• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 10 - Rudy Can't Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashman

Banned
Shame5-6.jpg

Shame6-6.jpg

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
tj_yeldon_u_mad_breaux.jpg

Looking at the Overall Stats:
ScreenShot2012-11-04at83814AM.png

Yeah, how did LSU lose?
Also, how did Alabama get within 4 first downs as LSU, when LSU went 10 for 20 on 3rd down, and Alabama went 1 for 9.

george_us

Oregon will beat the fucking piss out of Alabama no doubt. Tide showed me nothing tonite Oregon will have a filed day.
Alabama would slap fire from Oregon. Saban could run Lacey and Yeldon over and over again and the Ducks couldn't stop it. LSU is the only team in the country with the talent to go blow for blow like they did last night.

Should the two teams meet, it'd be a repeat of the ass whooping LSU put on the Ducks last year.

Talon

2005 USC comes to mind.
You mean in the number of NFL busts? The two best NFL players on that team were freshmen that didn't see the field (Matthews and Cushing). And Matthews wasn't even scholarship until his junior year, I think. Kalil and Terrell Thomas have been good/great.

Busts: Dwayne Jarrett, Winston Justice, Lendale, Frostee Rucker, Sedrick Ellis, Moala, Darnell Bing, and Keith Rivers.

I actually thought Keith Ellison would be good - felt he was underrated. Rey and Baker have been okay. Rachal sucks but the Bears only like shitty linemen. And of course Reggie was a one trick pony - but very good at that trick, until last year. Certainly not worthy of that #2 pick.

bluemax

Banned
You mean in the number of NFL busts? The two best NFL players on that team were freshmen that didn't see the field (Matthews and Cushing). And Matthews wasn't even scholarship until his junior year, I think. Kalil and Terrell Thomas have been good/great.

Busts: Dwayne Jarrett, Winston Justice, Lendale, Frostee Rucker, Sedrick Ellis, Moala, Darnell Bing, and Keith Rivers.

I actually thought Keith Ellison would be good - felt he was underrated. Rey and Baker have been okay. Rachal sucks but the Bears only like shitty linemen. And of course Reggie was a one trick pony - but very good at that trick, until last year. Certainly not worthy of that #2 pick.

The criteria wasn't NFL stars, just dudes placed in the NFL!

bluemax

Banned
Commentator in the Seahawks game just said Pete Carroll told the Seahawks when he took over that they have to tackle like Trojans. Someone should teach the current Trojans how to do that as well :(

Talon

Commentator in the Seahawks game just said Pete Carroll told the Seahawks when he took over that they have to tackle like Trojans. Someone should teach the current Trojans how to do that as well :(
Tackle like they're facing Vince Young? Or Oregon State?

jjasper

Don't be shocked if he survives the season and the only casualty is Sunseri.

I've already prepared myself for that and it depresses me. School will play off the "if we had at least a bad defense we would have won ten games. Things can only get better

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Looking at that final drive last night, I reject any notions that LSU went into prevent defense. 3 plays with CB blitz's (1st & 2nd play, and the screen pass for TD) CB's on tight line coverage of WR's. 4th play had a 3 man line, but a LB and CB blitz for 5 rushers. 5th play was the deep pass the fell incomplete, with 4 rushers and man coverage.

Prevent defense is 3 man rush, with DB's 10 yards off the WR's and Safety's 30 yards back, all in zone coverage.

cashman

Banned

I should have clarified that I was talking about the USC-OU game when discussing Bob Stoops' great shames.

cdyhybrid

mo clarrett wont be denied

That's right, I forgot that Maurice Clarett played for Ohio State University in that game. He was great that year as a freshman and it looked like he was going to be playing on Sundays. Whatever happened to him? (and by him I mean Maurice Clarett that played for Ohio State)

bluemax

Banned
This guy on Fox just said Notre Dame vs Alabama would be the best thing for college football.

But he admits they should've lost yesterday.

Foothills

Banned
That's right, I forgot that Maurice Clarett played for Ohio State University in that game. He was great that year as a freshman and it looked like he was going to be playing on Sundays. Whatever happened to him? (and by him I mean Maurice Clarett that played for Ohio State)

he won a lawsuit against the nfl and joined the league under his stage name of chris johnson

Also, wasn't the 2002 Championship at the Fiesta Bowl?

The bowl organizers probably brought the Miami players out with them on fact finding missions around the Phoenix area.

Specifically, fact finding the effect of wads of cash and bags full of cocaine and its effect on strippers.

Seriously though that team was loaded.

Willis McGhee, frank gore, Andre Johnson, kellen Winslow jr, Vince wilfork, Jonathan vilma, Antrel rolle, Sean Taylor.

Stacked

Yeah I don't know who the dude was but he was talking about the Catholic Super Bowl (BC/ND) so there's that.

I mean it does make sense. It is the only region in the US that doesn't care about college football, especially now that the only school up there that mattered turned out to be covering up for a pedophile.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Man, reading our football board (yes we have one, yes it existed before this season) you'd think we were on our way to another bowl-less disappointing season. Sure, getting stomped by FSU and Clemson back to back sucks, but to hear some of them tell it, everything Duke has done positive this year is now all washed up. Why? For losing to two top 10 teams back to back? Losing games nobody expected to win except if we were really lucky?

I agree we've lost a bit of momentum from the UNC game, but I'm chalking up most of it to a still very large talent gap and poor scheduling by the ACC.

Its funny, before this season, everyone who said they'd do back flips if we could find six wins is pissing and moaning that we're just as bad as ever.

Man, reading our football board (yes we have one, yes it existed before this season) you'd think we were on our way to another bowl-less disappointing season. Sure, getting stomped by FSU and Clemson back to back sucks, but to hear some of them tell it, everything Duke has done positive this year is now all washed up. Why? For losing to two top 10 teams back to back? Losing games nobody expected to win except if we were really lucky?

I agree we've lost a bit of momentum from the UNC game, but I'm chalking up most of it to a still very large talent gap and poor scheduling by the ACC.

Its funny, before this season, everyone who said they'd do back flips if we could find six wins is pissing and moaning that we're just as bad as ever.

Look at it this way: People were hopeful enough that they were crushed! Having negative vocal emotions is better then having none at all because basketball is about to start!

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Look at it this way: People were hopeful enough that they were crushed! Having negative vocal emotions is better then having none at all because basketball is about to start!

Well, thats true too, but to bring it back to basketball, it didn't take long for the lifelongs to move on from appreciating the 2010 national championship to already thinking Duke would repeat with Irving at PG. Didn't happen, and everyone was left with hurt feelings.

Our fans just need to really enjoy this ride and there is still a lot to play for. If we can regroup vs GT and play well vs Miami, we still have a shot at the coastal division....which I'm not relishing a rematch with either of the Atlantic schools right now. Next could be another 3-9 season. No guarantee we pick up where we left off this year.

Talon

I know you're just trolling, but aside from VY and their annual loss to a 30 point underdog, their D was rock solid while Pete was there.
I though their D was overrated until his last two teams. Shaun Cody, Sedrick Ellis years. Was it 2008 when they didn't allow an opponent to cross the 50 for 6 games or whatever?

bluemax

Banned
BCS Standings:

25. Toledo
24. Northwestern
23. Rutgers
22. Texas Tech
21. Mississippi State
20. La. Tech
19. USC
18. fucla
17. Texas
16. Nebraska
15. aTm
14. Stanford
13. Clemson
12. Oklahoma
11. Oregon State
10. FSU
9. Louisville
8. South Carolina
7. LSU
6. Florida
5. Georgia
4. Notre Dame
3. Oregon
2. Kansas State
1. Alabama

BCS Standings:

25. Toledo
24. Northwestern
23. Rutgers
22. Texas Tech
21. Mississippi State
20. La. Tech
19. USC
18. fucla
17. Texas
16. Nebraska
15. aTm
14. Stanford
13. Clemson
12. Oklahoma
11. Oregon State
10. FSU
9. Louisville
8. South Carolina
7. LSU
6. Florida
5. Georgia
4. Notre Dame
3. Oregon
2. Kansas State
1. Alabama

Whooooo! Top 20! WHOOOOO! We're coming for you, Bama!

andycapps

Alabama would slap fire from Oregon. Saban could run Lacey and Yeldon over and over again and the Ducks couldn't stop it. LSU is the only team in the country with the talent to go blow for blow like they did last night.

Should the two teams meet, it'd be a repeat of the ass whooping LSU put on the Ducks last year.

I don't know that LSU is as good as you think they were. Or to throw a controversial opinion out there for the heck of it, that Bama is unbeatable. They certainly looked beatable last night. Not many teams match up well with them though and I think they would dominate Oregon.

Oozer3993

BCS Standings:

25. Toledo
24. Northwestern
23. Rutgers
22. Texas Tech
21. Mississippi State
20. La. Tech
19. USC
18. fucla
17. Texas
16. Nebraska
15. aTm
14. Stanford
13. Clemson
12. Oklahoma
11. Oregon State
10. FSU
9. Louisville
8. South Carolina
7. LSU
6. Florida
5. Georgia
4. Notre Dame
3. Oregon
2. Kansas State
1. Alabama

#25!! Ranked in the BCS!

I don't know that LSU is as good as you think they were. Or to throw a controversial opinion out there for the heck of it, that Bama is unbeatable. They certainly looked beatable last night. Not many teams match up well with them though and I think they would dominate Oregon.

You have to be physical to compete with Alabama. Oregon showed last night that they aren't a physical team. Alabama would be able to execute long methodical drives which would keep Oregons offense off the field, and would disrupt the rhythm of their quick offense. K-State or Notre Dame would be a much tougher match up for Alabama.

andycapps

You have to be physical to compete with Alabama. Oregon showed last night that they aren't a physical team. Alabama would be able to execute long methotical drives keeping Oregons offense off the field, and disrupts the rhythm of a quick offense team like Oregon. K-State or Notre Dame would be a much tougher match up for Alabama.

Or Georgia. But I agree on K State and Notre Dame. I'm still wondering how good ND is.

Cyan

Banned
You have to be physical to compete with Alabama. Oregon showed last night that they aren't a physical team. Alabama would be able to execute long methodical drives which would keep Oregons offense off the field, and would disrupt the rhythm of their quick offense. K-State or Notre Dame would be a much tougher match up for Alabama.

ND is a team of density.

Or Georgia. But I agree on K State and Notre Dame. I'm still wondering how good ND is.

Other than their games against Miami and Navy (both opponents they blew out) ND has either raised their game to the level of the competition or lowered their level to that of the competition. They have raised their game to the level of competition of Stanford and OU, but could they raise their game to Alabamas level? We don't know.

andycapps

Other than their games against Miami and Navy (both opponents they blew out) ND has either raised their game to the level of the competition or lowered their level to that of the competition. They have raised their game to the level of competition of Stanford and OU, but could they raise their game to Alabamas level? We don't know.
I can relate to playing to the skill of your opponents. Notre Dame still has to get past USC and Bama still has to get past Georgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom