• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Just wanted to re-iterate that Hickman has been amazing. His FF run was glorious and Infinity far surpassed anything I expected.

Can't wait to read his next major blockbuster.

Is this all I need to follow get the most out of Infinity, I heard the tie-ins otherwise are pointless per usual:

infinity.jpg

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Top 5 Image (alphabetical):
* Chew
* East of West
* Fatale
* The Manhattan Projects
* Prophet

Amazon has a deal through the end of tomorrow: enter BOOKDEAL as a code and receive 30% of any one book, up to $10 value. Limited to books sold and shipped by Amazon itself, of course.

ElNarez

Banned
Really the possibilities of a universe where every Image published book is connected are endless.

The year is 100XX. John Prophet is alive. Coming across a decrepit World Corp complex, he meets Jon and Suzie. "Holy shit", Jon says "We traveled in time through tantric sex". Suddenly, a giant screen lights up. It's Marko and Alana. "Yo we got a teleporter now.", Marko says. "Wanna bone?", he adds "You can even bring your friend with the weird-ass knife". A flash. This is the next level of comic book space orgies. Re-think everything you know about butts. IMAGE COMICS. EVERYONE IS FUCKING NOW.

Saga
Chew
Black Science
Lazarus
Sex Criminals
Fatale
Prophet
The Manhattan Projects
East of West
Invincible

Marvel
Daredevil
Hawkeye
Captain America

IDW
Locke and Key

DC
LOLOLOL, no.

Yeah just realized its impossible to do a top 5 for image.

I forgot
Lazarus
East Of West
Black Science
Sex Criminals
Nowhere Men

So theres 2 top 5s of all Top top quality books.

arkon

Image:
Prophet
Manhattan Projects
East of West
Chew

I don't think I can complete a top 5 for image. The other series either haven't been out long enough for me or I'm not reading them. Same for DC.

DC:
FBP

Marvel:
X-Men Legacy
Daredevil
Hawkeye
FF
Young Avengers

Others:
Transformers: MTMTE
Adventure Time
Six-Gun Gorilla

Oooh, lists!

Marvel:
Uncanny Avengers
Thor: God of Thunder
Daredevil
Superior Spider-Man
Infinity

DC:
Batman
Green Arrow
Animal Man
Earth 2
Superman/Wonder Woman

Image (I don't read as much Image as I could/should, soo):
Saga
Manhattan Projects
The Walking Dead
Black Science

IDW
TMNT
Doctor Who

I like sci-fi but didn't like Trillium. I found the art bad and the story mildly interesting but overall mediocre (I got issues 1-4). I like my art strong and clean and my Sci fi at least vaguely grounded within its own rules. Will I like Black Science?

I ask because with Saga perpetually stuck in a holding pattern I am thinking of dropping it which will open up an Image pull list slot.

Eldren

I finished Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine last night and I really liked it. Thanks to the people here who mentioned it, I'm glad I picked it up. It seems to me like one of those books where you want to re-read it as soon as you finish to look for hints about upcoming events that were hidden in previous issues. Great stuff.

I have two completely unrelated questions that I'm hoping people can answer.

1) What's Nowhere Men like? It's gotten a lot of praise here but the preview I read over at CBR didn't really give much indication of what the story was about. The first trade is pretty cheap, is it worth picking up?

2) In the old Spider-Man animated series, the Spot was one of those villains who was pretty lame but kind of endearing at the same time and he was one of my favourites. Has he been in many comics? I don't think I've ever seen mention of him appearing in a Spidey book.

I finished Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine last night and I really liked it. Thanks to the people here who mentioned it, I'm glad I picked it up. It seems to me like one of those books where you want to re-read it as soon as you finish to look for hints about upcoming events that were hidden in previous issues. Great stuff.

I have two completely unrelated questions that I'm hoping people can answer.

1) What's Nowhere Men like? It's gotten a lot of praise here but the preview I read over at CBR didn't really give much indication of what the story was about. The first trade is pretty cheap, is it worth picking up?

2) In the old Spider-Man animated series, the Spot was one of those villains who was pretty lame but kind of endearing at the same time and he was one of my favourites. Has he been in many comics? I don't think I've ever seen mention of him appearing in a Spidey book.

1) It's superb fun and whacky science and conspiracies. You should just try out the first trade. It has a lot of extra world-building tibits like interviews and articles inside sort of like watchmen that makes it extra-engaging.

2) I'm sure he appeared in ASM by #580-something, but you should read Waid's Daredevil for his most recent appearances. Spot is part of a couple of arcs there.
You should also read Waid's Daredevil because it is absolutely awesome.

Eldren

1) It's superb fun and whacky science and conspiracies. You should just try out the first trade. It has a lot of extra world-building tibits like interviews and articles inside sort of like watchmen that makes it extra-engaging.

Hmm that sounds pretty awesome. I do like world-buildy extras. Ok I'll check it out, you've convinced me.

2) I'm sure he appeared in ASM by #580-something, but you should read Waid's Daredevil for his most recent appearances. Spot is part of a couple of arcs there.
You should also read Waid's Daredevil because it is absolutely awesome.

I didn't know he was in Waid's Daredevil. Oh man, I was planning on getting the trades for the whole series eventually anyway so that's a nice bonus. Marvel are currently releasing hardbacks collecting two trades each but I don't know whether to wait for those (they look really nice but it'll be quite a long while before the whole series is collected) or just stick to regular trades. Hmm I'll think about it.

Thanks for the answers!

I've been wanting to try this one out. How is it?

Actually very fun, the art isn't bad, and I'm a fan of the writers they've had - namely Joshua Hale Fialkov, Tony Lee, Scott & Dave Tipton, and Andy Diggle. I'd also been reading some of the special issues - like The Forgotten and the Star Trek/Who crossover. All very fun.

The 50th Anniversary special just ended, an twelve-part maxi-series called Prisoners of Time. Each of the first eleven issues featured one Doctor (+ some of their noteworthy companions), and the twelfth issue is the multi-Doctor issue. The entire thing is gonna be collected in a hardcover that comes out later this month, so if you're interested, give it a look.

After this month, I believe, the partnership between BBC & IDW for the comics series ends. The last issue will be a Special, written by Paul Cornell, in which The Doctor travels to our world and finds out about Doctor Who. If the summary holds true, he'll meet a fan of the show, and then he'll actually meet Matt Smith.

Rereading Uncanny Avengers because it's so boss and, in issue #2:

Rogue: "'Alive' is plenty to be grateful for after being knocked cold by villain types.

I hope to god Wanda is.

Much as I hate that nut job, she's Erik's daughter, an' if these folks were dumb enough to kill her...

...we're all in for some bad trouble."

Whoops.

Hmm that sounds pretty awesome. I do like world-buildy extras. Ok I'll check it out, you've convinced me.

Somehow this comic has slipped totally under my radar! I took a sneak peek, what the first issue looks like and the very first pages convinced me enough to visit my LCS tomorrow. Thanks for the tip, guys!

Actually very fun, the art isn't bad, and I'm a fan of the writers they've had - namely Joshua Hale Fialkov, Tony Lee, Scott & Dave Tipton, and Andy Diggle. I'd also been reading some of the special issues - like The Forgotten and the Star Trek/Who crossover. All very fun.

The 50th Anniversary special just ended, an twelve-part maxi-series called Prisoners of Time. Each of the first eleven issues featured one Doctor (+ some of their noteworthy companions), and the twelfth issue is the multi-Doctor issue. The entire thing is gonna be collected in a hardcover that comes out later this month, so if you're interested, give it a look.

After this month, I believe, the partnership between BBC & IDW for the comics series ends. The last issue will be a Special, written by Paul Cornell, in which The Doctor travels to our world and finds out about Doctor Who. If the summary holds true, he'll meet a fan of the show, and then he'll actually meet Matt Smith.
That sounds fantastic, I'll definitively check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom