• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Columbus cops shoot and kill a 13 year old with a BB gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shmuppers

Cincinnati, Columbus and Cleveland have laws restricting air guns and pellet guns. Fox 19-WXIX explains Cincinnati classifies airsoft guns as "dangerous weapons" that cannot be used in public, and the guns cannot be sold within 1,000 feet of a school. Cleveland and Columbus prohibit pellet guns in public spaces. Nowhere is there a limit on who can buy pellet guns or what minimum age a customer must be to purchase airsoft guns in Ohio.

Happy?

That law pertains to airsoft guns, which is explicitly not what the kid had. Could also be disputed as to if the place where he pulled the BB gun out was a "public space"

Euphor!a

Banned
That law pertains to airsoft guns, which is explicitly not what the kid had. Could also be disputed as to if the place where he pulled the BB gun out was a "public space"

No, it pertains to airsoft and pellet guns. Which is what a BB gun is, don't be dense.

urge26

The BB gun only became an issue after the police targetted the group for fitting a profile. And apprently the police said they were innocent so what the fuck are you talking about? You don't know anything about those kids lives or their circumstances. So who are you to play this higher than thou shit about a dead kid?

Facts are the kid got killed there Gotdatmoney. This is a discussion, not me saying my opinion is fact. I'm also entitled to give my opinion.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I do not even know what this sentence means.

If you bringing up (steadily declining) violent crime rates wasn't an attempt to excuse the rate of killings by American police, then I do not even know what the point of bringing that up was.

I believe we have ~1000 people killed by police a year. Here just traffic stops show 26 million plus contacts with police no incident. Of course all incidents should be reviewed, but most are not an issue or lead to death.

We know most police encounters don't end in death. We also know that far too many of them do.

Edit: didn't see that ban coming... must've missed something.

The Beard

Are you an expert on Ohio law? Can you please direct me to where it says that carrying a BB gun at night is illegal?

For the sake of this argument, you kind of have to drop the whole BB gun angle. It looks exactly like a real gun. There is no way to distinguish it from a real gun. The carrier of the weapon doesn't have a neon sign on his chest that says "BB Gun" or "Real Gun".

So, is it illegal to carry around an unholstered handgun in an open carry State?

Facts are the kid got killed there Gotdatmoney. This is a discussion, not me saying my opinion is fact. I'm also entitled to give my opinion.

What you are saying in response to carrying a BB gun is not a crime is "blah blah blah you put yourself in this position blah blah I'm a good parent and wouldn't let that happen." You are putting out the definition of victim blaming a child in a specific instance without the slightest idea of why they were in that situation. I'm calling it out because its disgusting.

BioHazard

The police and the officer involved have countless incentives to protect themselves.

The other party in this situation is a dead kid.

Matching up the incentives to defend yourself... the cops win out. So I am naturally suspicious of them.

If police can't handle the pressure of needing to provide as much proof as possible of a reasonable motivation for shooting someone, they're gigantic wusses not deserving of respect.

They're ostensibly here to protect us, so our expectations of them should be high. This need to coddle them from criticism, to shout down anyone who is suspicious of them, only empowers them to behave poorly in a role that should be handled with the utmost care.

Yes, it's a hard job. This is one of the things that makes it hard. If they want respect, they need to suck it up and consider reactions like this the cost of doing business. Otherwise, go join an PMC or some shit if you want to go around killing people under shady circumstances.

Yeah. To the dead child. For the authority figure who is allowed to apply lethal force in ways that normal citizens cannot, there needs to be incredibly high standards.

Very well said

No, I think if you want to craft a narrative you can do it yourself. Feel free to make the argument that the cop knew he was over 18 and provide the evidence of that in this specific case.

There's no evidence in this specific case that a gun was pointed at the officer. There are actual studies about the perception of black children as more mature/older than they are whereas studies on people cornered by officers pulling out guns they know are fake are scant.

BigDes

What actually happens in the US to police officers who shoot people?

Like in the UK they get investigated even if the shooting was obviously justified. The officer is also removed from front line duty and often made to get counselling for it.

Does any of that happen in the USA?

aeolist

Banned
"sure the evidence shows a systemic bias that drastically affects outcomes for black people, but you need to prove that it applies in this specific case!"

quantum racism strikes again

rjinaz

you people who automatically assume the cop is guilty aren't helping

Person with authority. Person that carries a gun at all times. Person that's literal job is to protect the citizens. Person that will have the city, state, police institution, police union, law, and even the sympathy of the jury behind them.

Forgive me for assuming a police officer is automatically guilty on the internet. Somebody needs to think of the police officers in America!

Shmuppers

Yeah. To the dead child. For the authority figure who is allowed to apply lethal force in ways that normal citizens cannot, there needs to be incredibly high standards.

I agree with you. I am not defending the cop's decision making ability, that comment was aimed more towards those that are so quick to assume that the cop was entirely at fault without all of the facts out yet.

No what I said was him thinking about throwing the gun away because of the social/political climate of the country was probably the furthest thing from his mind. Context is important seeing as some of the posts before mine were saying he wouldn't point a fake gun at a police officer because he would know that's a death sentence due to all the media coverage certain incidents have been getting. If I had said that "throwing the gun away" and stopped there then you'd have a point. He may have been attempting to throw the gun away for all we know but it likely would of been for different reasons then the one I stated above. Not all actions are performed with the same motives.
Fair enough. I don't think he was throwing it away due to the social/political climate either, but because he was being chased by a police officer. "I'll toss this" just seems more likely to be the real action rather than "I'll turn and scare the officer away or maybe hit him in the eye with a BB."

I'm still criticizing that many people's first instinct is to figure out how the black child contributed to his own death, rather than to disbelieve what a police officer says.

digdug2k

Draw? As in stand your ground and prepare to shoot? No. But draw as in take out to throw aside or prove to a pursuing officer that it wasn't real? I could buy that, especially if it's being done in a moment of panic. At this point in time, knowing what we know, I can't fault the officer for not being able to distinguish between the two scenarios.

About the only thing I can say with certainty at this point is that it's tragic that another young kid is dead and that we absolutely need the police to be wearing functional body cams while on duty.
Seriously? You suggesting the kid was saying "Hey its not real, let me toss it aside" and the officer still shot him, and you can't fault the officer for that?

I agree with you. I am not defending the cop's decision making ability, that comment was aimed more towards those that are so quick to assume that the cop was entirely at fault without all of the facts out yet.

I think it's more about not believing their story because they are highly likely cast a narrative that protects them. The kid is dead, and so they can especially say what they please. And they will.

Why are people giving cops the benefit of the doubt? They are know to lie and literally make stuff up to fit their narratives. More likely they just shot the kid because he ran and then said he drew on them.

BigDes

Bodycams will only work if they are constantly uploading the data to a server that the cops do not know the location off that is maintained by people with a healthy skepticism of the police.

As they are know it is too easy for them to run out of battery or fall off or gosh darn it it just didn't record this time how weird.

I'm 100% sure this kid kmows that pullng a non lethal weapon shaped like a gun on police is how you de in America.

Which is why I cant believe that hed do it.

So we've got people defending the cops despite the fact this has happened twice in the past and we later found out the cops lied both times?

Amazing

Shmuppers

Why?

This happens, this happens so obviously and often and is so well protected that cops can actually show videos that contradict what they say and still not come to any discipline for it.

I can accept that it happens, as it is well documented as you said. It just bums me out because I've always had a high opinion of police officers.

For context, I'm white and have had very little interaction with them, so I guess that's why I would think that.

Fair enough. I don't think he was throwing it away due to the social/political climate either, but because he was being chased by a police officer. "I'll toss this" just seems more likely to be the real action rather than "I'll turn and scare the officer away or maybe hit him in the eye with a BB."

I'm still criticizing that many people's first instinct is to figure out how the black child contributed to his own death, rather than to disbelieve what a police officer says.
And tossing the weapon probably was the more likely action. However that doesn't mean it was impossible that he'd be dumb enough to point the bb gun at the cop. Maybe he was trying to toss the gun? Maybe he made a really bad choice? Or hell maybe it's none of the above and the cop caught a glimpse of the weapon in his waistband and opened fire. I don't know what the truth is so it's best to wait for more answers. At the same time I'm not going to sit here and outright deny that one of those scenarios above happened either. What does tunnel vision ever accomplish?

Goliath

As a kid growing up in the 80s my mother fought to never allow me to play with toy guns. It took some fighting just to get a super soaker. Heck even my GI Joes were forced to fight hand to hand. Her concern was that a cop might mistake it for a real gun and shoot me. I thought it was silly at the time. Now looking back.....not so silly.

Does "innocent until proven guilty" apply here?

Already been pointed out, but this luxury is rarely afforded to the people who are killed and can't tell their version of the story. They are summarily judged and executed on the spot.

People keep saying this like it matters. Did he have an open carry license? No? Then it was illegal. Just like carrying a bb gun that looks like a real gun.

Open carry means that cops logically have to ask you for your license in order to determine if your visible firearm is legal. You cannot simultaneously hold the position that the perpetrator looked like an adult suspect and that he was a child who obviously didn't have a license to carry. Firing on someone for simply carrying in an open-carry state is a violation of their civil rights.

Even the gun nuts of Ohio agree.

Hydrus

Fucking hell! This is the bb gun the kid had. Can you seriously blame the cops when somebody pulls this out. Who ever is the maker of this thing should get sued to hell!

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/15/us/ohio-columbus-police-kill-teen/

160915115913-13-yo-shot-by-cop-exlarge-169.jpg

PopeReal

And until I see a video (if I suppose, hopefully a business security camera caught it), I am not buying that a kid pulled out a bb gun to fight the cops. Anything is possible, but no way would I buy just the words of cops who killed him. We have been down this road before. Show me some proof.

:(

That's hard for me to accept.
You best start believing in ghost stories.
And tossing the weapon probably was the more likely action. However that doesn't mean it was impossible that he'd be dumb enough to point the bb gun at the cop. Maybe he was trying to toss the gun? Maybe he made a really bad choice? Or hell maybe it's none of the above and the cop caught a glimpse of the weapon in his waistband and opened fire. I don't know what the truth is so it's best to wait for more answers. At the same time I'm not going to sit here and outright deny that one of those scenarios above happened either. What does tunnel vision ever accomplish?
You don't see that trying to figure out some narrative where it's the black kid's overt fault he was shot isn't just another kind of tunnel vision? We "wait for more answers," but meanwhile here's why the cop is probably right to kill him. Why are we (as a society) trying so hard to immediately believe what the cop says, despite all the video evidence of lying? I don't think people automatically believe what politicians say, what corporations claim, etc.

Why were they targeting a 13 year old in the first place?

Yeah, about that. Reposted for new page:

People keep saying this like it matters. Did he have an open carry license? No? Then it was illegal. Just like carrying a bb gun that looks like a real gun.

Open carry means that cops logically have to ask you for your license in order to determine if your visible firearm is legal. You cannot simultaneously hold the position that the perpetrator looked like an adult suspect and that he was a child who obviously didn't have a license to carry. Firing on someone for simply carrying in an open-carry state is a violation of their civil rights.

Even the gun nuts of Ohio agree.

The Beard

It is legal to open carry real guns there, so why does this matter?

Open carry means you can legally have a gun on you if it's holstered and in plain sight. It doesn't mean you can carry it around in your hand, or conceal it, and you most definitely cannot reach for it, or pull it on an officer when they're trying to detain you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom