Final Fantasy Explorers popped up I was thinking to myself, "you know, it's funny hearing Nintendo talk about all the post-SNES FF characters like Lightning", and then this happens.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
I'm the Nic Cage looking guy in one of the vids everyone is discussing. With a brief insight on this whole 'Reaction Video' thing and why it gets a lot of flak.

Generally, I'd prefer not to 'REACT' to everything. If there's something out there that I have a personal investment in, then I'll wait too watch the trailer and record it live. People respond very well to 'Reaction' videos and a small minority find them very abrasive/exhausting. I constantly get questions of 'will you react to this/that?' and 90% the time, my answer is 'No', as I don't have a care for what they're asking. Other times, reactions aren't the usual 'WOAH WOAH HOLY FK' thing you'd expect, and are fairly normal or at other times appalling at what's being shown. I try to edit the process down, audio balance as much as possible, and make something special out of it if it's for something I really like.

I could literally put out 3 Reaction videos a week and they would get awesome viewership, but refuse too as they wouldn't be special at all and I personally wouldn't give a shit about what I was watching.

TLDR: People love Reaction videos. They're fun because people like sharing excitement with others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoV27HhwuR4

The reaction is totally fake anyway. Dude didn't even recognize the FF7 intro music, yet Cloud is his boy? Uh huh.

Cloud is kinda iconic and he's coming to the console the dude's clearly fanboying (judging by his other videos). I guess Smash characters are the next best thing to 3rd party support if you're only on Wii U, so... excitement? lol

Max's video was fantastic. Him prefacing it by saying "They'll never have Cloud because he's his own thing" for Final Fantasy Explorers was hilarious, considering the SMASH BROS reveal minutes later. Totally genuine reaction too.

Watching the other reaction videos mostly made me feel old, though. I instantly recognized the FF7 music and the starfield, but it took a lot of these reacters until the "x FINAL FANTASY" bit to recognize it. Then I remembered the game came out 18 years ago, when a lot of these YouTubers weren't even born yet, or if they were, they were like 3.

Anyway, fucking awesome reveal and I'm stoked that Cloud is in Smash Bros!!

When Final Fantasy Explorers popped up I was thinking to myself, "you know, it's funny hearing Nintendo talk about all the post-SNES FF characters like Lightning", and then this happens.
I had the same thought.

"Wow, weird to hear Bill talk about Cloud like it's no big deal"

And then twenty minutes later it all came together.

I was the same and I voted for Cloud back in April to be added to the roster.

He must have been a popular choice.

People should not look too much into NX for the FFVII remake. You will just end up disappointed. It's like the lofty expectations the Wii U had either this gif

The5thNintendoElement.gif

Don't expect all the third party's to jump back very quickly.

Any reason why the NX *won't* dominate Japan?

-Horizon-

I'm the Nic Cage looking guy in one of the vids everyone is discussing. With a brief insight on this whole 'Reaction Video' thing and why it gets a lot of flak.

Generally, I'd prefer not to 'REACT' to everything. If there's something out there that I have a personal investment in, then I'll wait too watch the trailer and record it live. People respond very well to 'Reaction' videos and a small minority find them very abrasive/exhausting. I constantly get questions of 'will you react to this/that?' and 90% the time, my answer is 'No', as I don't have a care for what they're asking. Other times, reactions aren't the usual 'WOAH WOAH HOLY FK' thing you'd expect, and are fairly normal or at other times appalling at what's being shown. I try to edit the process down, audio balance as much as possible, and make something special out of it if it's for something I really like.

I could literally put out 3 Reaction videos a week and they would get awesome viewership, but refuse too as they wouldn't be special at all and I personally wouldn't give a shit about what I was watching.

TLDR: People love Reaction videos. They're fun because people like sharing excitement with others.

And that's why we love you max xD

Max's reaction is basically all you'll need. If you need to show someone what video games can do to a person and put a grin on their face, show 'em that.

Cipherr

There's actual human beings going crazy for the inclusion of Cloud in smash that it warrants reaction videos?

I mean, if it were a Nintendo exclusive FVII remaster or some shit, sure. But this? The Smash community is weird as hell.

There are human beings going crazy over the Xbox 1 winning a single month in a single territory over in the NPD thread.

Don't act like people being excited about a game surprises you considering that. lol. People can easily be excited to have a new playable character in their favorite game.

Explain being excited about sales numbers that don't impact you at all.

RPGCrazied

I thought it was funny. Specially when you said it was fake, and see you later I need to go find the release date. :p

You know, in a post Shenmue III/FFVIIR world, I thought it would be impossible to ever be surprised by announcements like this. Guess not, haha.

For real though, 2015 has been a fucking insane year for game announcements.

Which Kingdom Hearts was this Clouds guy in?

KH1, KH2, Chain of Memories and Coded.

Of those, Chain of Memories and Coded were on Nintendo systems (GBA and DS, respectively)

Why would anyone's mind jump to Cloud watching a Smash Bros trailer?
Fair enough, but the intro music was kind of a tipoff. You can really tell who played FFVII and who didn't by the first few seconds of people's reactions. (Which again, is kinda fair, given FFVII's non existent relation to Nintendo.)

I put two and two together the moment the Smash logo came on screen with the music.

Kinsei

Banned
Fair enough, but the intro music was kind of a tipoff. You can really tell who played FFVII and who didn't by the first few seconds of people's reactions. (Which again, is kinda fair, given FFVII's non existent relation to Nintendo.)

I've beaten FFVII twice and didn't recognize it, but then again I saw stars and immediately went into Wolf mode.

wmlk

I immediately thought FFVII too. That Bombing Mission opening is probably the most memorable one note in video game history. It's so distinct from everything else.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Lightning Mii Costume in-coming?

Square's Lightning vs. Nintendo's Lightning vs. Game Freak's Lightning vs. Fire Emblem's Lightning all in one game. I'm in.

I've beaten FFVII twice and didn't recognize it, but then again I saw stars and immediately went into Wolf mode.

Yep. I was in chat with someone spamming "OH YEA, WOLF TIME"

I've never played FFVII, so I assumed it was Star Fox Zero music lol or from Command or something, as I didn't play that game much.

Top Bottom