• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNET Rumor: Hackers Planning Third Attack Against Sony, Publicizing Data

Vagabundo

Hanmik said:
it is old.. but again.. it´s news of nothing.. because the socalled security expert did not say anything like that in his testimony..

http://republicans.energycommerce.house.gov/Media/file/Hearings/CTCP/050411/Spafford.pdf

so how the news are twisting this to sound like the Professor sadi that Sony had a outdated server is ridiculous..

That's his written testimony. He made additional comments during the hearing:

According to Spafford, security experts monitoring open Internet forums learned months ago that Sony was using outdated versions of the Apache Web server software, which "was unpatched and had no firewall installed." The issue was "reported in an open forum monitored by Sony employees" two to three months prior to the recent security breaches, said Spafford.

Spafford made his comments in a hearing convened by the House Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing, and Trade.

Vagabundo

Hanmik said:
where did you get that info..? anywhere you can hear it..?

It says it all quite clearly on the websites and there is a picture of him at the hearing. And the link you provided is for written testimony not a transcript.

In congressional testimony this morning, Dr. Gene Spafford of Purdue University said that Sony was using outdated software on its servers — and knew about it months in advance of the recent security breaches that allowed hackers to get private information from over 100 million user accounts.

Your PDF does not have anything that was said at that meeting. It was broadcast on C-SPAN on the 5th. Unless we can dig up the transcript from the meeting or find the actual footage then we only have the article to go on.

Hanmik

Vagabundo said:
It says it all quite clearly on the websites and there is a picture of him at the hearing. And the link you provided is for written testimony not a transcript.

Your PDF does not have anything that was said at that meeting. It was broadcast on C-SPAN on the 5th. Unless we can dig up the transcript from the meeting or find the actual footage then we only have the article to go on.

on the websites with the news it is stated that he said that stuff, yes.. And I cannot find a written transcript or a video or anything of the actual hearing.

But the fact that he writes in his written Testimony, that he has no knowledge of Sony´s security. And then, supposedly, at the hearing suddenly knows a lot more about it, just sounds strange.. cannot se why he would write one thing and say another..

test_account said:
Is Spafford's statement only based on something that he heard on an internet forum?

Virtually every piece of news since the story started has been from "something seen on an Internet forum" or "read in an IRC chatroom". It really is ridiculous. It's damaging, in fact.

Vagabundo

Hanmik said:
on the websites with the news it is stated that he said that stuff, yes.. And I cannot find a written transcript or a video or anything of the actual hearing.

But the fact that he writes in his written Testimony, that he has no knowledge of Sony´s security. And then, supposedly, at the hearing suddenly knows a lot more about it, just sounds strange.. cannot se why he would write one thing and say another..

I just seen the video, he did say that, the article is accurate.

test_account

XP-39C²
xapnder said:
get2sammyb said:
Virtually every piece of news since the story started has been from "something seen on an Internet forum" or "read in an IRC chatroom". It really is ridiculous. It's damaging, in fact.
Ok, i see. Then i dont think that this statement is very creditable indeed. Just because he is a security expert doesnt change anything if it is only based on something that he heard. Who knows if what was said on the internet forum is actually true or not, but i dont think that something like this should be mentioned in a hearing when they cant prove what was said on the forum is true or not (no offence to Spafford).

EDIT: Well, maybe it could be mentioned, but i dont think that it should be given much weight if they cant prove if what was said on the forum is true or false.

Vagabundo

get2sammyb said:

Well then, Sony should release details from their security audit and be honest.

I've a funny feeling that the information there would be pretty damning, but maybe when PSN is back up we might get an arstechnica article on what went down.

get2sammyb said:

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/DataT

It is a the data protection meeting on the 4th.

Vagabundo said:

I've a funny feeling that the information there would be pretty damning, but maybe when PSN is back up we might get an arstechnica article on what went down.

Because ArsTechnica has been the most reliable source during this story...

test_account

XP-39C²
Vagabundo said:
Although that it wasnt very detailed, Sony did publish a picture on the press conferenace on May 1st showing that there was a firewall between each of the servers. If this is true, then it debunks what was said on the internet forum about Sony not using a firewall.

Vagabundo

Hanmik said:
thank you... I´m at work, so I haven´t got the time to watch it all.. around what time mark, does Mr. Spafford make these comments..?

It is a great website, there is a transcript and it will jump to that part of the video.

Amazing.

Another quote from a different researcher(paraphrase): "95% of network breaches could be avoided by security updates (due diligence)" and the FTC guy agrees.

Interesting meeting.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The only solid evidence is that coming from Sony themselves. And I'm only giving that credibility because as a federal criminal case is ongoing, Sony would really be shooting themselves in the face by blatantly lying in their statements.

The most damaging allegations are all from anecdotal internet sources, and as with this CNET piece, individuals are never named.

The way Spafford's comments have been misreported is an example of how twisted things have gotten. His actual written testimony contains none of this specific detail, because it being an anecdote from one or more second hand sources its inconclusive.

Essentially an allegation from an unnamed source mentioned by Prof. Spafford in his oral testimony has been presented not only as *his* conclusive opinion, but absolute fact.

Check out his tweets (therealspaf) for his somewhat bemused response.

Goldmund

Replicant said:
Can't we throw them in jail and let them have a first hand experience on what it feels like to be violated against their will?
An eye for a rash glance and a tooth for a regretted opinion, right?

Hanmik

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/DataT

At 56.34 Spafford says all the stuff that the news are reporting.. but he is talking about some security protocols and the woman asking, is saying that (at 55.54) this is the first time she is hearing about it, and aks if he can elaborate on the subject..
But what is he saying his sources are again..? the woman just said the he wrote he did not know anymore about Sony´s situation other then stuff taken from blogs and news reports.. so what protocols is he talking about..? does he suddenly have solid evidence or is he just talking about the news reports..?

itxaka said:
Kind of related, no idea if this was posted already.

http://consumerist.com/2011/05/secu...re-was-obsolete-months-before-psn-breach.html

No firewalls. In their biggest service. No wonder they got fucked up, that is like internet security 101.

One wonders if this "Future" attack they are planning is to another Sony infrastructure (someone said sonystyle?) which is also unprotected and unpatched.

Also wow at some of the comments here. Wishing to be raped, seriously?

Technically, I see three firewalls...
20110430-22154971--p1040046.jpg

Where are they getting "NO FIREWALLS"?

Goldmund said:
Maybe illustrating the firewalls as flat and easy to cross brick walls speaks to their effectiveness.

You should probably write a story about it for a major publication. "Sony Diagram Demonstrates Network Insecurities".

Vagabundo

Clear said:
The only solid evidence is that coming from Sony themselves. And I'm only giving that credibility because as a federal criminal case is ongoing, Sony would really be shooting themselves in the face by blatantly lying in their statements.

The most damaging allegations are all from anecdotal internet sources, and as with this CNET piece, individuals are never named.

The way Spafford's comments have been misreported is an example of how twisted things have gotten. His actual written testimony contains none of this specific detail, because it being an anecdote from one or more second hand sources its inconclusive.

Essentially an allegation from an unnamed source mentioned by Prof. Spafford in his oral testimony has been presented not only as *his* conclusive opinion, but absolute fact.

Check out his tweets (therealspaf) for his somewhat bemused response.

twiter said:
TheRealSpaf Gene Spafford
I guess it says something when my best quotes are only accurately repeated by spam bots.
5 May

Meanwhile, the press has widely taken only a portion of my quote, out of context, from the hearing this morning and broadcast that widely.
5 May

Hmm. I'm guessing there are some bots out there tweeting one of my old quotes. Very strange to see, and puzzling why that quote was chosen.

lol the gas thing is he did actually say those things and the context is correct. I have just watched the meeting. The article in the comsumerist is bang on. Maybe he remembers answering it different or wasn't clear enough.

test_account

XP-39C²
Vagabundo said:
lol the gas thing is he did actually say those things and the context is correct. I have just watched the meeting. The article in the comsumerist is bang on. Maybe he remembers answering it different or wasn't clear enough.
I dont think that the first paragraph in the consumerist is bang on. It says this:

In congressional testimony this morning, Dr. Gene Spafford of Purdue University said that Sony was using outdated software on its servers — and knew about it months in advance of the recent security breaches that allowed hackers to get private information from over 100 million user accounts

He didnt exactly say this. The way this paragraph is written, it can seem that Spafford had proof of these things. In the 2nd paragraph of the article, they do at least clearify his statement better though.

Thanks for the link to that hearing by the way. Was some interesting stuff there :)

Hanmik

test_account said:
I dont think that the first paragraph in the consumerist is bang on. It says this:

In congressional testimony this morning, Dr. Gene Spafford of Purdue University said that Sony was using outdated software on its servers — and knew about it months in advance of the recent security breaches that allowed hackers to get private information from over 100 million user accounts

He didnt exactly say this. The way this paragraph is written, it can seem that Spafford had proof of these things. In the 2nd paragraph of the article, they do at least clearify his statement better though.

Thanks for the link to that hearing by the way. Was some interesting stuff there :)

yes you are right.. this is the second paragraph form the article..

According to Spafford, security experts monitoring open Internet forums learned months ago that Sony was using outdated versions of the Apache Web server software, which "was unpatched and had no firewall installed." The issue was "reported in an open forum monitored by Sony employees" two to three months prior to the recent security breaches, said Spafford.

so it is not a thing he knows from reliable sources but from Internet Protocols (as he himself calls them) monitored by Sony Employees.. and the answer is in regards to the congresswomans question about "whether he could elaborate on his statements in his Testimony regarding the rumours about Sony´s servers being unpatched and old"..

he is just elaborating on the words from his Written Testimony. So again, he never states anything about Sony´s servers.

BoilersFan23 said:
They just didn't want another PSP situation which caused the platform some trouble. That is why I see them going after hackers right from the get go.
In the most unprofessional and idiotic way possible. Regardless of those idiots motivation to hack PSN, Sonys legal handling of the PS3 hack was beyond amateurish and reactionary.

Given that they forgot about basic encryption procedures, the reported bit about them running their online Plattform on outdated servers with lack of security isn't really that hard to believe.

And again, if there really is going to be another Hack Attempt, then I'd say there is no better time than now. If the new Security measures and structure are worth anything, they can use it as a first stress test.

I know SONY called down the thunder but not this much thunder. This has got me thinking this could go on for a long time because clearly these guys are out for blood. What's scary is these hackers could inflict unbelieveable damage on SONY if they start strategically planning attacks around key product launches like NGP, I would say the tablet but its already doomed, or even around key software launches like Uncharted or even a CoD game. Wont be too long until the entire industry feels the thunder.

boris feinbrand said:
Given that they forgot about basic encryption procedures, the reported bit about them running their online Plattform on outdated servers with lack of security isn't really that hard to believe.

They did? Let's not get into "my home address should have been encrypted" because I guarantee it's very uncommon practice to do that.

As I understand it credit card information was correctly encrypted and password data was hashed. The only thing that remains a question mark is the security question.

Mizzou Gaming said:
I know SONY called down the thunder but not this much thunder. This has got me thinking this could go on for a long time because clearly these guys are out for blood. What's scary is these hackers could inflict unbelieveable damage on SONY if they start strategically planning attacks around key product launches like NGP, I would say the tablet but its already doomed, or even around key software launches like Uncharted or even a CoD game. Wont be too long until the entire industry feels the thunder.

While I think that's probably a little bit melodramatic, what's awesome about the whole situation is that we lose; the legitimate players that are excited to play on our new NGP, or have had Uncharted 3 on pre-order for a couple of months. That's just not fair, whether Sony's incompetent or not.

cyber-terrorism

as an employee of the gaming industry; I find this extremely damaging for big publishers and small indy devs who are losing sales during these weeks of shut-down.

Everyone thinks that companies are big and evil but at the receiving end; it will be the game developers who will get the most hurt

this is crazy bad

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Mizzou Gaming said:
Sweet, where do I donate to these beacons of hope /sarcasm

Not liking Sony or thinking they deserve some ill will over stupid other OS and such is one thing. But to cost them so much money and harm in this way thus far is much worse. I don't know how someone can rationalize how far things have gone and hopefully idiot hackers will get their due.

gutter_trash said:
cyber-terrorism

as an employee of the gaming industry; I find this extremely damaging for big publishers and small indy devs who are losing sales during these weeks of shut-down.

Everyone thinks that companies are big and evil but at the receiving end; it will be the game developers who will get the most hurt

this is crazy bad
Once more, this is a pity too. I was talking to a friend about this. The system wars banter only goes so far but at some point you have to come back to earth. This is very damaging to everyone, not just 1 company.

RavenFox

Banned
androvsky said:
Given this is third-hand info and how bad reporting on this story has been in general, who knows. I'd like to think the security firms and FBI set up some honeypots, but they can't go up too far ahead of the real servers or it'll be obvious what's going on.
I have a feeling there are honeypots.

Diablos said:
I'm not siding with Anonymous or whoever is ultimately responsible, but really, this never would have happened if Sony didn't act so unbelievably ridiculous in persuit of Geohot and anyone that had any little thing to do with him exploiting PS3. Demanding IP addresses and identities of people who simply watched Youtube videos of a hacked PS3 in action? Are you kidding me? These kind of actions are unacceptable. Seriously, they acted like a fat 10 year old kid throwing a temper tantrum.

It was only to find out evidence to support their push for jurisdiction. It was granted by the court BTW and it wasn't a free pass for them to do "anything" with the information.

People are going overboard with that. If it was "really" an invasion of privacy then people shouldn't be upset with sony for asking, they should be upset with the courts for allowing it. At least that is what I would imagine how proper logic would work. Being upset at a company for requesting something self serving is silly. Getting upset at the organization that is supposed to define and protect the line between discovery and invasion of privacy would make more sense, but I don't hear any one ranting about the court in this situation.

I just see this as a very long line of hate against Sony that has been going on for years. People will evoke the rootkit scandal when talking about SCE or any event then. People tried to draw parallels between blu ray and betamax. Long line of FUD, ranging from game rentals, lowered specs, incorrect cost analysis, that were all actually reported by site and blogs on the internet. Things blown out of proportion such as the failed viral marketing attempt (oh so evil!) or the supposed racist PSP adverts.

OtherOS gets removed and then it becomes the biggest knew ever. The buzz about that was far more disproportionate then those who actually talked about using it on a daily basis. Whats even worse people acted as if they couldn't "live" without it. The fumbling and inept reporting of the geohot case, in which people still seem to come away with the impression that the government allowed sony to take all sorts of data and keep it for themselves. And now the large amount of incorrect information and broken logic on display about the hackings.

It is mind boggling how much hate sony catches on the interwebs. One would think that sony sent out ninjas to kill peoples family/ kung fu master/dog or something. This is some widespread deep seated grudges it looks like to me.

I wonder if me talking about this will get me labeled because sometimes people turn away from talking points and just choose to attack the person. I am really shocked and dismayed at what gamers have really evolved into this gen.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You got many points there and it sucks that some will see you as a Sony apologist for it. That's what I hate about people who are either biased or irrational.

staticneuron said:
I wonder if me talking about this will get me labeled because sometimes people turn away from talking points and just choose to attack the person. I am really shocked and dismayed at what gamers have really evolved into this gen.

You shouldn't be labelled anything. You have a reasonable position and should be respected, I think. I just disagree with the narrative you present. Sony have - at several points - taken anti-consumer practices to some beautiful places last few years. I say that as someone who continues to use Sony products and am generally happy with the service they provide. But the rootkit case WAS a huge deal. Sure, its years ago now. The pursuit of Geohot and the use of Youtube user IPs - while enabled by a court - is way beyond the pale.

I actually agree with you about Linux. That's bullshit - but lets not pretend that Sony 'are just like every media corporation' or silly claims like that. They are special. They do special things.

[Nintex]

Wolves Evolve said:
They are special. They do special things.
No they're not. They're just like any other company this is were it goes wrong really:
I just see this as a very long line of hate against Sony that has been going on for years.
You probably missed the Amazon, AT&T, Vodafone, T-Mobile, Shell, BP, GreenPeace, Obama, Bush, Al Gore, Nintendo, Square Enix, Sega, Lady Gaga, Superman etc. hate. Everything gets hated on even more so if companies like Sony fuck up then the hate grows even stronger. But there's a certain balance in the force because for every couple of guys that say that PlayStation sux and Saturn rules there's a bunch of fans thanking Sony for a lack of status updates. Also something that has been popular for decades can be the most hated thing/person in the world in mere months, see Tony Blair. Likewise something that was hated before can turn into something great in the eyes of many like Samsung.

test_account

XP-39C²
About the YouTube IPs, did Sony get these personally or was it a 3rd party who got them?

Hanmik said:
yes you are right.. this is the second paragraph form the article..

so it is not a thing he knows from reliable sources but from Internet Protocols (as he himself calls them) monitored by Sony Employees.. and the answer is in regards to the congresswomans question about "whether he could elaborate on his statements in his Testimony regarding the rumours about Sony´s servers being unpatched and old"..

he is just elaborating on the words from his Written Testimony. So again, he never states anything about Sony´s servers.
Indeed.

[QUOTE='[Nintex]]there's a bunch of fans thanking Sony for a lack of status updates.[/QUOTE]
Who is doing that?

I'm calling bullshit on this one, but Sony was literally asking for it by demanding access info on a single YouTube video and some other bullshit.

Dragon

Banned
Mailenstein said:
I'm calling bullshit on this one, but Sony was literally asking for it by demanding access info on a single YouTube video and some other bullshit.

As far as I know that was to see where they'd hold the geohotz trial.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Mailenstein said:

Sony might be a bunch of asshats, but these hackers take the cake.

TheBranca18 said:
As far as I know that was to see where they'd hold the geohotz trial.
It really doesn't matter what it was for to be honest. That was a dick move par excellence and made them instantly the "evil corporation". You can't fuck up big time and expect or hope that people will forgive. Obviously, some didn't.

Mailenstein said:

The internets, the place where you only need 3 lines of ambiguous text based on an excerpt of a transcription of what some guy typed (reporting third hand info) on an unofficial forum to turn every gullible teenager into this:

angry-mob2.jpg

Go read WHY and HOW Sony asked for those Youtube info. Apply critical thinking and don't believe everything you're told by interested parties.

Top Bottom