• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

Aizo

Banned
I shouldn't be surprised, but I was just watching a video on Charlottesville and saw this.
DHPNIIAUMAM9jZJ.jpg:large
White supremacists using it as a dogwhistle. They've probably done this for a long time, but I've never seen it with my own eyes.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Wayward is a good book but it's like Monstress in the "fuck trying to follow this story month to month, I'm waiting on the fucking trade".

Sana Takeda is my favorite comic artist. I like Gurihiru's whimsy, but Takeda makes my heart weep in joy. Liu and Takeda is such a powerhouse combo.

Not a problem I have with most books. When I do have that problem with a book it tends to get dropped.

If I may ask - and I say this as a big fan of Wally - what do you think specifically makes Wally a less boring character than Barry?
As I said, he's a superhero who goes fast and that's it. Done. Wally went from being a cocky sidekick to having a wife and kids, all with an upbeat jokester attitude with a capability for some dark shit.

Barry had to have his past rewritten to make him "constantly driven for justice" due to his mom's death. All he has after that are feats, and feats can only go so far as to making a character interesting (See: Hal Jordan). Two of those feats broke and remade the universe. Oh and he's the Speed Force engine, which actually makes me dislike him intensely.

Let's all remember this:

Fuck Barry Allen. Yeah, I made it personal. If I want a boy scout superhero, I'll pick Superman, because at least he has fantastic mythos and a lot of symbolism and idealism attached.

Barry fucking exists and had to be retconned into being important, with the exception of Crisis.

jackdoe

As I said, he's a superhero who goes fast and that's it. Done. Wally went from being a cocky sidekick to having a wife and kids, all with an upbeat jokester attitude with a capability for some dark shit.

Barry had to have his past rewritten to make him "constantly driven for justice" due to his mom's death. All he has after that are feats, and feats can only go so far as to making a character interesting (See: Hal Jordan). Two of those feats broke and remade the universe. Oh and he's the Speed Force engine, which actually makes me dislike him intensely.

Let's all remember this:

Fuck Barry Allen. Yeah, I made it personal. If I want a boy scout superhero, I'll pick Superman, because at least he has fantastic mythos and a lot of symbolism and idealism attached.

Barry fucking exists and had to be retconned into being important, with the exception of Crisis.
To quote Batman, "The last time you really inspired anyone, was when you were dead." Though to be fair, Final Crisis was the last high point for Barry Allen IMO.

And Geoff Johns's retcon that murdered his mother and put his father in prison was awful, and I hate that it informs the story beats for both the TV show and the movies. There truly was no reason to induct him into the orphaned superhero club.

VanWinkle

I was thinking a little bit ago about DC's Dark Matter initiative coming up later this year, where they're bringing the artists back into the big picture, making THEM sell the books. And that's great, but hasn't the landscape changed with artists over the last decade or so? I mean, you don't see artists stay on books very long these days (with some exceptions, of course). I love and follow several artists, but they're more arc-sellers than series-sellers any more.

Especially when you take into account someone like Jim Lee, who is doing the art on Immortal Men. You know either Lee will be off of the book within 12 issue AT MOST (likely less), it will get consistently delayed, or he will only be doing a small amount of the pages after the first couple of issues.

Let's all remember this:

It feels like you just hate that they're trying to change Barry into a more interesting an important character. How is that a bad thing? He wasn't interesting, so they add a love interest, they add a personality, they had some level of importance. That's how you make a bad character good. Modern Barry Allen Flash doesn't feel like a very different character than 90s era Wally, except for the fact they unfortunately don't have him a married man anymore.

Ross61

I was thinking a little bit ago about DC's Dark Matter initiative coming up later this year, where they're bringing the artists back into the big picture, making THEM sell the books. And that's great, but hasn't the landscape changed with artists over the last decade or so? I mean, you don't see artists stay on books very long these days (with some exceptions, of course). I love and follow several artists, but they're more arc-sellers than series-sellers any more.

Especially when you take into account someone like Jim Lee, who is doing the art on Immortal Men. You know either Lee will be off of the book within 12 issue AT MOST (likely less), it will get consistently delayed, or he will only be doing a small amount of the pages after the first couple of issues.

It feels like you just hate that they're trying to change Barry into a more interesting an important character. How is that a bad thing? He wasn't interesting, so they add a love interest, they add a personality, they had some level of importance. That's how you make a bad character good. Modern Barry Allen Flash doesn't feel like a very different character than 90s era Wally, except for the fact they unfortunately don't have him a married man anymore.
And that's exactly what they're trying to change.

The reason that anybody actually cared for Wally nowadays is because they got rid of Barry during Crisis of Infinite Earths and was out of the picture for a couple of decades.

And right there is a big part of the problem; every incarnation of Barry from this point on, including the CW series and the movies has been made to be more like Wally. You're saying that making him a copy of another character is a step forward? How? Again, Barry occupies no unique space. He has nothing of his own, and they know that, so they keep adding shit to make him relevant because there's nothing uniquely endearing about him. At all. I've read Flash Rebirth, some of Manapul's run, some of this run, and some Justice League and literally none of it fixes the problem. He's a boring character, plain and simple. It's fine to have your character be a straight forward superhero. I mean, he works perfectly in Young Justice because he is the only one occupying that Silver-Age Good Ol' Boy Scout space, thus making him completely unique.

Hal has the same problem, but at least he's always been a cocky womanizer, if an incredibly boring and milquetoast version of a cocky womanizer.

I don't hate that they're trying to make Barry more interesting, I hate that the idea of making him interesting is just making him into a different character. Which isn't actually making him more interesting.

Sandfox

The BC rumor is that those artists are only signed for the first three issues. Guys like Jim Lee aren't going to put out a monthly ongoing long-term so we'll see what happens there.

Whether or not the changes to Barry's origin make him better is debatable and quite a few people actually hate the changes.If the solution to making Barry a better character is making Wally and completely changing his motivation for being a hero, then why bring him back? Personally I don't like how Flash Rebirth just led to the rest of the Flash family getting screwed over just so Barry could stand out more.

Aizo

Banned
Could I have input on some of Guy Delisle's stuff?
Pyongyang, Jerusalem, Burma Chronicles, and Shenzhen are the ones I'd like to hear opinions on.
Ugh. I wish I could just borrow these from the library like I used to always do :(

VanWinkle

You see more artist doing more issues in series in Image or Indie comics nowadays than the Big Two.

Yeah, that's very true.

And right there is a big part of the problem; every incarnation of Barry from this point on, including the CW series and the movies has been made to be more like Wally. You're saying that making him a copy of another character is a step forward? How? Again, Barry occupies no unique space. He has nothing of his own, and they know that, so they keep adding shit to make him relevant because there's nothing uniquely endearing about him. At all. I've read Flash Rebirth, some of Manapul's run, some of this run, and some Justice League and literally none of it fixes the problem. He's a boring character, plain and simple. It's fine to have your character be a straight forward superhero. I mean, he works perfectly in Young Justice because he is the only one occupying that Silver-Age Good Ol' Boy Scout space, thus making him completely unique.

Hal has the same problem, but at least he's always been a cocky womanizer, if an incredibly boring and milquetoast version of a cocky womanizer.

I don't hate that they're trying to make Barry more interesting, I hate that the idea of making him interesting is just making him into a different character. Which isn't actually making him more interesting.

I wrote a big post, but I just don't think it's worth getting into. Neither of us will convince the other. You just like characters to be flawed, and I get that. I love flawed characters. But I also like the occasional pure character, like Hal and Barry. They have a strong sense of what's right and wrong, and it's not in their character to be bad people.

Vic_Viper

Is the Black Science Deluxe Hardcovers the same size as the rest of Remender's books like Low and Deadly Class, or is it the same size as Lazarus and East of West?

Yeah, that's very true.

I wrote a big post, but I just don't think it's worth getting into. Neither of us will convince the other. You just like characters to be flawed, and I get that. I love flawed characters. But I also like the occasional pure character, like Hal and Barry. They have a strong sense of what's right and wrong, and it's not in their character to be bad people.

No I don't just like characters to be flawed. I like characters to be interesting. I can like both flawed characters and those that largely grow beyond their flaws. I like pure superheroic characters. Dick Grayson is my favorite superhero of all time. I just like characters that are interesting. Barry's space in the world had been occupied decades ago, and they brought him back with a forced push to make him somehow universally important and also be more like Wally. I don't know how anyone can see that as an improvement.

There are a lot of morally pure heroes, they just actually have flavor.

Messi

Is the Black Science Deluxe Hardcovers the same size as the rest of Remender's books like Low and Deadly Class, or is it the same size as Lazarus and East of West?

Yes but the binding is dreadful and is super tight. Such a let-down. Remender HCs are always that size as of a few years ago.

So I didn't get as much through Ostrander's suicide squad run during my vacation as planned. I stumbled into a my hero acedamia manga run which was a lot of fun.

But I'm now 13 issues into the series and this is a dense read! Older comics can be very text heavy but usually this was some old crutch where the writer described everything the artist was illustrating,that you can just skip or skim. That's not the case with this run. It's not wasted text, or even the bendis stylemof interjecking witty banter through repetitious dialogue. It's all essential but jam packed in where so much is covered in a single issue but it doesn't feel rushed. You still get the mission setups, the character interactions, juggling all the character motivations from a rotating cast, etc. and it still knows not to be chatty during the action. Even showing restraint at times. Anyway. A cool series but one I'm realizing I'll need to chip away at more than maybe marathon read because it can get exhausting. A 2 issue arc feels like a 6 issue 2017 arc.

Okay, who's to blame for multiple Mahvoo titles below 20K?

I mean, the big two under 20K cutoff list is: Gwenpool, Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, Hulk, Black Bolt, Royals, Doom Patrol, Captain Falcon, Hellblazer, Ultimates 2, Ice Man, Captain Marvel, Superwoman, U.S. Avengers, Spider-Man 2099, Secret Warriors, Luke Cage, Rocket, Black Panther Crew, New Superman, Blue Beetle, Bombshells, America, Nick Fury, Ocupy Avengers, Monsters Unleashed, Mother Panic, Shade The Changing Girl, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Gotham Academy Second Semester.

Is anyone really surprised at that list? Captain America Sam Wilson is maybe in my "huh, that's interesting" list, but the rest is pretty much expected.

You have the benefit of reading it in trade. In single issues the pacing on the Godspeed arc was awful and the story seemed like it went on forever.

I read it issue to issue...

113 Hulk 8 Marvel 19,143
119 Royals 5 Marvel 18,622
130 Iceman 3 Marvel 15,743
139 U.S. Avengers 8 Marvel 14,821
144 Luke Cage 3 Marvel 14,320
150 Hawkeye 8 Marvel 13,772
157 New Super Man 13 DC 12,951
165 Blue Beetle 11 DC 12,075

People need to realise the genius of David F Walker.

Here, let me help further.

New Marvel Legacy books that'll race below the cutoff, or stay there.

Falcon, Marvel Two-in-One, Spirits of Vengeance

DC Dark Matter and others, for good measure:

The Silencer, Immortal Men, Damage, Michael Cray, Mister Miracle.

Sandfox

Spirits of Vengeance is a miniseries and Mister Miracle is a maxiseries.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Isnt Two-in-One a One Shot?

I mean, the big two under 20K cutoff list is: Gwenpool, Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, Hulk, Black Bolt, Royals, Doom Patrol, Captain Falcon, Hellblazer, Ultimates 2, Ice Man, Captain Marvel, Superwoman, U.S. Avengers, Spider-Man 2099, Secret Warriors, Luke Cage, Rocket, Black Panther Crew, New Superman, Blue Beetle, Bombshells, America, Nick Fury, Ocupy Avengers, Monsters Unleashed, Mother Panic, Shade The Changing Girl, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Gotham Academy Second Semester.

Is anyone really surprised at that list? Captain America Sam Wilson is maybe in my "huh, that's interesting" list, but the rest is pretty much expected.

Theres a lot of good reading on that list. It's sad really, maybe comics really were a mistake or maybe if theres no tv show or film to go with a series these days people don't read it.

Top Bottom