• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bar Liquidation: You build it, I drink it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

adg1034

That sounds good. Reminds me of an aviation but with Bourbon for Gin and Curacao/kirschwasser for creme de violette. I wish I could make that right now. In general, you should shake drinks with citrus, and stir drinks without. I wouldn't shake this one

Oh, I know the rules, but I ended up putting a bit more bourbon in than I meant to, so I was just trying to dilute it down a little. Went too far in the other direction, but I'm definitely trying this again stirred.

Booties

Banned
Oh, I know the rules, but I ended up putting a bit more bourbon in than I meant to, so I was just trying to dilute it down a little. Went too far in the other direction, but I'm definitely trying this again stirred.

Cool. Well enjoy. I just made a manhatten with a grenadine rinse as per Christine's request. Delicious.

Ferrio

Banned
I have lemon, orange, lime and mandarin orange juice. I also has club now.

Oh I'm horrible and blindly making drinks.... but let's try

2 parts Orange Juice
1 parts Meyer's Dark Rum
1/2 parts curacao
Maybe a dash of lemon to offset the curacao.

Let's name it the Mean Green Thing.

edit; Man I have a huge cabinet with so many half finished bottles. I should pick up some juices and mixers some night and have a go at this. I've actually had this very thread idea in my mind for a long time.. just never got off my ass to do it.

Booties

Banned
Oh I'm horrible and blindly making drinks.... but let's try

2 parts Orange Juice
1 parts Meyer's Dark Rum
1/2 parts curacao
Maybe a dash of lemon to offset the curacao.

Let's name it the Mean Green Thing.

edit; Man I have a huge cabinet with so many half finished bottles. I should pick up some juices and mixers some night and have a go at this. I've actually had this very thread idea in my mind for a long time.. just never got off my ass to do it.

I'll adjust the proportions then make it.

Booties

Banned
Bluecoat
1 egg yolk
tabasco
worcestershire sauce
pepper

that was my first drink. it put hair on my chest.

I did
1.5 oz gin
0.5 simple
0.5 lemon juice
0.25 tobasco
0.25 worcestershire
1 egg white

dry shake, then shake with ice, strain, and cracked fresh black pepper over the drink. It's spicy

aS2Lzvk.jpg

figure I might need to be close to the toilet after I finish drinking this one.

TheExodu5

Banned
You play around with the instant old fashioned yet? I'm curious to try it myself. I figure the cointreau should go well as a substitute for the sugar cube and orange peel in a pinch, and it would greatly reduce the labor component of the drink. I'm thinking a light dash of that maraschino liqueur going by how you describe it.

Christine

Jazz it up a little more. I'm not really in the mood for a manhatten, but I will make it. Never used grenadine like that before in one.

Forget the cherry and the grenadine. Make it perfect, coat the glass with blue curacao AND absinthe, and garnish with burnt lime twist.

If that's still not jazzy enough try dropping 1/4 oz. sambuca into the center of the finished drink.

Booties

Banned
You play around with the instant old fashioned yet? I'm curious to try it myself. I figure the cointreau should go well as a substitute for the sugar cube and orange peel in a pinch, and it would greatly reduce the labor component of the drink. I'm thinking a light dash of that maraschino liqueur going by how you describe it.

I FORGOT HAH! Actually I just finished making it but won't get to grab a pic bc my phone is almost dead. It's a strong drink. I did like 2.25 oz Makers, 0.5 Cointreau (I wasn't payign attention and spilled a bit more than I wanted so lets say almost 1oz.), a splash of marachino, 1 dash angostura, 1 dash peychauds.

It's a man's drink for sure. Served in an old fashion glass over 1 giant ice cube.

Pernod and water.

3 parts water.
1 part Pernod.

Love those. I may wait until tomorrow at this point though.

The Cakehat Special
1/2 Screwdriver
1/2 Bloody Mary

I don't have all the bloody mary stuff :(

Forget the cherry and the grenadine. Make it perfect, coat the glass with blue curacao AND absinthe, and garnish with burnt lime twist.

If that's still not jazzy enough try dropping 1/4 oz. sambuca into the center of the finished drink.

I made your drink and it was good. I couldn't really taste much difference from the grenadine unfortunately. I'll try another of yours tomorrow night.

TheExodu5

Banned
I FORGOT HAH! Actually I just finished making it but won't get to grab a pic bc my phone is almost dead. It's a strong drink. I did like 2.25 oz Makers, 0.5 Cointreau (I wasn't payign attention and spilled a bit more than I wanted so lets say almost 1oz.), a splash of marachino, 1 dash angostura, 1 dash peychauds.

It's a man's drink for sure. Served in an old fashion glass over 1 giant ice cube.

Sweet. Yeah, old fashioned is a strong drink. Whisky is my liquor of choice so I'm not phased by it though. Have you ever had an old fashioned? I'm curious how it compares with the Cointreau.

Booties

Banned
Sweet. Yeah, old fashioned is a strong drink. Whisky is my liquor of choice so I'm not phased by it though. Have you ever had an old fashioned? I'm curious how it compares with the Cointreau.

Like I said earlier, the old fashion is my drink of choice so I have them all the time. The major difference was that this recipe used cointreau instead of sugar or simple. Not as sweet and stronger in alcohol. The luxardo gave it a weird, viscous feeling that was way too strong.

dorn.

Just do a basic Old Pal then

1 oz bourbon/rye
1 oz dry vermouth
1 oz campari

Garnish with orange peel/lemon peel. This is one of my all time favorites.

I know this one as a Boulevardier, using sweet vermouth. Gotta try it with dry vermouth some time, can't really imagine it working as well.

Labrys

i don't drink but my dad bartended in college and had a little book of all the recipes he had, this one always sounded so fancy

clover club:

2 oz dry gin (bluecoat would work from what i can tell)
1 egg white
1/2 oz lemon juice
1/4 oz grenadine syrup

pour ingredients into shaker with ice, shake well, strain into cocktail glass

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Well I mostly only drink bourbon and drink it neat, but I still can't seem to enjoy Maker's. As a result I've been trying to find a mix for it on the other side of the spectrum and this a perfect opportunity to try out some ideas.

Tom Waits' Lemonade

1oz Maker's
1/2oz brandy
1/2oz lemon juice
tsp rosemary
tsp honey

I'd imagine on the rocks
(With a around %30 it should still be comfortably strong[crosses fingers])

Booties

Banned
i don't drink but my dad bartended in college and had a little book of all the recipes he had, this one always sounded so fancy

clover club:

2 oz dry gin (bluecoat would work from what i can tell)
1 egg white
1/2 oz lemon juice
1/4 oz grenadine syrup

pour ingredients into shaker with ice, shake well, strain into cocktail glass

Yeah that's a really good classic drink. I use this similar recipe.

2 oz gin
0.75 oz lemon
0.5 oz simple
1 barspoon raspberry preserves
1 egg white

Grenadine would definitely work. I'll try it out.

Well I mostly only drink bourbon and drink it neat, but I still can't seem to enjoy Maker's. As a result I've been trying to find a mix for it on the other side of the spectrum and this a perfect opportunity to try out some ideas.

Tom Waits' Lemonade

1oz Maker's
1/2oz brandy
1/2oz lemon juice
tsp rosemary
tsp honey

I'd imagine on the rocks
(With a around %30 it should still be comfortably strong[crosses fingers])

Glad someone is finally using the rosemary! Bonus points.

TheExodu5

Banned
Like I said earlier, the old fashion is my drink of choice so I have them all the time. The major difference was that this recipe used cointreau instead of sugar or simple. Not as sweet and stronger in alcohol. The luxardo gave it a weird, viscous feeling that was way too strong.

Alright, so skip the luxardo and either up the cointreau or add in a bit of simple syrup.

Ovek

7Member7
Pfft keep it simple...

Black Russian

1 3/4 oz Penn 1681
3/4 oz Kahlua

over ice in a standard looking glass.

Booties

Banned
How'd the Tabasco drink go? I don't think we ever got your review.

Oh you mean this one:

I did
1.5 oz gin
0.5 simple
0.5 lemon juice
0.25 tobasco
0.25 worcestershire
1 egg white

dry shake, then shake with ice, strain, and cracked fresh black pepper over the drink. It's spicy

aS2Lzvk.jpg

figure I might need to be close to the toilet after I finish drinking this one.

I was drunk at this point and forgot to review it. It was great. I never really have drinks with hot sauce in them so I'm not sure what to say. Heat and Gin are an interesting combination. This one was very firey and acidic. I should try it a couple more times with different proportions. I like it a lot though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom