• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
You're the man, Spike! Even unfinished, your OT is great as always.

I can't believe it's actually Multiversity month.
Also really looking forward to hearing how The Fade Out and Bob's Burgers are!
And is anyone planning on picking up Abnett's Dark Ages? I hadn't heard of that until I saw it in the OT, but it looks interesting.

a06f13828a8654800f524aa818fe9f60b38f4ba3c9c0944f6cc5b1dd26af6c62.jpg

Does this mean you've see The Wire? That slightly makes up for the fact that you haven't seen Star Wars.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yo, I feel bad for anybody tradewaiting Sandman Overture. Y'all aren't going to have your minds warmed and blown 'til 2017.

Yo, I feel bad for anybody tradewaiting Sandman Overture. Y'all aren't going to have your minds warmed and blown 'til 2017.

Don't I know it man. So far away. I'm sure they'll make it worth it with a nice collection though. I've still got that new Gaiman book to read at some point though too, at least there's that to turn too if the wait gets harder.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Don't I know it man. So far away. I'm sure they'll make it worth it with a nice collection though. I've still got that new Gaiman book to read at some point though too, at least there's that to turn too if the wait gets harder.

Ocean at the End of the Lane?

Started working my way through that massive Cosmic Marvel chart that shows up on here all the time. It's been a fun ride, but has not blown me away at all. So far I've read Drax's mini, Annihilation, and Conquest: Star Lord.

Drax the Destroyer: Fun. The art wasn't the greatest and the plot seemed kind of pointless with nothing draxtic (hehehe) happening, but overall I had fun with it. Drax really is a beastly character. So awesome.

Annihilation: Really caught my attention but then it kind of lost me a bit.
So there are two ancient beings just as powerful as Galactus...that kick his ass in the name of Annihilus, but then disappear? And Thanos was the second in command who was really conniving the entire time, only to still lose when Drax showed up? Lame.
This was my first experience involving the latter character and he did not live up to my expectations of what I have heard. Good overall.

Conquest - Star Lord: Better than the others. The antics of Rocket and Groot saved it, but I was confused a bit about Groot. He can talk? But loses that ability later? This is the beginning of the GOTG, obviously, but even then the other characters were alright. Captain Universe especially. Fun overall.

I see the first six issues of Superior Foes on there? I found it by looking up Lieber's name in the creator section

Nice. Will try later. I'm probably just blind.

kd-z

Started working my way through that massive Cosmic Marvel chart that shows up on here all the time. It's been a fun ride, but has not blown me away at all. So far I've read Drax's mini, Annihilation, and Conquest: Star Lord.

Drax the Destroyer: Fun. The art wasn't the greatest and the plot seemed kind of pointless with nothing draxtic (hehehe) happening, but overall I had fun with it. Drax really is a beastly character. So awesome.

Annihilation: Really caught my attention but then it kind of lost me a bit.
So there are two ancient beings just as powerful as Galactus...that kick his ass in the name of Annihilus, but then disappear? And Thanos was the second in command who was really conniving the entire time, only to still lose when Drax showed up? Lame.
This was my first experience involving the latter character and he did not live up to my expectations of what I have heard. Good overall.

Conquest - Star Lord: Better than the others. The antics of Rocket and Groot saved it, but I was confused a bit about Groot. He can talk? But loses that ability later? This is the beginning of the GOTG, obviously, but even then the other characters were alright. Captain Universe especially. Fun overall.
Hey man, it seems that you are missing out on some awesome Richie Rider action. Don't do that to yourself and at least read Nova.

Hey man, it seems that you are missing out on some awesome Richie Rider action. Don't do that to yourself and at least read Nova.

I plan on it. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. Kind of picking and choosing from that chart because of a lack of time.

phoenixyz

I voted

1st: Sandman
2nd: Batman
3rd: Low

So I am okay with the top 3. Seeing as Batman won I don't even have to feel guilty for not placing it on first.

Wait how does Wicked and the Divine have such a comprehensive victory last month and not even chart this month? What happened. 3rd was a low bar considering how many votes it got last month.

So people have realized it's simply not that good?
scnr

Ocean at the End of the Lane?

Yea, that's the one man. I guess it's not that new now haha I just realised I was going to take it on holiday to read during LAST year's holiday, not this year's, which I've just been on haha. I'm terrible like that. I've had every intention to read it since it came out, but after I got through Nos4a2 last year it's just been KingKingKing. On The Talisman now.

Lol I love Zero Year as much as the next guy, but that #1 spot seems a bit honorary to me vs. actually deserving it. #1 is Sandman, and Batman/Hawkeye are interchangeable. You can't even compare the writing in Batman to Sandman.

Sure you can. It's way way better.

Gaiman came up in a comics landscape of a much wacker time. Then Grant Morrison turbostomped his entire oeuvre and now there's a whole generation of writers lapping Gaiman from Moz's slipstream.

Overture #3 was great, but I've read The Gunslinger too. That doesn't make Gaiman's comic the best comic of the month, not even JHIII can change that.

ANYWAY what's this I hear about an article where some DC dude trashes Image? I need a link for THAT.

Read Low and Black Science this morning. Good lord.

I am going to be 100% honest, when
The Shaman showed up on that tree branch,
for a second, I thought to myself, I just need to stop reading all non-"Creator Driven" big two comics forever.

They'll never get close to this.

I thought to myself, I just need to stop reading all non-"Creator Driven" big two comics forever.

They'll never get close to this.

Birdie, you ever find yourself reading a marvle or dc book and think to yourself

"there are other worlds than these"? ;)

Btw man, the fuck, have you read the Talisman? I read the whole Tower series and never read this. This literally is a dark tower book. Like, by he time I finish this & Black House, I think I'm going to wonder how I pretty much missed two books in the series.

Comixology is having a Guardians of the Galaxy sale right now.

Annihilation Conquest: Star Lord and GOTG #1 through #25 are $1 each.

kd-z

I've just read Annihilation: Conquest - Starlord and have to admit it's really good. Action-packed and funny with some nice, clean art. Though having a character recap the plot of a 4-issue miniseries at the beginning of the last issue is kinda offensive :p

Birdie, you ever find yourself reading a marvle or dc book and think to yourself

"there are other worlds than these"? ;)

Btw man, the fuck, have you read the Talisman? I read the whole Tower series and never read this. This literally is a dark tower book. Like, by he time I finish this & Black House, I think I'm going to wonder how I pretty much missed two books in the series.

I haven't! It's on my list, tho.

Bii

Punisher 7 and 8 had a different artist. Gerads didn't do it.

That actually makes sense. I don't know why I didn't bother to look at who the credited artist was.

I've just read Annihilation: Conquest - Starlord and have to admit it's really good. Action-packed and funny with some nice, clean art. Though having a character recap the plot of a 4-issue miniseries at the beginning of the last issue is kinda offensive :p

Looks like a lot of us have been reading this mini (myself included).
I just blazed through Abnett's Guardians of the Galaxy run and I'll post impressions later but I enjoyed it as well!

Messi

Lol I love Zero Year as much as the next guy, but that #1 spot seems a bit honorary to me vs. actually deserving it. #1 is Sandman, and Batman/Hawkeye are interchangeable. You can't even compare the writing in Batman to Sandman.

Oh my. I can't. This is so incredibly salty. My sodium levels can't take it. Please.

FoneBone

I've been waiting over 5 years for Multiversity (Morrison first talked about it in an interview with Wizard Magazine - remember them? - a few months after Final Crisis ended).

I don't think I've ever been hyped for a comic as much as this. Can't believe it's less than three weeks away - just hope it actually sticks to a regular shipping schedule.

Anyone pick up the GotG by Abbnett and Lanning Complete Edition vol 1?
Not yet. I saw it at my shop but I've spent a lot recently so I'm gonna wait a few weeks. Really fun book though, highly recommend it!

Definitely check it out or pick it up while it's on sale on Comixology. This is the run that made many of us fall in love with the team.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If you want the ultimate Thanos story, peep Thanos Quest. It's sooooo good! I did this yesterday too. It's that goddamn good.

samueeL

Banned
Some thoughts on stuff I've read recently:

Batman Black Mirror & Flash Rebirth:
I'm new to supehero comics and loving N52 Batman and Flash trades. Wanted to take a look into earlier Batty and Flash and to be honest, I wasn't as satisfied as I am with N52 stuff. There's so much baggage and so much stuff I just don't understand. There's like zillion flashes!?

So the point is I'm extremely happy about DC's reboot 'cause without it, I'm not sure if I'd be reading their comics.

Saga vol. 1:
Holy shiiit. This is way too good. So worth all the hype. I love everything about this one.I have no better words, guess I should be ordering vol 2 and 3 right now but I've put so much money on comics recently that I have to hold off for a bit...

Sex Criminals vol. 1:
I enjoyed it but I think it got hyped a bit too much everywhere. It's hard to live up to all the hype. Very original and fun to read though and will be picking up vol 2 when it comes out. Not necessary fan of the storytelling that Fraction uses on Hawkeye and this one, jumping in time back and forth.

Justice League of America vol. 1:
Read first 5 issues, the last two issues are part of Trinity War and it starts with chapter 2 so everything is confusing, have to get the part 1 and 3 from Justice League vol 4 I guess. So far so good! The team is very big though so not much page time for my favorites so far. Lots of Catwoman in this one.

Batman and Robin Vol.1:
Not as good as Snyder's Batman and it's different from other ones. I have to say I've never been fun of Robin but dynamic between him and Batman in this book is fun to read. Will continue reading this series forward!

Marvel Unlimited stuff:
I've read Amazing Spider-Man run from 1999 forward. Used to read issues from it here and there as a kid
and it's been nice to get back into it and read all the issues I missed earlier. Plan on reading
the whole run and then look for newer spidy runs.

Also read Hawkeye which has been cool. And then Black Widow's first two issues were really good and the art is
just amazing. Have to dig into more Marvel comics but there's just so many hours in day...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't. He's pretty lame. I loved Infinity but not really because of him.

Infinity Gauntlet was amazing but again, not because of him, really.

But you didn't read Thanos Quest? Goddammit it's good!

And then Black Widow's first two issues were really good and the art is just amazing.

Looks like you have plenty on your plate man already but you seem open to Image books. If you dig this, Edmondson put out a really good image series called the activity with his punisher cohort, Mitch Gerads. Might be something worth looking into. :)

samueeL

Banned
Looks like you have plenty on your plate man already but you seem open to Image books. If you dig this, Edmondson put out a really good image series called the activity with his punisher cohort, Mitch Gerads. Might be something worth looking into. :)
Thank you for the suggestion, it seems very interesting! I'll put it on my wishlist for sure, will order when I allow myself to do that next time :)

What is 'The Fade Out'?

Regardless I'll buy it because its Brubaker and Phillips.

It's a 1940s era noir mystery, centered around hollywood and the lifestyle that came with. The teaser they put out is pretty much the best thing I could link you:

Click

Thank you for the suggestion, it seems very interesting! I'll put it on my wishlist for sure, will order when I allow myself to do that next time :)

Yea, I really like it man, it's a really grounded look at the NSA, Edmondson does a great job of keeping the book interesting but resisting glamorising it into pure fiction. IT is fiction ubt with a healthy backbone of fact, really fascinating stuff if you're interested in that kind of stuff. To turn a negativ einto a positive too, the series is effectively on hold/moved to a much slower story by story output now that the two are getting work at Marvel, so if you like it, it isn't too much of a burden to keep up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom