• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Columbus cops shoot and kill a 13 year old with a BB gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeolist

Banned
https://thinkprogress.org/tyree-king-1880b073e68#.wxusevjx3

Tyree King was one of three people who police say fit the description of a group of armed robbery suspects. On Wednesday night, a man reported that he was mugged by a group of people, and that one of the perpetrators had a gun. Soon after, police zeroed in on 13-year-old King and his friends.

King and one other immediately took off running when they saw officers approaching. A police statement claims that officers chased the runners and, when they caught up, tried to arrest them. That's when King allegedly pulled a gun out of his waistband — and an officer shot him “multiple times.”

The boy died after he was transported to a local hospital in critical condition. Authorities later discovered that King had been carrying a BB gun with a laser pointer.

Note: Ohio is an open carry state

Also I can't find a picture of this kid but the rate at which very young black kids are "mistaken" for adult suspects is insane to me

Starfield

He had a gun. Not a real gun but a gun. As a policer I think you wont think about wether or not that its a real gun.

A shame but also really unlucky.

aeolist

Banned
He had a gun. Not a real gun but a gun. As a policer I think you wont think about wether or not that its a real gun.

it's not illegal in ohio to openly carry a real gun

cops there need to be ready to deal with that and not shoot every person they see carrying

of course they already don't shoot armed white people

Shmuppers

We'll have to wait for the facts to come out, but I don't see how the officer wasn't justified in what he did if the kid drew a gun on him.

urge26

You pull a gun out whether fake or real, split decisions are made. Sad but guess what.... not a toy and won't be treated that way.

Amory

cops there need to be ready to deal with that and not shoot every person they see carrying

if you pull a gun on a police officer, you're almost definitely getting shot. open carry state or not.

reason for skepticism that he actually pulled the bb gun on them (i mean, what would be the point of that?), but if that's what really happened the outcome is hardly surprising

The story sets up the defense of the cops nicely.

Why would you ever freaking pull a gun in the presence of cops. Why why why. If it's what happened, god dammit. Also, it being at night it would be even harder to tell the difference between a real gun and a bb gun.

Was there any body-cam footage?

According to ShaunKing, no.

AxelFoley

Not having read the story, I'm guessing the kid was black. As we've seen, white folks can draw guns on cops and be brought in alive. A black child will be shot and killed on the spot. And we'll be told that he was no angel, or his father has a record, so there.

We'll have to wait for the facts to come out, but I don't see how the officer wasn't justified in what he did if the kid drew a gun on him.

I will also wait for the facts, but like the last two Ohio incidents (Tamir Rice and John Crawford), are we really supposed to believe that someone pulled a fake firearm on armed officers with the intent to fire?

The video didn't support the police account at all in those cases...and I'd argue that it just doesn't make sense for this to ever happen aside from people actually trying to suicide by cop.

Not having read the story, I'm guessing the kid was black. As we've seen, white folks can draw guns on cops and be brought in alive. A black child will be shot and killed on the spot. And we'll be told that he was no angel, or his father has a record, so there.

No sir, not always. Many white people have been shot and killed by cops.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

Armed robbery suspect with a gun who drew it on them when cops approached him.

I can see why cops reacted this way.

You pull a gun out whether fake or real, split decisions are made. Sad but guess what.... not a toy and won't be treated that way.
haven't you guys learned that the initial police report is almost always bullshit?

Shmuppers

Can you link me an example of this?

I will also wait for the facts, but like the last two Ohio incidents (Tamir Rice and John Crawford), are we really supposed to believe that someone pulled a fake firearm on armed officers with the intent to fire?

The video didn't support the police account at all in those cases...and I'd argue that it just doesn't make sense for this to ever happen aside from people actually trying to suicide by cop.
That's a really good point.

Lets wait for all the facts people. But unless some body cam footage shows the kid pulling out a gun in a threatening manner and pointing it at the police I think its safe to assume that the cops are full of shit.

Dai101

Banned

And taken to dinner.

Caelus

Pretty much sums it up. :(

NeonBlack

Armed robbery suspect with a gun who drew it on them when cops approached him.

I can see why cops reacted this way.

But he's 13, don't you find this kind harsh?

The officer shot him multiple times.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

I think you just hit the real issue on the manner. This stupid ass law just creates massive clusterfucks like this, far too many times. Where I believe the majority of people and Cops do not like it.

harSon

Banned
I'm struggling to understand why a 13 year old would pull a BB gun on a cop, but then again, I don't buy that story in the first place.

Enilced2

when they caught up, tried to arrest them. That's when King allegedly pulled a gun out of his waistband 

If this part is true which I have a hard time believing but if it is true then the cops response is correct regardless of the kids age

HeySeuss

This needs to stop. Just because Ohio is an open carry state does not mean someone can freely waive around a handgun without issue. It's supposed to be in a secured holster with the exception being rifles.

He allegedly pointed the gun that had a laser sight on it at the cop. Open carry does not allow you to do that, and in the evening hours there would have been no way the officer could have known it was a bb gun.

Tragic story all around, but make sure you understand the terms you throw around talking about open carry.

The Chief and the Mayor held a press conference about 45 minutes ago and it's on nbc4i.com on my mobile or I would link the video.

AxelFoley

No sir, not always. Many white people have been shot and killed by cops.

Haven't head about that lately. Hell, a whole gang of them trained their weapons on government agents at the Bundy Ranch and ain't jack shit happen to them. And I know I've heard about a white guy recently who either aimed at cops or shot at them and he was still brought in alive.

Glix

They have lost all credibility with me. (Police Departments)

I don't believe the report. It doesn't make sense.

kswiston

Seems hard to believe that anyone who knows they have a BB gun and not a real gun would threaten cops armed with real guns.

Who pulls out a fake gun to shoot a cop? A 13 year old isn't stupid enough to try and "scare" a cop away.

More likely they saw the gun, one of the hyper-pitched cops yelled "gun! gun!" and they unloaded on him.

enewtabie

https://thinkprogress.org/tyree-king-1880b073e68#.wxusevjx3

Note: Ohio is an open carry state

Also I can't find a picture of this kid but the rate at which very young black kids are "mistaken" for adult suspects is insane to me

There's a difference in open carry and pulling a gun and pointing towards an officer. If you open carry you wouldn't be pulling out a weapon in police vicinity unless you wanted to get shot. We'll have to see how this pans out. Hopefully, there is a body cam . As, for the bb gun, I've seen a robbery suspect pull one on an officer in pursuit only to get shot and killed. Don't ever point a fake gun at someone with a real one.

tkscz

The story sets up the defense of the cops nicely.

Why would you ever freaking pull a gun in the presence of cops. Why why why. If it's what happened, god dammit. Also, it being at night it would be even harder to tell the difference between a real gun and a bb gun.

According to ShaunKing, no.

If you have to ask this, you don't live in the type of place he does (not much different between Colombus and Cincinnati).

If what the cops says is true, it sucks but I'm used to that type of thing happening, even when the person is as young as 13. The friends are still a live so if they were lying, we'll find out.

Hazmat

I imagine in these cases the person never pulls it with the intent to fire, and the article doesn't claim that. Some people's gut instinct is the take the fake or BB weapon out to show that it's not real, which in its early stages looks just like drawing it to use it. It's a tragic mistake when the kid was probably just trying to show that it wasn't a real gun.

hoos30

I no longer give cops the benefit of the doubt, BUT if the facts lined up here (running, pulling out the BB gun) prove to be correct, I don't see that the police did the wrong thing in this case.

kswiston

dont bb guns in america have that orange tip on the barrel ?

BB guns are air pistols/rifles, not toy guns (which do have the orange tip). They fire a very small pellet, and are usually non-lethal to people unless you are very close and very unlucky.

I was accidentally shot by one once. I was about 20 yards away and it hurt but didn't break skin through my clothes.

Arkeband

Banned
I'm beginning to see a pattern with people supposedly pointing BB guns at officers and am starting to think it might not actually be happening.

It just doesn't make any sense from the victim's point of view to be happening with this regularity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom