• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

I think you can actually read American comics early in Japan due to the time zone, if you're lucky enough to shop at one of the few places that has the comics available.

Guess its not all bad. Hmm I think that I'd rather pay normal prices and wait a few hours more though. Usually have to buy online and wait for a few days for my stuff anyway, my LCS is a few hours away from me and I can only make it on weekends when I can anyway due to work.

Sometimes on big releases I order it online, but then read the issue thorugh slightly dodgy means online anyway so I don't have to wait for it to arrive and for people to spoil stuff big before my issues are delivered to me. Guess knowing I've actually paid for it makes me feel less guilty ha. Thats my plan for Metal for tonight.

Holy shit that big Spider-Men II reveal couldn't be more Bendis if it tried.

4fc.jpg

Most literal use of this ever.

Also, Spider-Men II spoilers, but placing my bet now:

Taskmaster's gonna turn against older Miles. Dude never responds well to threats, and it's implied he's already annoyed with Morales when he mentions 'If he can't honor a deal, we have no deal'. I'm putting my money on him helping Peter/Miles later.

shingi70

Banned
Why is miles still from the ultimate universe? In all my years reading comics when meeting stuff not retconning a character into the universe has always seemed to have problems down the line.

Keeping Maker who he was made sense, but it seemed like a smarter move to have miles always been in the 616.

Glix

Whats up with this Silver Surfer run.

Has Allred been drawing it since the first issue? I freaking love Allred.

I didn't think was a spoiler?
Haven't we known that Milee has retained his 616 memories for a while now.

It's not a spoiler.

They made it quite clear that Miles is from the Ultimate universe. Hell, Bendis himself has said that upcoming Jessica Jones will be all about the others outside of Miles in a similar situation.

"Spoiler" doesn't mean "thing I didn't know". Once a book is out, it's fair game. Even if you somehow missed it up until now, it was mentioned quite clearly in Spider-Men II #1.

dan2026

How many times now has Batman fucked everyone over by keeping stuff to himself and not trusting anyone.
The man is a goddamn liability.

I didn't think Metal was going to live up to all the hype (I managed to avoid the spoilers), and it *still* managed to exceed my expectations. Wow.

Minor continuity question from the first half:
some League member, can't remember who, makes a joke about Aquaman's harpoon hand shortly before they Voltron up...I thought that didn't happen in the n52/Rebirth universe. What's the story here?

Sorry if you guys already worked this out, I've been dodging Metal posts all week ;)

dan2026

I didn't think Metal was going to live up to all the hype (I managed to avoid all the spoilers), and it *still* managed to exceed my expectations. Wow.

some League member, can't remember who, makes a joke about Aquaman's harpoon hand shortly before they Voltron up...I thought that didn't happen in the n52/Rebirth universe. What's the story here?
I dunno I feel DC continuity is a mess.
Like they didn't know who Red Tornado or the Hawks were?

But Superman is back to being the post crisis version, so he should know.

Fuck knows, I try not to think about it.

I didn't think Metal was going to live up to all the hype (I managed to avoid all the spoilers), and it *still* managed to exceed my expectations. Wow.

Sorry if you guys already worked this out, I've been dodging Metal posts all week ;)

Technically a new world after Superman Reborn. It's not the most major retcon to the former N52.

Exactly, how could they not know those guys, but know about the other thing

dan2026

I think it's best to assume anything and everything is canon in DC unless you are told otherwise.
And even then, in universe there has been so much time and space fuckery, the DCU seems to exist in this endlessly maliable state.

Where everything is canon, but at the same time nothing is.

manfestival

what should I be reading to catch up to the events leading up to secret empire? Also what are some good recent stories to read? I got some free time I need to kill

DC continuity is a mess right now. Superman alone muddies everything.

shingi70

Banned
There really should a who's who's or some type of mini with the current status quo. Pretty sure Red Tornado were in that Metsl Men mini from 2015/2016.

Holy shit that big Spider-Men II reveal couldn't be more Bendis if it tried.

Really, because I got the impression that
Peter actually knows more than he is letting on. The fact that he was so quick to change the subject and then waited until a day later to "verify" what he told Miles made me believe that he is intentionally trying to keep Miles from digging into his 616-self.

Or at least,
Pete's initial search of him is what actually triggered 616!Miles to drop completely off the grid.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
This comes up every once and a while, but it bears repeating.

If you're buying trades on comixology, check amazon first.

The Gwenpool volume that came out today is 50% off on Amazon.

I always thought it made sense. If you look at one of the main theme of Batman especially when aimed around his early days. Organized crime is big in Gotham, Batman shows up, organized crime makes way for Super villains. With that in mind if Robin shows up on the scene, shouldn't Harley be Jokers foil to the boy Wonder.
It doesn't make sense. Robin's a mantle and Harley isn't, so Harley and Nightwing being a thing doesn't fit in that way. Harley is only Dick's foil in the sense that they're both sidekicks on the opposite sides of things. There's nothing there in terms of thematic and/or character elements, unlike Batman and Joker.

It only makes sense if you're the type who believes every character that interacts with each other should be a romantic couple.
I chuckled, but goddamn do I hate those kinds of jokes.
I don't pay attention to canon. I just want my stories.

I love continuity because I always think it's a fun thing to dissect and talk about (hours about Kingdom Hearts. HOURS), but I don't let it affect a story for what it is. I think I saw Bobby Roberts (I think, maybe someone else) refer to it as "continuity addiction" which seems to be a very common thing and a reason as to why people outside of comics can't bring themselves to get into them. People get so obsessed as to the order of events that they forget the events themselves. Losing the trees for the forest.

So, like, as a guy who's never been that into dc can somebody give a quick summary of whats up with the super books?
Did the cobtinuity changed aftrr rebirth or something(havent read in years)?
Superman's son? Asian superman? Superwoman? Superlex? Anybody wanna fill in?

So, like, as a guy who's never been that into dc can somebody give a quick summary of whats up with the super books?
Did the cobtinuity changed aftrr rebirth or something(havent read in years)?
Superman's son? Asian superman? Superwoman? Superlex? Anybody wanna fill in?

Superman Reborn changed everything. Prior to Superman Reborn, there were two Supermen/Lois Lanes. The younger New 52 versions, with the New 52 version of Superman dying before Rebirth. Then there was the Convergence Superman, who was essentially the post-Crisis version of the character who was allowed to move forward. He had married Lois and had a son, Jon. When New 52 Superman died, Post-Crisis Superman stepped up so the world would have a Superman, with his son eventually becoming Superboy.

Eventually, for some reason, it was revealed that both Supermen/Loises were two parts of the same people. They were merged and at that time the history's were merged. Superman and Lois were married, Superman never dated Wonder Woman, people have always known about his kid, most of the Morrison-era revamps of character/villain origins are gone completely. The problem is stuff that happened to New 52 Superman is sometimes tied to New 52/Rebirth versions of characters and DC has yet to hash out how that works now.

Superlex is still around. Superwoman is Lana Lang with essentially the electric Superman powerset. New Super Man is still around.

Superman Reborn changed everything. Prior to Superman Reborn, there were two Supermen/Lois Lanes. The younger New 52 versions, with the New 52 version of Superman dying before Rebirth. Then there was the Convergence Superman, who was essentially the post-Crisis version of the character who was allowed to move forward. He had married Lois and had a son, Jon. When New 52 Superman died, Post-Crisis Superman stepped up so the world would have a Superman, with his son eventually becoming Superboy.

Eventually, for some reason, it was revealed that both Supermen/Loises were two parts of the same people. They were merged and at that time the history's were merged. Superman and Lois were married, Superman never dated Wonder Woman, people have always known about his kid, most of the Morrison-era revamps of character/villain origins are gone completely.

Superlex is still around. Superwoman is Lana Lang with essentially the electric Superman powerset. New Super Man is still around.
So its basically a new continuity? How did new 52 supes die?
And I wasnt asling if those charafters were still around, I want to know how they came about in the first place.

shingi70

Banned
So its basically a new continuity? How did new 52 supes die?
And I wasnt asling if those charafters were still around, I want to know how they came about in the first place.

New 52 Superman absorbed too much solar energy and turned to dust.

New Superman was given his powers using energy from new 52 Superman solar flare power.
Before he died new 52 Superman zapped Lana and gave her electric superman powers

Fury451

Banned
Let us know how you like Doom Patrol when you've read it Donnie. After reading the first issue on release I wasn't that into it, but I came back into it after the first arc was done and really dug it. If you go with the crazy and give a bit of time for things to start revealing themselves its really good stuff.

I found that all the Young Animal books benefited from trades to get the full appreciation for the stories. Mother Panic especially benefits from reading the first arc in one go.

Side note, with Doom Patrol, the Niles Caulder stuff was inexplicably hilarious to me.

Malyse

All New GOTG: More than any other comic, this feels like something set up to transition fans of the films to readers. The beats hit the same pathos and excitement that the movies excelled at and feel almost like the same universe extended.

ASM Renew Your Vows: This is such a fantastic take on the Spider-Man mythos. Honestly, it's the type of book that I would expect DC to put out: completely disconnected from any crossovers or events, just doing its own thing with no help from anyone else. I hate that I expect it to get cancelled.

Astonishing X-Men: Why isn't this the main X book instead of Gold? I think the least interesting part of X-Men is the school concept, so the fact that this makes no mention of it is a plus. I also appreciate how it doesn't make super deep cuts that would cause confusion with new readers, as I'm somewhat unfamiliar with a lot of the characters. Top tier book.

Also, Rogue's outfit is dumb and I love it.

Batman: The War of Jokes and Riddles would make a great movie. I can already see an incredibly tense long take of the dinner scene in my mind and I love it. This is by far the best issue of the arc and it reaches the heights I had initially expected. They don't even make reference to the dumb framing device. I wish this was an OGN. That would have worked so well.

Batwoman: I don't know what happening, but it sure feels like a tie in to Metal. I think old superheroes are an inherently interesting concept and old female action protagonists are super rare. I don't know what's happening but I am IN.

OH THIS IS NOT A METAL TIE IN AT ALL.

Glix

Metal was cool but really felt like Dark Days #3. A lot of setup still.

That Kubert alt cover for #2 thats part of the preview someone posted above is fucking BOSS.

Astonishing X - The art was such let down for me after #1. I am not a huge Dedato fan. I am a huge Cheung fan. Story is still cool. Love a good SK story.

That was it for me this week. Grabbed Batman The Return of Bruce Wayne too.

Top Bottom