• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

oh man, Mignola's a perfect one - does he still do cons? wonder if ive even missed him out this way

and Tate's, you must be local! you doing supercon? wish theyd bring it back to the beach, was easier to catch a lyft there, haha. anyway, i got excited seeing the Jark Kirby museum's gonna have something there this weekend.

Yup, I live right around the corner from Tate's lol

Haven't been to Supercon surprisingly. It's always during bad weekends for me every year. I'd like to go eventually since I have friends who go.

I don't know what to read first. Abe Sapien or Rucka's Punisher run. Choose for me GAF.

Also, come up with a witty title for the August OT, preferably Thanos-related.

Look Messi! I am crowdsourcing!
I'll vote Rucka punisher. I love big boss punisher

Praise the Chief, CMX started adding Silver Age Doom Patrol this week
Nice. I bought the omnibus because I didn't think they would

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
How come Iron-Man has that ugly ass armor during Infinity? Also, why is Spider-Man gone? I assume it has something to do with Superior Spider-Man since he has that suit.

Sandfox

Jason Aaron‏ @jasonaaron 4m4 minutes ago

A lot of you want me to know that there were no Homo Sapiens in 1 million BC. And I gotcha. But this is the Marvel version of prehistory...

Jason Aaron‏ @jasonaaron 2m2 minutes ago

A version with Asgardian gods, cosmic firebirds, mystic kung fu cities, flaming mammoths and... something else.

Jason Aaron‏ @jasonaaron 2m2 minutes ago

Something very big. Buried deep in the earth. Something that's the key to understanding where we're going next. And where it all started.

Jason Aaron‏t @jasonaaron 3m3 minutes ago

In other words, all will be revealed. Starting with MARVEL LEGACY #1. And from there... you'll have to wait and see.

Comic fans complain about some inconsequential things lol.

EDIT: added more tweets

Messi

Comic fans complain about some inconsequential things lol.

tires-on-the-batmobile.jpg

Sandfox

Jason Aaron‏ @jasonaaron 4m4 minutes ago

My run on STAR WARS ends with #37. So I can have the bandwidth to tell this story. A story that begins with the Caveman Avengers.
Aaron taking over Avengers is looking pretty likely.

Aizo

Banned
It's great. It's probably the most consistent weekly series ever, since there was the same writing team the whole time, and Giffen did breakdowns on every single issue. It's definitely a love letter to the DCU. There are arcs going on with Renee Montoya (The Question), Ralph Dibny (The Elongated Man), Supergirl, Detective Chimp, Dr. Fate, Black Adam, Animal Man/Starfire/Adam Strange/Lobo (what a combo there), Booster Gold, John Henry Irons (Steel), The Metal Men, etc. THERE'S SO MUCH GOING ON. But they never focus on all these different arcs every issue. They give them time to breathe.
Sold.
I'll get part one for 6 American fun munnies.

How good is it? Somebody convince me to buy volume one on CMX right now.

It's great. It's probably the most consistent weekly series ever, since there was the same writing team the whole time, and Giffen did breakdowns on every single issue. It's definitely a love letter to the DCU. There are arcs going on with Renee Montoya (The Question), Ralph Dibny (The Elongated Man), Supergirl, Detective Chimp, Dr. Fate, Black Adam, Animal Man/Starfire/Adam Strange/Lobo (what a combo there), Booster Gold, John Henry Irons (Steel), The Metal Men, etc. THERE'S SO MUCH GOING ON. But they never focus on all these different arcs every issue. They give them time to breathe.

In addition to this, it was period where Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman were out of commission for a year (following the events of Infinite Crisis) so it's a time where these less popular characters really get to shine because there is no easy answer of "Why doesn't Superman just come in and fix everything?"

Plus it's the first appearance of modern day Batwoman.

VanWinkle

In addition to this, it was period where Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman were out of commission for a year (following the events of Infinite Crisis) so it's a time where these less popular characters really get to shine because there is no easy answer of "Why doesn't Superman just come in and fix everything?"

Plus it's the first appearance of modern day Batwoman.

Oh yeah. Man, there was so much going on that I forget just how much there was, haha.

Galaktikon sounds rad

From Brendon Small, the man who brought you Dethklok and Metalocalypse, comes a high stakes intergalactic extreme rock comic. Based on his album, Galaktikon, we follow Triton, intergalactic hero of the universe, who will face the ultimate outer space struggle: getting over his divorce.

Eric Powell/Steve Mannion, next week (in print at least...don't see it on CMX yet)

Oh shit. I'm extra sold now. I thought I had seen her intro in Rucka's detective series.

FWIW, it's still Rucka who is introducing her in 52.

Can I just take a moment and say how awesome it is to go read Rucka's amazing Detective Comics run in the early '00s where he starts to really flesh out the GCPD and Montoya in particular and watch that move into Gotham Central and then into 52. Same with Sasha from 'Tec and then into OMAC and Checkmate.

Rucka was on fire with his DC Work from '99 to 2010ish. It's a shame that they chased him away for so long.

VanWinkle

Just writing on this one.

Ah okay. Still interested.

FWIW, it's still Rucka who is introducing her in 52.

Can I just take a moment and say how awesome it is to go read Rucka's amazing Detective Comics run in the early '00s where he starts to really flesh out the GCPD and Montoya in particular and watch that move into Gotham Central and then into 52. Same with Sasha from 'Tec and then into OMAC and Checkmate.

Rucka was on fire with his DC Work from '99 to 2010ish. It's a shame that they chased him away for so long.

He really was doing some amazing stuff at that time.

I hope he will continue to do some stuff at DC now that he's done with WW.

Wanderer5

Oh shit. I'm extra sold now. I thought I had seen her intro in Rucka's detective series.

Probably my biggest reason that I looked at 52. Kind of funny, my first exposure of her was her new 52 run, then later on got around to Rucka's run of her in Detective Comics (which I really love), and then checked out some of 52, her intro. I was going backwards with her!

Aaron knows humans didn't exist in this form that far back, right?
Really? THAT'S what breaks your immersion? Too human for the times?
That sucks.
Twas En Saba Nur's only claim to fame outside of being trash.
How come Iron-Man has that ugly ass armor during Infinity? Also, why is Spider-Man gone? I assume it has something to do with Superior Spider-Man since he has that suit.
During Infinity, SpOck was fighting Proxima Midnight and Shuma Gorath with White Tiger, Luke Cage, Monica Rambeau, and Power Man.
Love that quote
I hope he does a better job than Waid.
I feel like Whitely has been doing just fine. Waid handling plotting and Whitely handling script is fine with me. I've been enjoying it much more since.

Aizo

Banned
I wanted to ask you all a question. Which graphic novels that were given awards/celebrated in the past 10 or so years do you think are still worth buying and reading? I have to be very picky ordering these in Japan because they often get a 20% price increase due to shipping. In addition to that, in America they're often even cheaper than the price without the shipping premium just due to a sale price that never goes away.
Wish I could just get these at the library like I used to :(

So, I have limited space and limited funds. Which graphic novels from the past 10 years are worth me importing?
Can you link to the volume you bought on CMX? Or the one you're going to buy if you haven't yet.
https://www.comixology.com/52-Vol-1-New-Edition/digital-comic/379435
Probably my biggest reason that I looked at 52. Kind of funny, my first exposure of her was her new 52 run, then later on got around to Rucka's run of her in Detective Comics (which I really love), and then checked out some of 52, her intro. I was going backwards with her!
I went backwards with Teen Titans, because Johns' run was coming out when I was a kid. It feels wrong to go backwards, but sometimes it's not so bad.

I mean, folks ask about this stuff because comics keep screwing around with real-life stuff occasionally. If Little Mermaid spent 5 minutes dealing with the vagaries of maritime navigation, other questions would pop up. You have books like Sam Cap dealing with police brutality, so folks are now primed to ask about other stuff.

It's annoying yes, but it ain't entirely on fans alone.

VanWinkle

I wanted to ask you all a question. Which graphic novels that were given awards/celebrated in the past 10 or so years do you think are still worth buying and reading? I have to be very picky ordering these in Japan because they often get a 20% price increase due to shipping. In addition to that, in America they're often even cheaper than the price without the shipping premium just due to a sale price that never goes away.
Wish I could just get these at the library like I used to :(

So, I have limited space and limited funds. Which graphic novels from the past 10 years are worth me importing?

https://www.comixology.com/52-Vol-1-New-Edition/digital-comic/379435

Ah okay. Only unfortunate thing is, the other volumes on there (the ones that don't say "New Edition") have a commentary page after every issue from either Johns, Morrison, Rucka, or Waid, talking about the process of doing this series, or other random stuff. It was pretty fascinating.

But you can't beat $6 for 26 issues, so that was definitely the way to go.

As for your original question, this is a book from 13 years ago, but do you have DC: The New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke? It is, in my opinion, the best superhero comic story ever written. And it's won many awards. According to wikipedia, it has won Eisner Awards for Best Limited Series, Best Coloring, and Best Publication Design, Harvey Awards for Best Artist, Best Colorist and Best Continuing or Limited Series, and Shuster Award for Outstanding Canadian Comic Book Cartoonist (Writer-Artist). Also won an Eisner Award for Best Graphic Album (Reprint) and a Harvey Award for Best Graphic Album of Previously Published Work when the Absolute Edition came out.

Aizo

Banned
A few people in here and in my DC recommendations thread said it's a must-read, but I haven't gotten it yet. It is 40 bucks on CMX, 20 bucks on regular amazon for a digital copy, and about 60 bucks for a physical copy in Japan.
Oh wait. Softcover is like 40 bucks. Hardcover is 60.

Wait. WTF. That means hardcover is cheaper in Japan than America, but softcover is twice the price.

I mean, folks ask about this stuff because comics keep screwing around with real-life stuff occasionally. If Little Mermaid spent 5 minutes dealing with the vagaries of maritime navigation, other questions would pop up. You have books like Sam Cap dealing with police brutality, so folks are now primed to ask about other stuff.

It's annoying yes, but it ain't entirely on fans alone.
I think the point is separation. Accept that fiction is different from fact, and fiction is different from the real world.

Everytime I watch or read something, unless it's explicitly interconnected, every work is in its own universe with its own rules. Makes the separation so much easier.

Li Kao

I started Saga yesterday. Which is maybe not so good a news because it would imply that I'm not satisfied with my DC catch up and want more from my comics. Which means I will add even more things to read. Which means the obvious saturation will happen like always and I will soon stop reading comics.
That being said.

I was not totally sold on Saga after these first 3 issues, but I think it's largely on me and my OCD personality. The world is so alien and original that I had some problem following the book. Yeah, I saved the Morrison quote.
Overall it was still head and shoulder on the upper tier of comics books, I already love 'The Will' and 'The Stalk', 'Lying Cat' too.
I should read more good comics and less big two bloat. I would enjoy reading better. Fuck my OCD and need to follow an universe and not just good stories.

any of you guys have any bucket writers/artists you're hoping to meet at a con one day? there's guys like Moore, Ennis etc that have nearly 0 chance, but ive missed Waid every time he's hit south florida. this weekend's supercon, im hoping to grab prints from Mike Zeck & maybe Jim Shooter.
i've missed Matt Fraction twice, both times because he had to cancel unfortunately

I think the point is separation. Accept that fiction is different from fact, and fiction is different from the real world.

Everytime I watch or read something, unless it's explicitly interconnected, every work is in its own universe with its own rules. Makes the separation so much easier.
That doesn't work if the comic is trying to base itself in our world or use things from our world in the comic's world. That is one of the problems with Marvel in the long run. They keep saying that they want to borrow from what is going on at the time in society.

That doesn't work if the comic is trying to base itself in our world or use things from our world in the comic's world. That is one of the problems with Marvel in the long run. They keep saying that they want to borrow from what is going on at the time in society.
Hell, aren't Marvel bringing back "The world outside your window!" for the Make Mine Marvel relaunch?

Barda eating brunch:

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Thor, Iron Fist, Ghost Rider, Strange, Panther., Starbrand... Phoenix?

Now that Marvel has revealed the 1,000,000 B.C. Avengers, they've turned to asking questions about what "Legacy" means for the publisher's modern line. In a release, Marvel has posed six questions that will presumably be answered in Marvel Legacy #1 - the answers for some of which may be tied to the 1,000,000 B.C. Avengers themselves.

Here are the questions:

Who sent the call from Planet Hulk?
What is hunting for the Infinity Stones?
Where in the world is Captain America?
When will Thor fight the war of realms?
Why does Jean Grey journey to Canada?
How has the body of Iron Man disappeared?

Along with these questions, Marvel released an image of the assembled 1,000,000 B.C. Avengers, seen above. Marvel Legacy #1 is due out on shelves September 27.

Fuck it, I'm in

ElNarez

Banned
-presumably one of the characters from Planet Hulk, I'm gonna say Calera or Hulk's son, because for some reason they didn't die, it's a comic book twist
-gee who the fuck could it be (it's Thanos/The Black Order)
-who gives a fuck about a nazi
-at the end of Aaron's Thor run
-because Weapon X
-time bullshit means Tony isn't dead anymore

THERE, I SAVED Y'ALL ABOUT A YEAR'S WORTH OF MARVEL COMIC BOOKS, GO TO HELL

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
-presumably one of the characters from Planet Hulk, I'm gonna say Calera or Hulk's son, because for some reason they didn't die, it's a comic book twist
-gee who the fuck could it be (it's Thanos/The Black Order)
-who gives a fuck about a nazi
-at the end of Aaron's Thor run
-because Weapon X
-time bullshit means Tony isn't dead anymore

THERE, I SAVED Y'ALL ABOUT A YEAR'S WORTH OF MARVEL COMIC BOOKS, GO TO HELL
Goddangspoliers!!! 😡😡

Top Bottom