• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN Money :Sony's PS3 A Sinking Ship: Sales Plummet

a.wd said:
I know buddy! :lol I was commenting on the fact that the best looking FPS of last gen, that couldn't have been done anywhere else (last gen), didnt propel the Xbox into the stratosphere, in terms of sales, I dont think KZ2 will do that either this gen.

I don't think KZ2 is gonna boost up PS3 sales, but.... Riddick wasn't so hyped and didn't have the same amount of marketing behind.

So comparing both games in terms of "console selling powah" isn't fair at all.

antispin said:
I would like to see how the PS3 is doing versus the 360 at an equitable price point. If the PS3 is tracking close to the 360 at $399, then I don't think Sony's in trouble. If it is significantly lagging, then yes, Sony's screwed.

If the two are tracking together at the same price point, I think the PS3 will enjoy a similar bump as the 360 did after its price drop. Note that before the $199 core, the 360 and the PS3 were running close to each other. Also note that retail musings suggest that it's the Arcade units that are selling the 360 to its current numbers; not the Pro/Elite (not suggesting that the latter don't sell, just that price is definitely the factor here).

Will the PS3 be able to drop in price to 360 levels? I would think close to, if not exactly at the same price. One hurdle could be the hard drive, which would not scale down in price as much as the processors would -- it's not exactly a component that rides the Moore's curve. The other issue of course, and this is the genius of MS strategy this gen, is that the PS3 is lagging the 360 by one year. So even if Moore's Law comes to favour, it would only do so at a time-lag (everything else assumed equal, could be a wrong assumption of course).

Therefore we might see either miniscule price shavings, or Sony tightening its belt, borrowing money and sinking (even more) cash to boost sales. Either way, it's too early to call the PS3 a sinking ship. Maybe it's a ship that has spotted an iceberg ahead and it's up to the captain and the crew to steer it to safety.

Or to sink it.

If my notes and math are right, this is what I have. During ps3's and 360's 2nd November (when ps3 first dropped to $399) through July '07 (that was the last month 360 remained at $399; price drop in Aug '07), the cumulative totals have ps3 slightly above 360: 3,096,700 versus 3,029,766. What pushed ps3 ahead was the Metal Gear bundle, which came out in June '07. Had it not been for that bundle, 360 would have been ahead of ps3 in cumulative sales during this time frame.

Azih

The CNN article was kinda amateurish but the washpost rebuttal was worse. I never though I'd see the Playstation 'brand' argument being made outside of Sony PR and forums.

Prax

a.wd said:
I know buddy! :lol I was commenting on the fact that the best looking FPS of last gen, that couldn't have been done anywhere else (last gen), didnt propel the Xbox into the stratosphere, in terms of sales, I dont think KZ2 will do that either this gen.

I think what you don't see is the synergy of the hype and investment in KZ2, and how it'll surpass Riddick..

KZ2 may just get a remake and TWO sequels. At the same time. In the same game.
KZ4 in time for PS4!

Sony will be back on top in no time with this kind of head start.

On another note, I don't mind Nintendo getting away with that they did, but how long term are they thinking with their hardware?
Long enough to invest in a couple more Fire Emblems on the console, I hope. And maybe a proper Wars game.
That's not going to light any sales chart on fire for them, but I want rewards for my loyalty!

Top Bottom