• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I am done with Birds of Prey. Maybe the earlier volumes were better, but this one is bad. The story and dialogue were very mediocre to start with. Then the art went from bad to worse. Every page has at least one panel with cleavage, framed using the rule of thirds no less. Not worth my time completing the book. (The artist changed after a couple of chapters. Hoped for improvement and I got this).

6WkhWBu.jpg

6HmodPr.jpg

Messi

I think I am done with Birds of Prey. Maybe the earlier volumes were better, but this one is bad. The story and dialogue were very mediocre to start with. Then the art went from bad to worse. Every page has at least one panel with cleavage, framed using the rule of thirds no less. Not worth my time completing the book. (The artist changed after a couple of chapters. Hoped for improvement and I got this).

Why does thst dog in the background have cleavage?

I still pull it. The book has some of my favorite female hero's

jordisok

Got bored over the weekend and decided to try out a few books:

Silver Surfer #1: My surfer knowledge is basically zero, quite enjoyed this though. Issue felt quite *compressed* in parts (expositionexpositionexposition) but actually thought it did a great job of setting everything up in one issue considering the twin/parallel narratives going on. Some amusing angles going on with the art as well *surfs upside down*.

Shutter #1: Bought this pretty much off of a Bii post :). First few pages are absolutely beautiful, made me wish I had a physical copy, shows a shitload of care went into the intro and it definitely worked out. Kinda got a bit lost at the end but it is ~explorers/mystery~ and everything up to that point was great. Also 'brand mew day', amazing. Will definitely keep reading.

Transformers: MTMTE #1: Ehh felt totally out of my depth on this one think I'd need to read more and maybe the main series? Just had a hard time following who/what was where/how. Maybe thats a fault with me though.

Got bored over the weekend and decided to try out a few books:

Silver Surfer #1: My surfer knowledge is basically zero, quite enjoyed this though. Issue felt quite *compressed* in parts (expositionexpositionexposition) but actually thought it did a great job of setting everything up in one issue considering the twin/parallel narratives going on. Some amusing angles going on with the art as well *surfs upside down*.

Shutter #1: Bought this pretty much off of a Bii post :). First few pages are absolutely beautiful, made me wish I had a physical copy, shows a shitload of care went into the intro and it definitely worked out. Kinda got a bit lost at the end but it is ~explorers/mystery~ and everything up to that point was great. Also 'brand mew day', amazing. Will definitely keep reading.

Transformers: MTMTE #1: Ehh felt totally out of my depth on this one think I'd need to read more and maybe the main series? Just had a hard time following who/what was where/how. Maybe thats a fault with me though.

Silver Surfer 1-3 was a fun little small arc.

Wow. Nice month.

Also went in on a bit of that Transformers sale and although it's way hard to keep track of who's who, I'm pretty on board. LOSH meets Battlestar = okay!

Mindwipe

It might help to have read The Death of Optimus Prime one shot (it's in the collection) that sets up the status quo a bit.

But to be honest part of the point of it is that these people are C and D listers (with a few exceptions) so you're not missing that much background detail on these people. But it is the "main series" now really - there's this and RID, but they're of equal import and don't really connect for quite a while.

I'm struggling to think of what might be confusing for someone who hasn't read IDW continuity, but maybe just a brief summary of the preceding issues from the Chaos event?

So, with a spoiler tag (but I wouldn't worry, Chaos was *rubbish*):

In IDW continuity Galvatron, Cyclonus and Scourge are not upgraded forms of Megatron et al, but different characters, and actually ancient Cybertronians who were part of the crew of the Ark 1, a ship to explore the cosmos that was sucked into a dead universe eons ago. Long story short, they are manipulated by an evil force, come back and invade Cybertron, make a load of Scourge clones and, of course, lose. Cyclonus has his life spark reignited by the experience, but the rest of the Decepticons are scattered and the war between Autobot and Decepticon finally ends. Optimus Prime doesn't actually die, but decides to leave Cybertron, giving Bumblebee and Hot Rod the two halves of his now exhausted Matrix of Leadership. Hot Rod (now going by Rodimus) takes a bunch of Autobots to go and find the Knights of Cybertron for something to do, guided by a star map on his half of the Matrix, on board the Lost Light.

Zombine

Banned
Star Lord is wearing his movie costume now?
Oh Marvel...

Well at least he has the mask back, kinda.

Lol Marvel can try as hard as they want, the movies are not bringing in many permanent fans with MCU inspired costumes.

edit: Javier Garron sounds like a knock off Jason Aaron. Nice try, DC, but you're not fooling me one bit.

Cheska

Why is Buffy in the book?

I have mixed feelings about the upcoming Grayson. On one hand it's more Dick. And everyone loves Dick. But on the other it's not Nightwing.
I just hope they handle Dick well. Because if there is one thing I can't abide it is a poor man's Dick.

I have mixed feelings about the upcoming Grayson. On one hand it's more Dick. And everyone loves Dick. But on the other it's not Nightwing.
I just hope they handle Dick well. Because if there is one thing I can't abide it is a poor man's Dick.

I hope it's in good hands.

dan2026

Is Nightwing actually using a gun now, as that cover implies?

That seems very out of character. He better not actually be killing people.

Zombine

Banned

3/10

jordisok

So, with a spoiler tag (but I wouldn't worry, Chaos was *rubbish*):

In IDW continuity Galvatron, Cyclonus and Scourge are not upgraded forms of Megatron et al, but different characters, and actually ancient Cybertronians who were part of the crew of the Ark 1, a ship to explore the cosmos that was sucked into a dead universe eons ago. Long story short, they are manipulated by an evil force, come back and invade Cybertron, make a load of Scourge clones and, of course, lose. Cyclonus has his life spark reignited by the experience, but the rest of the Decepticons are scattered and the war between Autobot and Decepticon finally ends. Optimus Prime doesn't actually die, but decides to leave Cybertron, giving Bumblebee and Hot Rod the two halves of his now exhausted Matrix of Leadership. Hot Rod (now going by Rodimus) takes a bunch of Autobots to go and find the Knights of Cybertron for something to do, guided by a star map on his half of the Matrix, on board the Lost Light.

This is actually really helpful! I'm not sure if I'll read on, but yeah it was more the background stuff, it seemed to jump into some relationships which I had no reference for, it's just my unfamiliarity with TF comics at fault I think! (and maybe my brain)

Zombine

Banned
Goddamn Finch draws a thick Wonder Woman. That alone is reason to buy this. She has organs and enjoys food.

Um.

David Finch said:
I think she's a beautiful, strong character. Really, from where I come from, and we've talked about this a lot, we want to make sure it's a book that treats her as a human being first and foremost, but is also respectful of the fact that she represents something more. We want her to be a strong -- I don't want to say feminist, but a strong character. Beautiful, but strong.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Now that's a Wonder Woman I can get behind.

Re-introducing Spyral and trying to tap into the weirdness of Morrison might make a book a tad confusing, and I feel it's very brave for DC to try and challenge readers with a meaty, hard Dick.

I'm hoping it starts off small scale but then widens its scope as it moves forward.

But think of the Bat-appearance!
In another book, a team-up book perhaps? Absolutely, in a heartbeat. In Wonder Woman? Nah.

I may just be talking out of my @$$ here, but Wonder Woman needs a strong solo book that can tell a great story and exist in its own world without getting tied down to the greater DCU. People don't read Snyder/Capullo Batman each month, and say to themselves "when is Flash going to show up?" do they? And, I know it's early yet, but from interviews it sounds like Johns is going to be doing the same thing with his Superman run: creating a strong solo book that features Superman and his built-in supporting cast, that doesn't pay too much attention to the character's goings-on in, say, the "Doomed" crossover event. And Wonder Woman really needs that kind of book because, unlike those other guys, she pretty much just has the one book (I know SM/WW exists, but come on -- that's a Superman comic) to go it alone. Wonder Woman had that kind of book for three years, and it's been considered one of the few success stories of the New52; but now, it sounds like DC is saying "nope. We need to bring in Superman, and Batman, and the Justice League, if this thing is going to sell." They're saying after three years that her book needs that crutch, so that they can ONCE AGAIN define who Wonder Woman is and what her place is in the DCU, because they STILL. CAN'T. FIGURE.THAT. OUT.

Let Wonder Woman's solo series BE her solo series.

[/rant]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom