• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 6 - If the Stanford Tree falls...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slo

(watch us beat tOSU and lose to Minnesota)

GOLDY! GOLDY! GOLDY!

flagwave.gif

I'm already regretting picking TCU as Big12 champs. In fact, I predict they will squeak by Iowa State at home this week, then lose 5 out of their last 7 games.

I can see this too.

LSU will lose to Alabama, win out, and face Alabama again in the MNC because that would be the worst possible thing ever and that is how things go.

Why yes, of course.

Purdue beat me (Michigan) 31-6 in my Dynasty, fyi.

GAF Pick'em Week 6
*all games Saturday unless otherwise marked

ACC Terribowl Pick of the Week
(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Syracuse by derp

Arkansas @ Auburn by derp
Northwestern @ Penn State by 4
Arizona @ Stanford by derp
Virginia @ Duke by ACCACCACC
LSU @ Florida by derp
Oklahoma @ Texas Tech by DEFENSE
Michigan @ Purdue by derp
Georgia @ South Carolina by FINALLY
West Virginia @ Texas by lol. Taking the over of 90.
Miami @ Notre Dame by derpety
Florida State @ NC State by derp
Nebraska @ Ohio State by 4
UCLA @ California by whocares
Washington @ Oregon by 50

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I don't give a crap if our competition thus far has been less than stellar; last year against fairly similar competition through 4 games we were already 102nd in the country in total yards allowed. This year through 4 games we're still #1 and if the ISU game proved nothing else it's that we can survive a game with terrible play by our QB. Last year we folded like a cheap tent at the first sign of early adversity. ISU was beating us 21-0 at the end of the first quarter IN LUBBOCK last year.

Our ranking will surely drop pretty significantly now that we're in the meat of our schedule but new DC Art Kaufman is some kind of wizard to have the team playing as well as they are after that dumpster fire we fielded last year.

On a side note, I'm not 100% sure ISU doesn't have the best defense in the conference this year. I would only currently say that maybe Texas and KSU are better.

GEORGIA THIS WEEK THEN LSU NEXT WEEK BABY! THEN WE'RE GOING TO FLORIDA AND THEN TAKE ON TENNESSEE AND THEN ARKANSAS AND AHHHHHHHHHH *Howard Dean scream*

Garryk

The only good footbaw thing about this weekend was I did decent on the pick 'em. Think I scored 101. Write it down ttk.

bowls suck anyway

Nonsense. It totally depends. Some years it's a worthless consolation game, other years it's a huge opportunity to salvage the season, others it's the biggest game of the year, bar none. What are you even talking about? Fan of a shitty team that never gets to bowl games, or always plays in shitty ones?

andycapps

GOLDY! GOLDY! GOLDY!

flagwave.gif

Great gif and great show.

Top 10 posters for week 5

MightyHealthy 129
bucknuticus 108
ConfusingJazz 80
perfectchaos007 76
Yaboosh 74
andycapps 68
TheNatural 65
Skiesofwonder 65
cajunator 57
BertramCooper 55

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Dude. We're picking Duke. To win a game. In football.

You'll have to excuse us if that feels a little weird.

You think thats crazy? If Duke does win, that will be 4 in a row! Hold on to ya butts!

Here is the video of the computer renderings of the Wallace Wade renovations I mentioned in last weeks thread. Even more trees bitting the dust Lonestar.

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=1059109

skip to about 1:40. Bad news is (other than the pretty trees disappearing) are season ticket prices won't be cheap and I hate the changes they want for CIS.

They have raised about 90 of the 270 million needed, so it will be a while. The track removal is already set for after next season.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
And half of these were them bitching about the other being a horrible Louisville fan. It was awesome.

Shit, when TheNatural and SethC go at it in the CBB thread, it gets ugly. The Duke and UNC fans that frequent the thread are pretty chill in comparison.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I see a refreshing absence of ROLL TIDE ROLLL PAAWWWWWLLLL
Think I mentioned it'd be another down week for me. Just a bad week of games. Played planetside most of the afternoon.

Gonna need SCANDALS to carry me this week

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Syracuse by 4
Arkansas @ Auburn by 14
Northwestern @ Penn State by 10
Arizona @ Stanford by 7
Virginia @ Duke by 4
LSU @ Florida by 4
Oklahoma @ Texas Tech by 10
Michigan @ Purdue by 10
Georgia @ South Carolina by 4
West Virginia @ Texas by 4
Miami @ Notre Dame by 18
Florida State @ NC State by 14
Nebraska @ Ohio State by 4
UCLA @ California by 4
Washington @ Oregon by 18

The Landry Jones shit show continues into Lubbock this week. They lose @ Tech again, then drag ass into the Cotton bowl where Texas gets their get back. Fuck me up the goat ass.

KingGondo

Banned
I thought before the season that Texas would start conference play 0-3.

OU starting 0-3 would be an acceptable alternative scenario.

andycapps

Think I mentioned it'd be another down week for me. Just a bad week of games. Played planetside most of the afternoon.

Gonna need SCANDALS to carry me this week

I think you did, but I was still shocked. I probably wouldn't be on the list but I broke my rule of not posting during Georgia games. Probably why the game was so close. This week will be a slack week for me as I'll be at a conference this weekend and will be lucky to watch the UGA/USCe game on my phone.

Nonsense. It totally depends. Some years it's a worthless consolation game, other years it's a huge opportunity to salvage the season, others it's the biggest game of the year, bar none. What are you even talking about? Fan of a shitty team that never gets to bowl games, or always plays in shitty ones?

Bowls are meaningless if you're not near the top of the BCS (and thus going for a title that has some merit) and they are always boring to watch. If you're hoping the GoDaddy.com Bowl or the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl is going to salvage your season you're already lost. Your team doesnt deserve a medal for winning 6 games and beating some other terrible team. Get rid of them ALL

TheNatural

My Member!
Bowls are meaningless if you're not near the top of the BCS (and thus going for a title that has some meaning) and they are always boring to watch. If you're hoping the GoDaddy.com Bowl or the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl is going to salvage your season you're already lost. Your team doesnt deserve a medal for winning 6 games and beating some other terrible team. Get rid of them ALL

I like this man.

Totally agree, been beating this drum for years but it doesn't look like it's ever going to change.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
God I hate living in Georgia after a Tennessee loss. Facebook posts "HOW BOUT THEM DOGS" and daily interactions that consist of "RUFF RUFF RUFF" and delusional hopes of "BEST IN THE SEC!" are wide and rampant today. Maybe I should rethink my position of wearing my Volunteer fandom on my sleeves.....

I think it's made even worse when most of the Georgia fans I interact with in real life are either:

A. Ignorant fans that know nothing about college football besides the scores they saw scrolling across ESPN, including UGA's latest victory
B. Band wagoners
C. Loud and overzealous
D. All of the above

FML

Bowls are meaningless if you're not near the top of the BCS (and thus going for a title that has some merit) and they are always boring to watch. If you're hoping the GoDaddy.com Bowl or the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl is going to salvage your season you're already lost. Your team doesnt deserve a medal for winning 6 games and beating some other terrible team. Get rid of them ALL

I like this man.

Totally agree, been beating this drum for years but it doesn't look like it's ever going to change.

Fuck you both! When has more football ever been a bad thing? Add 100 more bowls if it means more college football! The lesser bowls are whatever, but still fun to watch.

The BCS bowls are always fun to watch though as its good teams playing each other (outside the orange bowl).

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The only good thing about all the little bowls (besides giving us something to watch in the dead TV period around Christmas), is teams get extra practice time. In today's NCAA Restricted Practice Schedules, any extra practice can help teams in the future.

TheNatural

My Member!
Fuck you both! When has more football ever been a bad thing? Add 100 more bowls if it means more college football! The lesser bowls are whatever, but still fun to watch.

The BCS bowls are always fun to watch though as its good teams playing each other (outside the orange bowl).

I rather watch the 1-AA playoffs than the #3 Sun Belt team play the #5 MAC team.

Min payoff for the bowls should be raised to make it more difficult to flood the system with bowls.

cashman

Banned
Why not. Texas is usually decent. I mean you have Rick Barnes so you can only go so far but there been a lot of talent on that team in years past.

Last years team was a fucking beating to watch. However, I think this year's team should be good enough to make it to the second weekend.

JCX

God I hate living in Georgia after a Tennessee loss. Facebook posts "HOW BOUT THEM DOGS" and daily interactions that consist of "RUFF RUFF RUFF" and delusional hopes of "BEST IN THE SEC!" are wide and rampant today. Maybe I should rethink my position of wearing my Volunteer fandom on my sleeves.....

I think it's made even worse when most of the Georgia fans I interact with in real life are either:

A. Ignorant fans that know nothing about college football besides the scores they saw scrolling across ESPN, including UGA's latest victory
B. Band wagoners
C. Loud and overzealous
D. All of the above

FML

I'm very close to getting a job in Ann Arbor of all places.

Top 10 posters for week 5

MightyHealthy 129
bucknuticus 108
ConfusingJazz 80
perfectchaos007 76
Yaboosh 74
andycapps 68
TheNatural 65
Skiesofwonder 65
cajunator 57
BertramCooper 55
6je8R.gif

mre is Not A True Fan (TM).
Bro I totally agree. If you don't unequivocally support and spout positive nonsense about your team irregardless of reality you're a fucking terrible fan. So many terrible fans out there. I'm gonna go back to cheering for my average team that I'll stop giving a fuck about when they lose a few.
And half of these were them bitching about the other being a horrible Louisville fan. It was awesome.
Soooo close, stupid mid majors.
sidOD.gif

TheNatural

My Member!
I dunno, Tennessee vs. Michigan sounds like an entertaining game.

Zing.

The bowl argument is old hat anyway, I know it's never going to change. More annoying is the stuff that could change and at least make the bowl system a little more prestigious like it once was.

Stop putting shit like the Little Caesar's Bowl, GMAC Bowl, or whatever the fuck they are, all the way back on like January 6th past the New Years Bowls, first off. These games suck, they should be out of the way first, then have your mid tier bowls, and then anything New Years Day and beyond is good shit. No #4 WAC vs. #7 C-USA games like 3 days before the BCS title game, shit.

Second, stop changing the fucking names of bowls, especially the classic ones. It's not the Capital One Bowl damnit, it's either the Tangerine or Florida Citrus Bowl. And it sure as hell isn't the Chick-fil-A bowl, especially with what's gone on this year, its the fucking Peach Bowl.

Sorry, it at least sounded a lot more badass to play in the Copper Bowl instead of the Buffalo Wild Wings bowl. The bowl system has turned into NASCAR.

I don't give a crap if our competition thus far has been less than stellar; last year against fairly similar competition through 4 games we were already 102nd in the country in total yards allowed. This year through 4 games we're still #1 and if the ISU game proved nothing else it's that we can survive a game with terrible play by our QB. Last year we folded like a cheap tent at the first sign of early adversity. ISU was beating us 21-0 at the end of the first quarter IN LUBBOCK last year.

Our ranking will surely drop pretty significantly now that we're in the meat of our schedule but new DC Art Kaufman is some kind of wizard to have the team playing as well as they are after that dumpster fire we fielded last year.

On a side note, I'm not 100% sure ISU doesn't have the best defense in the conference this year. I would only currently say that maybe Texas and KSU are better.

Hell, you don't even have to look at past games. You can just count the number of black helmets on the TV screen around the ball at any time to tell this defense is way better than last year. And the quality of the tackling.

Glasgow, (the DC last year) was just pathetic. I had never seen someone play a base 3 man front zone defense on third-and-1 or 2 or on the goal line before last year...and he did it all the time. WTF? What Kaufman has done is simply put the guys in places where they can make plays without having to think too much before the snap, and the difference is night and day.

ISU's defense is salty. Those two stud LBs will play on Sundays. That was no surprise. I was surprised how good the were on the interior line until we wore them out. They are a lot deeper than I thought, even though ISU fans were telling me for two weeks they had 11 legit guys rotating on their front. No superstars, but all very very solid. I have no doubt in my mind that ISU fields a better D than TCU at least when this all shakes out.

Tech has only missed making a bowl once in the last 10 seasons (and only missed being bowl eligible once in the last 19 seasons) and I would kill a man with no regrets to not have to go through that again.

The extra few weeks of practices the NCAA allows you to have alone are a huge advantage for next year. Going to a bowl...any bowl, is a big help if you want to continue improving year over year in a tough conference, just for the extra practice.

Z_Y

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Syracuse by 4
Arkansas @ Auburn by 7
Northwestern @ Penn State by 3
Arizona @ Stanford by 4
Virginia @ Duke by 4
LSU @ Florida by 6
Oklahoma @ Texas Tech by 6
Michigan @ Purdue by 4
Georgia @ South Carolina by 6
West Virginia @ Texas by 42
Miami @ Notre Dame by 6