• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week One: UCLA MEGATHREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl2177

Week 1 Pick 'em results. (+) indicates bonus points earned on total points

Code:
4	mre
7	cashman
3	Frustrated_Grunt
7	Stooge
9	BertramCooper
9	Kenpokesbabrie
6	BTM
7	Lizardking
7	ryseing
7	xeris
5	Ganhyun
6	zyxwvu4321
9	Surge
5	Bucknuticus
8	GoldenEye 007
7	TheLetdown
9	Lonestar
6	Karl2177
8	Affeinvasion
7	AlteredBeast
7	Kawl_USC
8	ErnieMcCracken
9	andycapps
9(+)	Tebunker
9	Battlezone
6	Deacon
7	jfkgoblue
6	perfectchaos007
8	timetokill
8	jstevenson
8	whytemyke
6	KingBrave1
7	ag
6	Chris R
6	Googly Eyes Dog
11(+)	Mac the KNife
8	bpfd
8	Jhriad
7	felixorion
7	MrJames
9	Subitai
7	Dsyndrome
8	Yaboosh
9	sf2fanatic
6	Quake1028
7	Chicko1983
5	OceanicAir
8	FloydtheFathead
7	Monroeski
10(+)	Garryk

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Code:
4	mre
7	cashman
3	Frustrated_Grunt
7	Stooge
9	BertramCooper
9	Kenpokesbabrie
6	BTM
7	Lizardking
7	ryseing
7	xeris
5	Ganhyun
6	zyxwvu4321
9	Surge
5	Bucknuticus
8	GoldenEye 007
7	TheLetdown
9	Lonestar
6	Karl2177
8	Affeinvasion
7	AlteredBeast
7	Kawl_USC
8	ErnieMcCracken
9	andycapps
9(+)	Tebunker
9	Battlezone
6	Deacon
7	jfkgoblue
6	perfectchaos007
8	timetokill
8	jstevenson
8	whytemyke
6	KingBrave1
7	ag
6	Chris R
6	Googly Eyes Dog
11(+)	Mac the KNife
8	bpfd
8	Jhriad
7	felixorion
7	MrJames
9	Subitai
7	Dsyndrome
8	Yaboosh
9	sf2fanatic
6	Quake1028
7	Chicko1983
5	OceanicAir
8	FloydtheFathead
7	Monroeski
10(+)	Garryk

I think frustrated and mre thought they were supposed to be picking the losers.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
SEC is overrated as hell

But win a few key non-conference games, get everyone into the Top 25, and only lose to each other to just move the rating points around, and it happens.

Bama is totally legit though.

jfkgoblue

SEC is overrated as hell

But win a few key non-conference games, get everyone into the Top 25, and only lose to each other to just move the rating points around, and it happens.

Bama is totally legit though.

Thank GOD that that is almost definitely over now, the SEC may be the worst P5 this year excluding Bama

kinda like the B10 in previous years that it was regarded as terrible save OSU.

Meier

High five!

Good two days for you.
No kidding. I actually missed the final play of the Horns game because I had a late flight back (8:45 PST) and we were getting ready to take off. Fortunately the dude two seats over kept his phone on after they told us to shut it down so I saw it go 50-47 on his screen.

Pre

Jimbo is world-class at making adjustments at halftime, but Florida State must come out of the gate playing like they did in the second half if they want to compete this season. I don't think my heart can handle a replay of the 2014 season's nonstop comebacks.

And the penalties have to stop. Might as well call ourselves "False Start University" at this point. I don't have confidence in Rick Trickett as the OL coach.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Thank GOD that that is almost definitely over now, the SEC may be the worst P5 this year excluding Bama

I think the SEC still has the edge on the PAC12. They won shit this week.

Karl2177

Also, I'll try and get that formatted better for next week. It's supposed to be alphabetic, but it was dissociating the names with their record, so I'll have to dive in and see where my code is messed up. Should have next week's games up tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Code:
4	mre
7	cashman
3	Frustrated_Grunt
7	Stooge
9	BertramCooper
9	Kenpokesbabrie
6	BTM
7	Lizardking
7	ryseing
7	xeris
5	Ganhyun
6	zyxwvu4321
9	Surge
5	Bucknuticus
8	GoldenEye 007
7	TheLetdown
9	Lonestar
6	Karl2177
8	Affeinvasion
7	AlteredBeast
7	Kawl_USC
8	ErnieMcCracken
9	andycapps
9(+)	Tebunker
9	Battlezone
6	Deacon
7	jfkgoblue
6	perfectchaos007
8	timetokill
8	jstevenson
8	whytemyke
6	KingBrave1
7	ag
6	Chris R
6	Googly Eyes Dog
11(+)	Mac the KNife
8	bpfd
8	Jhriad
7	felixorion
7	MrJames
9	Subitai
7	Dsyndrome
8	Yaboosh
9	sf2fanatic
6	Quake1028
7	Chicko1983
5	OceanicAir
8	FloydtheFathead
7	Monroeski
10(+)	Garryk
lol looks like a lot of people picked Houston. Nice!!!

andycapps

3 teams with top 25 wins after week 1. Pretty embarrassing after that, but the most the other conferences have is 1. Big 12 and Pac 12 with 0 after week 1.

Jerm411

Nick Chubb and Jacob Eason....I love you both...that is all lol.

Nah seriously though really nice and refreshing to see the Dawgs face some adversity and actually battle back and overcome as opposed to rolling over like they would've last year or the year before.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I hate conference talk. Let teams win and lose on their own merit.

LSU shit the bed. UGA didn't.

UCLA sucked. Houston brought it.

Fuck the notion of conference power.

Code:
4	mre
7	cashman
3	Frustrated_Grunt
7	Stooge
9	BertramCooper
9	Kenpokesbabrie
6	BTM
7	Lizardking
7	ryseing
7	xeris
5	Ganhyun
6	zyxwvu4321
9	Surge
5	Bucknuticus
8	GoldenEye 007
7	TheLetdown
9	Lonestar
6	Karl2177
8	Affeinvasion
7	AlteredBeast
7	Kawl_USC
8	ErnieMcCracken
9	andycapps
9(+)	Tebunker
9	Battlezone
6	Deacon
7	jfkgoblue
6	perfectchaos007
8	timetokill
8	jstevenson
8	whytemyke
6	KingBrave1
7	ag
6	Chris R
6	Googly Eyes Dog
11(+)	Mac the KNife
8	bpfd
8	Jhriad
7	felixorion
7	MrJames
9	Subitai
7	Dsyndrome
8	Yaboosh
9	sf2fanatic
6	Quake1028
7	Chicko1983
5	OceanicAir
8	FloydtheFathead
7	Monroeski
10(+)	Garryk

AWW SHIT

jfkgoblue

The ONLY reason we are talking conference power is because we are all sick of the SEC circles jerk that we had to deal with for the past decade

Vanillalite

That sounds very boring.

It's not though. I mean you can still shit talk teams especially your rivals. It just takes conference out of it.

In some ways it's easier to shit talk as you can kill certain teams without fear of well yeah but our conference pwns yours being thrown back at ya.

I love week 1 aftermath knee-jerk reactions. Take whatever week 1 tells you, and be sure more than half the time you are wrong. The only thing I would bet money on is Bama is going to be really good as always. I am not banking on 'Texas is back' or 'SEC Sucks' or anything else right now. I've been burned way too many times. Let's see if these hold out come January 2017 (all I heard was the SEC was down in 2015, and they ended up dominating the bowl games).

andycapps

Texas beat Notre Dame, they we're ranked 10th
Ah true, was looking at ranked vs ranked wins but getting that win over ND definitely counts.

I don't really care about "my conference can beat up your conference", was just stating what's happened thus far. Think the adage of you're never as bad as you think, or as good as you think probably applies to conferences as well.

Lmao, is this a serious post?

The Big 10 is probably the worst conference in the country, and they refuse to play OOC ranked teams.

Ohio State opened with... who?
Michigan with...?
Michigan State with...?

Do any of them actually have a respectable strength of schedule?

Props to the SEC, ACC and Big 12 for playing each other's big boys early and often.

No idea what the PAC-12 does, they play either too late for meor not on TV, most of the time, sadly.

tl;dr - SEC had a rough week, but it's a marathon, not a sprint. No preseason in CFB and they (except Miss St LOL) played some big games out of the gate.

Quake1028

I just saw and remembered that we get the Jerry World game in 2 years against LSU. Next year is Florida vs. Michigan. Also, for some odd reason, we don't get our home game back from App State until 2021.

Lmao, is this a serious post?

The Big 10 is probably the worst conference in the country, and they refuse to play OOC ranked teams.

Ohio State opened with... who?

Do any of them actually have a respectable strength of schedule?

Props to the SEC, ACC and Big 12 for playing each other's big boys early and often.

No idea what the PAC-12 does, they play either too late for meor not on TV, most of the time, sadly.

tl;dr - SEC had a rough week, but it's a marathon, not a sprint. No preseason in CFB and they (except Miss St LOL) played some big games out of the gate.

You didnt bother to look at OSU's schedule this year or future scheduled huh?

andycapps

I just saw and remembered that we get the Jerry World game in 2 years against LSU. Next year is Florida vs. Michigan. Also, for some odd reason, we don't get our home game back from App State until 2021.
Still crazy to me that Miami scheduled a home and home with App State.

Sephzilla

LSU got straight up beat. Wisconsin shit the bed in the third quarter of that game, they were just lucky to get the sheets changed before anyone walked in and noticed.

jjasper

I love week 1 aftermath knee-jerk reactions. Take whatever week 1 tells you, and be sure more than half the time you are wrong. The only thing I would bet money on is Bama is going to be really good as always. I am not banking on 'Texas is back' or 'SEC Sucks' or anything else right now. I've been burned way too many times. Let's see if these hold out come January 2017 (all I heard was the SEC was down in 2015, and they ended up dominating the bowl games).

In an era of hot takes. College football's hot takes are the hottest of them all.

Vanillalite

Speaking of hot take masters...

screenshot_2016-09-0690xpq.png

The ONLY reason we are talking conference power is because we are all sick of the SEC circles jerk that we had to deal with for the past decade
I'm an FSU fan, but it's pretty obvious why there is so much talk about the SEC.

When one conference wins 10 of the last 18 national championships, and the runners-up conferences each have 2... That's pretty freaking incredible, IMO. Hoping the ACC can make a run like that sometime.

Piggus

Ducks are gonna have a rough year if we're giving up so many passing yards to a team like UC Davis. That was one of my concerns with Hoke's changes since our secondary was already awful last year.

But we'll see. Prukop has potential if he'll settle in.

andycapps

Remaining SOS rank - OSU 18th, Bama 27, Clemson 53, Gawja 46
Why take out the first week? That removes one of our P5 matchups, as well as a ranked win. With the whole schedule taken into account, I see UGA at 21 and MCU at 54. I mean, I see why you'd take out the first week, it helps prove a point. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom