• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splatt

GA got a new writer, right?

Jeff Lemire.

DC's best book IMO.

DEC120180_2.jpg
GreenArrow22panel2.jpg

Andrea Sorrentino's art mmmm :3

Parch

Fables is ending...
The only way to save Vertigo now is to move over Bat books there.
The death of Vertigo has been anticipated for a while now. Indie companies have already passed and filled any potential Vertigo void.

tim1138

Dunno if anyone is interested in that Johns JSA omni, but Amazon currently has it marked at $65 which is like half off.

Cade

Whoa, they're bringing Nightcrawler back? Awesome. I didn't read BOTA, but can anyone give me the lowdown on what's going on with Nightcrawler? I was super bummed when he died.

Also, that Scooby-Doo/Batman book is so on my radar now. Those shows were some of my favorites as a kid.

arkon

Fables had to end some time. I guess it's better to go out the way Willingham wants. I was still enjoying it but I must admit I'm about 4-5 trades behind so I don't know how the series fares later on.

They've gotta be hoping one of the new series pick up the slack.

Owzers

PS4
3ds XL Zelda bundle
Wii U if it gets a 3d Land bundle or a cheaper Mario bundle

I can't focus on comics with this much gaming taking over my brain. It would take a book so good that i couldn't look away. Something written by the creator of our generation, Jeph Loeb, teaming up with a man who knows that a woman's torso is really made out of clay, twisting and bending on a whim. If only such a thing existed.

But on to lesser comics, Fatale is losing me a little. After skipping a couple of those standalone historical issues the new arc starting in issue 15 feels eerily too similar to the previous vagueness of the beginning arcs. Josephine getting into trouble and bewitching men isn't that interesting in itself absent of a larger plot.

Finally read all my comics, had a shitty week, haven't been that active.

Top 5

5. Superior Spider-Man
4. The Sandman Overture
3. Green Lantern Annual
2. Nightwing Annual
1. Saga

Hey guys, thought I'd ask here, not having much luck on eBay. I'm looking for digital codes for Wolverine and the X-Men #37 and Battle of the Atom #2. I'm happy to Paypal. I guess 'PM' me.

On another note, I'm looking for feedback on Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four Omnibus (Vol. I). I totally forgot I'd ordered this and it just arrived last week. I haven't found many reviews about the quality of the printing itself though. This is my first Marvel omnibus collection, so before I tear off the plastic wrap, I'd love to hear some affirmation.

Wool

Just read my comics from Wednesday.

BotA #2 - Just terrible.
How many people died? There were a bunch of deaths and none of them felt like they mattered at all. I couldn't even figure out how most of them died. The Colossus from the future got psychic-killed?
As mediocre as the story was, I thought the art was the real problem. All the fight scenes were really cluttered and sloppy.

Saga #15 - Best issue of the third arc. Definitely setting big things up.

Sandman Overture #1 - So good. J.H Williams needs to do more! The only Sandman I've ever previously read was volume 1, so I hope I don't miss stuff. The 4 page foldout was great.

Why do people keep thinking Vertigo is going away? They're launching a whole bunch of new books over the next few months.

FracturedZero

Neo Member
Just read my comics from Wednesday.

BotA #2 - As mediocre as the story was, I thought the art was the real problem. All the fight scenes were really cluttered and sloppy.

This. I thought I might be the only one that had a problem with them. It was hard to stay interested because it was almost impossible to tell what was going on most of the time.

Tizoc

The profanity in Saga #15 makes me roll my eyes sometimes.

Oh and
the Stalk is an expression of Sophie's desires; when Stalk appears and convinces Will not to go after Alana, it's prob. because Sophie would much rather live in peace, but after eating the berries she goes wacko and why the Stalk appears when Sophie attacks Will

Mafro

There's a preview on CBR for the first issue, it has a lot of cursing and low humor.

Clown Fatale #1 Preview (CBR)

Also, Jason Aaron's take on (BotA spoilers)
Kitty quitting the JGS
seems to mirror my own, which doesn't jive with how Bendis played it.

You can read the entire interview here:

Jason Aaron's post-BotA exit interview (CBR)
I honestly think this event has just straight up killed what was left of my interest in the X-books. I ended up dropping WatXM and X-Men due to it dragging them down, and I'm in no rush to pick them back up again. I've had zero interest in Bendis' books, and as much as I like Aaron's stuff I'm not bothered about his upcoming Amazing X-Men.

Jeff Lemire.

DC's best book IMO.

Andrea Sorrentino's art mmmm :3

Reaaally looking forward to reading this one when it arrives in trade. I hate to colour everyone's opinion of me but I will admit. In my impatience for this book coming out, and having saw the most recent trailer referencing something very batman, I watched the pilot episode of Arrow the other night...and kind of loved it haha! Yes, it's goofy, yes, it's EXTREMELY the CW, but it also had a lot of cool little references that made me feel they had a good plan as to where they are going and what they want to do with the plot. Also
Deathstroke's mask?!

kswiston

Sandman Overture #1 - So good. J.H Williams needs to do more! The only Sandman I've ever previously read was volume 1, so I hope I don't miss stuff. The 4 page foldout was great.

You really should have picked up Vol 2. Even if you didn't love Vol 1. Other than 2-3 issues, Vol 1 is one of the weaker books.

Reaaally looking forward to reading this one when it arrives in trade. I hate to colour everyone's opinion of me but I will admit. In my impatience for this book coming out, and having saw the most recent trailer referencing something very batman, I watched the pilot episode of Arrow the other night...and kind of loved it haha! Yes, it's goofy, yes, it's EXTREMELY the CW, but it also had a lot of cool little references that made me feel they had a good plan as to where they are going and what they want to do with the plot. Also
Deathstroke's mask?!

nah man, that shows awesome
The first couple are a little ...slow getting used to some of the corny stuff it does I guess but whatever

tim1138

Deathstroke's mask?!

No reason to feel shame, it's a fun show.

nah man, that shows awesome
The first couple are a little ...slow getting used to some of the corny stuff it does I guess but whatever

No reason to feel shame, it's a fun show.

I think Arrow has the perfect tone for a superhero show. It is just a really fun show to watch.

Sweet, good to know there's some fans. Figured it was the kind of thing I might get jumped on for haha, I don't know. I like it though, it feels a little like they went for batman the tv show, but used the Green Arrow property instead. I haven't read the comic before (Lemire's run will be my first) so I don't know how true it is to the books, but I like it. I watched the second episode earlier, and it's fun as they slowly spool out the mystery of the island. These CW shows are super long still right, like 23 eps? So it migggght get a little boring if the mobster of the week thing goes too long before they get to the big bad, but I'm happy with the format for now as they introduce the cast and build the relationships. Even if they just showed the various rich crime business men being a little more evil before Arrow comes for them would be fine.

Omega

Banned
Yeah Arrow is awesome..at least for a CW show.

I enjoy watching it though. It's one of the few shows that I make sure I actively watch now.

Sweet, good to know there's some fans. Figured it was the kind of thing I might get jumped on for haha, I don't know. I like it though, it feels a little like they went for batman the tv show, but used the Green Arrow property instead. I haven't read the comic before (Lemire's run will be my first) so I don't know how true it is to the books, but I like it. I watched the second episode earlier, and it's fun as they slowly spool out the mystery of the island. These CW shows are super long still right, like 23 eps? So it migggght get a little boring if the mobster of the week thing goes too long before they get to the big bad, but I'm happy with the format for now as they introduce the cast and build the relationships. Even if they just showed the various rich crime business men being a little more evil before Arrow comes for them would be fine.

My opinions on Arrow; Yeah you're going to get your Bad Guy of the week, alot. But they actually do a fairly good job of having each episode build upon the next. Everything is moving towards something. This is, for example, something that Smallville really didn't have until the later seasons. There is a payoff that, in my opinion, is earned. Also, while the first few episodes are the weakest as they find their ground it only improves with the occasional hiccup. If you watch the actors you'll see them slowly getting into their roles and finding a good balance.

Season 2 doubles down on how good the first Season was and promises, if it continues, to be downright amazing.

As far as the book goes; The show and the book actually seem to be fairly symbiotic at the moment. Elements of the show are actually going back into the book, Harley Quinn from BTAS style.

tim1138

My opinions on Arrow; Yeah you're going to get your Bad Guy of the week, alot. But they actually do a fairly good job of having each episode build upon the next. Everything is moving towards something. This is, for example, something that Smallville really didn't have until the later seasons. There is a payoff that, in my opinion, is earned. Also, while the first few episodes are the weakest as they find their ground it only improves with the occasional hiccup. If you watch the actors you'll see them slowly getting into their roles and finding a good balance.

Season 2 doubles down on how good the first Season was and promises, if it continues, to be downright amazing.

As far as the book goes; The show and the book actually seem to be fairly symbiotic at the moment. Elements of the show are actually going back into the book, Harley Quinn from BTAS style.

Except for Katie Cassidy/Laurel. She is still awful.

Everything else you've said is spot on though, and I really like how quick of a pace it moves at. There's story threads that wouldn't be revealed until mid or end season on other shows that are done in two episodes on Arrow. It really is a fun show and it's great to see other elements of the DCU working their way in for season two.

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I'll bear them in mind as I go. It's nice to have something to watch that is a little popcorn-y too. Normally we watch quite serious stuff likeBreaking Bad, Game Of Thrones and so on, I think the last thing watched like this was Supernatural years ago. Seems like an interesting time for the franchise though, there's even some references to Queen Industries in
Arkham Origins

How is dark horses Empowered? Seen a deluxe copy in the store and was kind of curious.

It's a superhero satire with heavy bondage overtones [seeing as you like Sunstone, it should be right up your alley ;) ]. Once you accept that, it's friggin' hilarious. I still need to grab the second deluxe edition.

Greetings from beyond!

2013 has been a long, hard, and good year so far. Heartache and victory.

Putting this gift to use, I've helped raise funds for the Hero Initiative, The Cleveland Food Bank, The March of Dimes New Mexico, Save Babies Through Screening Foundation, and the Cleveland Courage Fund.

Then being invited to be a guest at King Bone Press at C2E2, meeting comic fans and doing con sketches for them.

A big thanks to Cheska and friends locally, and around the internet. Cheska commissioned a Huntress illustration from me that a fantastically talented friend colored, and that illustration won me a table at the Cincy Comic Con where I was finally able to meet my long time hero Arthur Adams.

In a turn of good fortune, the convention organizers seated me next to an artist whose work I've admired for years. Jay P. Fosgitt who offered me fantastic insight, advice, and encouragement.

My first convention for 2014 is already a lock, and I'm working on a project with the intention of bringing my interior work up to par with my pin-up work in order to be taken seriously as a cartoonist.

Embrace the GAFterlife.

Dex-Starr > Lying Cat

Yeah I said it, what?

I know, right?

Messi

It's a superhero satire with heavy bondage overtones [seeing as you like Sunstone, it should be right up your alley ;) ]. Once you accept that, it's friggin' hilarious. I still need to grab the second deluxe edition.

Awesome. I will give that a go then. Heavy bondage overtones you say :p. Speaking of Sunstone, I want more pages. Its seems like those folks are swamped with work. Its been like a month and a half with no real updates :(.

Another thing I am curious about. I want to read an X-Men book, would I be lost if I started with this new one this month?

Wool

You really should have picked up Vol 2. Even if you didn't love Vol 1. Other than 2-3 issues, Vol 1 is one of the weaker books.

Oh, I liked it okay. It was the only volume they had at the library so that's all I read. I'll need to pick up the rest of them sometime soon now that I'm reading overture.

Awesome. I will give that a go then. Heavy bondage overtones you say :p.

By "heavy bondage overtones" I mean she gets tied up and stripped close to naked with almost every outing. XD Her super suit only works until it takes damage. And it gets torn all the time. Hysterical book. Though aside from the occasional one-shots, he only releases the series in full volumes. You might also wanna check out Adam Warren's deviantArt page.

Another thing I am curious about. I want to read an X-Men book, would I be lost if I started with this new one this month?

The X-Men titles are somewhat interconnected these days. Uncanny X-Men and All-New X-men go hand-in-hand, so I wouldn't read one without the other. X-Men is Brian Wood's title that focuses on the all-girl team, and Wolverine & The X-Men is about Wolverine's school. If you're only looking to read one, I'd probably go with Wood's book. But I'm a big X-Men fan, so I pick up all of them.

The Battle of the Atom story just wrapped up, so if you read spoilers on what happened there, you should be ready to jump in.

I've been re-reading this lately. What an utterly fantastic book. To anyone who hasn't checked out Joshua Dysart and Alberto Ponticelli's 4 volume run on the Unknown soldier, please please run out and buy it. The book can quite honestly be an emotionally crippling experience at times, the sadness which you might feel when you really how little of it is fiction. The book deals with an american raised doctor of Ugandan descent who returns to his place of birth help treat the decimated population in the face of the war between the government and the LRA (Joseph Kony). In the face of some of the horrors he see's, a split personality emerges, which kicks off a story that is really really compelling. From the mystery of who the unknown soldier really is, the things he is forced to witness and to do to fight the LRA, it is all backboned by the true horrors, the real situations people are faced with. I'm really not doing this any justice but the series is only 4 volumes long and utterly fantastic, even in the face of being cut short during its run. The trades are also of magnificent quality, with just the nicest paper (seems silly compared to what I've just been saying but it's true).

Parch

My opinion on cosplay has changed. From the impressively good to the incredibly bad, it's always worth a look.

Owzers

Is anyone hoarding their copy of Action Comics #1 by Morrison knowing that it will be worth $1000 in 10 years?

EDIT: It's becoming increasingly clear that i asked this already and everyone said to just sell my issues now and not hoard, but we've already lost because the post has been made. I have my stack of 1-18 Morrison Action taking up space and i want money :O

I've been re-reading this lately. What an utterly fantastic book. To anyone who hasn't checked out Joshua Dysart and Alberto Ponticelli's 4 volume run on the Unknown soldier, please please run out and buy it. The book can quite honestly be an emotionally crippling experience at times, the sadness which you might feel when you really how little of it is fiction. The book deals with an american raised doctor of Ugandan descent who returns to his place of birth help treat the decimated population in the face of the war between the government and the LRA (Joseph Kony). In the face of some of the horrors he see's, a split personality emerges, which kicks off a story that is really really compelling. From the mystery of who the unknown soldier really is, the things he is forced to witness and to do to fight the LRA, it is all backboned by the true horrors, the real situations people are faced with. I'm really not doing this any justice but the series is only 4 volumes long and utterly fantastic, even in the face of being cut short during its run. The trades are also of magnificent quality, with just the nicest paper (seems silly compared to what I've just been saying but it's true).

Yep one of the best vertigo books.

tim1138

Dang, I wish I would have been able to make it to Cincy Comic Con. Your stuff looks great TTOB, congrats!

That Aquaman v Mer-Man sketch cover is amazing.

One of the shops I hit up on free comic book day was handing out random stuff for free and I picked up Unknown Solider number 7. I can definitely see what you're saying about the series. The issue I read was intense and, yeah, compelling would be the word.

In other news, I read my issue of #1 for $1 Baltimore: The Plague Ships. Great stuff. I so want to read the Baltimore comic series but before I delve into the comics, I'd like to read the illustrated novel that started it all. Though it isn't necessary to appreciate the comics, I've heard its a great novel and the ideal place to start.

I wish y'all bought more Dark Horse comics. Dark Horse Presents, Grindhouse, Buzzkill and Bloodhound are some of my favorite pulls these days.

Also read the Thought Bubble Anthology 2013. A good variety of playful and contemplative pieces. The contributions by Brandon Graham, Gabriel Ba, and Fabio Moon were some of my favorites. The newspaper style presentation was kinda of neat, too.

Nice paper? On a Vertigo trade?!

I'm interested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom