• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cocktail of Choice and Recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shun

My favorite kind of drink to make is variations of gin cocktails and fizz.

My go to one is Violet Fizz.

Creme de Violette
Beefeater/Plymouth Gin
Dried flower petals of your choice
Serve over Ice

Optional egg white and lime

ClXpT2nVAAIQg-1.jpg:large

Litchi liquor with gin works pretty well too.

I also like drinking a maitai but that shit is too much work.

Stasis

Floral Martini.

3/4oz Esprit De June
1 1/2oz Gin (Something decent)
3/4oz Dry Vermouth (Also a good one here...)
3 dashes orange bitters
Lemon garnish

Mix in a mixing glass, serve in a cocktail glass/coupe.

Cucumberous

1 1/2oz Magellan Gin (or any other decent...)
3/4oz St Germain (elderflower liqueur)
3/4oz cucumber juice (blend and strain)
1/4oz lime juice
1/4oz rosemary infused simple syrup
Couple dashes orange bitters

You're welcome.

Though these are both somewhat light in taste and gin-based, they're also both packing a punch and full of flavour. I can offer up a lot of great vodka based cocktails or bourbon/rye/Scotch as well.

These two, however, are crowd pleasers. Especially the second.

Edit: Above is a take on the aviation. Which is creme de Violette, gin, and maraschino liqueur. Doesn't usually come out that purple but can be quite tasty as well if done right using proper gin!

Edit 2: Yes I have all of the above at home currently: Creme de Violette, Esprit De June, etc. Except Magellan Gin. Though I do have St-Laurent, Oxley, Canopée, Bulldog, and Star of Bombay. I'm a fan of gin, single malts and bourbon. Oddly.

Stasis

Gin & Tonic

Bombay Sapphire
Schwepps Tonic
Ice
Lemon and Lime juices

bombay-sapphire-east-620x388.jpg

That's ultimate base. Not bad, but there are many simple ways to take this further.

Cucumber slices added to a different gin, like Hendrick's or many others. Fresh basil does wonders.

Primarily the tonic is the issue, through. Regular stuff like Canada Dry and Schweppes simply aren't up to the level for a great cocktail. And I don't mean spending a fortune either. Fentiman's isn't hard to find. Makes a huge difference. Many real tonic (natural botanicals, quinine) are sold in syrup form as well. Mix with a quality club soda/sparkling water to obtain true tonic water. I recommend Jack Rudy or Tomr personally, though tasting both to determine preference is best. There are many others! And also other quality tonics. Q tonic. Fever Tree. 1642. Etc.

There are so many different ways to do a G&T "properly" or to make it your own, and there's nothing wrong with the basics you've listed, but that's just what's now commonly known and accepted. That's not what they were. Lots to discover. The journey is fun!

Dirty vodka martini

3 parts vodka (Tito's, if you have it)
1 part dry vermouth
splash of olive brine

shake over ice

garnish that fucker with like 3 olives

BOOM. Drink and a snack

Summer Down Under

-2 shots of bourbon
-Splash of orange juice
-Heaping of salt
-Dollop of vegemite
-Shaken

So good.

Srs though I don't really like many cocktails. Most of the ones I've drank I don't remember the name of for obvious reasons.

At one of the Star Wars celebrations, they had a Hoth ice bar set up. They did this thing they called a Tattooine Sunrise.

Super easy.

Layer, not stir:

Gin
Pineapple Juice *
Orange Juice *
Cranberry Juice *
* I don't quite remember the exact order, but this seems right

And there, it looks like a sunrise on Tattooine.

EDIT: But my go-to isn't anywhere near as fussy.

Bourbon, usually Old Grand-dad because I like it, poured to 2/3's of a high ball glass.
Lukewarm tap water to top it off.
No ice, no chill.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Margarita :

1 part fresh lime juice
1 part orange Liqueur
1 part simple syrup
2 parts silver tequila

Shaken

This is my favorite summertime cocktail

Stasis

Dirty vodka martini

3 parts vodka (Tito's, if you have it)
1 part dry vermouth
splash of olive brine

shake over ice

garnish that fucker with like 3 olives

BOOM. Drink and a snack

This is a good classic. Tito's and Ketel One are my go to vodkas for basics, definitely.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Old Fashioned

-Rye whiskey or bourbon
-Sugar cube
-Angostura bitters
-Water or club soda

Put the sugar cube in an Old Fashioned glass. Add 2-3 dashes of bitters and a splash of water or club soda. Muddle the sugar cube. Add a big ice cube or two. Add liquor and stir. You can add a cherry and/or bit of orange rind if you like, but I don't like muddling that stuff with the sugar.

s6muJq7.jpg

For the summer I am enjoying a Vitamix Margarita recipe.

1 entire Lime, peeled
1 entire Lemon, peeled
1 entire Navel Orange, peeled
2 oz. Triple Sec
6 oz. Tequila

Blend until smooth.

Either pour over ice or if a slushy margarita is preferred, add 2 1/2 ice cube trays of ice to blender, and mix until slushy. Serve.

Makes 4 drinks.

Old Fashioned

-Rye whiskey or bourbon
-Sugar cube
-Angostura bitters
-Water or club soda

Put the sugar cube in an Old Fashioned glass. Add 2-3 dashes of bitters and a splash of water or club soda. Muddle the sugar cube. Add a big ice cube or two. Add liquor and stir. You can add a cherry and/or bit of orange rind if you like, but I don't like muddling that stuff with the sugar.

s6muJq7.jpg
This is pretty much my favorite too. Except I use simple syrup instead of a sugar cube. Just never dissolves like I want it to.

I skip the cherry, but I will add an orange rind. I do need to try it with club soda, though. I generally always use water.

IronRinn

Manhattan:

2 oz. (or 60 grams) Bourbon or rye whiskey
1 oz. (or 30 grams) Sweet vermouth
2-3 dashes (1-2 grams) Angostura bitters

Stir with ice, serve on the rocks (preferably one, large ice cube) and garnish with a cherry. Some people like it shaken and served straight up, but doing it this way tends to make the drink taste too bitter until it warms up in my experience/opinion.

GRIP

This is pretty much my favorite too. Except I use simple syrup instead of a sugar cube. Just never dissolves like I want it to.

I skip the cherry, but I will add an orange rind. I do need to try it with club soda, though. I generally always use water.

I don't think you need to be adding water or club soda if you're using simple syrup. Could be wrong, but I thought you only added one or the other when using sugar to help it dissolve which is essentially what you have with simple syrup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom