• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD:Ghosts PS4/XBO Comparisons show the same resolution (720p)?

TheKayle

Banned
Yes! It absolutely affects framerate.

There were a number of games that ran much smoother in 480p mode versus 720p on PS3.

The best example is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 which ran at about 40 fps in 720p mode (judder was severe) while it hits a perfect 60 fps in 480p. Many other games exhibit similar improvements.

but if is this is the case....why even bore to have that 1080p resolution ready if there are this fps issue..and then need to go to 720?

NBtoaster

So you're an advocate of the "PS4 version got downgraded to native 720p" theory, I presume?

I'm a PS4 fan, but I would actually love to see that happen, just to see the internet explode. And, it would save me $60 bucks.

I don't think the ohter theories make practical sense. Unless the Elgato HD automatically upscales 720p output it captures to 1080p?

Flo_Evans

Huh? Happened in many games on PS3. Change the resolution down to 480p, and the game actually renders at 720x480 resolution.

Yeah I really don't see what is unbelievable about a cross gen PC port running at different resolutions.

This entire thing is a mess. I used to kind of believe people where purposefully trying to minimize console differences but it seems like its more a case of incompetence.

Hey let's do a head to head! Ok I'll set one console for colorblind mode and one for 720p! Great job everyone.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm apologise to you for entering a discussion. Is your opinion more valid?

But your opinion isn't valid, no. Read the OP again just to set you straight. The images you are comparing aren't representative of 1080p V 720p if the OP is right. Go to a comparison thread if you want to carry on doing this.

Donny

My analyse
Ghost seem:

Solo (more heavy, FX, post-process):
720p on Xone and 720p on PS4 with more stable framerate

Multi:
720p on Xone and 1080p on PS4 with more unstable framerate

Quaz51 from B3D? If so, damn. IW half lied to us.

Finalizer

That's his guess/hope. Would be great with clarification on this from Sony source. And wouldn't having the game change actual rendering resolution make it harder to QA test, when you need to test both/all resolutions. specially if it will drastically change the fps output

Obviously, it would be good to have clarification from Sony/Activision/IW, but till then (or a DF face-off), we don't have much else to go on.

Like I said, resolutions aren't this complicated thing, it's likely trivially easy to implement that into a console space, especially considering CoD has a PC port which supports changing resolutions already. And for what it's worth, I highly suspect the games we're seeing at launch are seriously skimping out on the QA process - just look at the BF4 hullabaloo.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
but if is this is the case....why even bore to have that 1080p resolution ready if there are this fps issue..and then need to go to 720?
Well, in the case of Call of Duty, it doesn't seem like that sort of problem. The drops appear to occur in isolated, quick bursts. It's not as if it runs below 60 fps for any length of time. I doubt dropping the resolution would solve the issue. Seems like something else is going on.

You know, IW screwed up the Wii U version compared to the other two, and PC is a mess, so what makes it out of this realm that the Next Gen versions are similiarly screwed up? Both could be lazy 720p ports.

IW probably just concentrated on the 360 then PS3 the way it is looking.

at this point, we don't know. we're waiting on someone who knows what the fuck they're looking at to confirm exactly what the situation is with this game.

since the first GAFfers are getting their system today (Taco Bell winners), we shouldn't have to wait too long.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You know, IW screwed up the Wii U version compared to the other two, and PC is a mess, so what makes it out of this realm that the Next Gen versions are similiarly screwed up? Both could be lazy 720p ports.

IW probably just concentrated on the 360 then PS3 the way it is looking.
IW didn't work on the Wii U version. That hot mess comes straight from Treyarch.

antti-la

There were a number of games that ran much smoother in 480p mode versus 720p on PS3.

The best example is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 which ran at about 40 fps in 720p mode (judder was severe) while it hits a perfect 60 fps in 480p. Many other games exhibit similar improvements.

Okay, well this is completely new information for me, kind of cool too. Thanks. If this is true then maybe the PS4's at the event really were set to push out only 720p, even though the game includes a 1080p resolution too.

Still, eagerly waiting what's the truth behind all of this.

sTaTIx

You're making assumptions that there even is a major framerate issue. Thus far, only Polygon's review has stated that framerate is a significant hamper on gameplay on the PS4. Most other reviews state that the framerate dips are insignificant and occasional.

If the framerate drops are only occasional, and are in the 45-50fps range, then the average gamer would never even notice. Hence, the upgrade to 1080p resolution would be well worth the slight tradeoff in performance consistency.

Cuyejo

My analyse
Ghost seem:

Multi:

If this is the Quaz51 from Beyond3d then I say we can take your word as gospel, either way, there's something fucked up in all of this, some thoughts:

-Activision has been lying for some unknown reason about the PS4 version's resolution.
-Gaming reviewers have been stupidly ignoring this.
-The direct feed capture equipment could have been set to 720p and 60fps as opposed to 1080p and 30 fps, to capture the framerate feel. Maybe video capturing equipment owners can shed a light on this.

Chobel

I would assume this is a mistake on the end of the reviewers, correct?

How could Sony and Activision both be wrong about the resolution.

There this comment with an interesting theory

To restate my theory from the other thread, I am beginning to believe that some of the PS4 systems used to demonstrate the game at the review event may not have been set up correctly to run the game at 1080p. If the game was being shown on PS4 both at 1080p to some and 720p to others, this would explain why some of the reviewers could not see any difference, while others saw a clear advantage for Sony. It would also explain how the footage captured by IGN and Sixth Axis appears to be native 720p on both systems.

My assumption is that Marc Rubin did not lie, the PS4 can run at native 1080p, but not everyone who reviewed the game actually got to see it that way, and none of the comparison footage we have right now is representative of the resolution advantage.

How did this happen? I don't know. It could be a firmware bug with how HDMI connections were negotiated on the debug hardware they used, or it could be simple user error in how the machines were configured by Activision.

Paganmoon

Obviously, it would be good to have clarification from Sony/Activision/IW, but till then (or a DF face-off), we don't have much else to go on.

Like I said, resolutions aren't this complicated thing, it's likely trivially easy to implement that into a console space, especially considering CoD has a PC port which supports changing resolutions already. And for what it's worth, I highly suspect the games we're seeing at launch are seriously skimping out on the QA process - just look at the BF4 hullabaloo.

Yeah, that I agree with, the resolution itself is not that hard to implement, but on pc there is no real target FPS for QA to test. For the console there is, and having two different resolution to test, it'd make it harder to test the target FPS. They'd have to make sure all QA consoles were set to 1080p as not to get strange results.
Might not be a big issue I suppose, but still.

Which makes me think, if people were running this on 720p on the PS4, not seeing any difference in the IQ with the Xbox One 720p, and still saying the PS4 had framerate issues, how would it even run on 1080p@60fps?

not taking sides on this, as I really don't care for CoD but the results do bring up many questions.

iJudged

Banned
Wow. Only ever used mine on a 14" colour portable.

zx81 on the other hand... Still remember keying in all those magazine code only to find there were errors in it. Bah!
Oh my, for me, loading those dang games from the cassettes and getting syntax error omg omg hehe but my real first experience that opened my eyes was Pong with those stick turn controllers, Aahh good memories. Probably the reason why I don't give 2 shits about these resolutions, all these games looks incredible on next gen, well all but few :)

nib95

Banned
My analyse
Ghost seem:

Multi:

Damn, Quaz is the OG pixel counter, so maybe we should pay attention.

Bowler

I could be wrong, but those images look to be the same source, with a warm 2 color toggle between them.

Purposely fucking with the Internet?

*hides under rock

Naminator

Banned
As far as I see it there are only two possibilities.

1. Both Xbone version and PS4 version are running at native 720p upscaled to 1080p.

2. Changing your output settings on the console also changes the resolution of the software, in which case it is possible that who ever did this comparison did it on a 720p TV, which forced the PS4 and CoD Ghosts to output native 720p.

So which one is it?

Hopefully some website picks up on this and give us a real comparison.

sTaTIx

My analyse
Ghost seem:

Multi:

Holy shit, is this THE famous OG pixel counter from Beyond3D???

I ignored this post because I thought it was just speculation from some random poster.

Damn, Quaz is the OG pixel counter, so maybe we should pay attention.

Yeah, I think the native 1080p is actually 1080p*

*only in multi-player.

I would take that post, if that is Quaz, as what the best guess is right now.

So GAF, you can get your pitchforks ready.

Quaz51

If this is the Quaz51 from Beyond3d then I say we can take your word as gospel, either way, there's something fucked up in all of this, some thoughts:

-Activision has been lying for some unknown reason about the PS4 version's resolution.
-Gaming reviewers have been stupidly ignoring this.
-The direct feed capture equipment could have been set to 720p and 60fps as opposed to 1080p and 30 fps, to capture the framerate feel. Maybe video capturing equipment owners can shed a light on this.

and for complicate the story IGN capture seem 1080i

I don't think the ohter theories make practical sense. Unless the Elgato HD automatically upscales 720p output it captures to 1080p?

We know both consoles output 1080P with the x1 version internally rendered at 720P and upscaled with dat super secret sauce scaler and the PS4 outputting at native 1080P.

Either both the x1 and PS4 have been set in the console settings to 720P output or the capture equipment automatically downscales to 720P but either way if the PS4 is the superior version we should still see differences when comparing the two versions.

Doesnt the fact that we dont see any difference suggest that both versions are the same?

Paganmoon

I hope you do an actual test of running the games in different resolutions, and report back with IQ and framerate. Is that in the works?

Holy shit, is this THE famous OG pixel counter from Beyond3D???

I ignored this post because I thought it was just speculation from some random poster.

Yeah, I think we have the answer in his post. IW told a "mostly false" or "half true" statement with 1080p comments, if you know the Politifact.com scale.

Yeah, I think the native 1080p is actually 1080p*

*only in multi-player.

I would take that post, if that is Quaz, as what the best guess is right now.

So GAF, you can get your pitchforks ready.

well, it still leaves a LOT to be desired in the review coverage. we've had people saying it looks the same and it doesn't. we've had people saying the framerate is worse in the PS4 version and people saying it's fine in both.

this would flip everything on it's head.

it would also be really bizarre for them to favour framerate in single player, and resolution in multiplayer. unless that framerate patch really does fix things there, and it's just been a fixable bug causing the issues on PS4.

methane47

My analyse
Ghost seem:

Multi:

Wait wait wait...

So PS4 had a MORE stable framerate in SP and a less stable one in MP.
-.5 from Polygon! lol

Finalizer

Yeah, that I agree with, the resolution itself is not that hard to implement, but on pc there is no real target FPS for QA to test. For the console there is, and having two different resolution to test, it'd make it harder to test the target FPS. They'd have to make sure all QA consoles were set to 1080p as not to get strange results.
Might not be a big issue I suppose, but still.

Unless the QA process were seriously incompetent, I'd imagine they'd all just be testing to make sure 1080p was hitting its targets and not really worrying about lower resolutions besides "it doesn't find some way to crash" since it should simply follow that if the target FPS is being hit at 1080p (or hitting within some threshold of being "good enough"), then it'll be absolutely fine at lower resolutions.

Which makes me think, if people were running this on 720p on the PS4, not seeing any difference in the IQ with the Xbox One 720p, and still saying the PS4 had framerate issues, how would it even run on 1080p@60fps?

Honestly, iunno lol. You can take a look at Brad Grenz's post for a theory, as well as another one from dark10x for some theories. Until we get a DF or some other proper comparison, there's really not much else to go on.

EDIT: Lots of folks looking at Quaz51's post so I guess that's something too.

not taking sides on this, as I really don't care for CoD but the results do bring up many questions.

Stop spreading FUD you fucking fanboy, goddamn MSgaf making bullshit up again.

Synless

My analyse
Ghost seem:

Multi:

Why would they ever make the MP run at a higher resolution with a worse framerate? Why wouldn't you do that to the single player instead?

Can we have confirmation if this is him?
Pretty sure it is, he has posted here in the past.

Top Bottom