• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comedian guest on TheBreakfastClub Radio show says he'd kill a transgender person

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
http://thegrapevine.theroot.com/breakfastclubboycott-trends-after-lil-duval-jokes-abou-1797389394

The Breakfast Club is forever its own ”Donkey of the Day," and after having transgender author Janet Mock on the show, and praising her for her work, the show turned around and let a guest make jokes about transgender women being killed.

Comedian Lil Duval appeared on the show and spoke about what would happen if he unknowingly met a transgender woman.
”She dying," Duval said.

When show co-host Charlamagne tha God told Duval that he can't go around killing transgender women, he went on to say that he didn't say he was going to kill one.

Activist April Reign ignited the #BreakfastClubBoycott, calling out the show for allowing Duval's transphobic remarks on the air:

Why do they even give this fuckboi a platform to yell his shit?

About Duval

Duval is well known for starting the Twitter trend #itaintrape which has gained popularity ever since. In 2010, Duval tweeted: ”#itaintrape if u naked of Yo Twitter profile pic", ”#itaintrape if I'm paying child support", ”Lmao RT @MrCashFanatic: @lilduval #itaintrape if she doesn't remember it."

Duval is also known for coining the term "basic bitch".[citation needed]

Duval is also known for the term "Wat Dat Mouf Do?". He released his first solo single and music video on April 1, 2014 entitled "Wat Dat Mouf Do?" featuring Trae tha Truth. He also made popular the term "rich broke" which is the name he uses for his clothing line.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I don't get the outrage at BC. Since when is censorship the best option?

Imma let someone else take this one.

200.gif

Trash people like Duval needs to get confronted in person if they want to spread hate.

I'm tired of seeing Charlemagne's interviews get shared especially when he has hoteps on.

Do you think its better to give a soapbox to someone who supports killing trans people?

It was in the midst of an interview, they had no idea his answer before they asked. Duval is a comedian, he probably said it jokingly, but it's an awful joke to say when it's a big problem that Transgendered people face. Especially in light of a a very recent case of a Transgendered person being stabbed over 100 times by a heterosexual man.

rambis

Banned
Do you think its better to give a soapbox to someone who supports killing trans people?

I watched the interview friday, it had nothing to do with trangenders or LGBTs. They asked him about the Trump military ban and he said he's not comfortable talking about them. CTG as per his schtick then baited him into a scenario where someone he was having sex with someone who turns out to be Trans and he said he would probably kill her. There was no greater connotation then that and you could easily see CTG baiting him.

I knew it was a headliner quote for those looking for those but you can't take 95% of what Duval says seriously.

WarLox

This article went out of its way to leave out the fact he was talking about what would happen if he had sex with a woman, and after sex, she told him she was a trans person.

He didnt say he would kill a trans person if he met one.

Present all the facts and allow people to find their own outrage.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Notice the only time BC and Charlemagne are in the news is because they are being pronlematic
They're fucking trolls. They're the black version of Tommy Lombardi, they want people to get mad as hell so that people calling it out can spread their shit all over social media.

This article went out of its way to leave out the fact he was talking about what would happen if he had sex with a woman, and after sex, she told him she was a trans person.

Thanks for clarifying that the violence towards trans people should be contextualized!

Ivan 3414

I was listening to a hip-hop station on SiriusXM and one of the DJs was talking about how he didn't give a fuck about trans people not serving in the military and that he didn't want to serve his country next to a monster or some shit

We talk a good game about how hip-hop isn't as homophobic/transphobic but we still have a loooooong way to go

Keyouta

This doesn't make it better.

I watched the interview friday, it had nothing to do with trangenders or LGBTs. They asked him about the Trump military ban and he said he's not comfortable talking about them. CTG as per his schtick then baited him into a scenario where someone he was having sex with someone who turns out to be Trans and he said he would probably kill her. There was no greater connotation then that and you could easily see CTG baiting him.

I knew it was a headliner quote for those looking for those but you can't take 95% of what Duval says seriously.

97%. That dude is in character 99% of the time.

I listened to the interview and a couple of times, and if I remember right, they tried to get him to tone it down and he just double downed and said he wasn't going to be politically correct.

He's an idiot.

MoeDabs

It was in the midst of an interview, they had no idea his answer before they asked. Duval is a comedian, he probably said it jokingly, but it's an awful joke to say when it's a big problem that Transgendered people face. Especially in light of a a very recent case of a Transgendered person being stabbed over 100 times by a heterosexual man.

Transgender. Not Transgendered

Ivan 3414

Also fuck The Breakfast Club, especially Charlemagne, and their duplicitous bullshit when they were smiling in the face of a trans women they had on the show not one week before, when she was talking about trans issues

Risible

Yes, we should all rush to defend someone who tweeted "#itaintrape if I’m paying child support"

rambis

Banned
I listened to the interview and a couple of times, and if I remember right, they tried to get him to tone it down and he just double downed and said he wasn't going to be politically correct.

He's an idiot.

He is an idiot but he clearly said he didn't want to talk about the subject and Charlemagne clearly was baiting him to say something.

Andrin

Context is indeed important, but in this case it changes nothing. Trans Panic is absolutely disgusting, and the fact that his first response, jokingly or not, is to immediately kill someone he's had sex with if they happen to be transgender is worrying.

PixelatedBookake

Oh yeah I was catching up on the episodes I missed over the week and was greeted to Lil Duval being invited back on the podcast. The guy is an ignorant loser and I wouldn't shed a single tear for the guy if he got locked up for good. I do enjoy The Breakfast Club, but I wish they wouldn't enable stupid people like Lil Duval on their platform.

Monocle

I don't get the outrage at BC. Since when is censorship the best option?
I'd like to think most reasonable people take issue with censorship when it denies the audience a valid message worth engaging with, not when it takes a megaphone out of a bigot's hands. Do we really want act like not giving a platform to hate speech is tantamount to stifling measured and fair-minded points of view?

Is there any utility or merit in malicious verbal attacks on at-risk minorities?

He is an idiot but he clearly said he didn't want to talk about the subject and Charlemagne clearly was baiting him to say something.

True that Charlemagne wasn't helping either. It felt like Angela Yee wanted Duval to stop talking like that but Charlemagne wanted to try to keep talking about it.

Its very reckless and dangerous to make an accusation about someone like that just because I said the article purposely left out facts.
Did the article include that days' weather and what Duval ate for breakfast? Because both of these facts are as meaningless to what Duval said as the context in which he would kill a transperson for being trans.

MUnited83

For you.

That doesn't make it any better. At all. In any way.

rambis

Banned
I'd like to think most reasonable people take issue with censorship when it denies the audience a valid message worth engaging with, not when it takes a megaphone out of a bigot's hands. Do we really want act like not giving a platform to hate speech is tantamount to stifling measured and fair-minded points of view?

Is there any utility or merit in malicious verbal attacks on at-risk minorities?

Speech is speech. Its a one way street. When you deny a person speech you also deny the opportunity to debate them about their positions.

Notice the only time BC and Charlemagne are in the news is because they are being pronlematic
Why else would they be in the news?

Nowadays the only reason entertainers like tbc would ever be on the news is for being "problematic".

This is stupid. Boycott the radio show for what a guest said? The guest should take the heat, not the platform.

If CTG called lil Duvall out on air on why he can't say what he said, why is it Breakfast Club's fault again?

I had no idea lil Duvall said any of that stuff about rape either. My wife and I saw him years ago at a comedy club. He wasn't as funny as the comedians before him.

Ekai

I watched the interview friday, it had nothing to do with trangenders or LGBTs. They asked him about the Drumpf military ban and he said he's not comfortable talking about them. CTG as per his schtick then baited him into a scenario where someone he was having sex with someone who turns out to be Trans and he said he would probably kill her. There was no greater connotation then that and you could easily see CTG baiting him.

So you're half-justifying a hypothetical trans panic defense by saying he was "baited" into it and that it shouldn't be taken seriously despite how often in the past people have gotten away with killing us because we're trans. Is that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom