• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty of Kinda Funny: source says "most developers are not happy with PS4.5"

And so, how does the PS4K existing or not... lose them money on the PS4 in such a scenario? Die shrinks are common and usually come with the release of a slim... which is, also, usually lower in price.

Yes but the question would be if the die shrink can cover the price drop and allow more profit .
If this about making money off the hardware won't a normal gen of 5 years be more profitable .
This gen Sony has only drop the PS4 price by $50 bucks other than special times in 2 plus years .

BONKERS

I want to say. Boo hoo your kajiggers, you have to actually put in extra work to make sure it doesn't run like horse shit on the Neo too?

But they will find ways to continue to make games run bad no matter what. They always do.
The sheer hubris of Sony is unmatched. They were in this position before with the ps2, then came the ps3 and they lost to the 360. Now they had a huge success with the ps4 by using the same strategy of the 360, and they are desperately trying to fuck things up yet again by making their hardware harder to develop for? What? What the what?

What? It's harder to develop for because it's the same shit but with more horse power? There's a reason why it's made with drop-in compatibility and why it will continue to be compatible with the base model.

The leaked requirements state only a minimum of rendering at 1080p.
There's nothing to stop developers from just letting the same code run faster if they are all whiny and don't want to do extra work. (Or publishers don't want to pay for extra work. But considering how many games launch in a laughable state..)
I mean, has no one making games for these ever not developed for PC with a big company where they have to take into account 6 kajillion hardware and software configurations?

Honestly, the specs of this thing sounds like what the PS4 should've been to begin with. Not that it will get them native 4k rendering. But 1080p minimum and hopefully (Probably not) stable framerates at that?

I'll take a drop in replacement like Neo ever 3-5 years with the 3rd oldest being phased out of compatibility. Over 5-10 years of obsolete and poor performing crap that isn't guaranteed to maintain compatibility.

Chobel

You can add scoops to an ice cream you've already bought ("Your ice cream is bigger than mine!"). Or sprinkles ("Your ice cream has sprinkles!"). And then you can eat it. It is also a perishable good that is consumed.

I cannot add "scoops" to a piece of hardware. Unless it the N64, or someone finds a way for me to download more RAM!

That's your issue? Seriously? You're taking this way too literally and missing the whole point. The point is you bought something that's actually good, some time later another better thing is offered for sale but somehow the thing you bought now is fucking shit and you want this better new thing not to be sold so you can feel better about your thing.

I could have slightly changed the analogy to ice cream with different flavors, but I'm sure you'll find a way to twist it too.

thelastword

Banned
whats interesting is in his example, the guy who bought a PS4 4 months ago, isnt going to buy a PS5 till around Nov 2020 anyway.
No, his point was that a guy who just bought a PS4 would feel slighted that's there's better hardware coming in a couple of months in the Neo, as if that guy's PS4 will cease to exist or be functional for the purpose for which he bought it. In essence, Neo would be like the fabled Y2K, everything would go into chaos, prior functions would cease to exist.

BONKERS

That's your issue? Seriously? You're taking this way too literally and missing the whole point. The point is you bought something that's actually good, some time later another better thing is offered for sale but somehow the thing you bought now is fucking shit and you want this better new thing not to be sold so you can feel better about your thing.

I could have slightly changed the analogy to ice cream with different flavors, but I'm sure you'll find a way to twist it too.

Exactly.
No, his point was that a guy who just bought a PS4 would feel slighted that's there's better hardware coming in a couple of months in the Neo, as if that guy's PS4 will cease to exist or be functional for the purpose for which he bought it. In essence, Neo would be like the fabled Y2K, everything would go into chaos, prior functions would cease to exist.

That's the risk you take when you buy something. Don't get butthurt because time keeps clocking along and waits for NO ONE.

Nothing can stop Sony from some kind of step up plan or simply sell yours second hand for a loss.

Vena

Yes but the question would be if the die shrink can cover the price drop and allow more profit .
If this about making money off the hardware won't a normal gen of 5 years be more profitable .
This gen Sony has only drop the PS4 price by $50 bucks other than special times .

You need to consider software bundles. They are a loss as well.

Oh no I know the underlying point. I specifically don't like the analogy used.

You need to consider software bundles. They are a loss as well.

Yes but Sony can also use first party software to help with that .
For eg GT come out this year xmas (yes i know lol ) or UC4 later on .
And if PS4k gets bundle software it now has the same problem .

Vena

Yes but Sony can also use first party software to help with that .
For eg GT come out this year xmas (yes i know lol ) or UC4 later on .

Sure, its still money they are not seeing from their consumer. Bundles are, effectively, the new price cut. With price cuts being... well a price cut too. Value per sale for Sony was depreciating in more ways than just a dropping price tag and that was a steady and constant march, as it has always been. Its just taken a new form.

The new model lets them reset the price with a new offer.

Who says PS4K won't come with bundled software? And who says the new Slim PS4 will bundled with some software?

No one? Nor do I have any idea why you're bringing in the Slim... as that works further in detriment to gundam's point of longterm profitability being higher than without the PS4K existing.

One thing that is certain, though, is that without the PS4K they certainly weren't going to get a bunch of old consumers to shell out 400$ again.

Sure, its still money they are not seeing from their consumer. Bundles are, effectively, the new price cut. With price cuts being... well a price cut too.

Not really because it's not for certain they were going to buy the bundles software if it was not bundle.
The use it to make the system more attractive , take the UCC bundles last year .
It sold over 1 million do really think it would have sold any where near that in the USA without the bundle.

This.

Vena

Not really because it's not for certain they were going to buy the bundles software if it was not bundle.
The use it to make the system more attractive , take the UCC bundles last year .
It sold over 1 million do really think it would have sold any where near that in the USA without the bundle.

You usually bundle software you'd think people will want, high on some probability curve...

... or Knack.

Chobel

No one? Nor do I have any idea why you're bringing in the Slim... as that works further in detriment to gundam's point of longterm profitability being higher than without the PS4K existing.

One thing that is certain, though, is that without the PS4K they certainly weren't going to get a bunch of old consumers to shell out 400$ again.

I'm bringing the slim (or redesign because I'm not sure how they can get it any slimmer) because Sony will most likely be launching these new two product this year, and there's a good chance it will come without any software bundled.

The next line makes a good point though.

Vena

I'm bringing the slim (or redesign because I'm not sure how they can get it any slimmer) because Sony will most likely be launching these new two product this year, and there's a good chance it will come without any software bundled.

The next line makes a good point though.

That's not unusual given the time of life we're in for these consoles, and I have no reason to disagree with it. I just have no idea what it adds to the original conversation where it came up. :p

Knack was a awesome bundle in japan lol

:D

Blanquito

Guys, that's why they haven't released Knack to PS+. They're waiting for Neo to release and then they'll patch it for Neo and release it for PS+ and say "now our PS+ games will work on ps4 AND Neo!"

It started as a conspiracy in my head, but actually that could be something that they do, now that I think about it

Chobel

That's not unusual given the time of life we're in for these consoles, and I have no reason to disagree with it. I just have no idea what it adds to the original conversation where it came up. :p

I'm just countering the point of PS4K possibly being more profitable because it won't be bundled. There's big chance the new PS4 OG SKU also won't be bundled.

wapplew

In other words:
I used to enjoy ice cream, until I realized that someone out there might have ice cream with sprinkles. Now I hate ice cream and also fuck everyone.
hqdefault.jpg

Nothing wrong with that thinking, outcry never need to be rational.
In fact, Sony need to be careful about people with that thinking, mocking them like this is no different from Mattrick 'We Have A Product For People Who Can't Access The Internet, It's Called Xbox 360'.

People feel betrayed, inferior, second class, all those feeling are real threat, whether that thinking is stupid or not. Just like Xbox one policy, none of that actually implemented, yet Xbox one struggle because of it.

Vena

I'm just countering the point of PS4K possibly being more profitable because it won't be bundled. There's big chance the new PS4 OG SKU also won't be bundled.

Fair point, and I do not disagree with the notion. My bigger focus was the ability to introduce a "luxury product" at a reset or high retail price.

Chobel

Nothing wrong with that thinking, outcry never need to be rational.
In fact, Sony need to be careful about people with that thinking, mocking them like this is no different from Mattrick 'We Have A Product For People Who Can't Access The Internet, It's Called Xbox 360'.

People feel betrayed, inferior, second class, all those feeling are real threat, whether that thinking is stupid or not. Just like Xbox one policy, none of that actually implemented, yet Xbox one struggle because of it.

timmyp53 is not Sony representative, so he can call out what he/she thinks (rightfully so) is an overreaction.

QaaQer

People feel betrayed, inferior, second class, all those feeling are real threat, whether that thinking is stupid or not.

No doubt there are some 'stupid' (passionate is a nicer way of putting it) thinkers, the question is how many are there and can they be reasoned with.

The marketing is going to be fiun to watch.

Lemondish

No, what I don't like is the slippery slope this easily could sink the industry if people buy it. If people buy other companies will follow. When that happens Sony who is already of thinking of getting out making PS5 with the recent Lorne lanning conversation with Shu at DICE summit.

That scares me and iterative console pushes into territory that leads to og PS4 getting phased out. Once they stop making that model in favor of neo being the main model for higher margins it will cause developers to make compromise on certain versions if games regardless of mandates set by the platform holder.

I apologize about the bad ice cream analogy but I'm getting tired of dismissive attitudes ice cream guy included. You talk in absolute s which doesn't help the discussion regardless of talking to developers on a podcast.

Seeing Jeff , ign, Colin talk about this shaky approach is valid.

Right now you or I don't know more than the other in how the industry will react and how it will change going forward.

I hope you realize slippery slope arguments are logical fallacies and have no place in rational discourse.

Until you can provide supporting evidence that these things you fear ARE happening, then they're just unfounded fears with no legitimacy.

Papacheeks

Banned
I hope you realize slippery slope arguments are logical fallacies and have no place in rational discourse.

Until you can provide supporting evidence that these things you fear ARE happening, then they're just unfounded fears with no legitimacy.

So the gaming days of the 90's and the n3ds issue don't support that theory? Third party games like just cause, and fallout with game bugs and awful frame rates won't still be present once neo is released on OG ps4?

So Jeff getzman among others who have been following this industry that share my sentiment as seen on the lobby video and on giantbombcast. Are all talking out their ass or maybe because they know the industry very well they are using their knowledge for their theories. History has shown what happens when U introduce multiple hardware in shorter spans of time. NEC, SEGA, 3DO all did it and they stopped existing after it.

These are valid examples regardless how old. If ps4 neo comes out and it's just used as a bridge for vr/4k followed by PS5. Then it will succeed without drastically changing cycles.

If we start seeing iterative consoles every 3 years following this, that's where it gets dicey IMHO.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
My point is something like that would split the userbase less because they wouldn't be focusing on two sets of hardware on a closed platform, that is a recipe for disaster.

At least with a new console people would be having the same experience and developers would be focusing on one set of hardware.

I understand people are reluctant to upgrade but tech moves fast and gone are the days of 10 year console spans imo.

$500 or £400 every 4-5 years isn't really asking a lot is it? When you have people buying phones for $800 a pop every 12 months and most people buying new tech every 6-8 months on average it seems more sensible to just give consoles shorter life spans and increase the hardware faster.

Everyone is fine during the PS3/PS4 transitional period (where the devs focus on 2 consoles for like 2 years). I don't see how this will be anything so devastating, especially when the stage is going to be much smoother and smaller. Its only the mentality of PS4's fans at work here.

Everyone is fine during the PS3/PS4 transitional period (where the devs focus on 2 consoles for like 2 years). I don't see how this will be anything so devastating, especially when the stage is going to be much smoother and smaller. Its only the mentality of PS4's fans at work here.

People keep mentioning this but it's not the same scenario. The transition was often farmed off to other dev teams so the same dev team wasn't working on the PS3 and the PS4 version.

We already had an Elite/Pro edition sku exist along side an Arcade edition sku most of last generation without the gaming public rioting in the streets. To me, the PS4k is just an evolution of that existing console trend, a trend that the masses largely accepted last generation.

c0de

We already had an Elite/Pro edition sku exist along side an Arcade edition sku most of last generation without the gaming public rioting in the streets. To me, the PS4k is just an evolution of that existing console trend, a trend that the masses largely accepted last generation.

A pro edition from last gen has nothing to do with what the ps4k will be.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
People keep mentioning this but it's not the same scenario. The transition was often farmed off to other dev teams so the same dev team wasn't working on the PS3 and the PS4 version.

That doesn't really change the point. In fact, it supports the point.

Having more dynamic transitions means potentially lesser money to be spend on making a game across various machines, due to lesser manpower needed. Rather than hiring a port studio for help, they can just expand/create a small internal team for the work now, due to lesser compatibility/transitional issues.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Apologies if this is known or has been discussed at length, but is there anything stopping devs from making the Neo mode identical to the Base mode? If for example they were unhappy and didn't want to spend the time and resources optimizing for the PS4K, could they just target the base model and, since they're still required to include a Neo mode, just make that identical?

Papacheeks

Banned
Apologies if this is known or has been discussed at length, but is there anything stopping devs from making the Neo mode identical to the Base mode? If for example they were unhappy and didn't want to spend the time and resources optimizing for the PS4K, could they just target the base model and, since they're still required to include a Neo mode, just make that identical?

Yes, according to the original document there are prerequisites for using neo mode. It has to equal or exceed OG PS4 frame rate.

"Sony repeatedly reminds developers that the frame rate of games in NEO Mode must meet or exceed the frame rate of the game on the original PS4 system."

Article

onanie

They are allowed to. The only thing is the Neo version needs to have at least the same or better framerate than base ps4 version

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Sony now says my ice cream isn't made with real 100% dairy milk, if I want the true authentic ice cream experience with real dairy milk I need to pay more.

Oh, down the road using 100% real vanilla extract is exclusive to the "True" ice cream experience. Anyone who doesn't pay for this get's shitty fake tasting vanilla ice cream.

Is that better?

Omg I'm dying of laughter. The true ice cream experience.

I haven't read the whole thread, but this is gold. What is going on.

Edit: I see....

wapplew

The point.

No, seriously.

That's the point.

So what if the PS4k replaces the PS4? Your PS4 will still play all the new games.

Guess what? Do you want new tech every few years? Then buy new tech every few years.

Do you want generations again? Then skip an iteration, you'll be fine.

That's the point. Giving people the option to upgrade sooner, carry their catalogs, still play all the new stuff if they don't jump in.

How is an option you aren't forced to buy a bad thing? Don't buy it and wait for the next one. You'll still be playing all the new stuff on PS4 just fine.

More option is cool as long as it doesn't mess with my option to get first party exclusive titles.
If first party force to support 2 iterations or more at anytime, then we have a problem.

The point.

No, seriously.

That's the point.

So what if the PS4k replaces the PS4? Your PS4 will still play all the new games.

Guess what? Do you want new tech every few years? Then buy new tech every few years.

That's the point. Giving people the option to upgrade sooner, carry their catalogs, still play all the new stuff if they don't jump in.

How is an option you aren't forced to buy a bad thing? Don't buy it and wait for the next one. You'll still be playing all the new stuff on PS4 just fine.
Wonderful post.

Applecot

It's be shocking to see people this salty after the release of a new graphics card, I can't see why the same should be true for the new PS4.

nib95

Banned
The point.

No, seriously.

That's the point.

Not as simple as that, because whether PS4 owners choose to invest in the PS4K or not, they're still potentially being adversely affected. Firstly, it's not like developers can just click their fingers to ready an upgraded PS4K version, at the end of the day, the additional development time, money, resources, people and testing spent on the improved PS4K version, means less development time, money, resources, people and testing on the PS4 version, either that or a longer development cycle.

Add to that the PS4K literally devalues the PS4, as in, the moment the PS4K is out, chances are the trade in value, resale value etc of the PS4 will diminish as it's automatically relegated to being the inferior model.

Then there's a bunch of stuff that remains to be seen. Eg, will PS4 versions of games in future get less attention or be worse now that development time and budget is being split between the two consoles? Then there's the question of whether the PS4K will inadvertently extend the length of the generation. Whether it's success will mean other manufacturers follow suit, and multiplatform devs are left with even more platforms to consider, with even more fragmentation. And so on.

It's not quite as simplistic as you're making out. There's countless ramifications and potential issues.

RibMan

I'm not sure there's a development team out there that would be so unhappy with having to support a higher resolution/more effects that they would risk souring relationships with both Sony and their fans. Nobody wins in this scenario.

Remember -- developers and publishers aren't charitable organizations. They make stuff so they can make money so they can make more stuff so they can make more money etc. If a developer/publisher is legitimately out of resources (time, money, or talent) for optimizing their game then common sense says their best course of action is to seek additional resources and assistance -- possibly from the console maker. I just can't imagine a conversation where Sony is contacted by devs/pubs for help with Neo mode and Sony says "No can do". Unless of course the devs or pubs are asking for a year long delay, millions of dollars, or hundreds of extra programmers. In which case, the devs/pubs probably have much much bigger concerns than getting their game running with better features.

I've been looking at Twitter for developer reactions to the PS4 Neo. I think Colin should seek further clarification from his source. Perhaps some devs could be unhappy with the Neo, which is what led to the leak? The more I think about it, didn't OsirisBlack post a list of PS4N optimized games that included third-party titles from Capcom, Crytek, and CCP games?

Cost per mm2 of 14nm is much higher than 28nm.

Edit: At this time. So expect a 14nm regular slim version 2017 as more lines ramp up production.

Yeah, but the size is dramatically smaller and since it uses a lot less power they also save on cooling and the power source. And since the costs of 14nm will continue to fall you'll just save even more as time passes.

Lady Gaia

Developers could certainly run the exact same code in both Base and Neo modes so long as you're rendering at 1080p natively which is required for Neo certification, but that doesn't mean they'd behave identically. When running in Neo mode at higher clock speeds with more compute units and more available bandwidth tasks will be completed in less time. If you have a vaguely modern game design that will generally be a benefit rather than a problem. Frame rates will improve, or with a capped frame rate drops would be less frequent or eliminated altogether. Obscure bugs resulting from subtle timing changes could cause problems in Neo mode but those will often be issues that could crop up under different circumstances even in Base mode.

In many cases it wouldn't take a lot of effort to go further. Adjusting draw distances or level-of-detail transition points for models wouldn't take a lot of work. Nor would using higher resolution render targets, or bumping up the number of lighting sources illuminating a given part of the scene, or any number of other constants that can be tweaked without substantially altering the design or implementation of a title.

So developers have a ton of leeway in how they approach the opportunity. What they don't have is the option to release a new title that runs at the old speeds that the console is presumably capable of for legacy title support. According to everything we've seen a developer must have submit a title for certification that will pass testing in both modes starting in October, and September titles must have a day-one patch to meet the same goal.

Did Colin literally have a meltdown over this? That was waaaaaaay to emotional for me to listen to. I listen to podcasts at work and had to stop and just think about the tone of this. What the hell. I like Greg and Colin a lot but this was absurd.

Sorry rant.

I think some people are blowing this way over the top. Some people comparing this to the drm? I really hope Sony and MS can come out and talk about this better. MS and Phil seem to be taking some steps by being open about it. You think if Sony was doing the same this be a bit different?

I'd rather see a console industry that evolves with the rest of the tech industry rather than be stuck in the past for god knows how long. I am all for upgrades as long as they are clear about how long the system I bought get supported.

GHG

Not as simple as that, because whether PS4 owners choose to invest in the PS4K or not, they're still potentially being adversely affected. Firstly, it's not like developers can just click their fingers to ready an upgraded PS4K version, at the end of the day, the additional development time, money, resources, people and testing spent on the improved PS4K version, means less development time, money, resources, people and testing on the PS4 version, either that or a longer development cycle.

Add to that the PS4K literally devalues the PS4, as in, the moment the PS4K is out, chances are the trade in value, resale value etc of the PS4 will diminish as it's automatically relegated to being the inferior model.

Then there's a bunch of stuff that remains to be seen. Eg, will PS4 versions of games in future get less attention or be worse now that development time and budget is being split between the two consoles? Then there's the question of whether the PS4K will inadvertently extend the length of the generation. Whether it's success will mean other manufacturers follow suit, and multiplatform devs are left with even more platforms to consider, with even more fragmentation. And so on.

It's not quite as simplistic as you're making out. There's countless ramifications and potential issues.

Seriously dude, what the hell? You keep making this huge assumption, why? You say it's not simplistic and then you post that?

Firstly the ps4 and ps4k are going to be running on the same OS. What that means is that developers will not necessarily have to code 2 entirely different versions for the 2 SKU's but rather it will be a single version with device detect running. Once the software has determined whether you are running the game on a regular ps4 or the ps4k it will then select the appropriate configuration which have been pre-determined by the developer. This "extra work" you speak of is likely to only come into play at the optimisation stage of development. This is how it works in PC development and iOS/android development. To get the extra optimisation work done they might employ a few more people or outsource it. The complexity of this largely depends on how Sony handle things in their SDK. It doesn't need to change how things are done earlier on in the development pipeline as assets are generally created in much higher quality than necessary and in most cases there will also be a PC version in existence which will be able to take advantage of the higher quality models/textures/environments anyway.

Now of course, some developers might want to go the extra mile and do something special (limited to visuals) for the ps4k version but if this is the case they would be wise to build/create a small team to do so. It does not necessarily mean that they will pull people away from the regular ps4 version in order to achieve this, they might get some people in on a contract basis or even outsource this portion of the work. This commonly happens when developers want to do an extra SKU of a game they are making but do not have the in-house capabilities or resources in order to do so. Again, this commonly happens with PC ports of console focused games or even last gen ports of the game is cross gen.

It will be a similar story for Microsoft due to them having developed UWP for this very purpose. The only debate around UWP at the moment is whether it's a model that is also suited to the PC environment which is something they are attempting to force at the moment. For console/mobile applications it's perfectly fine however.

Based on your agruement we should all be pushing for every single game in existence to be exclusive to ensure no resourses are wasted in making multiple versions of the same game. The reality is that it's down to the publisher to sort these things out and generally speaking they ensure these things are well organised and well thought out.

If an entirely new manufacturer (say valve for example) were to enter the industry with a new console would you be saying the same things? Would you be "concerned" that all the development resources would then also have to be split across the new console as well or would you trust the publishers to sort things out accordingly so that the PS4 version (or any other pre-existing version for that matter) doesn't suffer as a result?

P.S. If this happens then "generations" will no longer be a thing.

Top Bottom