• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coffee: The Thread

GeekyDad

It's not a bean (legume). It's actually a seed...

So, with that in mind, how was your seed planted and what did it grow into? When did you first begin drinking coffee? What kind of coffee do you like? Brand? Grind it yourself from whole beans? Regular coffee machine or some fancy contraption? Instant coffee (yuck!!)? Cream, sugar, black? When do you have your coffee, how much, and how often?

Upcycling-coffee-cherries-for-food-Every-major-chocolate-company-is-looking-at-this.jpg

So, yeah, evidently, coffee "beans" are actually seeds from coffee cherries, a fruit (I did not know that).

gjq7nOq.jpg

I first started drinking coffee when I was about 17. I got a job waiting tables at a local Waffle House to help pay for college. Was doing overnights, so it naturally happened by osmosis, I guess. Personally, I'm a Gevalia drinker. I use a regular store-bought maker. I drink two large cups (I'm enjoying my second cup as I write up this thread) with cream & sugar (raw sugar and evaporated milk) each morning. I know some folks don't even make their own -- they'll go to Starbucks or the like.

So, let's talk coffee?

anthony2690

Banned
I just use them Nescafé gold latte sachets at this point, use to really like the vanilla lattes, but they changed the flavour and it has this vile taste now.

So now I just drink the unsweetened lattes.

I think they are quite pleasant, but I'm lazy and don't like my drinks too sweet, also they are a lot cheaper at your local supermarkets than the Amazon link (£1.50 for 8 usually)

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Started to drink pretty much at the same age as you. I never used cream or milk and stopped to use sugar about two years ago. I mix between filter coffee and french press. As for the beans i try as much as possible and don't really have a favorite.

Most importantly i can't imagine a life without coffee.

GeekyDad

I just use them Nescafé gold latte sachets at this point, use to really like the vanilla lattes, but they changed the flavour and it has this vile taste now.

So now I just drink the unsweetened lattes.

I think they are quite pleasant, but I'm lazy and don't like my drinks too sweet, also they are a lot cheaper at your local supermarkets than the Amazon link (£1.50 for 8 usually)
Okay, so a sachet, is that one of those little cups? If so, I see them all the time in the grocery store, but I still don't really know how they work. And I'm guessing each sachet is a cup of coffee's worth?
Coffee the answer :

bialetti-moka-express-espresso-pot-4-tassen-702450-en.jpg
So, is that a French-press machine? I know they're quite popular, but I've never used one. How do they work exactly, and what type of coffee are you using?

anthony2690

Banned
Okay, so a sachet, is that one of those little cups? If so, I see them all the time in the grocery store, but I still don't really know how they work. And I'm guessing each sachet is a cup of coffee's worth?

So, is that a French-press machine? I know they're quite popular, but I've never used one. How do they work exactly, and what type of coffee are you using?
You tip the sachet into a cup, boil the kettle, add the water and mix and they come out surprisingly well. (I don't add anything extra myself)

I've only ever seen hot chocolate in them little cups in the UK, they tend to have a powder in the little cups and you just apply boiling water and mix, my other half likes them, but I'm not a fan myself.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

No that is a Moka pot. You fill the bottom part with water, then there is a metal cup/filter that goes above the water, you fill that with coffee ground for espresso or a bit less fine, ground for a moka pot, then you just cook it on the stove the water boils through the grounds and collects in the top portion. You adjust the strength/size of your coffee by adjusting the water to coffee ratio. I have two different size pots for different occasions depending on how many people how big etc.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
No!

This is a french press pot.

71045jsKPTL._AC_SX466_.jpg

You put in the coffee and boiling water on top. Leave it for some minutes and then you press down the filter. The grind of the coffee should be a little coarser. Has quite a different taste compared to other types of preparation.

Ballthyrm

French Espro Press. Double filtration you get no dregs but it keep the oils.

2808889_0920_vs02.jpg

Single Origin Coffee in season from my favorite local roaster.
Use my own grinder and weigh the beans. Use good quality water.

Around a liter a day there or thereabouts.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
No that is a Moka pot. You fill the bottom part with water, then there is a metal cup/filter that goes above the water, you fill that with coffee ground for espresso or a bit less fine, ground for a moka pot, then you just cook it on the stove the water boils through the grounds and collects in the top portion. You adjust the strength/size of your coffee by adjusting the water to coffee ratio. I have two different size pots for different occasions depending on how many people how big etc.
Some people don't like moka, they think it's too concentrated and bitter.
I used to it so I don't like other types of coffee because I find them watered down.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
iu

I do a pour over cup each morning. Coffee is from a local roaster and the source varies, depending on what I want. I tend to avoid Ethiopian coffees, as there is something about the taste profile that does nothing for me. There are a few blends I really enjoy.

The biggest improvement I've had on my daily coffee journey was bumping up to a burr grinder. It feels dumb paying so much for a grinder, but holy hell does it make a difference coming from a blade grinder. I picked up the Baratza Encore, if any one is curious.

Also, I take my coffee black. No cream, no sugar. If I wanted those, I wouldn't drink the coffee.

I would recommend anyone interested in coffee & espresso to check out James Hoffman's YouTube channel. He's English, but I try not to hold that against him. I borrowed his technique for my pour over and he's been otherwise genuinely helpful & educational for my journey.

I used to it so I don't like other types of coffee because I find them watered down.
It took me a long time to figure out how to make a good cup from a Moka pot. I found James Hoffman's technique to work the best for me and I largely use it as an espresso alternative. So, I will usually only have a cup on the weekends or early afternoon.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Usually have 1 or 2 cups a day at work. I really like coffee but my palet is not refined so I'll drink just about anything.

I like cream or half and half but never milk. I'll have milk in tea but the color it makes when it mixes in coffee and the weak taste make me avoid it.

Coffee definitely helps me poop so I'm glad I'm not a shy pooper

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

It just depends if you know how to manage your ratios. I have a 4-6 "shot" pot and I know how much coffee to add if I just want one "long" coffee. Or I have a smaller pot and I know how much coffee/water to add to make an espresso or latte etc.

The flat white (invented in Australia, of course) is the work of all the angels in heaven. Everything other kind of coffee is filth. You drink it in the morning only.

I won‘t be taking questions at this difficult time. Especially from kiwis.
This is actually correct. I visited Melbourne for work (I even have the KeepCup to prove it) and at the time wasn't much of a coffee person at all. I kept seeing flat whites everywhere and since I was expensing all my meals anyway figured I would try one for breakfast.

They are really fucking good.

Since then I've owned a cheap espresso machine and have been making them myself. I'm pretty sure I'm not quite making actual flat whites, but they are good enough.

DarkestHour

Banned
If anyone can find an inexpensive source for Kalitta Wave filters I'd appreciate it. They go for $10-12 for 50 on Amazon.

Oooh, the 150 pack is on sale for $20 right now on Amazon.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Burger King randomly has decent coffee. They dont even give you a soft drink for their breakfast combos, but coffee by default. I prefer it over waiting in a long line at Dunkins or McD’s.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This is actually correct. I visited Melbourne for work (I even have the KeepCup to prove it) and at the time wasn't much of a coffee person at all. I kept seeing flat whites everywhere and since I was expensing all my meals anyway figured I would try one for breakfast.

They are really fucking good.

Since then I've owned a cheap espresso machine and have been making them myself. I'm pretty sure I'm not quite making actual flat whites, but they are good enough.

Two types of people: those who drink flat whites and know how coffee is meant to exist, and those who haven’t, and are living a HIDEOUS LIE.

Sabotage

I use an Aero Press and usually get beans from Costco or Samsclub - they have 2lbs of beans for no more than $15.
Their "Kirkland" or "Members Mark" in house beans are actually pretty good. I cant remember but Costco or Samsclub's have their beans roasted by Starbucks, I think....

Jeeves

Funny timing for this thread, it was only a couple weeks ago that I decided to elevate my coffee game after falling into the James Hoffman rabbit hole. Can't recommend the guy enough, very knowledgeable without being pretentious or dogmatic.

French press has been my go-to for at least seven years now. It's a simple and foolproof method that makes it virtually impossible to overextract your coffee, and the amount of money you spend on one makes practically no difference in the quality of your coffee. $20 and you have a very capable brewer that won't let you down.

A good grinder and freshly-roasted beans are where I do advocate spending some money. I recently upgraded from a blade grinder to a manual burr grinder and it's resulted in noticeably smoother-tasting coffee. The uniformity of the grounds is important in the same way that when boiling potatoes to mash, you want all the pieces to be about the same size so that they cook at the same rate. If you opt for a manual grinder, all your money goes into the burr quality rather than the motor. The one I bought often goes on sale for $60.

I found that there's a specialty coffee roaster 5 minutes from my house, so now for the first time I'm drinking fresh coffee instead of grocery store coffee that was roasted like over a month before it ever got put on a shelf. For most coffee, you want to wait about four days after they were roasted, to let them de-gas a bit, and then use it all up within about a month.

Couple more tips: Water is an important ingredient. If your tap water tastes bad, it will make bad coffee. And coffee-to-water ratio is important. Try weighing your beans before grinding. 60 grams of coffee per liter of water is a good baseline to try. I only recently figured out that I had been making very weak coffee, and it tasted alright but...it's done a world of good to put more coffee in my coffee.

I'm only a part-time snob with my coffee, though. I treat myself to the good stuff on weekends, and on weekdays it's store-brand k-cups. But it just makes the weekend coffee all the better.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
My daily take is one bar espresso at morning + 1 or 2 nespresso classics.

I know people tend to hate it, but some pods are ok/nice and the convenience is to die for.

Kev Kev

love coffee. i drink the store brand, regular strength, black. 2 cups in the morning, usually nother two in the afternoon, sometimes more. i even got tot he point where i will drink decaff at night. its really comforting and helps me not think about being hungry lol. sometimes i will straight replace a meal with a cup of coffee. probably not healthy tho

UnNamed

Banned
It just depends if you know how to manage your ratios. I have a 4-6 "shot" pot and I know how much coffee to add if I just want one "long" coffee. Or I have a smaller pot and I know how much coffee/water to add to make an espresso or latte etc.
Yes, true, but you know, since here in Italy we had gazillion types of coffee, for many here a ristretto is the real coffee, so a filled cup is already a long coffee, or you can have it in a little glass which is even diluted and so on.

Aesius

I drink about 2 cups of dark roast French Press coffee with a splash of half and half in the mornings. Used to drink more in the afternoon but it messed with my sleep. Good coffee is absolutely amazing and rivaled only by a good stout/porter.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Nespresso is alright. My main grip with it is the waste it generates and the cost. I also avoid Nestle at all costs.

Generally speaking in all walks of life, convenience costs more.

But yeah I totally get why people avoid Nestle. But man it’s so liberating not worrying about grinder, extraction, wiccan rituals with your v60, filters, etc.

And admittedly I am a pseudo hobbyist in that I care about flavor, acidity and I am aware I am getting less of that with Nespresso since classic pods are all laced with more or less robusta and trend towards darker roasts. But my life is busy as it is to have to perform “the coffee ritual” everytime I fancy a cup.

Last edited:

DarkestHour

Banned
I use an Aero Press and usually get beans from Costco or Samsclub - they have 2lbs of beans for no more than $15.
Their "Kirkland" or "Members Mark" in house beans are actually pretty good. I cant remember but Costco or Samsclub's have their beans roasted by Starbucks, I think....

Costco does for sure. I typically order beans from a roaster but also get the beans from Costco too. It's just too good of a deal even if the beans aren't fresh.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I buy roasted whole beans and ground them for cold brew. I'll usually have it black, with no sugar once or twice a day. I'll have an espresso if I'm traveling and don't have time to make cold brew.

My grandmother used to buy raw coffee beans and roast them, it would make the house smell so good.

Top Bottom