• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Columbus cops shoot and kill a 13 year old with a BB gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, instead of "I better throw this gun away," you think it's more likely the black kid was thinking about having a standoff with the cops or shooting him in the eye with a BB gun. Huh.
Did I say it logical or a rational choice? Yeah lets pretend human beings are incapable of doing completely stupid stuff. Especially kids. That's more believable then what I said apparently.
Also I didn't say "more likely" so thanks for putting words in my mouth. I said that there are reasons why someone may point a bb gun at a cop in response to the complete denial at the possibility of it ever happening.

urge26

I got a DUI when I was 21. When I saw myself getting lit up behind me I knew I was instantly fucked. What did I do? I pulled over and fucking complied. I will teach my girls the same thing. Do I think there's racist cops out there targeting blacks? Absolutely. Do I believe there are Ohio cops out there targeting children to flat out kill? Hell no. You can say what you want, don't care. I was very vocal on the killing of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile. And if I were African American, I'd fucking teach my kids to never run from the cops, and to fucking comply to everything just to stay alive.

There are tons of great cops. Stop bashing them All
I agree there are tons of great cops. So many that would take a bullet for a complete stranger no matter the color of their skin. The problem is people still believe an official story put out by the cops even after being shown that time and time again, the official stories have been straight up lies to protect themselves. Instead immediately take their word for it that a 13 year old kid commited suicide by cop. Im with the wait for the facts crowd but I am waiting for the facts to prove the innocence of the officers, not the guilt of a child.

aeolist

Banned
I got a DUI when I was 21. When I saw myself getting lit up behind me I knew I was instantly fucked. What did I do? I pulled over and fucking complied. I will teach my girls the same thing. Do I think there's racist cops out there targeting blacks? Absolutely. Do I believe there are Ohio cops out there targeting children to flat out kill? Hell no. You can say what you want, don't care. I was very vocal on the killing of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile. And if I were African American, I'd fucking teach my kids to never run from the cops, and to fucking comply to everything just to stay alive.

it literally doesn't matter, there's plenty of cases when black people perfectly comply and do everything they're supposed to and still get shot

not to mention the fact that a) it's the responsibility of police to not shoot people who shouldn't be shot and b) the fact that we have to treat cops like potentially rabid dogs in every situation is completely fucked

Senoculum

What the hell are you talking about? He was running from the police who were wrongfully trying to arrest him for a crime he had no involvement in, and most likely fearing for his life because he knew they would think that BB Gun was a real gun and try and kill him for it.

Not that I think Tyree King was wrong for running at the moment. But it's largely telling the culture that encourages youth to run away from cops who are seeking real suspects.

If only the cops didn't look so intimidating as they approached. If only the kids could stay calm and talk themselves out of it. If only he didn't have a BB gun. If only the gun culture wasn't as fucked.

It's just tragic all around.

America, you have to clean up your own house.

stufte

This doesn't excuse them when they kill people for no reason other than fear. They should get consequences, instead they get a pat on the back, smelted gold coins in their honor celebrating their kills, and worshipped by a majority of society. This was a fucking 7th grader, the cops could've easily taken care of the kid, even using the hand to hand training they supposedly get. Nope, gun him down like a coward.

Yes there should be consequences, I agree that police are often let off in instances where they should *at very least* be removed from active duty for the psychological effects of killing another human. But lets not pretend that (if the police account of this is correct) that ANYONE would choose "hand to hand" training to resolve what (according to them) was a firearm about to be used against them. Shit is complicated man.

urge26

it literally doesn't matter, there's plenty of cases when black people perfectly comply and do everything they're supposed to and still get shot

not to mention the fact that a) it's the responsibility of police to not shoot people who shouldn't be shot and b) the fact that we have to treat cops like potentially rabid dogs in every situation is completely fucked

Kids? can you link facts please.

kmfdmpig

This doesn't excuse them when they kill people for no reason other than fear. They should get consequences, instead they get a pat on the back, smelted gold coins in their honor celebrating their kills, and worshipped by a majority of society. This was a fucking 7th grader, the cops could've easily taken care of the kid, even using the hand to hand training they supposedly get. Nope, gun him down like a coward.

If the cop is lying about the 13 year old pulling out the gun then he should absolutely be prosecuted.

If, however, the 13 year old did pull out a gun then the fact that he's younger (which is not something that is always apparent as plenty of 13 year old children are tall enough to pass as adults from a short distance) does not make him less of a threat if he has a gun. The argument that it's not a real gun doesn't really work as it sure looks like a real gun.

The victim's age makes this even more of a tragedy than it would be, but does not change the basic issue of whether the cop thought he was acting in self-defense. I don't see any reason why any cop would engage with someone with a drawn gun using hand to hand techniques.

Obviously, if the cop is lying then that changes the situation altogether and should lead to a prosecution (although if recent history is a guide it likely won't lead to a conviction, unfortunately).

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

That's fine and all but we need to get past the point where we treat interactions with police officers the same way we treat interactions with a wild bear. Incomplete compliance should not constitute lethal retribution.

Tamir Rice never got the opportunity to comply.

I imagine in these cases the person never pulls it with the intent to fire, and the article doesn't claim that. Some people's gut instinct is the take the fake or BB weapon out to show that it's not real, which in its early stages looks just like drawing it to use it. It's a tragic mistake when the kid was probably just trying to show that it wasn't a real gun.

I've yet to see an high-profile case where this actually happened. As I mentioned, in both of the previous cases, it was shown that Tamir Rice was killed in a virtual drive-by, and that John Crawford was executed on sight. And yet, in both cases, officers claimed that the firearm had been pulled on them/aimed at them (and in the case of Crawford, that he again reached for the firearm after having been shot to the ground).

This is why police cams are so important - they reduce the level of ambiguity and unreliable witnesses. And they reduce false reports against the police, which you'd think more officers would be for. Skepticism of the "official story" will always be the default when they've been caught with their pants down so often.

tfur

So the rate at which American police officers resort to violence (lethal and otherwise) is acceptable? "The majority of encounters don't end in death or violence" isn't a compelling deflection.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/09/the-counted-police-killings-us-vs-other-countries

It is not a deflection. It is a fact that most encounters do not end in violence. It is higher in the US, since we have higher rates of violent crime, and crime in general.

Black people are 13% of the population. White People are over 60%.

Here are the rates of people killed by cops (per million Americans) by race last year:

Black - 7.13
Latino - 3.48
Native - 3.40
White - 2.91
Asian - 1.34

So black people are close to 2.5x more likely to be killed by cops. I can't quickly find any stats about unarmed people killed by cops, but I would assume that is higher as well for black Americans.

True, now post the statistics for rates of assorted crimes (for example robberies, homicides etc) for each race you listed. Having higher rates of crimes for any particular group by definition leads to higher rates of interaction with the offenders.

aeolist

Banned

1) cops routinely mistake young black kids for adults

2) tamir rice (this isn't even an example of someone complying and getting shot because he was given no orders to follow and no time to follow them, it was just a drive by)

urge26

That's fine and all but we need to get past the point where we treat interactions with police officers the same way we treat interactions with a wild bear. Incomplete compliance should not constitute lethal retribution.

It's unfortunate, but have you seen any politician do something to curb this? As a parent, my concern would be to stay alive.

I'd like to note that neither this story nor the source it links to state that the boy ever pointed the gun at police or did anything threatening with it beyond removing it from his waistband. Please keep that in mind when speculating about a child attempting to threaten a group of police officers with his BB gun.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
You should wait for the facts to come out. He very well could have robbed that person.

While that may be true, it seems unlikely at this point that he had anything to do with it. According to the AP:

"The male who had been with Tyree was interviewed and released pending further investigation, police said. They provided no further information about him.

Police said additional suspects were being sought as the shooting and reported robbery remained under investigation."

kirblar

So the rate at which American police officers resort to violence (lethal and otherwise) is acceptable? "The majority of encounters don't end in death or violence" isn't a compelling deflection.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/09/the-counted-police-killings-us-vs-other-countries
As long as the US has incredibly lax gun laws, our police will kill more people because of it. It's a direct, rational, response to our shitty 2nd amendment's interpretation.

That doesn't mean the current ratios are ok, that every shooting is justified/acceptable/etc.

NastyBook

This post is the epitome of out of touch. Fucking police shot the caretaker of a mentally ill patient while he was lying on the ground, complying with the officer's EVERY order. Shot him anyway, then cuffed him, then let him bleed for 30 minutes after that. But go ahead and keep telling us how we should raise our kids, Parent of the Year.

I look forward to the day in which there's body cams on every Police officer so we can tell the loud mouths who scream "I didn't do nuthin...." to STFU because they got what they deserved and then hammer down on the cops who overreacted against an innocent person.

urge26

1) cops routinely mistake young black kids for adults

2) tamir rice (this isn't even an example of someone complying and getting shot because he was given no orders to follow and no time to follow them, it was just a drive by)

You're making broad statements. Tamir Rice is one case. You say there are "plenty" out there. By plenty what are we talking about percentage wise? Again, I'm not justifying police actions. But you don't know that child DIDN'T pull a weapon out on that cop, as much as we know he did.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
If the cop is lying about the 13 year old pulling out the gun then he should absolutely be prosecuted.

If, however, the 13 year old did pull out a gun then the fact that he's younger (which is not something that is always apparent as plenty of 13 year old children are tall enough to pass as adults from a short distance) does not make him less of a threat if he has a gun. The argument that it's not a real gun doesn't really work as it sure looks like a real gun.

The victim's age makes this even more of a tragedy than it would be, but does not change the basic issue of whether the cop thought he was acting in self-defense. I don't see any reason why any cop would engage with someone with a drawn gun using hand to hand techniques.

Obviously, if the cop is lying then that changes the situation altogether and should lead to a prosecution (although if recent history is a guide it likely won't lead to a conviction, unfortunately).

Especially if the child in question is black amirite?

Black Boys Viewed as Older, Less Innocent Than Whites, Research Finds

urge26

This post is the epitome of out of touch. Fucking police shot the caretaker of a mentally ill patient while he was lying on the ground, complying with the officer's EVERY order. Shot him anyway, then cuffed him, then let him bleed for 30 minutes after that. But go ahead and keep telling us how we should raise our kids, Parent of the Year.

And what will you tell your children there NastyBook? Do you have options to play with?

aeolist

Banned
You're making broad statements. Tamir Rice is one case. You say there are "plenty" out there. By plenty what are we talking about percentage wise? Again, I'm not justifying police actions. But you don't know that child DIDN'T pull a weapon out on that cop, as much as we know he did.

i know that every time this has happened in my memory the official police story has been a total fabrication

so no, i don't know that he didn't pull a weapon, but i'm pretty damn sure that the cops are lying fucks

it's not illegal in ohio to openly carry a real gun

cops there need to be ready to deal with that and not shoot every person they see carrying

of course they already don't shoot armed white people

It says he pulled the gun out...no offense but I would have shot as well. Having it on you and pulling it out when cops are trying to arrest you are different things.

Cops "He pointed his gun at us"
General Public "We believe you no worries"

Kaep "I'm not standing for the anthem to protest police treatmentbof POC"
General Public "This isn't even a problem. We don't believe you"

kmfdmpig

Tamir Rice's killer is laughing at you.

Cops lie and should absolutely be prosecuted when they do.

Body cams should be used at all times and not made so they can be disabled. Police that tamper with body cams should be disciplined severely.

With that said, some instances of policy lying =/= everything any cop says is a lie and that we should automatically dismiss what they say. Staying skeptical, wanting more information, etc... is very reasonable. Dismissing the potential that they may be telling the truth seems unreasonable.

Kettch

Yeah, I'm sure he pulled the gun on them just like Tamir Rice did.

Oh, who am I kidding, the same people probably think both shootings were justified.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

True. But, in this particular case the kid ran and pulled his gun when the cops tried to arrest him. IMO the officer was right to use lethal force.

why do you believe the cops?

I'm not saying I do. I am just stating if HE DID pull a gun out I would have shot as well. If they made it up then screw them and let them burn for being crooked asshats. I should have specified in my original post I wasn't "siding" with them or anything.

The Beard

does it matter? No, its a fucking open carry state, unless of, you are, in fact heavy on the melanin.

Open carry doesn't allow you to reach for your gun while cops are trying to detain you though. So, I don't know what your point is pertaining to this particular incident.

However, the only thing we know is what the cops have told us. Which means it could very well be a bullshit story. I find it very hard to believe that anyone would be stupid enough to pull a BB gun on an officer. This is why police cameras need to be 100% mandatory.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
It is not a deflection. It is a fact that most encounters do not end in violence. It is higher in the US, since we have higher rates of violent crime, and crime in general.

Gotcha. So American police are just out there doing their best to keep the most lawless, savage population of degenerates on the planet in line.

Incarceration rates are higher than any other nation on earth. Violent crime has been consistently trending downwards over the past couple decades. Again, it's just not compelling to imply that this is all manufactured hysteria. It happens more here than any other "first-world" nation. Full stop. That's a real issue. It's not paranoia.

Shmuppers

Now there is some damn irony. You are the one who just told me that the dead kid might have robbed that other guy when absolutely nothing proves that guilt.

I said that you, I, and everyone should wait for the facts to come out. "Very well could have" not "he did".

I see why you would think that though

M.J. Doja

Banned
Is it that easy to assume the kid was "Stupid enough at 13 years old to point a fake gun at a police officer that chased him down"? Seems like some of you were never kids if you think thats how a 13 year old thinks.

I think it's easier to assume that this was another trigger happy cop.

Black people are 13% of the population. White People are over 60%.

Here are the rates of people killed by cops (per million Americans) by race last year:

Black - 7.13
Latino - 3.48
Native - 3.40
White - 2.91
Asian - 1.34

So black people are close to 2.5x more likely to be killed by cops. I can't quickly find any stats about unarmed people killed by cops, but I would assume that is higher as well for black Americans.
FYI it's worth acknowledging a recent study done by a harvard professor that says that blacks are not more likely to be killed by cops.

Bluenoser

Let's not ignore the fact that a 13 year old is wandering around at night with a BB gun. I mean, what was the reason he had that gun to begin with? It's not a real gun but it's still dangerous, and it is relevant, because he was definitely not using it to hunt squirrels.

Cops should definitely not be given the benefit of the doubt, based on what we've seen over the past year, but we need more details to judge this incident.

Are we really supposed to believe that the kid pulled his BB gun on a cop?! He had to know he'd be shot dead for such a pointless action. Smells like total fucking horseshit to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom