• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 11 - Team of Destiny requires 3 OTs to beat 4-5 team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
I pray for your own mental wellbeing that you don't drop one like we did.

It really sucks.

I pray for the rest of us that they don't drop one. Them or Oregon.

Though, shit, if that happens I'd take Notre Dame over another damn SEC team.

Sweet Lord Jesus, what am I saying?

LegoDad

I pray for the rest of us that they don't drop one. Them or Oregon.

Though, shit, if that happens I'd take Notre Dame over another damn SEC team.

Sweet Lord Jesus, what am I saying?

I would love to play ND in the Championship game.. lol

I pray for your own mental wellbeing that you don't drop one like we did.

It really sucks.

I know how that feels... 1998.. we lost in Double OT of the Big 12 Championship game..... to Texas A&M.. was #1 going into the game.

There may have been a media bias for Notre Dame in the past but that has certainly dried up over the last 20 years. We don't live in the era of New York cigar-smoking, fur-coat wearing bookie/journalists who voted the Irish number 1 if they won the bowl they happened to be in.

The problem this year is that Notre Dame has a dominant defense and a passable offense (I say passable because if it was any less than that they would have lost multiple games this season). At the same time this is the list of the defenses that Notre Dame has played this year (total defense):

#4 BYU
#7 Michigan State
#11 Michigan
#17 Stanford
#20 Oklahoma

Only in the SEC where the defenses play each other's terrible offenses (Aggie's Big12-ness still hasn't worn off) is defense considered an advantage in the polls. Then you get the SEC scheduling. Here are some choice selections from this week's brutal SEC schedule:

Kentucky vs. Samford
Texas AM vs. Sam Houston State
Florida vs. Jacksonville State
Alabama vs. W. Carolina
Georgia vs. Georgia Southern
Auburn vs. Alabama AM
South Carolina vs. Wofford

For those with the conference title game argument: Any conference team would need to play in their conference title game in order to play the same number of FBS teams that ND will have played.

Notre Dame is ONLY third in the polls because voters vote for offense unless it's an SEC team because the SEC is the only conference where you are allowed to go undefeated because of a good defense.

Notre Dame has allowed 9 TDs at this point (the next lowest is 14). Alabama last year had the lowest number in a LOOOONG while with 12 for the season. I think that record will probably hold up, but in most years the team with the least TDs allowed is in the 20s.

There's a lot of football left to watch, but at least with Alabama losing, thing's have gotten a lot more interesting. Oregon better watch out for Stanford. They're the only top 25 defense they'll face all season.

Branduil

So I just found out Penn State got screwed out of a touchdown in their last game.

Oh.

You can't see it, but right now I'm playing the world's smallest violin.

tokkun

Well Illinois is the worst offensive team in the league and they scored 22 on you guys during the past few weeks. And I'm not saying Wisconsin is a world-beater, but after what they just did to Indiana, and what Indiana did to you guys ... I'm just talking public perception here (the spread is still the topic, right?).

Wisconsin is down to their 3rd-string QB and only threw 7 passes in that game against Indiana. That game plan is not going to work against Ohio State, which has a much better D-Line than Indiana.

Indiana's offense did well against Ohio State because they are an up-tempo offense that likes to run a lot of swing passes and bubble screens and tOSU is weak at linebacker. In most other years Wisconsin could exploit that with play-action to tight ends up the middle, but with the lack of competent QB play this year, they can just do man coverage on the receivers and let the safeties play up.

I don't think the comparison of each team's game against Nebraska makes a lot of sense; rather I would look at tOSU's game against Michigan State, which has been similarly reliant on power running this season, with the exception that Wisconsin's defenders probably won't be gunning to injure Braxton Miller.

Notre Dame argument.

Instead of getting into the weeds about what defenses each team has played and whether they really deserve their high rankings (*cough* Michigan), why not just get to the meat of why people think they're overrated: that Notre Dame just barely escaped against two different 6-loss teams, with Purdue getting shut down at the goal line and Pitt blowing a field goal (after ND only making it to OT due to an egregiously bad pass interference call). They are a hair's-breadth from being 7-3 instead of 10-0.

Instead of getting into the weeds about what defenses each team has played and whether they really deserve their high rankings (*cough* Michigan), why not just get to the meat of why people think they're overrated: that Notre Dame just barely escaped against two different 6-loss teams, with Purdue getting shut down at the goal line and Pitt blowing a field goal (after ND only making it to OT due to an egregiously bad pass interference call). They are a hair's-breadth from being 7-3 instead of 10-0.

My whole argument was that ND has a dominant defense. The offense is entirely to blame for the close games (Purdue didn't happen like you remember it did and if Stanford had scored a touchdown in OT it would have just gone to another OT.) You are still harping on the offense, which is exactly what I'm pointing out. The polls right now are clearly slanted towards offensive prowess over defensive prowess. This hasn't always been the case. Notre Dame's defense allows them to beat anybody on any given Saturday and the offense has to hope it doesn't self destruct. This isn't any different from some SEC teams in the past who have been voted to the top based on defense alone. I think K-State is legit. I think Oregon has yet to face a legitimate defense. Notre Dame has given up 9 touchdowns so far this year. Oregon gave up 7 to just USC.

The odds that all three unbeatens stay that way is pretty slim, and I'm happy as long as Notre Dame makes it to a BCS bowl, but it's just odd seeing a dominant defensive team being voted lower this year after years of evidence showing that high ranked defenses have a huge advantage in the championship game.

So I just found out Penn State got screwed out of a touchdown in their last game.

Oh.

You can't see it, but right now I'm playing the world's smallest violin.

I'm trying to think of a joke that details the irony of that....nothing.

Anyways, last night I saw a 40 something year old man wearing a penn state shirt and cap pushing a double-stroller with 2 kids. Penn State fans either don't care, or don't get it....

The loss to NC State really stings now. An undefeated FSU would probably be no higher than 4th or 5th in the BCS since the computers hate us, but it would be nice to at least be in the MNC conversation.

At this point I am just holding out hope that Oregon, K-State, and ND all remain undefeated just to keep the SEC out of the championship game.

andycapps

The loss to NC State really stings now. An undefeated FSU would probably be no higher than 4th or 5th in the BCS since the computers hate us, but it would be nice to at least be in the MNC conversation.

At this point I am just holding out hope that Oregon, K-State, and ND all remain undefeated just to keep the SEC out of the championship game.

Penis envy. Also, week 12 thread is up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom