• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

bunk-the-wire.gif

:p

Oh definitely. I'm just a female character stan like Messi and would have liked to see more than just one woman on the GotG crew.

I wish I could drop all the non female books. All my favs are dc women. I just noticed that.

I am curious, if the sales on all the Bat family books collapsed tomorrow and dc had to cancel them all. Could dc survive without them? Let's say they can keep Snyder's Batman.

Does Marvel have the same dependency on Avengers maybe?

What are the best New 52/Marvel Now books currently?

Aside from Snyder's Batman, Wonder Woman, and Thor, Deadpool, and Hawkeye?

I'm ordering a decent sized order and have some of those + Secret Avengers, Superior Foes, and maybe Avengers or Green Arrow(Vol. 4 onward, I've heard).

Other recommendations?

Bii

I wish I could drop all the non female books. All my favs are dc women. I just noticed that.

I am curious, if the sales on all the Bat family books collapsed tomorrow and dc had to cancel them all. Could dc survive without them? Let's say they can keep Snyder's Batman.

Does Marvel have the same dependency on Avengers maybe?

I would think consumers would just buy alternative comics (either within DC or elsewhere) if all Bat books were cancelled. Sales for other comics will go up and DC should still be able to sustain itself. Superman and Justice League (and Harley Quinn if you don't consider that as part of the Bat books) will keep DC afloat. Aside from the plethora of Bat books, I think those three had really high sales month to month.

-

Bloody Lips #3
(as it should be)

Here we have Elektra hot on the trail of Cape Crow, tracking him down into an underwater city. None of that matters because Bloody Lips is the star of the show. Seriously, I can't quite get enough of him. Motherf***** makes a grand entrance and steals the spotlight. There's a sense of urgency and panic as Elektra tries to immobilize Blood Lips, but he keeps coming right back. Came for Elektra, staying for Bloody Lips.

I have a Marvel digital code for Elektra #3; first person to reply gets my PM.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I'm ordering a decent sized order and have some of those + Secret Avengers, Superior Foes, and maybe Avengers or Green Arrow(Vol. 4 onward, I've heard).

Other recommendations?

New Avengers is some next level shit, if you're picking up Avengers then you really should get New Avengers too.

Messi

Other recommendations?

Harley Quinn and Black Widow are two good books.

Elektra also as Bii reminds me.

I've really been enjoying All-New
X-Men.

Other recommendations?

I really liked the Shazam story that Geoff Johns did for the New 52. It's just called Shazam! Volume 1 or something. Daredevil by Mark Waid isn't a Marvel Now book (well, it is now... but still) but it's SUPER easy to jump into and it's awesome. Check that out.

New Avengers is some next level shit, if you're picking up Avengers then you really should get New Avengers too.

So if you had to choose one to get into now between New, Secret, and Avengers which would you choose? Don't have the best funding right now.

Harley Quinn and Black Widow are two good books.

Elektra also as Bii reminds me.

I've really been enjoying All-New
X-Men.

Doesn't Quinn get a lot of shit from people on here?

Even people who read the monthlies seem to like it only for the character and not for the actual content, right?

Never really been a fan of the character so not sure how I'd like that. But a recommendation is a recommendation so I'll probably check it out at some point. Black Widow sounds interesting but these are trade waiting type things so that's not even out yet, I think. ANX is a possibility.

I really liked the Shazam story that Geoff Johns did for the New 52. It's just called Shazam! Volume 1 or something. Daredevil by Mark Waid isn't a Marvel Now book (well, it is now... but still) but it's SUPER easy to jump into and it's awesome. Check that out.

I don't even like Daredevil that much as a character but I already have tons of his stuff. Or at least, his stuff takes up the most space on my shelf behind Batman. Kinda hoping to give other characters a chance.

Shazam is a possibility. I was hoping for some more DC stuff because about 75% of my collection is Marvel. Kind of want to even it out.

Are N52 Batman and Robin and/or the Dark Knight worth getting?

Messi

So if you had to choose one to get into now between New, Secret, and Avengers which would you choose? Don't have the best funding right now.

Doesn't Quinn get a lot of shit from people on here?

Even people who read the monthlies seem to like it only for the character and not for the actual content, right?

Never really been a fan of the character so not sure how I'd like that. But a recommendation is a recommendation so I'll probably check it out at some point. Black Widow sounds interesting but these are trade waiting type things so that's not even out yet, I think. ANX is a possibility.

I don't even like Daredevil that much as a character but I already have tons of his stuff. Or at least, his stuff takes up the most space on my shelf behind Batman. Kinda hoping to give other characters a chance.

Shazam is a possibility. I was hoping for some more DC stuff because about 75% of my collection is Marvel. Kind of want to even it out.

Are N52 Batman and Robin and/or the Dark Knight worth getting?

It's quite the opposite here with Harley Quinn. She catches little to no shit for her series because it is legitimately good. Made by an awesome team. Buuuuut if you don't like Harley's character this won't convince you. This is Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner playing up to what used to make harley fun sans Joker. I am a monthlies reader Btw.

Batman and Robin is absolutely worth reading. It gets all the emotional stuff that Snyder usually avoids/misses.

Black Widow trade just came out.

It's quite the opposite here with Harley Quinn. She catches little to no shit for her series because it is legitimately good. Made by an awesome team. Buuuuut if you don't like Harley's character this won't convince you. This is Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner playing up to what used to make harley fun sans Joker.

Batman and Robin is absolutely worth reading. It gets all the emotional stuff that Snyder usually avoids/misses.

Black Widow trade just came out.

Just got proven wrong haha.

Will add them all to my wishlist then. Might not make it into this order but I'm slowly but surely making my way through it.

Harley is a fun book. If you want a nice light-hearted book it's a good choice.

Not New 52 but I highly recommend Power Girl: Power Trip. It stays great all the way through and the art is great. The trade collects the whole run by that creative team and it's one of my favorites.

Messi

Just got proven wrong haha.

Will add them all to my wishlist then. Might not make it into this order but I'm slowly but surely making my way through it.

Harley catches shit here in Suicide Squad because she is badly written. They tried to change how Harley was when the new 52 started and it didn't work. This is that version not Jimmy and Amandas.

:p its no problem. I just love Harley. They can vouch for me here. The book that is loved for the character not the content here is Catwoman. :(

Not New 52 but I highly recommend Power Girl: Power Trip. It stays great all the way through and the art is great. The trade collects the whole run by that creative team and it's one of my favorites.

Great choice. Love power trip. Same creative team as Harley Quinn too.

I would think consumers would just buy alternative comics (either within DC or elsewhere) if all Bat books were cancelled. Sales for other comics will go up and DC should still be able to sustain itself. Superman and Justice League (and Harley Quinn if you don't consider that as part of the Bat books) will keep DC afloat. Aside from the plethora of Bat books, I think those three had really high sales month to month.

-

Bloody Lips #3
(as it should be)

Here we have Elektra hot on the trail of Cape Crow, tracking him down into an underwater city. None of that matters because Bloody Lips is the star of the show. Seriously, I can't quite get enough of him. Motherf***** makes a grand entrance and steals the spotlight. There's a sense of urgency and panic as Elektra tries to immobilize Blood Lips, but he keeps coming right back. Came for Elektra, staying for Bloody Lips.

I have a Marvel digital code for Elektra #3; first person to reply gets my PM.

thanks

What is the comic that has the panels with Bane carrying a baby and worrying about breaking it? It's been posted quite often on gaf. For whatever reason I always thought that was in Superior Foes, but I finally figured out that doesn't make a lick of sense.

Has been on my list forever it seems like.

Making it harder and harder to ignore/push back.

Harley catches shit here in Suicide Squad because she is badly written. They tried to change how Harley was when the new 52 started and it didn't work. This is that version not Jimmy and Amandas.

:p its no problem. I just love Harley. They can vouch for me here. The book that is loved for the character not the content here is Catwoman. :(

Great choice. Love power trip. Same creative team as Harley Quinn too.

Ah, Catwoman. Got them mixed up.

Messi

The hell ride for Catwoman readers is nearly over. One more Nocenti masterpiece to go. Enjoy it while you still can.

So, given the cameo of
Howard the Duck
at the end of Guardians of the Galaxy, what are the chances of Marvel reprinting the
Howard the Duck omnibus
?

So, given the cameo of
Howard the Duck
at the end of Guardians of the Galaxy, what are the chances of Marvel reprinting the
Howard the Duck omnibus
?

who knows, but who cares about that, what we actually need is
a complete anniversary edition Blu-Ray release of the Howard the Duck movie

dan2026

I tell you what would be awesome.

A set of omnibuses chronicling DnAs complete comic Marvel run.

Annihilation, Guardians, Nova, War of Kings, everything.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
All this Guardians of the Galaxy hype makes me kinda want to go see it in theaters... Theaters are expensive though.
The last two movies I saw in theaters were The Tourist in 2010 (someone paid for my ticket) and Avatar in 3D in 2009.
...I'm not really a go-to-the-theater person.

What is the comic that has the panels with Bane carrying a baby and worrying about breaking it? It's been posted quite often on gaf. For whatever reason I always thought that was in Superior Foes, but I finally figured out that doesn't make a lick of sense.

That would be Secret Six by Gail Simone. It's essentially DC's equivalent of Superior Foes (well, Secret Six came first, so Superior Foes is Marvel's version of Secret Six I guess), so don't feel too bad for thinking it was that. :p
Unfortunately, the trades are out of print at the moment, but there is a new TPB coming out for it. The only problem is that it won't be released until February 2015.

You just noticed that?

All this Guardians of the Galaxy hype makes me kinda want to go see it in theaters... Theaters are expensive though.
The last two movies I saw in theaters were The Tourist in 2010 (someone paid for my ticket) and Avatar in 3D in 2009.
...I'm not really a go-to-the-theater person.

This one is worth it. (How expensive are tickets where you are? Maybe you can try to catch a weekday afternoon show?)

Well we did get an Annihilation omni earlier in the year, so maybe we'll get one for Conquest next. Guardians is getting a Complete Collection so hopefully we get Nova next.
So, GotG is on the verge of becoming an A-list franchise. Thoughts?

I'm pretty happy about it. Marvel has had this collection of great and truly fascinating characters that a lot of people were completely unaware of and it's great to see them getting love. I hope the movie sequel and ongoing comic bring back some old favorites like Mantis.

It's kind of crazy that this fall we're going to have four ongoing comics dedicated to the Guardians alone. I got into the whole Cosmic stuff very late myself so it's just really amazing to see it blow up like this. Maybe my copy of the original Nova #1 will be worth something someday!
probably not!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So, given the cameo of
Howard the Duck
Howard the Duck omnibus
?

I was expecting
Thanos
in the Spoiler - but holy shit, I never thought that they would really include this dude o_O

Still one Month until Guardians releases here :(

VeeP

You know, I was reading Batman Beyond 2.0 the other day, and I never realized that Jake Chill (who murdered Terry's dad) is related to Joe Chill (who murdered Bruce's).

I'd settle for them hurrying up with that Annihilation Conquest omnibus. Sucks that the Annihilation Omni is out and the GOTG Complete Collection Vol 2 is out in December, but no Annihilation Conquest Omni on the horizon.

I have no basis/context for the Guardians of the Galaxy movie or the series, but I am thinking about going to see it later. I've never been a huge superhero fan, the comics I read are mainly not Marvel/DC but since my time in the COMICS! thread has been a daily occurrence I've found myself giving a few choice names a chance.

Damn you, COMICS! GAF...I was all comfortable with missing superhero runs, now I have to catch up with the good stuff.

tim1138

Comicsbeat has a good interview with Jeff Lemire about the end of his Green Arrow run and Justice League United.

Some choice quotes:

Kyle: So what can you tell us about the Infinitus Saga?
Jeff: Ultra the Multi-alien, the child that they found in the first arc was a big part of that moving forward, and what Ultra is destined to become is something that has a huge impact in the 31st century. So we see a few Legionnaires come back to deal with Ultra, and that kind of spirals from there into a massive cosmic saga. I grew up reading Legion and the great darkness saga so this is my attempt to throw down the gauntlet and do one of those big sprawling space opera stories with like 40 super heroes running around the galaxy. It’s been a blast.
Kyle: Can we expect to see your Legion further beyond this story, possibly?
Jeff: I don’t know. I would love to. That’s definitely a property I have a lot of ideas and opinions on. I think there’s a lot of untapped potential right now. So that would be something I would definitely be interested in. Who knows?

Kyle: Is Mike McKone going to be penciling?
Jeff: No, Mike’s done on Justice League United. He’s moved on. Mike, he’s awesome to work with, I love him, but he always knew he was only going to do the first arc because I think he has some other projects he wanted to get done. So we’re bringing in an artist named Neil Edwards from the U.K. I think Neil worked with the same studio as Bryan Hitch, so they have a common thread in their style, and he’s great. He’s been great so far.

Kyle: It’s good to have that clarification! So, with the little bit of time we have left I’d like to talk to you about Green Arrow. It’s a fabulous run, probably one of my favorite DC comics coming out right behind JLU, it’s coming to an end sadly. Was it always planned it would end at issue 35?
Jeff: No, I didn’t really know when it would end when I started it. I knew there was the big Outsiders story I wanted to tell and the Richard Dragon story, so I just kind of let it happen at its own pace. There were a couple of things that Andrea (Sorrentino) wanted to tackle project-wise and I think he was really a collaborator in every sense on this book, a real co-story teller, and I didn’t want to do the book without him. I feel like we had created something special together. I know he was anxious after 20 issues to move onto something else, move on to a new character and keep things fresh for him, so I knew that was coming. And the Futures End thing provided us with a unique opportunity to literally tell the end of Green Arrow’s story. Because he dies in Futures End, I could literally tell the story from my last issue to his death, the last 5 years of his life, and finish his story essentially. So that’s kind of a unique thing, because usually you just pass the character on so they can tell the rest of his life in one big issue.

I have no basis/context for the Guardians of the Galaxy movie or the series, but I am thinking about going to see it later. I've never been a huge superhero fan, the comics I read are mainly not Marvel/DC but since my time in the COMICS! thread has been a daily occurrence I've found myself giving a few choice names a chance.

Damn you, COMICS! GAF...I was all comfortable with missing superhero runs, now I have to catch up with the good stuff.

You don't need to know a damn thing about GOTG or even Marvel to enjoy the movie. Go see it.

You don't need to know a damn thing about GOTG or even Marvel to enjoy the movie. Go see it.

Yea I understand, I was just saying; a few months ago I'd have no interest in seeing things, but spending more time in here has broadened my horizons in terms of exposure to different types of characters/series.

Kyle: So what can you tell us about the Infinitus Saga?
Jeff: Ultra the Multi-alien, the child that they found in the first arc was a big part of that moving forward, and what Ultra is destined to become is something that has a huge impact in the 31st century. So we see a few Legionnaires come back to deal with Ultra, and that kind of spirals from there into a massive cosmic saga. I grew up reading Legion and the great darkness saga so this is my attempt to throw down the gauntlet and do one of those big sprawling space opera stories with like 40 super heroes running around the galaxy. It’s been a blast.
Kyle: Can we expect to see your Legion further beyond this story, possibly?
Jeff: I don’t know. I would love to. That’s definitely a property I have a lot of ideas and opinions on. I think there’s a lot of untapped potential right now. So that would be something I would definitely be interested in. Who knows?

Harrier, please post if you're okay.

Damn. Saw Greg land at Tampa comic con. I wanna ask him where if he can draw me something that looks like his old nightwing art. He's all by himself lol

tim1138

It's all just one big fucking tease, in the end, but God damn, I would be more than happy to see Lemire take a stab at the Legion.
Just don't draw it, please.

He also made the correct choice/s about best characters. Ultra Boy, Brainiac 5, and Mon-El are all great.

Was Mon-El still a Green Lantern in the N52? I can't remember how that arc ended before the reboot.

Zombine

Banned
So this thing happened when I went to see Guardians of the Galaxy. After the credits when
Howard the Duck
showed up, the theater was perplexed. I was so excited I shouted "ITS FUCKING
HOWARD THE GOD DAMN DUCK
" and the. After people heard me they were like "oh yeah, that's
Howard the Duck
"

Owzers

I want to go see Guardians but i hate theaters....dilemma.

Also, Ms. Marvel through issue #6 is a fun book that entirely makes me think of Molly from the Runaways

Damn. Saw Greg land at Tampa comic con. I wanna ask him where if he can draw me something that looks like his old nightwing art. He's all by himself lol

He was a good artist back in the day. Then he went off the rails

I want to go see Guardians but i hate theaters....dilemma.

Also, Ms. Marvel through issue #6 is a fun book that entirely makes me think of Molly from the Runaways

I'm waiting until next weekend and then catching an early morning showing. Less people the better

That sucks, I loved his GL costume and the idea of a Daxamite with a GL ring was completely awesome.

Well, I mean, there is Sodam Yat. They actually just reintroduced him recently in the Green Lantern Corp book though he is staying on Daxam, at the moment, helping his people recover from the events of the Durlan War.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom