• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Columbus cops shoot and kill a 13 year old with a BB gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

The real shock in this case is just how little hubbub seems be getting kicked up about it in central Ohio. It seems like most people even in the black community are buying the cops' version of events. Maybe it still has steam to build as news of this development spreads.

Just stating facts here. You can't say it wouldn't have happened to a white kid. It was dark, a pistol like object was drawn at a police officer. I would expect to be shot if I did that.

Do you honestly believe the 13 year old kid pointed the BB gun at the officer?
Why exactly would he do that? To poke the officer in the eye with a BB pellet?

kirblar

The real shock in this case is just how little hubbub seems be getting kicked up about it in central Ohio. It seems like most people even in the black community are buying the cops' version of events. Maybe it still has steam to build as news of this development spreads.
If I remember how this went down correctly, one of the other kids witnessed what happened.

ThisGuy

Gives them a reason to accept child murder brought on by a racist.

Never mind the fact that a child took three in the back.

Slayven

slave-patrol-badge-police-badge.png

Post #572 in this thread has a quote of this 13 year old being shot in the back, in Ohio, which is an open carry state.

You honestly believe this would have happened to a white child?
Did you also miss the source of that report is one which has been banned for false and inaccurate reporting? I am going to assume it was Occupy Democrats which more often than not get the story wrong. Trusting them is akin to trusting Drudge Report as a primary source. Maybe even worse.

Looks like a Springfield XD. Shit looks real

They sell these guns to look EXACTLY like the real thing. That BB gun is sold at Walmart.

The Washington Post had a good article a few months ago on toy guns with statistics on police shootings. https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/in-two-years-police-killed-86-people-brandishing-guns-that-look-real--but-arent/2016/12/18/ec005c3a-b025-11e6-be1c-8cec35b1ad25_story.html

Police in the US have killed 86 people with fake guns over the last 2 years. Mostly BB or pellet guns. The age breakdown is mainly 25-34 years old (males of course). The racial breakdown: 54 white, 19 black, 11 Hispanic, 2 other. So, mostly 20-30 something year old white men with BB guns. The oldest guy shot was 77 while riding a scooter. (wow...wtf is a 77 year old doing riding a scooter? probably had mental issues)

If I had kids, I'd never let them play with toy guns like I used to do as a kid. It really is hard to tell the toy guns from real ones. I think all toy guns should be painted in bright orange. But, I guess kids would just spray paint them anyway. Making them look like exact replicas of the real thing just shouldn't be happening.

Volimar

Ohio is open carry so why does it matter what state.A lot of the time when whites have weapon or not cops find a way to take them down without killing. Blacks never have that option and you know it.

I mean, the officer did shoot him. He just didn't die from his wounds. I get what you're trying to say, but I don't think this case is a good example of that.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
My following post sums it up.

"Lmfao, protest out of the way, quietly. That's worked so far right?"

Wanting a quiet, safe, out of the way protest is not change. It will allow things to the same. Which is why I said they believe nothing needs to change.

Didn't you say "let's put this guy in the ground". Yeah you're not helping anybody with that mentality.

combine42

Neo Member
Nice edit.

yes I edited it because I originally was in this thread posting go through the thread history. The first report from the family coroner said he was shot in the back while running away. The story died and the county coroner's report was not released until two months later which gave specific locations. The thing people are choosing to ignore was no one disputed that he was shot while running away.

As someone who teaches 13 year old middle school students every day... yes.

13 year olds are remarkably stupid about dealing with authority figures. Might be the most dangerous age.

Volimar

I'm choosing to trust what the grand jury decided with the evidence presented.

Oh you sweet summer child.

It's not the grand jury you should be looking at, it's the prosecutor. There's a saying in legal circles that basically goes that a prosecutor can get an indictment on a ham sandwich if he wants. If the prosecutor doesn't want to try the case, he'll present very weakly to the grand jury and then blame them for not getting an indictment.

I'm choosing to trust what the grand jury decided with the evidence presented.

grand jury's are terrible in these types of situations. Both Tamir Rice's killer and John Crawford's killer are both free as a bird right now living life to its fullest while they are rotting in cemeteries as constant reminders of how awful the american justice system is for black males.

As someone who teaches 13 year old middle school students every day... yes.

13 year olds are remarkably stupid about dealing with authority figures. Might be the most dangerous age.

13 year old me absolutely would pull a bb gun out cause I know I'm in trouble and am gonna give it to the cop and have no concept that he'd unload rounds in my chest just for having it or would actually perceive me as a threat.

13 year old me would be worried about my dad whooping my ass not a cop killing me.

combine42

Neo Member
Oh you sweet summer child.

It's not the grand jury you should be looking at, it's the prosecutor. There's a saying in legal circles that basically goes that a prosecutor can get an indictment on a ham sandwich if he wants. If the prosecutor doesn't want to try the case, he'll present very weakly to the grand jury and then blame them for not getting an indictment.

So it's the prosecutors fault then?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
They're not even going to change training or policy. The verdict is essentially that it's the kids fault for being black and playing in the area of the park reserved for playing.

Wrong case Stinkles.

Also, not surprised, the evidence didn't seem to fall in line with this being anything other than a justified shooting, though still sad to see the loss of life of someone so young for something so pointless.

RPGCrazied

Not surprising. Cops can murder, lets just get that out of the way. They always say they fear for their life, just an excuse to murder and get away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom