• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 10 - Rudy Can't Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl2177

It would still be a more enjoyable game than KSU vs. Bama.

Any game would be more enjoyable than anyone/Bama.

LSU is garbo, and Alabama beat a garbo team on a last minute drive. It was like watching the Texas-Kansas game but with more crying.

UCLA 66
Zona 10

... with Zona coming off a win over USC. That also hurts Oregon's "we're awesome" case.

I know the conference rankings don't reflect this, but at this point, I'm 100% confident that the PAC-12 is the 2nd best conference behind the SEC over the BIG12...

Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
Washington
USC
UCLA
Arizona
Arizona State

are all very good teams and while Oregon is clearly the class of the Pac12, there are probably 6 teams that still have a shot at winning the Pac12 title...

squicken

People said the same thing about Oklahoma in 2008. They were destroying ranked opponents and putting up 60 points a game. Then Florida beat them 24-14.

If there's such a thing as an okay loss, it's that one. OU had some talent, but that FLA team rivals the 80s Hurricanes as far as putting guys in the NFL. Go along with Tebow being close behind Tommy Frazier as the perfect CFB QB, and I'm fine with that loss.

Stoops' great shames will always be WVU and BSU

Coaches Poll

1 Alabama 9-0 1475 59 1
2 Oregon 9-0 1399 0 2
3 Kansas St. 9-0 1370 0 3
4 Notre Dame 9-0 1289 0 4
5 Georgia 8-1 1218 0 6
6 Florida St. 8-1 1147 0 7
7 Florida 8-1 1091 0 8
8 Clemson 8-1 1013 0 9
9 LSU 7-2 998 0 5
10 Louisville 9-0 940 0 10
11 South Carolina 7-2 880 0 11
12 Oregon St. 7-1 807 0 13
13 Oklahoma 6-2 800 0 12
14 Texas A&M 7-2 736 0 16
15 Stanford 7-2 705 0 15
16 Nebraska 7-2 513 0 21
17 Texas 7-2 485 0 22
18 Louisiana Tech 8-1 363 0 23
19 UCLA 7-2 333 0 NR
20 Rutgers 7-1 264 0 25
21 Northwestern 7-2 234 0 NR
22 USC 6-3 224 0 17
23 Mississippi St. 7-2 186 0 18
24 Boise St. 7-2 126 0 14
25 Toledo 8-1 108 0 NR

Others Receiving Votes
Northern Illinois (9-1) 88; Texas Tech (6-3) 68; Michigan (6-3) 48; Oklahoma State (5-3) 41; Cincinnati (6-2) 38; TCU (6-3) 37; Ohio (8-1) 34; Kent State (8-1) 32; Wisconsin (6-3) 25; Utah State (8-2) 13; Central Florida (7-2) 12; San Diego State (7-3) 7; West Virginia (5-3) 7; Fresno State (7-3) 4; Louisiana-Monroe (6-3) 4; Tulsa (7-2) 4; Washington (5-4) 4; Arizona State (5-4) 3; Middle Tennessee (6-3) 2.

AP Top 5

Alabama
Oregon
KSU
ND
Georgia/OSU tied

Edit: Since it matters for the BCS formula in the Coaches' Poll up there: Oregon increased their lead over KSU by 4 points and increased their lead over ND by 26.

And it begins:

While Kentucky will be getting rid of Joker Phillips soon, but it's nice to see the heat on Mitch Barnhart as well:

http://www.wdrb.com/story/19995122/bozich-kentucky-football-issues-larger-than-phillips

*article gets bonus points for quoting The Pipe
Is Sagarin the one with Lville at 50? Obviously that West Coast bias.
I don't really blame anybody for not having us high in the computers...we haven't had the most difficult schedule, obviously...but I can't trust a system that says two wins to run-of-the-mill teams are worse than two losses to higher ranked ones.

Full AP Poll

1 Alabama (60) 1 1,500
2 Oregon 2 1,421
3 Kansas State 3 1,395
4 Notre Dame 4 1,318
5 Ohio State 6 1,198
5 Georgia 7 1,198
7 Florida 8 1,112
8 Florida State 9 1,057
9 LSU 5 1,029
10 Clemson 10 931
11 Louisville 12 862
12 South Carolina 11 836
13 Oregon State 13 796
14 Oklahoma 14 765
15 Texas A&M 16 700
16 Stanford 15 655
17 UCLA 25 446
18 Nebraska 21 441
19 Texas - 355
19 Louisiana Tech 22 355
21 USC 18 237
22 Mississippi State 17 187
23 Toledo - 146
24 Rutgers - 99
25 Texas Tech 20 97

TheNatural

My Member!
Wow so Boise DID lose last night huh? Didn't stay up to see the result.

Any chance La Tech can break the 16th BCS ranking to get in this thing? It would be great, and hilarious, to see a huge ass BCS check go directly to a conference that won't even exist either the next year or the year after.

Also the AP votes for their own champ right, that's how split champions are made. Is there a chance that Ohio State could somehow win a split national title by being voted first in the AP without even playing in the postseason? How fucked up would that be?

Wow so Boise DID lose last night huh? Didn't stay up to see the result.

Any chance La Tech can break the 16th BCS ranking to get in this thing? It would be great, and hilarious, to see a huge asss BCS check go directly to a conference that won't even exist either the next year or the year after.
Yup, they did lose. Top 16 would do it, but they would need to finish higher than an AQ conference champ. Their only hope at this point would be for the Big 10 to keep up the derp. Then LA Tech should be good.

TheNatural

My Member!
Yup, they did lose. Top 16 would do it, but they would need to finish higher than an AQ conference champ. Their only hope at this point would be for the Big 10 to keep up the derp. Then LA Tech should be good.

I think Nebraska will lose again, somewhere. Too bad La Tech couldn't win that shootout against A&M. They obviously have some talent there on offense. Who is their coach or OC to put up those kind of numbers?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think Nebraska will lose again, somewhere. Too bad La Tech couldn't win that shootout against A&M. They obviously have some talent there on offense. Who is their coach or OC to put up those kind of numbers?

Tony Franklin, who apparently disagrees with Saban and wants his team to be the fastest out there week in and week out.

Puddles

Banned
The Cal loss is really going to end up fucking us. We play USC and Stanford in our last two games, and I can see the Bruins getting one or the other, but probably not both. Hopefully we don't drop them both and end up with four losses.

cashman

Banned
If there's such a thing as an okay loss, it's that one. OU had some talent, but that FLA team rivals the 80s Hurricanes as far as putting guys in the NFL. Go along with Tebow being close behind Tommy Frazier as the perfect CFB QB, and I'm fine with that loss.

Stoops' great shames will always be WVU and BSU

2005 USC comes to mind.

Piggus

Not talking about you. You aren't as life long as the pusher of fat kids, for example, but we did just get more life longs.

I've been going to Ducks games since about age 5 or 6 and we have had premium season tickets since the 80s so I'm definitely "life long" in at least one sense. :p not afraid to admit that I love my Ducks.

bachikarn

lyCBE.jpg

Cyan

Banned
The Cal loss is really going to end up fucking us. We play USC and Stanford in our last two games, and I can see the Bruins getting one or the other, but probably not both. Hopefully we don't drop them both and end up with four losses.

Shit man, with how UCLA looked last season, a four-loss season is pretty damn good.

But yeah, losing to Cal must really sting. :p

TheNatural

My Member!
Lots of Big East bowl bids will be going to other conferences this season.

Louisville, Cincinnati, and Rutgers are all bowl eligible. Every other team has only 3 or 4 wins. It's a virtual lock that the 5 other teams in the league don't have a winning record, and very possible they all have a losing record to finish the year.

Btw in my section a bunch of Oregon fans got thrown out after throwing beer at somebody and then one of them started throwing punches. Cops walked 'em out. Fucking idiots.

Kevtones

Btw in my section a bunch of Oregon fans got thrown out after throwing beer at somebody and then one of them started throwing punches. Cops walked 'em out. Fucking idiots.

Weird. My girlfriend and I got sprayed with beer by USC students in 2010 while we walked to our tailgate. Guess idiots are everywhere.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Joker Phillips has been relieved as head coach at UK. Honestly nothing will change until the AD is fired as well

Nov. 4, 2012

First, I would like to thank the fans that have supported this football team at Commonwealth Stadium and on the road this year. It has been a difficult season thus far, losses none of us wished to experience and injuries that have taken their toll on an already young squad.

We are a proud member of the Southeastern Conference. With that membership comes some of the greatest challenges in all of college sports. You are challenged every day with great programs in all sports; the fans, coaches and athletes are what make this league special. To compete in this conference you must have a solid foundation on which you operate. For the last decade, our foundation has been built and operated on the principles of our department. We have tried to put in place programs, coaches and attitudes that reflect integrity, education, discipline, stewardship and competitiveness in which all Kentuckians, the entire university and Wildcat fans can find pride.

We have made progress in many areas, but the journey is never an easy one, nor a straight one to the destination we all desire. There is a line in our fight song which we use in our hallways and in our communication: "`til the battle is won." It is easy to write it down; it is harder to live it, especially when you are not seeing the results you very much would like to enjoy. College athletics is now being referred to as the business of college sports. One would be hard-pressed to argue. At its core we make decisions every day based upon the impact it will have on our 500-plus student-athletes, their education and experiences. In the last decade or so it seems the clock on those decisions, most notably the timetable to get any program going has continued to speed up, especially in college football and basketball. The cycle moves at a rapid pace with high expectations.

We have all enjoyed watching hundreds of UK athletes perform at championship levels in recent years. We have celebrated and called them our own with pride. We have watched them leave UK and go onto incredible journeys after their time in Lexington. Football, basketball and our membership in the SEC have provided us the opportunity to do that.

We have had those celebration scenes and great athletes wear the blue and white in recent years at Commonwealth Stadium, and we desire like everyone to have them on a regular basis. We strive to provide an environment of exciting, fun, and winning football - a place where we will celebrate the physical, intense game we all enjoy at the highest level in the best conference in college football.
We have invested significantly in our sports programs, mostly on the backs of football and men's basketball. We have invested in football specifically and have high hopes there will be the opportunity to do major work in our stadium with some financing opportunities in the very near future. As always, we will work to fit into the plans of the university as a whole. Many times I have been told, "We know you will do what is right." When I ask myself for whom, I always return to the same place in my mind: for our student-athletes and coaches first, our fans and supporters next, and for those of us who work for them lastly.

I am proud of the Big Blue Nation for its continued support of our football team, especially for those who have maintained their season tickets and continued to support our entire athletics program. You have provided a great environment in Commonwealth Stadium through the years, and on behalf of our student-athletes, I want to thank you for continuing to fight with us. It is ALWAYS our goal at UK to provide the positive energy and support to pursue the hopes, efforts and dreams of those in the competitions. I hope to see you continue your unwavering support on Senior Day vs. Samford.

In the end there are realities we must face and overcome. Right or wrong, we must respond to those realities to protect the 22 programs and 500-plus student-athletes for whom we provide. Obviously our football program is not where we want it to be and we are all disappointed; coaches, players, administration and our fans.

After much conversation, evaluation and prayer, I have determined that it is in the best interest of our athletics program to make a change in our football coaching staff at the conclusion of the season. I do so with a heavy heart for a man who has served his alma mater for almost 22 years as a player and a coach. Joker Phillips has carried the banner for the Blue and White with honor and pride. I have enjoyed working alongside him and am thankful for his friendship for the last decade. His concern for the entire program, his work and teaching of young people, his humanitarian work, and the friendship we all enjoy with him will long surpass the scoreboard. I want to thank him for all of those things on behalf of Kentucky.

The search for a new head coach will begin immediately and will be managed internally. I understand the challenge and significance of finding a new leader for our football program. It will be done with great concern for our student-athletes, students of the University of Kentucky, the Big Blue Nation and the citizens of the Commonwealth. Kentucky Football needs to be and will be a championship contender in the SEC.

Mitch Barnhart
Director of Athletics

Letter from AD

Schlookum

Neo Member
Joker Phillips has been relieved as head coach at UK. Honestly nothing will change until the AD is fired as well
The entire athletic department and BOT need to get their shit together and realize the importance of investing in the football program.

Harris poll is out, so I've got my next BCS projection... Absolutely guessing at the computer rankings of course.

What's notable is that it's a virtual certainly that Oregon passes Notre Dame to get to number 3 and that's based on the smallish gain of votes Oregon got in the human polls and the somewhat larger gain of votes that Notre Dame lost (in terms of overall points).

Code:
Rank    Coach       Pts  Coach BCS  HarrisPts    HarrisBCS   CAvg Comp BCS Tot BCS
1       Alabama      1475     1.0000     2867       0.9972   3    0.92     0.9724
2       Kansas State 1370     0.9288     2664       0.9266   1       1     0.9518
3       Oregon       1399     0.9485     2735       0.9513   4    0.88     0.9266
4       Notre Dame   1289     0.8739     2533       0.8810   2    0.96     0.9050
5       Georgia      1218     0.8258     2345       0.8157   6     0.8     0.8138
6       Florida      1091     0.7397     2154       0.7492   5    0.84     0.7763
7       LSU           998     0.6766     2011       0.6995   7    0.76     0.7120
8       Florida Stat 1147     0.7776     2223       0.7732  17    0.36     0.6369
9       Louisville    940     0.6373     1825       0.6348  11     0.6     0.6240
10      South Caroli  880     0.5966     1654       0.5753   9    0.68     0.6173
11      Oregon State  807     0.5471     1588       0.5523   8    0.72     0.6065
12      Clemson      1013     0.6868     1969       0.6849  16     0.4     0.5905
13      Oklahoma      800     0.5424     1556       0.5412  10    0.64     0.5745
14      Stanford      705     0.4780     1431       0.4977  12    0.56     0.5119
15      Texas A&M     736     0.4990     1320       0.4591  13    0.52     0.4927

ag-my001

A&M picked the worst week to beat up on a ranked team with no one else losing except for said team. Oh well, after watching some of the game last night I've upped our chances to about 3:1 against Bama, which isn't too bad considering it's in Tuscaloosa. At least we're finally on CBS to hear Verne butcher the name "Nwachukwu".

Kevtones

Oregon picked up +4 in the coaches and +2 over KSU in the Harris. Notre Dame lost considerable ground to both in the polls.

Judging by Alabama's jump to #1 in Saragin, it's not out of the ordinary to think them potentially #1 or #2 in the computer average as well. LSU is loved by the computers so their victory will hold huge weight.

Oregon is still #7 in Saragin (the low/high are dropped) although they're a victory over Cal from being #4-5. Nonetheless, Oregon's poll ceiling seems a little distressing although if Stanford and Oregon State play decent over the next few weeks, Oregon should bounce higher. They also benefit from beating 7-3 Fresno State and 6-3 Arkansas State.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom