• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkon

Yo, I feel bad for anybody tradewaiting Sandman Overture. Y'all aren't going to have your minds warmed and blown 'til 2017.

Think I'd rather read it in trade than have to wait god-knows-how-long between each issue. If I desperately need to read it I can always jump on when the final issue has a firm date.

ReAxion

Like, by he time I finish this & Black House, I think I'm going to wonder how I pretty much missed two books in the series.

I think they became DT books like... later, from when we weren't sure if DT would be finished. I love both of them. Right here and now.

Chris Burnham guardians

Bt-V525CUAAM1if.jpg

I've had it pre-ordered since it was announced. Should get it next week apparently. The second volume's due out in December according to Amazon.

Sounds about right. The wait between Dan Slott's She-Hulk Complete Collection was about three or four months IIRC. Well worth the wait considering the original trades for volumes 1, 2, and 3 are ridiculously expensive since they're out of print.

Don't forget guys, the first Complete Collection for Uncanny X-Force comes out this month too. So so excited for that. I cannot wait to reread The Apocalypse Solution!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Think I'd rather read it in trade than have to wait god-knows-how-long between each issue. If I desperately need to read it I can always jump on when the final issue has a firm date.
Sure, but you'll miss out on Zombine and I gushing all about it and getting all emotional and shit and throwing on our goth makeup and black trenchcoats and declaring it the year of Gaiman.

Boogiepop

d9ZRMEo.png

Just finished Transformers MTMTE 5 and man, this series is so amazing. Seriously, check out the humble bundle even if you're just gonna read this series. It is awesome.
That bundle is frustrating to me. I've been interested in the series, but I just don't like doing digital when I could help it. So even if I were to pick it up on the justification of trying the series out, I'd still feel a need to go back and pick those volumes up in physical format anyway, so it'd just be throwing away money.

Stupid digital, having all the good sales!

trade waiting Sandman. Or waiting until all six issues come out, cuz who knows when DC releases the trade in 21XX or some shit when Mega Man X and the rest of the Maverick Hunters rollin through town. Figure I'd hear the beating of mighty wings all at once ya feel me

talking about upcoming image comics, roche limit looks good also.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=53414

I've had a look at that one. Pretty sure the artist is the same guy who did Thumbprint with Ciaramella at IDW. The big sticking point is Moreci. He hasn't really put out anything consistent or that screams buy me before. If it gets good reviews though, I'm definitely interested in the idea and the look.

kd-z

Just finished Transformers MTMTE 5 and man, this series is so amazing. Seriously, check out the humble bundle even if you're just gonna read this series. It is awesome.
Yup, I think 15 bucks for these comics is a steal. Granted, I've only read the first issue of MTMTE, but I liked it a lot even though I know next to nothing about Transformers. Just the way it was written and drawn somehow made me instantly care about these characters. Especially Optimus, who seems to be a level 99 badass.

Oh, and Guardians of the Galaxy is very good. Some of the jokes didn't hit, some were too forced, some things form the comics were changed in a way that I didn't like*, but I'd take an enthusiastic movie like this over a grimdark sci-fi flick any day these days. Science-fiction is FUN, guys, so why do creators/companies forget about that so often?

*(Marvel Cinematic Universe kiiiinda spoiler not really but just to make sure)
I don't think we'll get a Nova movie anytime soon considering they aren't superheroes here :(

Due to the comixology sale I'm reading the first appearance of robin (Tec comics #38) and once again I discover another great influence in the Batman TAS show. In the episode Reckoning the fight with the gangsters in the skyscraper construction rafters was an homage to the robin showdown with Zucco and his goons!

Man I love discovering these little nuggets. I wonder what other references are out there from classic batman comics that haven't read. Batman TAS is so awesome

Edit: Bruce smokes a pipe! And Dick seems to get over his parents death and the death all around him pretty quickly. Oh and. Bruce just tells his identity almost on a whim. The age of compression in comics is fun to look back on

Sandman Overture - Plan to read it at the library when trade is out. Will buy Absolute edition when it gets released.

(I have been waiting to read A Clash of Kings since 2001. I am a patient man.)

Vyer

That bundle is frustrating to me. I've been interested in the series, but I just don't like doing digital when I could help it. So even if I were to pick it up on the justification of trying the series out, I'd still feel a need to go back and pick those volumes up in physical format anyway, so it'd just be throwing away money.

why not digital? At that price, for that amount of books, even if you do decide there's something there that you want to have a physical copy of you've hardly wasted any money.

I know exactly how you feel. I'm already planning on buying MTMTE physically in a few weeks, it's so good. Definitely consider the bundle though, $15 for two volumes of MTMTE alone is a steal. And even if you do pass on the bundle, you need to check out this series.
Yup, I think 15 bucks for these comics is a steal. Granted, I've only read the first issue of MTMTE, but I liked it a lot even though I know next to nothing about Transformers. Just the way it was written and drawn somehow made me instantly care about these characters. Especially Optimus, who seems to be a level 99 badass.

Oh man, I know! James Roberts does an incredible job at making Cybertron and the Transformers come to life. Before I read this my favorite was always Optimus, but now I'm torn between Ratchet and Tailgate. The dialogue feels really genuine and it's just a good comic all around. It manages to do humor and drama perfectly from what I've read so far.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Due to the comixology sale I'm reading the first appearance of robin (Tec comics #38) and once again I discover another great influence in the Batman TAS show. In the episode Reckoning the fight with the gangsters in the skyscraper construction rafters was an homage to the robin showdown with Zucco and his goons!

Man I love discovering these little nuggets. I wonder what other references are out there from classic batman comics that haven't read. Batman TAS is so awesome
I started watching Batman TAS a couple of days ago and want to watch all four seasons.

Its so great, I really cant believe that this is a cartoon, it always feels so adult and dark and the art design is so amazing.

To bad that todays cartoons arent as good anymore :/

Is Superman: TAS also worth a look?

I started watching Batman TAS a couple of days ago and want to watch all four seasons.

Its so great, I really cant believe that this is a cartoon, it always feels so adult and dark and the art design is so amazing.

To bad that todays cartoons arent as good anymore :/

Is Superman: TAS also worth a look?
It's good but never clicks like Batman. It gets close near the end. Now batman/Superman Worlds finest was an Amazing movie. And mask of the phantasm batman movie was AMAZING. A must watch

Batman Beyond is great too

tim1138

Despite completely loving the first volume, I keep looking at the second Fear Agent Library Edition sitting on my shelf and I have absolutely zero desire to read it.

Cheska

Damnit guys, it's my seven year anniversary today and all I want to do is watch Guardians of the Galaxy! And now work related bs is getting in the way. Not to mention the fact that my day started poorly due to that stupid Mondo drop :(

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
just read the first 3 issues of southern bastards and I really hope somebody makes it into a movie..... I just can't think of a older southern action star who could pull it off.

Boogiepop

why not digital? At that price, for that amount of books, even if you do decide there's something there that you want to have a physical copy of you've hardly wasted any money.

Eh, I'm just an old (in spirit) grump to a certain degree, so I always want physical, even if I'm drowning in books and running out of space. Especially with books, I just prefer the experience of reading a physical copy so much more. It's a good deal, I'll admit, but I'm sure I'm going to get the current stuff eventually, and I'd be doing that in print, and I DEFINITELY couldn't get down with starting digital then transferring to physical.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Despite completely loving the first volume, I keep looking at the second Fear Agent Library Edition sitting on my shelf and I have absolutely zero desire to read it.

If it's any encouragement, I thought the first volume was just "good." The second volume was what caused me to absolutely love Fear Agent and made it one of my favorite comics ever.

But yeah, I definitely know that feeling. Something I only learned very recently is that action leads to motivation, not the other way around. I'm sure if you force yourself to start it, you'll get totally into it.

Bii

Damnit guys, it's my seven year anniversary today and all I want to do is watch Guardians of the Galaxy! And now work related bs is getting in the way. Not to mention the fact that my day started poorly due to that stupid Mondo drop :(

Congrats on seven years!

I'm in the same predicament. Was unsuccessful on the Mondo drop this morning, couldn't be in three places at once during lunch (baby shower and two going-away parties...ultimately had to pick one), stuck at work for the next few hours doing someone else's work, and all I'm thinking about is when can I squeeze in some time this weekend to watch Guardians of the Galaxy.

On the bright side, I picked up my comics from my LCS for this week and last. Now I have a huge stack of floppies I need to catch up on, along with the trades I bought recently, and the Marvel Unlimited sub I got.

tim1138

If it's any encouragement, I thought the first volume was just "good." The second volume was what caused me to absolutely love Fear Agent and made it one of my favorite comics ever.

But yeah, I definitely know that feeling. Something I only learned very recently is that action leads to motivation, not the other way around. I'm sure if you force yourself to start it, you'll get totally into it.

Yeah, I have no doubt that I will enjoy it, just can't work up the motivation or desire to start it. Maybe I'll reread my Animal Man omnibus or my Jack Kirby's the Demon omni. Ah decisions. decisions.

arkon

Sure, but you'll miss out on Zombine and I gushing all about it and getting all emotional and shit and throwing on our goth makeup and black trenchcoats and declaring it the year of Gaiman.

I'm okay with that. Small price to pay.

I'm sure if I ask nicely when the time comes you'll pull your old posts out for me to marvel over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom