• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 10 - Rudy Can't Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag-my001

I was about to make a post about A&M-Bama being a decent preview of Oregon-Bama, but then I read the Gaborn thread for the first time since post #2.

Damn.

bluemax

Banned
Other than their games against Miami and Navy (both opponents they blew out) ND has either raised their game to the level of the competition or lowered their level to that of the competition. They have raised their game to the level of competition of Stanford and OU, but could they raise their game to Alabamas level? We don't know.

I think a lot of it has to do with NDs QB situation. Tommy Rees is the better passer but has a weaker arm and his confidence is shot. Golson is the better athlete but he keys in too much on that tight end and looks lost when he is double covered.

I'd take McCarron, Klein and Marriota over them in a crucial situation.

ND was missing Golsen for a fair chunk of play and I think their offence is a lot better with him than Rees (or Lees).

That said, Golsen needs to hold the ball for a lot longer and be more patient, like the last couple of scoring plays in the 4th quarter.

He seems to rush the passes and also go for the long throws too much (even though a long throw pretty much set up their win, they missed four or so long throws into the end zone rather than trying to make the 10 yards).

Honest question:

Why is Teddy Bridgewater not a Heisman contender?

He is an undeniably large reason Louisville is in the Top 10 of the BCS, and it would be hard to imagine the team without him.

I know Teddy doesn't have the gaudy numbers like RGIII did, but I think he is more of a MVP for the team than any other contender (save for Klein, and you see how that is going right now). And age isn't really as much an issue since we've had a couple sophomore Heismans in the last couple years...

bluemax

Banned
Honest question:

Why is Teddy Bridgewater not a Heisman contender?

He is an undeniably large reason Louisville is in the Top 10 of the BCS, and it would be hard to imagine the team without him.

I know Teddy doesn't have the gaudy numbers like RGIII did, but I think he is more of a MVP for the team than any other contender (save for Klein, and you see how that is going right now). And age isn't really as much an issue since we've had a couple sophomore Heismans in the last couple years...

No marquee opponents numbers aren't mind blowing.

bjb

Banned
Well put.

I'm just having a hard time separating what RGIII did for Baylor with what Teddy is doing for my Cards.

Most rational people aren't completely biased. RG III is a potential hall of fame - once in a generation talent. Bridgewater is an above average benefactor of a bad conference and weak schedule.

bluemax

Banned
Well put.

I'm just having a hard time separating what RGIII did for Baylor with what Teddy is doing for my Cards.

RG3 was ridiculously efficient and transformed a doormat into a competitive team. He also had the benefit of playing teams with historical cachet like Texas and Oklahoma. He also did it over more than one season so he had name recognition before the year he won it.

andycapps

Great, Georgia just lost senior receiver Marlon Brown to season ending ACL injury. Was a very physical receiver and had been very productive for us. So now we're down 2 big, physical receivers on the year with Bennett going out a few weeks ago. We have a few good receivers but that certainly hurts depth and I expect to see our tight ends to start getting used even more.

Sucks for Marlon Brown. Good kid with a pretty underachieving career to date that had been having a great senior year. The play he got injured on there was some leg tugging going on after the play by an Ole Miss player, but I'm not sure if that was how the injury occurred. With his size and abilities he was finally showing, I was actually thinking he had a shot at the pros.

bluemax

Banned
For comparison:

Passing:
RG3 330 YPG Passing 2.85 TD per game 0.46 INT per game 72.4% completions
Bridgewater 270.4 YPG passing 2 TD per game .44 INT per game 70.4% completions

Rushing
RG3 53.8 YPG .77 TD per game
Bridgewater 8.88 YPG .11 TD per game

RG3 put up over 100 yards more of offense per game than Bridgewater. His team also beat 2 teams ranked in the final polls which is 2 more than Louisville has played so far.

Though I accepted our loss of bowl eligibility ages ago - and I'm actually enjoying it if only for the schadenfreude it has created in the B1G - I am now regretting it because I would have loved the opportunity to beat the shit out of Notre Dame in a BCS bowl.

bjb

Banned
Great, Georgia just lost senior receiver Marlon Brown to season ending ACL injury. Was a very physical receiver and had been very productive for us. So now we're down 2 big, physical receivers on the year with Bennett going out a few weeks ago. We have a few good receivers but that certainly hurts depth and I expect to see our tight ends to start getting used even more.

Sucks for Marlon Brown. Good kid with a pretty underachieving career to date that had been having a great senior year. The play he got injured on there was some leg tugging going on after the play by an Ole Miss player, but I'm not sure if that was how the injury occurred. With his size and abilities he was finally showing, I was actually thinking he had a shot at the pros.

Well fortunately for Georgia - Auburn sucks and Georgia Tech hasn't scared anyone. Backups will suffice until you reach the title game and get crushed by Alabama.

HeySeuss

Though I accepted our loss of bowl eligibility ages ago - and I'm actually enjoying it if only for the schadenfreude it has created in the B1G - I am now regretting it because I would have loved the opportunity to beat the shit out of Notre Dame in a BCS bowl.

You know, I'm completely ok with our bowl ban this year since we're fake good. On the other hand, Notre Dame being an even bigger fraud that will be exposed when they get absolutely decimated in a bcs bowl will be even sweeter. Us not being exposed in a bowl will give us confidence going into next season.

And of we can go undefeated and be fake good, imagine how good we will be when Urban gets the type of players he wants in his system.

bjb

Banned
You know, I'm completely ok with our bowl ban this year since we're fake good. On the other hand, Notre Dame being an even bigger fraud that will be exposed when they get absolutely decimated in a CBS bowl will be even sweeter. Us not being exposed in a bowl will give us confidence going into next season.

And of we can go undefeated and be fake good, imagine how good we will be when Urban gets the type of players he wants in his system.

Good enough to almost beat Purdue at home.

You know, I'm completely ok with our bowl ban this year since we're fake good. On the other hand, Notre Dame being an even bigger fraud that will be exposed when they get absolutely decimated in a CBS bowl will be even sweeter. Us not being exposed in a bowl will give us confidence going into next season.

Yup.

The next few years are going to be fun.

And before you say it, Florida fans, I'll say it for you.

"Until he leaves you hanging."

"Until he has a nervous breakdown and runs your program into the ground."

"Until he retires on you and then unretires a year later and goes somewhere else."

cashman

Banned
Yup.

"Until he retires on you and then unretires a year later and goes somewhere else."

"Until Texas hires him."

Most rational people aren't completely biased. RG III is a potential hall of fame - once in a generation talent. Bridgewater is an above average benefactor of a bad conference and weak schedule.
Well when you put it like that, I don't think anybody is good enough.

Collin Klein: above average benefactor of a schedule full of bad defenses

lol
RG3 was ridiculously efficient and transformed a doormat into a competitive team. He also had the benefit of playing teams with historical cachet like Texas and Oklahoma. He also did it over more than one season so he had name recognition before the year he won it.
OK, this I can believe.
For comparison:

Passing:
RG3 330 YPG Passing 2.85 TD per game 0.46 INT per game 72.4% completions
Bridgewater 270.4 YPG passing 2 TD per game .44 INT per game 70.4% completions

Rushing
RG3 53.8 YPG .77 TD per game
Bridgewater 8.88 YPG .11 TD per game

RG3 put up over 100 yards more of offense per game than Bridgewater. His team also beat 2 teams ranked in the final polls which is 2 more than Louisville has played so far.
I'd put less stock in the stat difference (because as someone who has watched all year, our games against UK and Temple were about the closest to stat padding as we got), but the lack of ranked opponents is also a great point.
Honest answer:

Who?
This sent me over the edge, I am irrevocably sad now.

In a fair and just CFB world based on facts and equality, Teddy would be getting some love. But CFB isn't based on that, so he gets nothing.

To be fair, the schedule is a little weak and it may take until the last game of the season for any further recognition. Having 5 OOC games is asinine and the BE conference setup makes it hard to teams to stand out I think. If UL makes a run next year in 2013, I think Bridgewater gets much more recognition.

As for the team as a whole, again, it'll take until game 12 I think to get some more movement in the polls. Not like a 9 BCS ranking this late is terrible or anything.

Weird. My girlfriend and I got sprayed with beer by USC students in 2010 while we walked to our tailgate. Guess idiots are everywhere.

I wouldn't say "weird," really -- I've actually never been to an Oregon game where an Oregon fan or two hasn't been thrown out. It's a streak I have going. But it's true that idiots are everywhere.

Yup.

Somebody has a complex.

i don't buy ND at all. beating purdue, byu and pitt all at home and all only by 3 each. they aren't a top 5 team.

ND always plays worse at home. I don't actually know why that is but it's probably a combination of the pressure to win at home, combined with a shitty, soggy field, combined with a lame golf-clapping audience outside of the student section.

Also South Bend is cold, damp and fucking terrible. Brian Kelly underplayed the whole flu thing, but from what I've heard from students, the entire team has been sick with the flu on and off for the past two weeks.

Cyan

Banned
Jesus. Gaborn. Does anyone know how he died?

Apparently several people have tracked down the obituary, but understandably no one quite wants to post it.

I don't know his real life name, so I'm not sure. Apparently he had some kind of congenital illness from infancy.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Apparently several people have tracked down the obituary, but understandably no one quite wants to post it.

I don't know his real life name, so I'm not sure. Apparently he had some kind of congenital illness from infancy.
Fucking sucks.

Jesus. Gaborn. Does anyone know how he died?

Our best guess is one of his many pre-existing conditions suddenly inflamed and took his life. Sounds like Stump is going to try to contact his dad tomorrow to find out any information he can pass along to us. My first thought was to not bother his family during this dark time, but he died back in September so hopefully enough time has passed for a phone call to not be too intrusive.

george_us

I don't know that LSU is as good as you think they were. Or to throw a controversial opinion out there for the heck of it, that Bama is unbeatable. They certainly looked beatable last night. Not many teams match up well with them though and I think they would dominate Oregon.
LSU's defense is every bit as good as Alabama's although their offense isn't. Like I said though, LSU is the only team in the country right now that has the talent to go toe-to-toe with Alabama and they proved it last night. Oregon isn't nearly as good in the trenches and that's where Alabama would dominate.

You know, I'm completely ok with our bowl ban this year since we're fake good. On the other hand, Notre Dame being an even bigger fraud that will be exposed when they get absolutely decimated in a bcs bowl will be even sweeter. Us not being exposed in a bowl will give us confidence going into next season.

Pretty much how I feel. If we would have gone undefeated and somehow ended up in the BCS champ game we would like get destroyed. I'll just take what our record is and then say we could have beat all of them. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom