• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNET Rumor: Hackers Planning Third Attack Against Sony, Publicizing Data

Any group of any size can talk a lot of shit about what they are or are not going to do when they're hidden behind the anonymity of the Internet.

I don't see how some unknown group who are bragging about pulling off a big attack who may or may not have the means to do so is what one would call newsworthy material.

itxaka

Defeatist
SRG01 said:
This is really old. Also, the consumerist contorts what is actually said in his testimony...

Thanks for the info. It justs showed up on my news feed so I didn't know if it was old and reposted from one of the webpages or new. :D

Foxix Von

Normally I don't give a darn what Anon is up to/usually think it's deserved. But they're really screwing over a lot of people doing this shit.

So hackers breach Sony
PSN goes down
Possible account & credit card info leaked via breach
Hackers get angry
Attack Sony more for getting hacked in the first place?

I just fail to see the logic and how that would be productive.

I don't even own a PSN account or a PS3, but still... Just stupid.

darkwing

ArtistDude88 said:
So hackers breach Sony
PSN goes down
Possible account & credit card info leaked via breach
Hackers get angry
Attack Sony more for getting hacked in the first place?

I just fail to see the logic and how that would be productive.

I don't even own a PSN account or a PS3, but still... Just stupid.
like sharks, blood in the water

GavinGT

Banned
LOL, moot blames EbaumsWorld for planting the "We are Legion" file:

mo‮8pE! to‬pui‮# 2wV8‬# A‮imd‬n‬‬‬‬‬‬ ­ 05/06/11(Fri)03:32:39 No.327026854

Fuck you... it was ebaumsworld.

okenny

Banned
LOL! Sorry but I I laughed so hard when I read their reasoning for the next attack was because of how Sony handled the previous attack. This is the kind of thinking only those without any shred of scruples can have but even then.... honestly I don't know what to call it. I can't call it evil because it's funny. I can't call it beautiful because it has no purpose. I can't intelligent because it makes no sense. It doesn't even make me angry. I just keep staring deeper into those words and can't seem to reach any conclusion other than it's simply messed up :/

GavinGT

Banned
Whoever these hackers are, they're almost certainly not from 4chan. Any knowledgeable hackers left the information cesspool that is 4chan years ago.

I bet it was just a private hacker group in pursuit of monetary interests. Probably Eastern European. The "We are Legion" file was perhaps a red herring.

spats

strem said:
These guys need to think about having sex with a woman at some point in their shitty lives

I'd prefer they not have sex with a woman. The world is better off with this human scum not reproducing.

strem

spats said:
I'd prefer they not have sex with a woman. The world is better off with this human scum not reproducing.

Yeah good point. I'm so sick of all this crap and I don't even hardly play my PS3. I do feel bad for the ones that use it as their main gaming system. These guys are out of control and need to be hunted down by a certain Seal team 6

androvsky said:
So the source of the story is some person who said they heard it in some super-secret irc channel?

Yeah, fear mongering at its best. I say, let them come. Let Sony test out their new security now rather than later.

Vagabundo

lol.

- Wario64: Sony's worst nightmare.
- Same hackers are planning more hacks because of the way Sony dealt with previous hacks??
_____
⸮o_O?

- At the end of the day it is probably just idle IRC chatter.

Now it seems the same group of hackers that was able to infiltrate the PSN servers is planning to hit back against Sony.

Javaman said:
A threat at the end of a plea of innocence? Really??

Sorry, that was in no way meant as a threat or warning, i was expressing worry more than anything. I don't represent anybody else or know what anybody in hacker circles do or think.

An observer of the Internet Relay Chat channel...told CNET today
Yeah I wouldn't get worked over information and claims from such a source. Sucks for Sony though since they can't leave the bad headlines.

Anticitizen One said:
isnt like the FBI or Homeland Security gonna go bust these fools? I wanna see some hackers get bin laden'd
GeneralIroh said:
Might be extreme but I hope the hackers get Bin Laden'd
Nerd rage, how cute.

JonCha

Have these guys got anything better to do? I mean, this isn't doing anything for them and it's doing nothing for Sony. If they choose MS next people aren't going to bail out and switch to Sony. Ridiculous.

Enco

vilmer_ said:
I hate these stupid pieces of shit.
This.

All hackers should be arrested and jailed for life.

What moron thought it would be a good idea to hack Sony for being hacked?

Enco said:
This.

All hackers should be arrested and jailed for life.

What moron thought it would be a good idea to hack Sony for being hacked?

You not being able to play PSN for two weeks = person not being able to have a life for 2 decades?

Enco

I NEED SCISSORS said:
You not being able to play PSN for two weeks = person not being able to have a life for 2 decades?
I don't use the PSN and fuckers who hack/steal etc are scum.

Maybe life is a bit too much but they should definitely be jailed and punished.

Vagabundo

Enco said:
I don't use the PSN and fuckers who hack/steal etc are scum.

Maybe life is a bit too much but they should definitely be jailed and punished.

Is being jailed not punishment enough?

Zomba13

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I think it's more along the lines of hack Sony's databases and acquire personal information of customers = person going to jail for 2 decades.

EDIT: although I suppose they would also get time for disrupting one of Sony's revenue streams and affecting the income of the studios with content on the PSN.

Enco

Vagabundo said:
Or punished in a different way.

Sorry for bad wording I guess?

Edit: and as someone above said, stealing personal data is no petty crime. You wouldn't want to be lenient when some ass spends your money.

Vagabundo said:
Apparently these hackers should be shot during a Navy Seals operation, that is of course after they have spent a life in jail. No punishment can do this crime against humanity and extraterrestrial life (SETI@home loosing quite a few contributors) justice.

blu said:
If true then this is seriously screwed up and I don't think their insurance will cover their damages (gross negligence).

Diablos

I'm not siding with Anonymous or whoever is ultimately responsible, but really, this never would have happened if Sony didn't act so unbelievably ridiculous in persuit of Geohot and anyone that had any little thing to do with him exploiting PS3. Demanding IP addresses and identities of people who simply watched Youtube videos of a hacked PS3 in action? Are you kidding me? These kind of actions are unacceptable. Seriously, they acted like a fat 10 year old kid throwing a temper tantrum.

onQ123

ichinisan said:
Man, the sooner PSN comes back the better. Then all the people going mental in these thread will have their outlet back...

you think all the crazy people in this thread actually play games & just going to go back to playing games on PSN when it's back up?

this is the most these people have ever cared about PSN

Diablos

I'm more concerned about my identity. If PSN is down for another week I'm going to order a Roku box, it's under $100 and does Netflix and Hulu among other things.

Diablos said:
I'm not siding with Anonymous or whoever is ultimately responsible, but really, this never would have happened if Sony didn't act so unbelievably ridiculous in persuit of Geohot and anyone that had any little thing to do with him exploiting PS3. Demanding IP addresses and identities of people who simply watched Youtube videos of a hacked PS3 in action? Are you kidding me? These kind of actions are unacceptable. Seriously, they acted like a fat 10 year old kid throwing a temper tantrum.

Jesus, I forgot about that. That is actually gross.

SmokeMaxX

JonCha said:
Have these guys got anything better to do? I mean, this isn't doing anything for them and it's doing nothing for Sony. If they choose MS next people aren't going to bail out and switch to Sony. Ridiculous.
Are you making the implication that people are only doing this to Sony to get PSN users to switch to 360?

DiscoJer

I NEED SCISSORS said:

If it were only him, sure. But it's millions of people losing hours of their lives.

If someone stole $1 from 50 million people, would you say "Oh, it's only a buck, let him go free"

And it's costing a company hundreds of millions of dollars. And not just Sony. What about all of the small devs that depend on selling games?

Cohort Studios, for instance, just fired all their people. Maybe if their last game sold really really well, they might be able to stage a comeback. But it was scheduled to be released this week on PSN, so oops, guess not.

And jail sentences and such aren't just punishment - they are determent. Hackers mostly know they won't suffer any real consequences, so they keep doing it.

Diablos said:

Except the people who are suffering the consequences aren't the people who made that boneheaded decision.

Hanmik

blu said:

it is old.. but again.. it´s news of nothing.. because the socalled security expert did not say anything like that in his testimony..

In the
Sony case, the majority of the victims are likely young people whose sense of risk, privacy and
consequence are not yet fully developed, and thus they may also not understand the full
ramifications of what has happened. Presumably, both companies are large enough that they
could have afforded to spend an appropriate amount on security and privacy protections of
their data; I have no information about what protections they had in place, although some
news reports indicate that Sony was running software that was badly out of date, and had
been warned about that risk

http://republicans.energycommerce.house.gov/Media/file/Hearings/CTCP/050411/Spafford.pdf

so how the news are twisting this to sound like the Professor sadi that Sony had a outdated server is ridiculous..

Diablos said:
They just didn't want another PSP situation which caused the platform some trouble. That is why I see them going after hackers right from the get go.

Top Bottom