• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comedian guest on TheBreakfastClub Radio show says he'd kill a transgender person

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menchi

Speech is speech. Its a one way street. When you deny a person speech you also deny the opportunity to debate them about their positions.

But he wasn't censored. He said what he wanted and is rightfully receiving backlash for his disgusting view. Just because you get shat on for saying hateful trash doesn't mean you have been censored, it means you're being callled out for it

Ekai

Speech is speech. Its a one way street. When you deny a person speech you also deny the opportunity to debate them about their positions.

What is there to debate or say in response to: "I would kill you just for being who you are".

Also, freedom of speech =/= freedom of consequence.

TBC has been dropping the ball all year. Within the last couple months they've provided no pushback as guests peddled anti-vaxx bullshit (Tony Muhammad) as well as blatant racism (Dr Umar Johnson).

Famassu

This article went out of its way to leave out the fact he was talking about what would happen if he had sex with a woman, and after sex, she told him she was a trans person.

He didnt say he would kill a trans person if he met one.

Present all the facts and allow people to find their own outrage.
That's supposed to be better?

Grizzo

It was in the midst of an interview, they had no idea his answer before they asked. Duval is a comedian, he probably said it jokingly, but it's an awful joke to say when it's a big problem that Transgendered people face. Especially in light of a a very recent case of a Transgendered person being stabbed over 100 times by a heterosexual man.

I watched the interview and he didn't sound like he was joking. Like, at all. He sounds like he's really afraid someone's who's really insecure about his masculinity and would go to the extremes (like killing people) to prove he's a "real man".

Plus he double down with this post on Instagram, comparing having sex with a transgender who didn't disclose their biological sex with rape ("if u can see why somebody would kill someone that rape them u should understand how a straight man feels") and calling transgender people "confused nigga bitches".

None of this sound like a joke to my ears.

Ekai

This article went out of its way to leave out the fact he was talking about what would happen if he had sex with a woman, and after sex, she told him she was a trans person.

I repeat what I said to rambis:

"So you're half-justifying a hypothetical trans panic defense by saying he was "baited" into it and that it shouldn't be taken seriously despite how often in the past people have gotten away with killing us because we're trans. Is that right?"

Dre3001

Is "Wat Dat Mouf Do?" the equivalent of "You kiss your mother with that mouth?" for Americans or am I just really out of touch?

It is referring to asking someone how good are they at performing oral sex.

Lil duval is ignorant trash, never found him funny tbh

Are you fucking kidding

I was listening to a hip-hop station on SiriusXM and one of the DJs was talking about how he didn't give a fuck about trans people not serving in the military and that he didn't want to serve his country next to a monster or some shit

We talk a good game about how hip-hop isn't as homophobic/transphobic but we still have a loooooong way to go

lol, this isn't close to be true

Judy-Hopps-disneys-zootopia-39163044-297-303.jpg

I watched the interview and he didn't sound like he was joking. Like, at all. He sounds like he's really afraid someone's who's really insecure about his masculinity and would go to the extremes (like killing people) to prove he's a "real man".

Plus he double down with this post on Instagram, comparing having sex with a transgender who didn't disclose their biological sex with rape ("if u can see why somebody would kill someone that rape them u should understand how a straight man feels") and calling transgender people "confused nigga bitches".

Good post. This should go in the OP.

rambis

Banned
But he wasn't censored. He said what he wanted and is rightfully receiving backlash for his disgusting view. Just because you get shat on for saying hateful trash doesn't mean you have been censored, it means you're being callled out for it
I never said he was being censored, people were asking why did they let this air, if you can't follow.

It doesn't have to make it better. Its just that factually, that is what happened during the interview. Im not sure why people think I'm advocating anything.
What was the reason for posting an irrelevant fact?

Once again what is achieved if the article left out Duval's morning meal and you posted about it?

This might be a learning opportunity for you to question your intentions and the harm of contextualizing violence.

Mesoian

Yeah that's not better.

That's actually kind of worse.

kunonabi

To be fair that's not an unreasonable position. Everything else out of his mouth is pure garbage though. Id hope that this incident would result in him getting fewer bookings but we'll see.

OOOH! 😐

Ekai

To be fair that's not an unreasonable position. Everything else out of his mouth is pure garbage though. Id hope that this incident would result in him getting fewer bookings but we'll see.

....How. Is. It. Rape.
It's fucking insulting to even start to compare it to rape. Like, seriously, how? In what way is it comparable to the emotional and physical trauma of rape? In what way are trans individuals forcibly abusing others?

And this is a guy who apparently started a meme called "it ain't rape".

Menchi

I never said he was being censored, people were asking why did they let this air, if you can't follow.

But you said this;

I don't get the outrage at BC. Since when is censorship the best option?

The OP is the only person before that who'd asked why they'd give him a platform. That isn't saying "they should censor him" - The post I replied to is basically saying speech is a two way thing, so he shouldn't be censored, which he wasn't.

Semantics aside, you're pretty clearly stanning for him with the "he was baited" into it lines. Just an FYI, just because he was "baited" doesn't change the fact his views are abhorrent and he definitely deserves every ounce of shit thrown at him.

Slayven

Why else would they be in the news?

Nowadays the only reason entertainers like tbc would ever be on the news is for being "problematic".

This is stupid. Boycott the radio show for what a guest said? The guest should take the heat, not the platform.
Nah BC stay doing this shit on top of giving platforms to the worse of the worse. And Charlemagne using it to push his Diet Hotep brand

Mesoian

You are going to have to expand upon that in order to keep it from sounding incredibly ignorant. How is it remotely even adjacent to rape?

WarLox

I repeat what I said to rambis:

"So you're half-justifying a hypothetical trans panic defense by saying he was "baited" into it and that it shouldn't be taken seriously despite how often in the past people have gotten away with killing us because we're trans. Is that right?"

And with this Im out.

I watched the interview before this acticle was posted. The article claims that the comedian said if he met a trans person he would would kill them.

As someone who has seen the interview, i said factually this is not correct, that is not what he said. Now all of a sudden im being accuse of supporting or defending violence against trans people.

Again. That is a serious and dangerous claim to make against someone.

Saying that an article left out facts about an interview in no way supports violence against trans people.

Everyone have a good day. I can no longer be a part of this conversation.

collige

Banned

The only way that statement makes any sense is if you assume that trans women are men and you got "tricked" into having "gay" sex and even then it's a stupid comparison. Literally everything he's said on the matter has been wildly transphobic.

Grizzo

I see what you mean. I agree that it would be better to be upfront and not lie. But I guess sometimes it takes time and trust to even talk about it.

But in my opinion, comparing it to rape is debatable though.

I don't even know who Lil Duval is. I googled image him and he just looks like a twerp.

Was the Janet Mock interview respectful? And what were the hosts' immediate reaction to Duval's comment?

And with this Im out.

I watched the interview before this acticle was posted. The article claims that the comedian said if he met a trans person he would would kill them.

As someone who has seen the interview, i said factually this is not correct, that is not what he said. Now all of a sudden im being accuse of supporting or defending violence against trans people.

Again. That is a serious and dangerous claim to make against someone.

Saying that an article left out facts about an interview in no way supports violence against trans people.

Everyone have a good day. I can no longer be a part of this conversation.
To be honest you haven't done much conversing at all so your actions seem quite transparent.

Future

You are going to have to expand upon that in order to keep it from sounding incredibly ignorant. How is it remotely even adjacent to rape?

Because the person would not have consented if they knew the truth. I can understand the comparison

Misha

Banned

The idea is that its rape by omission. That is used like with STD's where you're unaware of the circumstances and it affects you in some way that you normally wouldn't agree to.

Its frankly bullshit that anyone thinks it applies to trans people. Suddenly knowing you had sex with a trans person change the situation in any way for you

Breads

Banned
I don't get the outrage at BC. Since when is censorship the best option?
What a profoundly stupid thing to say. No one is trying to censor them. People are expressing thenselves... hence the outrage. Should people censor themselves just because you don't get their outrage? Where is the line drawn and who decided on it?

Maybe you thought murdering people was a joke...

norm9

The only way that statement makes any sense is if you assume that trans women are men and you got "tricked" into having "gay" sex and even then it's a stupid comparison. Literally everything he's said on the matter has been wildly transphobic.

Isn't it sex by deception instead? I read that somewhere. Maybe here some other thread.

Ekai

Just watched the clip and it's 'funny' because he immediately jumps to the "I'm gay now, you manipulated me" defense on the show right after saying it. Basically reinforcing that he feels he is tricked/gay now for having sex with a transwoman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom