• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 1: "What I learned this summer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

I Push Fat Kids said:
I'm only going by stats/recap but that makes sense. The thing that stood out to me was the yardage gained. At least you guys won (unlike OSU, lol).

Yeah, I'm glad we pulled it out, we haven't been 1-0 since Jake's first start so I'll take it however we can get it.

Interesting on the d-line front. How are your linebackers? Decent right or didn't they lose someone quite good? How's the o-line?

Our MLB, Dennison, is good, but we lost both our OLBs to graduation/NFL, who were just as good (if not better). Mason Foster was our leading tackler and Aiyewa had like 20+ tackles for loss, and we have to replace that with inexperienced players. O-line is also young overall but they are talented and have a senior leader at LT.

Arizona is a bit concerning but their o-line is 5 new starters (which doesn't bode well against OSU this week).

If we can take advantage of that and get pressure on Foles we can win. Sark said a lot of our defensive players were playing tentatively and weren't going full speed because they were thinking too much, so we should be better once we sort that out.

Do you guys plays Stanford at home?

Nope, but I don't think it would matter. They'll probably beat us pretty handily.

I have a feeling we're going to be more pass happy this year if only to exploit our speed more. O

Perhaps, I could see more dinking and dunking than throwing downfield, though. No offense to him but Thomas doesn't scare me as a passer. The problem is when he gets out in the open and makes you choose between stopping him from running or covering your guy.

Gloomfire said:
BUCKNUTICUS

You coming down for Miami v. OSU?

Not this year, was going to but then when the shit went down I changed plans. Actually heading to Nebraska this year for that game, although I saw some crazy cheap tix for the miami game, but airfare is stupid expensive right now. :/

Quake1028

bucknuticus said:
Not this year, was going to but then when the shit went down I changed plans. Actually heading to Nebraska this year for that game, although I saw some crazy cheap tix for the miami game, but airfare is stupid expensive right now. :/

Ah well. Would have been fun to meet up if you were going to be there. Should be a good game.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So this suspension may have been one of the worst things to happen to Harris, he may be out a job from now on.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
truly101 said:
So this suspension may have been one of the worst things to happen to Harris, he may be out a job from now on.

He sure as hell should be out of a job. At least until he gets picked up in the first round by the Raiders.

PBY

Banned
truly101 said:
Harris was getting beat out for playing time by morris at the end of last year too, this isn't a new thing to be honest.

PBY

Banned
truly101 said:
You realize UM plays in the ACC. Even we won 5 games two years ago, any team with a competent coach can do more.
so true... i love the hype train that starts out every year before duke football "THIS IS THE YEAR WE GO TO A BOWL".

clav

JaskoX1 said:
I think this is the Under Armour designer responsible for the Maryland uniforms.

cuive.gif

Cyan said:
It was a good time. But man, that was one sloppy game. Terrible special teams, even for us, running game never got going, WRs had some serious stone hands, offense as a whole had far too many penalties, and Maynard's first pass was a pick inside our 10-yd line. On the plus side, the D was rock solid, Maynard was mostly good after a shaky start, and, well, we won! I'll take it.
On the whole, it went better than I thought it would. Very pleased with the defense thus far, and good to see so many young players get reps. Nice that Maynard shook off the early problems and put together a decent game after that. The penalties were concerning. It's going to be a very up and down season for Cal, but I'm a little more positive after Saturday's game.
Cyan said:
I believe the technical term is "crap." Running game is not gonna be good. People had concerns about Sofele, and so far it doesn't look like they're wrong. Looks like year after year of top-notch tailbacks might end here.
He didn't look good, but I'm not sure how much of that was on the offensive line for not giving him a lot to work with.

Kevtones

cdyhybrid said:

Hmmm. Mason Foster is who I was thinking of. You guys have some speed but I think the key to stopping is in the ends/linebackers. However, Thomas hasn't been implementing the read option as an option as of late so it doesn't matter.

I think he's going to loosen up this week and throw better. He's probably the most unsung first-year-starter/sophomore to lead his team to MNC in recent memory.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Gloomfire said:
You really think a team with all this talent would win 5 games and actually regress from last year, especially when most of the suspensions were 1 game?

Looking at your schedule?

Yes, I think 5 wins is about right.

KevinRo

truly101 said:
Knowing them, probably homophobic slurs....or that just may be for us.

Yeah, how about no. I've gone to basketball and football games even against duke. The worst we've said is fuck duke. Compared to te racial slurs you guys yelled at Vasquez that's nothing.

PBY

Banned
KevinRo said:
Yeah, how about no. I've gone to basketball and football games even against duke. The worst we've said is fuck duke. Compared to te racial slurs you guys yelled at Vasquez that's nothing.
Lol I've been to games too dude, and your fans are pretty bad b/ the slurs. I am biased though.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Gloomfire said:
Needless to say I disagree completely. The schedule isn't that brutal.

It doesn't have to be brutal for you guys to only win 5 games.

I think you lose tonight, and think you win against Kansas State, Bethune Cookman, Virginia, Duke and Boston College.

None of the other games are out of reach, sure, and you will probably win at least one of them (hope it isn't against my Noles!), but I think you could also lose to KState, Duke or Boston College as well.

But it all depends on how the team morale stands up throughout the season.

PBY

Banned
Yaboosh said:

I think you lose tonight, and think you win against Kansas State, Bethune Cookman, Virginia, Duke and Boston College.

None of the other games are out of reach, sure, and you will probably win at least one of them (hope it isn't against my Noles!), but I think you could also lose to KState, Duke or Boston College as well.

I went to Duke... and I'd bet every cent I have that we beat Duke.

Quake1028

Yaboosh said:

Ahh a Semenhole fan. Explains it all ;). Anyways, I don't see this team regressing from 7-6 with Golden as the coach and most guys coming back for the next game.

PBY

Banned
Gloomfire said:
Ahh a Semenhole fan. Explains it all ;). Anyways, I don't see this team regressing from 7-6 with Golden as the coach and most guys coming back for the next game.
He would be a Noles fan.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
peterb0y said:
He would be a Noles fan.

Who do you think you beat other than the obvious 5 I stated? Anybody in particular or are you assuming you will just pick up a handful of them? Maybe GTech, maybe FSU (due to the rivalry), I guess UNC isn't good this year.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
KevinRo said:

Bullshit, your fans have thrown shit, spit on our players, called them faggots, dont even try to act otherwise. Those "ethnic slurs" we yelled at Greivis was nuestra casa, after he said in an interview that he felt he owned Duke at Cameron. He even owned up to it after his last game. Wow what a slur. Next you'll try that infamous lie that the crazies called Juan Dixon a crack baby, even though HE said in an interview it was the fans at John Paul Jones, not Cameron. Try again.

http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol5no06dixon.html

PBY

Banned
Yaboosh said:
Who do you think you beat other than the obvious 5 I stated? Anybody in particular or are you assuming you will just pick up a handful of them? Maybe GTech, maybe FSU (due to the rivalry), I guess UNC isn't good this year.
For one, I think we win tonight. I also think we beat GTech, theyre a shadow of what they used to be. UNC will be tough tho, but that already puts us at 7, hugely different than 5. Also, I'm just instinctively contrarian when dealing with seminoles fans.

Quake1028

Yaboosh said:

Up for an avatar bet? 5 wins or less and I wear a Noles avatar until next year kicks off, 6 or more and you wear a Canes one?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Gloomfire said:
Up for an avatar bet? 5 wins or less and I wear a Noles avatar until next year kicks off, 6 or more and you wear a Canes one?

Eh, that is too long term for me to care. We can do one for this game though. If you win I will have a Miami avatar for the week (until the end of play Saturday or something) and if Maryland wins you have an FSU avatar.

But beware, I really don't care if I have a Miami avatar, hah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom