• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS February |OT| of Curious (Black) Creators & Curious (Black) Characters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJD

If only there were a netflix equivalent for comics. Closest is Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited and it's a mixed bag at best, it feels like eating comic table scraps while occasionally getting a good piece.

I've been saying this for awhile. I would gladly pay 15, 20 bucks for a subscription service that would let me read comics online the day they are released, and back catalog too.

Just do the math. Marvel sold roughly 8.3 million dollars in new comics in january, plus 2.1 million in trades, totaling 10.4 million in a month.

If they charged 15 bucks they would need 694 thousand signatures to do the same numbers, plus they wouldn't have printing and shipping costs (bandwidth is certainly cheaper), or return worries. I can't believe the US alone with a population of 313 million would not be able to reach this quota, never mind comic lovers in other countries.

Make comics more accessible, make then cheaper and I'm sure a lot of people both old and new to comics would jump at an opportunity like that.

I don't know about you guys but I spend a lot more than 15 bucks a month with comics, and for me it's getting harder and harder to justify this expense. While for me a service like that would save money, there's a lot of people out there who just stopped reading comics for whatever reasons (including the economic issue) that would be tempted to get back. As much as I love then I'm dropping books left and right.

For exemple, I fucking love Remender's X-force, but 2 issues into the current arc I've decided that I didn't like the story and dropped the book until the next and hopefully awesome arc begins. I'll read a summary of the current arc somewhere online, the whole otherworld stuff was not working for me.

I'm doing this for every single comic I like. If I don't enjoy the current arc, I'll drop it until it ends, if I also don't enjoy the next arc I'll probably drop the book for good or at least until something that entices me comes around.

I'll drop Justice League as soon as Jim Lee is done with it, and with the exception of Snyder, Tomasi and Gleason I've dropped all the other Batman family comics.

Besides this the only titles in DC relaunch I'm reading now are Animal Man, Swamp Thing and Wonder Woman. I liked I Vampire but I dropped it too, already have my vampire fill with American Vampire.

I was introduced to comics by my cousin who stopped reading then a long time ago. Discussing this a couple months back he said he would definitely get on board on something like that.

There's a lot of comics that I used to buy but couldn't justify to buy anymore because of the price. In a subscription service comics that I don't really care or can't justify to buy anymore would actually entice me to subscript, since I would be paying for the stuff I like but would be able to read things I don't know, or would not normally buy.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Did anyone else burst out laughing at the last page of the new Venom?

This was like a full hour ago I read it and you mentioning it just made me start laughing again.

Satchwar!

FXqpY.gif

I hope you gonna be ready. I need to push Spider over the edge! ^_^

woodypop

Read Justice League #6 and feel the story really didn't pay off. A few of the splash pages fell flat, too: Wonder Woman's pose and expression when she
stabbed Darkseid's eye
, Cyborg when he. . . (what the hell was he doing, exactly?), the white-page post-
Boomtube finale
. After the previous issue's set-up, this just didn't wrap up satisfactorily. What a let down.

Also saw Justice League: Doom. It was merely 'okay.' Character faces are a little too anime-ish for my tastes. It's been a looong time since I've read Tower of Babel, so I can't adequately make a direct comparison. But I can say that I still like JL: Crisis on Two Earths a lot more.

Actually it's better that Satchwar posts the topic too. I would account suicide with my brilliant new Topic!

COMICS March |OT| Frank Miller's thread of Bitches, Whores, Sluts!

:X

Comic shop this weekend. Busy at work. :(

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/02/27/image-comics-expo-announcements-2012-morrison/

I forgot Image had so many good looking books this year. Morrison, Quitely, Gillen, McKelvie, BKV, Staples, Wood, Harris, Chaykin, Hickman, Piterra, Hitch, etc.

Image repping strong, the 90s really are back!

This really is major news for creator owned books. Since this is the golden era of the funnybook writer, having hot shit writers do creator owned work and hopefully finding success with it will inspire more creators to strengthen the stock of the creator owned market, and the profits that come from it.

Let's face it, even if a M.O.D.O.K. headed goon like Kirkman has his fans; being the only writer partner at Image isn't going to change any minds about the quality of writers there. :X

Read Justice League #6 and feel the story really didn't pay off. A few of the splash pages fell flat, too: Wonder Woman's pose and expression when she
stabbed Darkseid's eye
, Cyborg when he. . . (what the hell was he doing, exactly?), the white-page post-
Boomtube finale
. After the previous issue's set-up, this just didn't wrap up satisfactorily. What a let down.

Also saw Justice League: Doom. It was merely 'okay.' Character faces are a little too anime-ish for my tastes. It's been a looong time since I've read Tower of Babel, so I can't adequately make a direct comparison. But I can say that I still like JL: Crisis on Two Earths a lot more.
Posted my thoughts on it ("it" being JLDoom, not the drek Johns/Lee are pumping out) in this thread, but yeah I was pretty disappointed in it too. Penguin can correct me on this if I'm wrong (well, he could if he hadn't gotten himself banned), but originally I think this was supposed to be an episode of the Justice League cartoon that didn't make it into production. Seeing it now, there was a reason for that.

Justice League Doom really didn't feel like a movie. It was totally a JLU episode. The villain got more development than anyone else it seemed.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Justice League Doom really didn't feel like a movie. It was totally a JLU episode. The villain got more development than anyone else it seemed.

Never read Tower of Babel but I thought JL Doom was super dumb. The "fool proof" methods of dealing with everybody were all mostly stupid. And their solution for Batman
to just punch him in the face and bury him alive?!
Get real.

And yeah, you're totally right, it felt like 2 mashed together episodes of JLU. There was even a perfect "to be continued" point smack dab in the middle. Easily one of my least favorite of DC's animated flicks.

The new Ultimate Spiderman cartoon should be changed to Ultimate Shield training program and Advertisement for Movie. It's chill that it's got White Tiger, Nova and Iron Fist as brahs, but I want to see Gwen get killed and stuff.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I've been broke too long and finally catching up. Read the last 3 issues of TMNT and I need more. Is the micro-series any good?

LiQuid!

I thought the Raph and Mikey micros were great but this latest Donatello one was awful. So cheesy. Some of the worst geek/nerd writing I've ever seen. Really kinda heartbroken cause Don's my favorite turtle and was waiting months for this issue. In the main series too, I don't feel like Donny is being written very well, but it was so bad in the micro.

wenis

awww, that's too bad. I'll pick up the Raph/Mikey ones tomorrow and think about the Donny one.

LiQuid!

I kept getting the sense reading it that nobody involved had ever heard of a computer before and they were just writing based on anecdotal accounts of what the internet is.

Apparently today was Creator Owned day.

So I added Manhattan Projects, Peter Panzerfaust, and Saga to my pull list. They keep invoking Star Wars with Saga and since Lucas and Star Wars are dead to me, I hope this fits the bill.

I forgot to add Grim Leaper since I couldn't remember the damned title. Oh well, that's what this weekend is for.

gerg

So, Bleeding Cool just ran a feature on the nudity in The Twelve #10. Is there an in-narrative excuse for the Action Man anatomy, or is the comic-book audience that incapable of looking at a drawn penis?

wenis

So, Bleeding Cool just ran a feature on the nudity in The Twelve #10. Is there an in-narrative excuse for the Action Man anatomy, or is the comic-book audience that incapable of looking at a drawn penis?

bingo.

gerg

LOL

You want dicks you read Faust bro.

I don't think this argument holds. Strategically-placed obstructions are one thing - there, both the nudity of the character and comic-readers' reservations about penises can both be reserved without distracting from the intention of the scene. But with this image the conscious effort to remove the "offending" item actively reduces its impact, as we end up focusing less on the main character's expression (as well as the reactions of those around him) and instead (and quite ironically, too) look more towards the character's groin, given that he should have a penis but doesn't. The character doesn't even have nipples, lest some portion of the readership be disgusted at the sight of them!

Equally, consider this: would you think it ridiculous if a nude female character were drawn without a vagina?

LiQuid!

Not familiar with the series or the context of said nudity, but this is Big 2, mainstream comics, there shouldn't really be any nudity in them.

Hey what's the status on March thread? You guys were so hype about it and it's been a day and change now. Satchwar go on vaykay?

I don't think this argument holds. Strategically-placed obstructions are one thing - there, both the nudity of the character and comic-readers' reservations about penises can both be reserved without distracting from the intention of the scene. But with this image the conscious effort to remove the "offending" item actively reduces its impact, as we end up focusing less on the main character's expression (as well as the reactions of those around him) and instead (and quite ironically, too) look more towards the character's groin, given that he should have a penis but doesn't. The character doesn't even have nipples, lest some portion of the readership be disgusted at the sight of them!

Equally, consider this: would you think it ridiculous if a nude female character were drawn without a vagina?

What argument?

You're not getting penis or vagina in a Marvel comic.

Marvel backed out of showing titties in Duk Hyun Cho's Shanna the She Devil Max series because they, foolishly, thought Shanna would take off and they could license the character for TV or movies. LOL LOL LOL Shanna. LOL LOL LOL Duk Hyun Cho writing. LOL LOL LOL Nobody is buying that shit for the writing Mahvel!

If there's any argument to be had here it's you won't find cock in a Marvel comic.

Hey what's the status on March thread? You guys were so hype about it and it's been a day and change now. Satchwar go on vaykay?

All my picks, images, and summaries have been done. It's in Satchwar's ballpark now.

This had better be the most amazing Wonder Woman write-up I've ever laid eyes on. Ten times more charming than Phil Jimenez's Wonder Woman Encyclopedia!

gerg

What argument?

You're not getting penis or vagina in a Marvel comic.

[...]

If there's any argument to be had here it's you won't find cock in a Marvel comic.

Sure, and I think it quite pathetic that non-sexualised nudity (of both male and female forms) can't be displayed in mainstream comics. You are right that, descriptively, such is the way things are. Normatively, however, they shouldn't be. (In general, though, considering America's more conservative stance regarding nudity it will most definitely be a long time before the situation changes such as to promote this.)

LiQuid!

Can't wait. Been F5'n OT for more than 24 hours now.

Sure, and I think it quite pathetic that non-sexualised nudity (of both male and female forms) can't be displayed in mainstream comics. You are right that, descriptively, such is the way things are. Normatively, however, they shouldn't be. (In general, though, considering America's more conservative stance regarding nudity it will most definitely be a long time before the situation changes such as to promote this.)

Listen man, despite the fact that we all know kids don't read comics, Marvel and DC have mostly taken a family approach, even with their more "mature" teen+ comics. America is too conservative about dicks, but what are you gonna do? We're not gonna shake the foundation to its core with a comic book that a few thousand people are going to read.

Yes, there's an in-narrative reason for it. It comes off as kind of silly, but it's there.

Our priorities as a culture are screwed. I'm not going to argue that.

I can see clinical depictions of gore on network television, but titties? OH HOLY SHIT! THINK OF THE CHILDRENS!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Can't wait. Been F5'n OT for more than 24 hours now.

Listen man, despite the fact that we all know kids don't read comics, Marvel and DC have mostly taken a family approach, even with their more "mature" teen+ comics. America is too conservative about dicks, but what are you gonna do? We're not gonna shake the foundation to its core with a comic book that a few thousand people are going to read.

Yep, because nothing says family more than exploding heads and bloody entrails and psychological torture.

Ironically, having dicks and tits and verginers would make it more family in the sense of procreation rather than the usual rundown of deathdeathdeathtorturedeathdeath.

LiQuid!

It's America's fucked up moral code, not mine. Were it up to be there would be dicks and tits everywhere.

It's America's fucked up moral code, not mine. Were it up to be there would be dicks and tits everywhere.

At the same time!

what

it's not going up until sunday dudes

Oh lawd! The cosummate female! Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps... :p

at least now I understand why Batman wubs Wonder Woman. As poet Oliver Leiber wrote for magic midget Paula Abdul, "We come together because opposites attract!" Themyscirans don't believe in prep time. LOL LOL LOL

Alternately we can blame this delay on the leap year, or the rain.

I'll try to make it worth the delay with a hypothetical cherry on top comics GAF! If equal parts lazy and crazy don't undermine my ambition.

Tizoc

Great stuff from Image this week for me, both Invincible and Orc Stain were good.
Also new Tiny Titans, AW YEAH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom