• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comfort gaming

lock2k

Banned
Pardon me if there is a similar thread to this. I've searched and didn't find anything like it.

I've been thinking about comfort food and how some games (or even media) are just like comfort food to me. So I thought about Comfort Gaming.

What is comfort gaming? Games or genres you'll always go to when you're bored or if you want some familiarty. To me, these are mostly arcade games. Something that helps me clear my mind. Older platforming games, arcade racers, Street Fighter 2, Tetris, Guitar Hero, Doom and Wolfenstein 3D, Parappa the Rapper and also lots of beat-em-ups (I guess playing a lot of Streets of Rage this weekend triggered this subject for me). These are games that I almost play on a semi-auto-pilot state. They're very relaxing to me and they make me feel good, just like comfort food.

What are your comfort gaming titles?

teezzy

Banned
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
3. NHL Hitz 2003
4. Mr. Driller
5. Killer 7

I'm getting old, man. These games never fail to make me reflect on life. I feel as though I know 'em all like the back of my hand at this point.

Over the past few years, my comfort-food gaming has also been arcade stuff lock2k lock2k , the big three being Fighting, Puzzle, and Shmups.

Spending 30 minutes going through Guilty Gear Xrd's arcade mode, playing some online matches, or even just mindlessly practicing muscle-memory fundamentals in the training mode was my way to unwind after a day of work for about 18 months. This habit extended to other fighting games and kinda rejuvenated my passion for the genre. Another comfort-food fighter has been Street Fighter V. I've owned it since the beginning and it's still enjoyable. I like to pick a fighter off the shelf and grind through a few Arcade rounds and/or check out the training mode to see what I like about the game, slowly picking it apart over the years (I'm in no hurry).

Puzzle genre qualifies as cozy beyond cozy for me. I have numerous (read: too many) handheld and console puzzle games that I always enjoy popping in and playing for 30m or so. Some standbys are Columns III, Magical Drop III, Puyo Puyo Tetris (and standalone variants), Builder's Block, Meteos, Critter Crunch, Bombliss, Octomania, M&M Clash of Heroes, Puchi Virus, Baku Baku Animal, Money Idol Exchanger, Super Puzzle Fighter, etc etc etc

Shmups are a comfort-food for practice-play. The mindless repetition of playing stage after stage, practicing dodges, learning better ways of handling patterns, etc is rather relaxing to me. I can always sink 30m into practicing a few Daioujou stages / bosses and walk away satisfied. Other personal comfort-food shmups would be Twinkle Star Sprites, Gradius, Espgaluda, Layer Section, Darius series, Ghost Blade HD, and Hellfire.

Outside of these, I would add certain well-known 2D platformers like Super Mario Bros 3, SMW, Sonic 1 - 3&K, etc that a lot of us grew up playing. I'm not particularly "great" at these games, I just have the benefit of decades of experience massaged into my brain-circuits. Therefore, I can reliably beat them without struggling and it's fun popping them in and running through them on a rainy afternoon every once in awhile.

Last edited:
A few specific titles come to mind:

Pac-Man
TESIII: Morrowind
Tetris
Doom (I,II)
Civilization (I,III,V)
Downwell
Lemmings (I,II)
Don't Starve
Minecraft
X-COM (UFO Defense)
Speedball 2
Rick Dangerous.

Often it can just be returning to a specific platform that i haven't touched in a while. Whether it's Amiga, Megadrive or DOS.

Nero_PR

Banned
  • MotorStorm Pacific Rift - Still off-road silly fun. The third game felt too far away from its roots
  • Blur - Best Mario Kart with licensed cars
  • Destiny 2 - Just do strikes, gambit, and some crucible. Jumping on a day and play with all classes
  • Battlefield 4 on PC
  • Gravity Rush 2 - I put some fancy music from my playlist (mostly game ost and orchestral to enjoy with it)
  • Crash games - I grow up with them, so it is understandable why I like them so much
  • Fighting games in general (old or new; 3D or 2D) - This is an odd one. I learned to like 2D fighting games not long ago, but they are so good for when you don't have much time for gaming (I've been suffering maining Narmaya and Zeta in Granblue Fantasy Versus)
  • Older JRPGs - Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Breath of Fire (IV was my first JRPG that I remember playing), Final Fantasy (X, VII original, VI)
  • Shadow of the Colossus - since I'm prone to loneliness, games with dark undertones of desolation, solitude always resonates with me. Death Stranding really made a good impression on me.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
Over the past few years, my comfort-food gaming has also been arcade stuff lock2k lock2k , the big three being Fighting, Puzzle, and Shmups.

Spending 30 minutes going through Guilty Gear Xrd's arcade mode, playing some online matches, or even just mindlessly practicing muscle-memory fundamentals in the training mode was my way to unwind after a day of work for about 18 months. This habit extended to other fighting games and kinda rejuvenated my passion for the genre. Another comfort-food fighter has been Street Fighter V. I've owned it since the beginning and it's still enjoyable. I like to pick a fighter off the shelf and grind through a few Arcade rounds and/or check out the training mode to see what I like about the game, slowly picking it apart over the years (I'm in no hurry).

Puzzle genre qualifies as cozy beyond cozy for me. I have numerous (read: too many) handheld and console puzzle games that I always enjoy popping in and playing for 30m or so. Some standbys are Columns III, Magical Drop III, Puyo Puyo Tetris (and standalone variants), Builder's Block, Meteos, Critter Crunch, Bombliss, Octomania, M&M Clash of Heroes, Puchi Virus, Baku Baku Animal, Money Idol Exchanger, Super Puzzle Fighter, etc etc etc

Shmups are a comfort-food for practice-play. The mindless repetition of playing stage after stage, practicing dodges, learning better ways of handling patterns, etc is rather relaxing to me. I can always sink 30m into practicing a few Daioujou stages / bosses and walk away satisfied. Other personal comfort-food shmups would be Twinkle Star Sprites, Gradius, Espgaluda, Layer Section, Darius series, Ghost Blade HD, and Hellfire.

Outside of these, I would add certain well-known 2D platformers like Super Mario Bros 3, SMW, Sonic 1 - 3&K, etc that a lot of us grew up playing. I'm not particularly "great" at these games, I just have the benefit of decades of experience massaged into my brain-circuits. Therefore, I can reliably beat them without struggling and it's fun popping them in and running through them on a rainy afternoon every once in awhile.

This is some godly taste in gaming you have there. I enjoy all of these.
I think fighting, puzzle, shmups and also arcade racing and rhythm games are all related in some way. They are all about fast paced action and memorization and stuff like that and they all seem to stimulate my dopamine-needing brain very much.

Moogle11

Banned
Animal Crossing.

It's like a giant comfy couch of a universe where your neighbors are all super friendly stuffed animals that think anything you do is the best thing that's ever been done.

Yep. Nothing comfier. The latest one came out at a perfect time with all this Covid nonsense.

RSB

Banned
The best comfort gaming for me was doing treasure hunts in Gravity Rush 2, but Sony decided to close the servers (just 18 months after release) so my default comfort gaming option has reverted back to Halo and Resident Evil.

Fuck you Sony.

Last edited:

dilbag

I usually go to co op mindless grinding type of games. Diablo/Titan quest/World War z/Gears Horde mode stuff of that nature, games I can just place my wrath upon my enemies but dont have to over think things.

This is some godly taste in gaming you have there. I enjoy all of these.
I think fighting, puzzle, shmups and also arcade racing and rhythm games are all related in some way. They are all about fast paced action and memorization and stuff like that and they all seem to stimulate my dopamine-needing brain very much.
Rhythm is another one I fondly enjoy. Recently passed the 200 hour mark in FF Theatrhythm Curtain Call (already sunk 100+ hours into the vanilla version) :messenger_fearful: I'm a big fan of Dance Dance Revolution and DJ Hero but mostly missed the Guitar Hero / Rock Band craze.

I'm pickier (not disinterested, mind you) when it comes to arcade racing but I have my favs like Outrun 2, Burnout 3, Neo Drift Out: NT, Crazy Taxi, SEGA Rally, etc

What are some of your favs in those genres?

Yeah it's weird that high-octane arcade games would have a chill-out effect.

lock2k

Banned
Rhythm is another one I fondly enjoy. Recently passed the 200 hour mark in FF Theatrhythm Curtain Call (already sunk 100+ hours into the vanilla version) :messenger_fearful: I'm a big fan of Dance Dance Revolution and DJ Hero but mostly missed the Guitar Hero / Rock Band craze.

I'm pickier (not disinterested, mind you) when it comes to arcade racing but I have my favs like Outrun 2, Burnout 3, Neo Drift Out: NT, Crazy Taxi, SEGA Rally, etc

What are some of your favs in those genres?

Yeah it's weird that high-octane arcade games would have a chill-out effect.

I love Daytona, Outrun (the old version and the online version that was discontinued), Super GT, Ridge Racer, Top Gear, San Franscisco Rush, Cruisin series and I also like fun isometric stuff like Rock'n'Roll Racing and Mille Miglia.

lock2k

Banned
Tetris. I can play it for hours or bang out a few matches in 5 minutes.

Tetris is the ultimate comfort game to me. I can still play the OG game boy one on that green screen and feel the joy.

I remember a funny story. I was travelling with that OG Game Boy in 2000 and I wrote my highest score yet on the cloth napkin of the hotel and I took it because I had no other place to write it. After that I had many higher scores but I still have it.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Tetris is the ultimate comfort game to me. I can still play the OG game boy one on that green screen and feel the joy.

I still have a GB Pocket carted up and ready to go, but I almost never play that version these days, I hate the piece lock mechanics on that one.

My go to lately has been Tetris Effect because it plays like a dream and has wonderful music and sound effects. But I also keep my modded DSLite close by with TGM3 :messenger_fire:

lock2k

Banned
I still have a GB Pocket carted up and ready to go, but I almost never play that version these days, I hate the piece lock mechanics on that one.

My go to lately has been Tetris Effect because it plays like a dream and has wonderful music and sound effects. But I also keep my modded DSLite close by with TGM3 :messenger_fire:

I really like the 3DS version. It's fast paced and I enjoy the hard drop.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Pardon me if there is a similar thread to this. I've searched and didn't find anything like it.

I've been thinking about comfort food and how some games (or even media) are just like comfort food to me. So I thought about Comfort Gaming.

What is comfort gaming? Games or genres you'll always go to when you're bored or if you want some familiarty. To me, these are mostly arcade games. Something that helps me clear my mind. Older platforming games, arcade racers, Street Fighter 2, Tetris, Guitar Hero, Doom and Wolfenstein 3D, Parappa the Rapper and also lots of beat-em-ups (I guess playing a lot of Streets of Rage this weekend triggered this subject for me). These are games that I almost play on a semi-auto-pilot state. They're very relaxing to me and they make me feel good, just like comfort food.

What are your comfort gaming titles?
Gravity rush 1 and 2.

Fly around the city when you listen the beautiful Ost.

ROMhack

None except Everybody's Golf but that's an excuse just to listen to audiobooks.

I don't really enjoy comfort gaming as I prefer an end goal to work towards (ie crossing my mammoth backlog off my list).

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned

I don't really enjoy comfort gaming as I prefer an end goal to work towards.

You can find comfort while having goals.

Tetris is an example of that for me. It's comfort as fuck but I'm always trying to better my scores :)

It's like a high release of dopamine that also makes me comfortable.

Heimdall_Xtreme

I don't really enjoy comfort gaming as I prefer an end goal to work towards (ie crossing my mammoth backlog off my list).
I Love Hot shots golf world invitation... is the only Golf game that i enjoy it.... THANK YOU AGAIN MY JAPAN STUDIO... And more because my Kat is a PLayable character.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

That's the one on PS3 isn't it? It's a great game, as is World Tour.

The new one on PS4 is a little worse I think as I don't enjoy the walking around aspect but still good fun.
912WVbTQK%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

Yeah i guess.... i play it in PS VITA.

maxresdefault.jpg

tumblr_pew50no7HF1tyw21qo5_500.jpg

tumblr_ms1tq2dkVC1roaszgo2_r1_500.jpg

Thats was my real reason to play it =)

0:38 Kat plushy :messenger_smiling:

Phantasy Star, Wonder Boy Dragon's Trap, Sonic 1 & 2, Sega arcade games, Chrono Trigger, Zelda Link to the Past, Animal Crossing, Doom 1 & 2, Star Control 2

Last edited:
Dark Souls
Mass Effect 2
Sunset Overdrive
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Garou Mark of the Wolves
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Mario Kart 1
Lunar 1 and 2 on psx

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Mario platform games and Mario Kart. In Odyssey at least, running and jumping around and exploring is pretty relaxing.

Out of the Park Baseball
Rocket League

Those come to mind as something easy to slip into without any resistance from learning something new, lol. There are more, for sure, but those came to mind immediately. Easy to slide right in and have fun without any trouble.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
The main Sonic games on Mega Drive, Need for Speed Underground, Mario Kart, Star Fox...

Top Bottom