• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD is the ultimate “in-between” game

Mythoclast

I haven’t bought COD in a while (I think since MW19) and I had such a blast playing MW3. The game itself is so much fun.

After going through FF16 and AC6, it just feels like the ultimate fun game.

I know it tends to be cool to shit on these games, but I genuinely believe there’s a reason they sell like they do.

To me, just hopping into a Team Deathmatch in between Starfield sessions is the ultimate palette cleanser.

It also doesn’t hurt that the campaign is short, linear and action-packed. A welcome change to all these 100-hour padded games that have been the trend for the last 5-10 years.

Anyone else actually excited for the next COD?

Antwix

I used to play CoD almost exclusively when I was a kid around the original MW trilogy/Black Ops 1-2 days but I dropped it for like a decade. Bought MW2 2022 since my buddy still plays all of them and they're super fun. Probably picking up the next game in a few weeks. It's just a game you can pick up and play whenever. For like 15 minutes or 5 hours. I agree that it's a nice palette cleanser. Plus there's a bunch of different game modes nowadays (aside from the typical normal modes) like 3rd person, ground war, warzone, dmz/zombies, etc. Not to mention the campaigns are really fun. People hate on it a lot but it's a real nice value.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
CoD used to be my end of night game for sure.

Battlefield matches are too long, but when im done with a gaming session a round or two in CoD was perfect and I can move on.

When Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive were still popular they were my end of night game combined with CoD.
If I had been playing a shooters story mode I can do a few matches in SC or DoA and im ready for bed.
If ive been playing an RPG, then I might just want to do some shoot shoot bang bang and CoD fills that slot perfectly.

Im hoping xDefiant is actually popular and/or MWIII fixes my issues with MWII then I can have another shortish game I can play a quick round of.

RagnarokIV

Mainly campaigns for me. They always get a solid cast of good actors. Some of my favorites have popped up.

The Treyarch ones especially because they knock it out of the park.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Some of them have surprisingly good single player campaigns, worth a rental at least for those if nothing else. Modern Warfare 2019 had a great campaign, the best since Infinite Warfare. MW2 was also good but the two sudden survival missions really took me out of the experience, especially the final mission in the campaign being a survival-themed one.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I fucking love COD.

No other shooter feels as good. The campaign is short, graphically good, action packed, and actually damn good. The MP is still addicting as hell.

MW3 will be the last game I buy all year and im diving into it right after Alan Wake 2

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Overwatch is this for me. I still have a almost daily session of overwatch every night, the best part is I'm not alone, I'm usually playing with 1-3 others. It's great fun to socialize and play some ranked with friends.

Cod is that for me when no one else is online, since you can carry solo on cod. But not all cod games are created equal. MW1 and MW2, and Vanguard were shit. But I have hope for MW3. My friends fell out of love with cod, so I'm alone there now

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Hit me up if you play overwatch, I could also do cod cold war (the last good Cod lol)

Psn: jorgejjvr (but also my username everywhere)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Sure and FIFA and whatever other game of the kind is also the ultimate in between game and they are so fun despite people with taste shitting on them.
the issue with "people with taste" is that the have a tendency to be complete and utter snobs who look down on people for enjoying 'lesser media' than them.. kind of like the guy who typed this shite post i'm replying to.

Behaviour like this gets you no bitches dude. Let people enjoy things even if it's COD.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I don't play the campaigns but the multiplayer is a ton of fun. It's great for playing inbetween other games but this time I plan to just keep playing MW2 and Cold War instead of buying MW3.

drotahorror

CoD used to be my end of night game for sure.

Battlefield matches are too long, but when im done with a gaming session a round or two in CoD was perfect and I can move on.

When Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive were still popular they were my end of night game combined with CoD.
If I had been playing a shooters story mode I can do a few matches in SC or DoA and im ready for bed.
If ive been playing an RPG, then I might just want to do some shoot shoot bang bang and CoD fills that slot perfectly.

Im hoping xDefiant is actually popular and/or MWIII fixes my issues with MWII then I can have another shortish game I can play a quick round of.
Maybe mommy can find a new game for baby if xDefiant doesn't work out?

diffusionx

Gold Member
MWIII plays well but should be a patch for MWII. Maybe I get it on sale at some point but full price for this is crazy after the steaming turd they gave us last year.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me COD is similar to sports games......way out my taste when it comes to what I enjoy out my games.

Calverz

I agree OP. Its good to fill time inbetween game releases you want to play etc. I think I have about 500 hours in MW2 and looking forward to MW3.

splattered

Sure and FIFA and whatever other game of the kind is also the ultimate in between game and they are so fun despite people with taste shitting on them.

classy GIF

Vol5

Can't lie. Been smashing MW2 recently. Fucking woeful respawning I'm sure actively wants you to die and feel like a hero when you get more than 4 kills in a row keeping that addictive loop going, but can't deny when it's good, it's really good.

All the lads from back in the 360 era are buying MW3, so it's a foregone conclusion I'll be getting it.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Sort of. I view COD as a mindless game you play BSing with friends. There's really no depth to it at all to just enjoy it as a game.

Mattyp

Gold Member
100% I get more value out of COD than any single player AAA game that I beat in 20 hours and delete

What a lot of people don’t understand, you knock a single player game over in 10 hours or so I’m not into completion and never go back to a game after I’ve finished it once.

You divide hours of fun just with the boys on MP even if it’s only 2-3 months before you all get bored it’s way better value.

Some of the CoD single players have really been up there and vastly better to me than some of the SP only games, people still sleeping on Infinite Warfare.

Lunarorbit

I've tried to play shooters that are mp focused for years and it hasn't taken. But I actually work at a place with a few guys who game and cod is one of the multiplayer games we talked about.

I just got mw2 in the mail so if I like that I'll be excited to get into it for at least the winter. Mw2 was the first game I got trophies on the ps3

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
After not playing one for years and years I got a good 200 hours out of MW2. It’s fun. I’ll probably buy the new one if it’s on Steam again.

Knightime_X

I was excited for Mw3 when they announced MW2. >_>
WAS going to skip mw3, but they did what they should have done with mw2 to begin with.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I buy COD every year for the campaign and play a month or two of the MP and get bored with it

But yeah right there with ya still enjoy a quick game of TDM and kill confirmed, really the only modes I play
I must be the only one who's bought all these and never played the single player games. I always jump into multiplayer day one and try to keep up!

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I must be the only one who's bought all these and never played the single player games. I always jump into multiplayer day one and try to keep up!
Its nice that they are giving a week early to play the single player before unlocking MP letting people finish the campaign

BigLee74

COD MP is THE game when you have a spare 30 minutes to fill. Nothing else comes close.

I normally love the campaigns too, but the last one (MW2) was dreadful. I much preferred the whack-a-mole campaigns of old!

manfestival

kinda tired of them milking the same game since the success of mw19. I bought mw2022 for sure and it was okay but seeing mw23 and the naming scheme of this is just tiring already.

Really hoping that xDefiant really becomes that game for me that COD once was.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
250 hours on mw 2022 per my last check. I am almost done getting Gold camo for every gun. (I know Gold isnt the highest camo to grind for but I gotta play other games at some point lol).

Kill Confirmed + Bounty + Hardpoint + Domination is my shit. A little Gun Game for shits and giggles is nice too.

Mythoclast

kinda tired of them milking the same game since the success of mw19. I bought mw2022 for sure and it was okay but seeing mw23 and the naming scheme of this is just tiring already.

Really hoping that xDefiant really becomes that game for me that COD once was.
Knowing Ubisoft I already know it won’t. Every game they’ve tried to clone in the past has had that distinctive, floaty, “Ubisoft” feel. Im pretty sure that the game will see no more success than The Division.

They should stick to making AssCreeds and Splinter Cells.

Three

CoD is like sliced bread. Plain, familiar, a go to for a quick snack.

I play Hardcore TDM almost exclusively. I'm sure there are likely better MP games out there but it's just what I'm familiar with, what the people I play with are familiar with too.

Housh

I have no shame in buying COD every year since 2019. It's my junk food game. I play it often with the audio off grinding multiplayer when I'm on the phone or listening to podcasts.

It's the only game I buy digital too since I can boot it up whenever throughout the year as a break from a single player game on the PS5.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I have no shame in buying COD every year since 2019. It's my junk food game. I play it often with the audio off grinding multiplayer when I'm on the phone or listening to podcasts.

It's the only game I buy digital too since I can boot it up whenever throughout the year as a break from a single player game on the PS5.
I too often play it with no sound

Sure it gets me killed some but with SBMM I don't care so much anymore

I haven’t played a COD since MW on Xbox 360, and probably never need to play another one ever again.
Yeah, moved to other genres and more varied stuff. CoD is like that old friend you know about and how they are faring in life but you don't really want to keep contact with.

I haven’t played a COD since MW on Xbox 360, and probably never need to play another one ever again.
Lol, last one I bought was Black Ops 2 and I've not felt like I've missed much.

I will say though, that I do wish I could play some of the campaigns again though. Maybe in a big collection. I've said for the longest time that I wish Activision would release the campaign and mp seperately for half the price. I'd have picked up so many more CoD's in that case, as I just don't have the time or motivation to play MP CoD, but I have enjoyed plenty of time with the single/co-op campaigns.

I went years without playing a COD game (think the last was original modern warfare 3 in 2011) but over the course of this year I have been plating various recent games (ww2, mw2019, cold war etc) and they really are great campaigns.

As op says they are short, do not out stay their welcome and highly entertaining. Don't deserve the hate.

Last edited:
I too often play it with no sound

Sure it gets me killed some but with SBMM I don't care so much anymore

Yeah I don't play with sound off but I do use the integrated Spotify app on the PlayStation and just listen to my music playlist while I play 6v6 multiplayer. I can still hear guns, explosions and some callouts but not a lot of footsteps unless they're close by.

This brings up a good point that I've been thinking about lately. There's been so much discourse, especially with content creators regarding footstep sounds, UAVs and red dots on the mini map, etc. I will blatantly admit I never use a UAV (except DMZ at final exfil to spot enemy campers and to avoid certain areas) and never look at the mini map. Here's the odd thing, 9 times out of 10 I'm in the top spot and always in the top three.

This brings up two questions:
1) Are these things really necessary to be good at the game or are they just a crutch for some players?
2) When does the SBMM kick in that everyone rallies against & hates because I never seem to jump in any harder lobbies after four or five wins like everyone claims?

Maybe I'm a bot and don't know it but why would it keep me in these lobbies if I keep winning and have a good KD ratio. Every lobby that I join is pretty consistent with no wild swings in difficulty. (Everything above is in reference to 6v6 MP and not Warzone which I know footsteps and UAVs play a bigger part.)

Haven’t played a CoD campaign or MP since MW2 (2008)

The most…why bother? Kinda games in existence, but to each their own

It’s a game driven by situational awareness and reflexes, and not engagement…I just don’t care

Last edited:
Top Bottom