• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Columbus cops shoot and kill a 13 year old with a BB gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

How about this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V9AOsWQzpc&bpctr=1473961370

Wasn't even a real gun.

Also, for those wondering. The first shot was from the female officers Taser which missed. It's why Tasers aren't used in all situations.

Wouldnt be surprised if the kid already knew enough to fear for his life so he ran. Then he was probably smart enough to know that he would get shot if they thought he had a gun so he tried to ditch it. And in the motion of reaching for it to get rid of it, the cops were even quicker putting him down. Unless I see video footage of the cops side of the story playing out, I refuse to believe a kid that would run away in fear had the balls to point a FAKE gun at the very people he was in fear of his life from. I know he was only 13 but I bet he was smart enough to know that would not end in him living which I will also bet he wanted to continue doing.

I'm curious how frequent these "incidents" would be if college degrees or full-time military experience were requirements for police officers. Also, considering that police wear body armor, should there be a "suspect must fire first" law? If we lose people on the force because of this, so be it. Thoughts?

Um police don't always wear body armor and suspects fire first should never be a rule. You are seriously saying police should wait until they get fired at before they respond?

What if the police don't take down a suspect after he pulls a gun and they wait for him to fire. The suspects first shot hits an innocent person and kills them. Did that person deserve to die?

You can argue for better training, but training can't solve all situations. Also, if college degrees or military experience were requirement for all police we would have a massive shortage of police or we would bankrupt most cities as they can't afford to pay police with those requirements enough to justify them wanting that job.

I swear a lot of posters on this forum surprise me sometimes.

I'm curious how frequent these "incidents" would be if college degrees or full-time military experience were requirements for police officers. Also, considering that police wear body armor, should there be a "suspect must fire first" law? If we lose people on the force because of this, so be it. Thoughts?

This is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

urge26

Given the rate at which police lie about what transpires in these situations, I'm not believing a word they say.

And of course there is no body cam footage, and the only person who can argue whether or not their story is true is dead (such convenience).

That utopia you live in must be lit.

The utopia of middle class mixed race neighborhood I live in where cops aren't ever called because people don't do stupid shit around me? You're damn right I'm lucky.

atr0cious

Um police don't always wear body armor and suspects fire first should never be a rule. You are seriously saying police should wait until they get fired at before they respond?

What if the police don't take down a suspect after he pulls a gun and they wait for him to fire. The suspects first shot hits an innocent person and kills them. Did that person deserve to die?

This exact shit happens when white people have guns.

http://wncn.com/2016/07/06/raleigh-man-fires-handgun-at-wake-county-deputy/

Literally the first result from googling "white man fires on cops."
The deputy was able to apprehend Ray and take him into custody.

“As a deputy, you don’t ever know what to expect when you’re approaching something like that, so your training kicks in,” Harrison said. “And of course when the gun came up, it was automatic to him to get that gun away from him, and he did exactly what he was supposed to.”

Fuck out of here. Cops are supposed to be heroes, not cowards. Sometimes heroes die, it sucks, but its a part of the fucking job and they get paid and insured and supposedly mentally trained to do it.

Soldiers in actual warzones are able to refrain from firing until fired upon.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The only way this kid is reaching for his BB gun is to fling it off of him. Before, one might would try to justify kids running because they're guilty. Now, you run to not get caught and stay alive, especially if you are black.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Can't wrap my head around why the kid would point the BB gun at the cops. Surely, even at his young age, he would be worldly enough to know how that would go down. Hard to take this one at face-value.

Also, open carry is a God damn joke. Indefensible nonsense. When everyone around you has got a gun visibly strapped to them, you're in a fucking war zone, regardless of everyone's intentions.

When it comes to police dealing wih minorities i'm basucally at the point where if there is no video I don't believe the police. Until they are all wearimg body cam and their is serious punishment "aka you are fired" if you forget to turn it on durimg an encounter I dont believe they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

This situation looks like bullshit. You'd have to be blimd to not see how sketchy.this is.

It disgusts me that the phrase that is instantly used and accepted is "drew a gun on cops." Does anyone, anyone, really think a 13-year-old is pointing a gun that he knows is a BB gun at the police? Do you think black kids are just that stupid? You're willing to accept he did that without question, what's his mindset for doing so?

I think, like Tamir Rice, he was trying to throw the gun away. That's if it happened that way at all. Why do we have to "wait for more info" to discredit the cop version, when their account is historically a lie? SMH.

Furthermore, he allegedly had it in his hand as he was running, aiming it back at the officer with his laser sight visible, which would lead the officer to believe he was going to shoot at him.
I do think you're a "good cop." Do you actually believe that horseshit?

tfur

No sir, not always. Many white people have been shot and killed by cops.

More white people are killed by cops than black people.

The fact is, the majority of police encounters do not end in death or violence for anyone. The media and other groups have pushed the narrative that every encounter is going to have you killed. I would imagine it is making people scared, especially people who are younger, thus people wrongly running from the police.

Running from the police unnecessarily and still playing with toy guns.

It's almost like some people don't own tvs.

I don't give a fuck that he is young and dumb. The fuck are you running for if you didn't do anything?

Smh, RIP.

stufte

This exact shit happens when white people have guns.

http://wncn.com/2016/07/06/raleigh-man-fires-handgun-at-wake-county-deputy/

Literally the first result from googling "white man fires on cops."

Fuck out of here. Cops are supposed to be heroes, not cowards. Sometimes heroes die, it sucks, but its a part of the fucking job and they get paid and insured and supposedly mentally trained to do it.

Cops are human beings. They aren't heroes by default. Life or death situations don't have the benefit of forethought and sometimes the wrong decision can be made.

You don't know how difficult it is, most people don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfi3Ndh3n-g

They are also able to call in airstrikes on military aged males carrying weapons if they believe they are the enemy and there may or may not be collateral damage. The military has a lot of leeway in what they determine to be a danger to them or their men.

Are people on this forum seriously trying to justify police waiting until fired upon every time before acting and are saying that the military uses it sometimes as the justification?

I don't give a fuck that he is young and dumb. The fuck are you running for if you didn't do anything?

Smh, RIP.
Maybe with the current state of things they were taught by friends or whoever that police are not there to help them and are afraid that police are out there to get them? So watching a TV of innocent unarmed people getting shot by police for doing nothing is supposed to make them not want to run?

Can't wrap my head around why the kid would point the BB gun at the cops. Surely, even at his young age, he would be worldly enough to know how that would go down.

Also, open carry is a God damn joke. Indefensible nonsense. When everyone around you has got a gun visibly strapped to them, you're in a fucking war zone, regardless of everyone's intentions.
Like you and other people can't seriously think of a reason? Ok what about maybe he thought he could scare away the cop? Maybe he thought that he could hit him in the eye or that a Bb gun is capable of hurting the cop enough to get away? Stupid reasons yes but in the heat of the moment with the mental capacity of a child making bad decisions isn't exactly out of the question. I swear some of you think that because of all the coverage lately that the first thing going through this kids head was "I'm black and have a gun, I better throw it away before I get shot on accident". That was probably the furthest thing from his mind. Wait for more facts but the absolute denial at the idea of a kid doing something dumb is baffling.

atr0cious

Cops are human beings. They aren't heroes by default. Life or death situations don't have the benefit of forethought and sometimes the wrong decision can be made.

This doesn't excuse them when they kill people for no reason other than fear. They should get consequences, instead they get a pat on the back, smelted gold coins in their honor celebrating their kills, and worshipped by a majority of society. This was a fucking 7th grader, the cops could've easily taken care of the kid, even using the hand to hand training they supposedly get. Nope, gun him down like a coward.

No. What's a worse idea is continuing our current system. I'd rather have no police force than this BS.

If this was the case, you'd see such an enormous rise in crime. Criminals would know they would have a greater chance of getting away with crime if there is no force allowed ever. Plus a lot more people would get hurt.

Get out of here with your logic. Seriously, I can't understand why people don't understand how complicated this stuff is.

Also, I would love to see the world without police like some on GAF want.

You can argue for better training, but training can't solve all situations. Also, if college degrees or military experience were requirement for all police we would have a massive shortage of police or we would bankrupt most cities as they can't afford to pay police with those requirements enough to justify them wanting that job.

Why not wear body armor? Whose choice is that? And how is a fire-first rule any different than standard rules of engagement? Legit question.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games

Smh, RIP.

What the hell are you talking about? He was running from the police who were wrongfully trying to arrest him for a crime he had no involvement in, and most likely fearing for his life because he knew they would think that BB Gun was a real gun and try and kill him for it.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

The fact is, the majority of police encounters do not end in death or violence for anyone. The media and other groups have pushed the narrative that every encounter is going to have you killed. I would imagine it is making people scared, especially people who are younger, thus people wrongly running from the police.

So the rate at which American police officers resort to violence (lethal and otherwise) is acceptable? "The majority of encounters don't end in death or violence" isn't a compelling deflection.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/09/the-counted-police-killings-us-vs-other-countries

Fact: In the first 24 days of 2015, police in the US fatally shot more people than police did in England and Wales, combined, over the past 24 years.

kswiston

Black people are 13% of the population. White People are over 60%.

Here are the rates of people killed by cops (per million Americans) by race last year:

Black - 7.13
Latino - 3.48
Native - 3.40
White - 2.91
Asian - 1.34

So black people are close to 2.5x more likely to be killed by cops. I can't quickly find any stats about unarmed people killed by cops, but I would assume that is higher as well for black Americans.

Well with how many completely innocent black people get killed for doing absolutely nothing, I don't blame him running away.

People in here defending the logic of him running from the cops for no reason, but enforcing the absolute implausibility of the same kid pulling the fake BB gun.

Like you and other people can't seriously think of a reason? Ok what about maybe he thought he could scare away the cop? Maybe he thought that he could hit him in the eye or that a Bb gun is capable of hurting the cop enough to get away? Stupid reasons yes but in the heat of the moment with the mental capacity of a child making bad decisions isn't exactly out of the question. I swear some of you think that because of all the coverage lately that the first thing going through this kids head was "I'm black and have a gun, I better throw it away before I get shot on accident". That was probably the furthest thing from his mind. Wait for more facts but the absolute denial at the idea of a kid doing something dumb is baffling.

So, instead of "I better throw this gun away," you think it's more likely the black kid was thinking about having a standoff with the cops or shooting him in the eye with a BB gun. Huh.

stufte

Then they should be treated like all humans and tried for murder.

I think that independent investigations should be done, as the current system can lead to cops protecting cops, but that doesn't mean that every time someone dies at the hands of the police that they are automatically murderers.

Shmuppers

What the hell are you talking about? He was running from the police who were wrongfully trying to arrest him for a crime he had no involvement in, and most likely fearing for his life because he knew they would think that BB Gun was a real gun and try and kill him for it.

You should wait for the facts to come out. He very well could have robbed that person.

Cagey

Banned
I don't care if the kid took out a fake gun to toss away. I don't care if the kid drew a fake gun. I don't much care even if the kid drew a real gun.

Too many police officers lack training and restraint and intelligence to diagnose these situations and resolve them. I don't claim to have to the requisite skills either but I'm also not a god damn officer so it's not expected of me. They act not to diffuse a situation but ensure their own survival and that mindset makes it easier to eliminate perceived threats than to neutralize them. We hold them to such low standards when military and ex-military scoff at these untrained undisciplined messes.

Too many could be 0.1% or 80.1% of the force. I don't know. I don't pretend to know. I do know whatever percentage it is, those ones are unfit and need to be removed.

I would like to know more about the robbery suspects the police were pursuing when they ambushed and terrified this group of children. Were they looking for children?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom