• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 11 - Team of Destiny requires 3 OTs to beat 4-5 team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balphon

Past few weeks defense has been playing lights out and this team has not had an issue with teams who like to line up and run it right at ya. See Michigan St game. Not to mention Wisc has been pretty bad are are starting a backup qb. Not to mention Wisc lost to UNL who we obliterated and lost to sparty as well. Wisc has yet to beat any good or even average teams.

Watch it now, that's a B1G championship contender you're talking about.

bluemax

Banned
Week 12 BCS Standings:

25. Washington
24. Oklahoma State
23. Texas Tech
22. Rutgers
21. Michigan
20. La. Tech
19. Louisville
18. USC
17. fucla
16. Oregon State
15. Texas
14. Nebraska
13. Stanford
12. Oklahoma
11. Clemson
10. Florida State
9. South Carolina
8. aTm
7. LSU
6. Florida
5. Georgia
4. Alabama
3. Notre Dame
2. Oregon
1. Kansas State

Past few weeks defense has been playing lights out and this team has not had an issue with teams who like to line up and run it right at ya. See Michigan St game. Not to mention Wisc has been pretty bad are are starting a backup qb. Not to mention Wisc lost to UNL who we obliterated and lost to sparty as well. Wisc has yet to beat any good or even average teams.

Well Illinois is the worst offensive team in the league and they scored 22 on you guys during the past few weeks. And I'm not saying Wisconsin is a world-beater, but after what they just did to Indiana, and what Indiana did to you guys ... I'm just talking public perception here (the spread is still the topic, right?).

Well Illinois is the worst offensive team in the league and they scored 22 on you guys during the past few weeks. And I'm not saying Wisconsin is a world-beater, but after what they just did to Indiana, and what Indiana did to you guys ... I'm just talking public perception here (the spread is still the topic, right?).

7 of those points were off a fumble return for a td late in the 4th with all our backups in. Fact remains that Wiscs style of play plays right into the strengths of our defense.

We've got 2 of the 3 components for the BCS rankings... Just no computer rankings other than Sagarin, so my computer rankings are very close to last weeks accounting for teams that lost or had a huge win...

aTm looks to be taking a huge leap with Clemson also taking a decent jump. I didnt' see Florida State's computer rankings jumping much, but they could easily be swapped with Clemson. Actually, from 8-12, I could see some significant variability based on the computers given that they're only .03 apart in my guesstimate. Finally, my computer averages are based on whole integers, whereas in the BCS they're the decimal value, so K-State could average a 1.6 on the computer ranking which would make a huge difference in the computer portion.

Code:
Rnk Team        CoachPts CoachBCS Hrs Pts HrsBCS   Comp CompBCS  Total BCS Pvs
1   Kansas State    1427   0.9675    2774  0.9649     2    0.96  0.9641    2
2   Oregon          1460   0.9898    2844  0.9892     4    0.88  0.9530    3
3   Notre Dame      1346   0.9125    2634  0.9162     1       1  0.9429    4
4   Georgia         1260   0.8542    2393  0.8323     5    0.84  0.8422    5
5   Alabama         1243   0.8427    2494  0.8675     6     0.8  0.8367    1
6   Florida         1079   0.7315    2113  0.7350     3    0.92  0.7955    6
7   LSU             1040   0.7051    2082  0.7242     8    0.72  0.7164    7
8   Texas aTm        967   0.6556    1842  0.6407     7    0.76  0.6854   15
9   South Caroli     903   0.6122    1732  0.6024     9    0.68  0.6315    8
10  Clemson         1033   0.7003    1972  0.6859    15    0.44  0.6088   13
11  Florida Stat    1143   0.7749    2175  0.7565    19    0.28  0.6038   10
12  Oklahoma         799   0.5417    1631  0.5673    10    0.64  0.5830   12
13  Stanford         793   0.5376    1621  0.5638    11     0.6  0.5672   14
14  Nebraska         653   0.4427    1239  0.4310    13    0.52  0.4646   16
15  Texas            615   0.4169    1095  0.3809    14    0.48  0.4259   17
16  Oregon State     490   0.3322    1081  0.3760    12    0.56  0.4227   11
17  UCLA             494   0.3349     870  0.3026    16     0.4  0.3458   18

Week 12 BCS Standings:

25. Washington
24. Oklahoma State
23. Texas Tech
22. Rutgers
21. Michigan
20. La. Tech
19. Louisville
18. USC
17. fucla
16. Oregon State
10. Florida State
9. South Carolina
8. aTm
7. LSU
6. Florida
5. Georgia
4. Alabama
3. Notre Dame
2. Oregon
1. Kansas State

My numbers are pretty damn close overall. Georgia/Alabama were flip-flopped and the controversial FSU/Clemson also flip-flopped.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If we beat Florida and win the ACC, I would expect to jump ahead of all the two loss teams, but who knows if that will actually happen.

Figured a jump to 9 or 10, but 8 is nice. Guess the computers really hate the ACC.
Also, we can break the top 14 rule but not the two team rule?

The top 14 is just the first pass for eligible teams... If there aren't any
Then you go to the top 16... If there aren't any
Then you go to the top 18... If there aren't any
etc/etc

Actually, I think they can have 3 teams if the MNC teams were both from the same conference (like last year), but the Sugar Bowl opted to choose Michigan last year instead of Arkansas.

ag-my001

With all the losses that have to happen in the PAC12, how likely is it for La. Tech to sneak into the Top 16? USC and UCLA seem likely enough with losses to Oregon, but Oregon St./Texas have a decent cushion built up.

With all the losses that have to happen in the PAC12, how likely is it for La. Tech to sneak into the Top 16? USC and UCLA seem likely enough with losses to Oregon, but Oregon St./Texas have a decent cushion built up.

Much, much more likely is other teams to move ahead of La Tech and even if Stanford, Oregon State, Texas, or Nebraska lost, La Tech's computer rankings are so bad that I think they'd stay ahead. I don't see them being an issue.

lol, we are 25th in the BCS despite having almost zero human poll votes. Maybe the humans should take a look at schedule strength every now and then.

The top 14 is just the first pass for eligible teams... If there aren't any
Then you go to the top 16... If there aren't any
Then you go to the top 18... If there aren't any
etc/etc

Actually, I think they can have 3 teams if the MNC teams were both from the same conference (like last year), but the Sugar Bowl opted to choose Michigan last year instead of Arkansas.

It's groups of 4 so would go to top 18 then top 22.

And the only way a conference would get three teams is if somehow the conf champ doesn't make the title game but two other teams from that conference do. Sugar Bowl isn't picking anyone over an SEC team if they have a choice.

If we beat Florida and win the ACC, I would expect to jump ahead of all the two loss teams, but who knows if that will actually happen.

I would like to think this could happen but even this seems unlikely. When we beat UF and win the ACC title game, I say we only move up one spot. It's been that type of year for us (and ACC for that matter).

lol, we are 25th in the BCS despite having almost zero human poll votes. Maybe the humans should take a look at schedule strength every now and then.

I think Pac12 is so good in the top 7 that Washington and Arizona have huge discrepancies between the computers and the rankings...

Washington has lost to LSU, Oregon, USC, and Arizona, but they beat Stanford and Oregon State

Arizona has lost to Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, and UCLA, but beat Toledo, USC, Oklahoma State, and Washington.

Zigzz14

I've come to the realization that its probably not gonna happen for my Irish. Really tough to swallow, but what are you gonna do....it's the price we pay for being an independent. As has been proven from recent cfb history the media will do anything they can to take a National Championship away from ND. Just hope we can beat USC and finish undefeated. It would still make me incredibly proud.

I've come to the realization that its probably not gonna happen for my Irish. Really tough to swallow, but what are you gonna do....it's the price we pay for being an independent. As has been proven from recent cfb history the media will do anything they can to take a National Championship away from ND. Just hope we can beat USC and finish undefeated. It would still make me incredibly proud.

Wait. You just said the media is taking away ND's title hopes and have been for years? WHAT THE FUCK.

The media of all things... this fuckin guy.

Media bias against ND is the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Zigzz14

You guys need to get out of your ND hating bubble. In 89 #1 Notre Dame lost to Miami who would go on to lose another regular season game. At the end of the year Miami finished 1 and ND finished 2. In 93 #2 Notre Dame beat #1 FSU and ND would go on to lose a game. FSU finished #1 and ND finished #2. Maybe "media" was the wrong word, should have said pollsters but the point remains the same. If given the chance the pollsters will do anything they can to fuck ND. I've come to grips with it

You guys need to get out of your ND hating bubble. In 89 #1 Notre Dame lost to Miami who would go on to lose another regular season game. At the end of the year Miami finished 1 and ND finished 2. In 93 #2 Notre Dame beat #1 FSU and ND would go on to lose a game. FSU finished #1 and ND finished #2. Maybe "media" was the wrong word, should have said pollsters but the point remains the same. If given the chance the pollsters will do anything they can to fuck ND. I've come to grips with it

the blamestream media will do anything to keep the catholics down!

I tell you, Mike Slive and his team (SEC commissioner) are fucking brilliant (and conversely, Pac12 and B1G are retarded).

The 16 teams are perfectly balanced and the scheduling is super conducive to what we're seeing.

The "big" teams can easily miss each other because

1) Only 8 conference games
2) They play six conference division games, so they don't play everybody in the division
3) They only play 2 cross division games
(eg) Alabama doesn't play Georgia, Florida, South Carolina
(eg) Georgia doesn't play Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M
4) They have weaker teams spread across the divisions (Ole Miss, Kentucky, Vanderbilt) with a number of other teams seemingly being week lately (Tennessee, Auburn)

These factors really make it where you can expect the SEC to have 6-7 plus teams with only 2 losses for the year.

I have no idea why Pac12 and B1G haven't gone to 8 conference games as it gives 6 losses to the conferences that you can EASILY replace with wins. It seems financially really bad business to not have already made these changes.

93 is "recent" ITT

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Glad to see Nebraska in the top 15 BCS! Yeah, we have had some help along the way, but our second half offense and defense is top ten in the nation, so I will take it :)

I tell you, Mike Slive and his team (SEC commissioner) are fucking brilliant (and conversely, Pac12 and B1G are retarded).

The 16 teams are perfectly balanced and the scheduling is super conducive to what we're seeing.

2) They play six conference division games, so they don't play everybody in the division
4) They have weaker teams spread across the divisions (Ole Miss, Kentucky, Vanderbilt) with a number of other teams seemingly being week lately (Tennessee, Auburn)

These factors really make it where you can expect the SEC to have 6-7 plus teams with only 2 losses for the year.

I have no idea why Pac12 and B1G haven't gone to 8 conference games as it gives 6 losses to the conferences that you can EASILY replace with wins. It seems financially really bad business to not have already made these changes.
Wait, SEC doesn't play everyone in the division? I thought the NCAA required that at minimum to determine a division winner. It should basically be a round robin format within the division.

Edit: SEC is at 14 teams, not 16.

Wait, SEC doesn't play everyone in the division? I thought the NCAA required that at minimum to determine a division winner. It should basically be a round robin format within the division.

Edit: SEC is at 14 teams, not 16.

yep... Scratch that. That was part of the argument when it looked like we were going to 4 super conferences last year.

desh

First of all, there are 14 teams in the SEC. Second of all, with seven (not 8) in each division, playing 6 division games means you do play everyone in your division. But, I agree with your point, the SEC expanding to 14 teams helps fulfill their self-fulfilling prophecy to boost the SEC stats.

have no idea why Pac12 and B1G haven't gone to 8 conference games as it gives 6 losses to the conferences that you can EASILY replace with wins. It seems financially really bad business to not have already made these changes.

The B1G does play 8 conference games, they've said they'll go to nine but I doubt it actually happens.

Pac 12 can't really go to 8 because unlike the SEC, outside of a few exceptions, Pac 12 schools can't sell tickets playing 3 cupcakes at home every year and people aren't watching pac 12 blowouts on tv. Big money tv deal doesn't happen with 6 less quality games a year available and schools would sell a lot less tickets when you trade USC/UCLA/Oregon for cupcake U.

Competitively it's bad business for the Pac 12, finances are why they have(and will continue to have at least through the end of the tv deal) 9 games.

ag-my001

Nine games works for leagues with ten teams as everyone plays everyone else. Eight games is the right number for a league of twelve letting you play half the other division. SEC really does need to go to nine for fourteen.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Nine games works for leagues with ten teams as everyone plays everyone else. Eight games is the right number for a league of twelve letting you play half the other division. SEC really does need to go to nine for fourteen.

I doubt it will change unless it's forced or the SEC determines it's somehow a better move financially. Chances are adding more guaranteed conference losses into the mix will hurt more than help.

ag-my001

I doubt it will change unless it's forced or the SEC determines it's somehow a better move financially. Chances are adding more guaranteed conference losses into the mix will hurt more than help.
I think there may be some internal pressure with permanent rivals making it a six year cycle to play the other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom