• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeeaykay

Outside of instocktrades, which always has great sales, are there any other holiday sales I should be aware of to help add to my collection? Thinking of picking up the JMS Spiderman Ultimate Collection vol. 1 & 2.

Parch

Had my shot at Black Science. I liked it. It looks good. Very colorful. It's pure science fiction. Not enough of that in comics IMO. They're working on world and character development, so I can be patient with the story for now.
Best thing about it is it's different. I can't really think of anything out right now quite like it, so for that reason alone I'm willing to keep giving it a try. Yay for different.

Ales Kot tweeted about another possible future collaboration with Riley Rossimo and I replied encouraging more creator owned work from him. In response he tweeted:

@m4quinon: There's at least four creator-owned projects already under way, not including many more c-o projects, and not including Zero.

So that's rad! I read Zero just to hear his voice as spy/military stuff isn't usually my cuppa. But Change blew my soaks off and I'm really excited that he's lining up so many creator-owned projects. I need to read Wild Children, too, dammit!

Y'all should really follow your favorite comic creators in Twitter. Even if you open an account solely for that reason. Comic creators tend to share a lot about their process and future plans. And it's a nifty bonus that they will often interact with fans. It's not like they are big movies stars. They are actually able to- and interest in- reading most of their replies.

Ales Kot tweeted about another possible future collaboration with Riley Rossimo and I replied encouraging more creator owned work from him. In response he tweeted:

@m4quinon: There's at least four creator-owned projects already under way, not including many more c-o projects, and not including Zero.

So that's rad! I read Zero just to hear his voice as spy/military stuff isn't usually my cuppa. But Change blew my soaks off and I'm really excited that he's lining up so many creator-owned projects. I need to read Wild Children, too, dammit!

Y'all should really follow your favorite comic creators in Twitter. Even if you open an account solely for that reason. Comic creators tend to share a lot about their process and future plans. And it's a nifty bonus that they will often interact with fans. It's not like they are big movies stars. They are actually able to- and interest in- reading most of their replies.
Yes I learned in the past two days that Mystrrious Strangers is pretty much dead. Remender wont answer me about his series with Tocchini though....

Alright comic GAF I'm about to buy my first comic, and the comic I'm currently looking at are these 2.

Ghost Rider Vol.6 #13
Captain America #13

I wanted my first comic purchase to be of 2 of my favorite heroes kicking some butt. I heard the Ghost Rider comic is of GR fighting
War Hulk
, while the Captain America comic puts him up against someone called the
Nuke
. I heard these are the best fights these 2 are in.

So are these 2 good starter comics for these 2?

Cheska

Has anyone else read JMS's Superman Earth One run? I just finished the first volume and have enjoyed it immensely. It may be because I've been on a huge Superman kick, I've ordered the entire animated Superman series, Smallville and Lois and Clark so I can't get enough of this right now lol.

Alright comic GAF I'm about to buy my first comic, and the comic I'm currently looking at are these 2.

Ghost Rider Vol.6 #13
Captain America #13

I wanted my first comic purchase to be of 2 of my favorite heroes kicking some butt. I heard the Ghost Rider comic is of GR fighting
War Hulk
, while the Captain America comic puts him up against someone called the
Nuke
. I heard these are the best fights these 2 are in.

So are these 2 good starter comics for these 2?

For captian America start with issue one. It's collected in a trade called " castaway in dimension Z"

Nudull

Banned
Has anyone else read JMS's Superman Earth One run? I just finished the first volume and have enjoyed it immensely. It may be because I've been on a huge Superman kick, I've ordered the entire animated Superman series, Smallville and Lois and Clark so I can't get enough of this right now lol.

I did, and I found it pretty fun too (I was on a Superman/Man of Steel hype kick when I first read it back then, though, but it's held up). You should totally read Superman: Secret Identity by Kurt Busiek, I cannot recommend it enough. :)

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Has anyone else read JMS's Superman Earth One run?

One of the most boring Superman stories I've ever read. Actually, it's tied with the Grounded arc...which JMS also wrote.

Cheska

I did, and I found it pretty fun too (I was on a Superman/Man of Steel hype kick when I first read it back then, though, but it's held up). You should totally read Superman: Secret Identity by Kurt Busiek, I cannot recommend it enough. :)

I'll have to check that out. I have All Star Superman of course, but I ordered Superman: Birthright, so just slowly making my way through them. I also subbed to Superman Unchained.

One of the most boring Superman stories I've ever read. Actually, it's tied with the Grounded arc...which JMS also wrote.

Dang, really? Which Superman stories did you enjoy/recommend?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'll have to check that out. I have All Star Superman of course, but I ordered Superman: Birthright, so just slowly making my way through them. I also subbed to Superman Unchained.

Superman's a tough character for me to enjoy, but All-Star is by far the best Supes story out there--it's just one of the best comics created and shared with the world.

Aside from that, I really enjoyed Superman For all Seasons. The story meanders a bit and it's not the most exciting story, but it's absolutely gorgeous--some of Sale's best art--and it really tries to tie in Clark's life in Kansas and his life in Metropolis. It's almost never spoken about, even from a purely artistic angle, which is disheartening.

bPeIC1Q.jpg

tim1138

Kot is awesome on Twitter, super friendly and always replies back, I exchanged a lot of tweets with him at the beginning of his short lived Suicide Squad run. Matt Kindt, Chris Burnham, Andrea Sorrentino, and JM DeMatteis are also super approachable and friendly. Burnham is probably my favorite comics personality on Twitter.

Guys, top 5 ongoing Marvel series? I need some rebound after that ASM#700 fiasco...

Daredevil
Daredevil
Daredevil
FF but I haven't read the last 3
Daredevil

Hawkeye and Superior Foes of Spiderman are alright too
and I like X-men/ Wolvie and the X-men/ All new Xmen/ Uncanny X-men/Amazing Xmen but I don't know if I'd tell people to go there.

Superior Spiderman was fun but I might be bored of it.

I've never been much of a Superman fan, but I want to be. Is Earth One a good place to start?

ReiGun

I've never been much of a Superman fan, but I want to be. Is Earth One a good place to start?
It's not a bad place to start, but you could do better. "Birthright" or "A Superman for All Seasons" are much better if you're looking for an origin story.

Guys, top 5 ongoing Marvel series? I need some rebound after that ASM#700 fiasco...
Captain America
Thor: God of Thunder
Hawkeye
New Avengers
Daredevil

It's not a bad place to start, but you could do better. "Birthright" or "A Superman for All Seasons" are much better if you're looking for an origin story.

I've heard good things about All Seasons. I've already read All-Star Superman and Red Son, both of which I enjoyed. And I've also read (and regretted reading) Godfall.

going to recomend <Immoen JiM> till im blue in the face and then some
I thought the first 5-6 issues were great but the Beta Ray ending books were poorly written (possibly due to anticipated cancellation).

Recs:

Thor
Hawkeye
Daredevil
X-Men Legacy
Hickman's Avenger books.

runners up
FF
Savage Wolverine
Deadpool after the first arc

got a few extra bucks:
Bendis X-men books
Wolvie and the X-Men
Wolverine
Hulk

Bonus round:
Kindt's Spiderman Knights has been pretty great but it's only going for 5 issues.

I finally cracked and bought the Wonder Woman bombshells statue from tfaw.com, while I was there I also preordered the Harey Quinn one and the Bruce Timm B&W Harley (I know some people here wanted that one and it's $64 there)

I love the wonder woman ant lucia art more than I'll ever love the statue though. I really love the pin up style to be fair.

tumblr_mgq4p6jWcM1qg1iejo1_1280.png

That is the most beautiful Wonder Woman I have ever seen. Reminds me of this cosplayer.

just read aquaman 25 pretty good end to johns run. He did a lot for the character, just wish he stayed a bit longer. Might pick up Justice league for the aquaman event.

now where is my Others book DC!

ReiGun

I've heard good things about All Seasons. I've already read All-Star Superman and Red Son, both of which I enjoyed. And I've also read (and regretted reading) Godfall.

Secret Identity is one you guys should definitely out. Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow as well.

I finally cracked and bought the Wonder Woman bombshells statue from tfaw.com, while I was there I also preordered the Harey Quinn one and the Bruce Timm B&W Harley (I know some people here wanted that one and it's $64 there)

I love the wonder woman ant lucia art more than I'll ever love the statue though. I really love the pin up style to be fair.

tumblr_mgq4p6jWcM1qg1iejo1_1280.png
This is a Wonder Woman redesign I can get behind.

just read aquaman 25 pretty good end to johns run. He did a lot for the character, just wish he stayed a bit longer. Might pick up Justice league for the aquaman event.

now where is my Others book DC!
I want an Others book, but I know it would be cancelled in like 9 issues so why bother? :(

frye

Finally read Battling Boy and man, people weren't kidding when they said the size hurts it a lot. The spreads and some of the panels lose so much of their impact with the bizarre dimensions. Some light (and dumb) libertarian stuff in here which is always annoying but the 50 page fight scene or whatever it is was pretty cool.

It also ends midway through the story so I suspect a complete and not-idiotically sized edition will be a decent read by the time Pope finishes the second volume in another 7 years

Tizoc

Current series?

Hakwguy
Daredevil
Superior foes of Spiderman mini-series
Jason Aaron on anything Marvel
X-Factor by Peter David
Superior Spiderman
Captain America (need to read this myself)
Journey into Mystery starring Sif is popular among GAF

Off the top of my head.

Does Marvel Unlimited go on sale come the holidays? Is it worth it for a casual Marvel fan? How is the release schedule for the service? I would assume it would lag behind print releases a little bit which would be fine.

kswiston

Does Marvel Unlimited go on sale come the holidays? Is it worth it for a casual Marvel fan? How is the release schedule for the service? I would assume it would lag behind print releases a little bit which would be fine.

They usually have holiday sales, where you can get a year for $40 or so.

If you want to catch up on some of the best recent (last 10 years) storylines, Marvel Unlimited is great. They have 10k+ issues on the service. If you want to read classic runs from the 60s/70s, those are on there as well. The new release policy is a bit random, but most titles are updated on a 6-12 month delay. For instance, if you wanted to read the current Avengers series, they have the first 12 issues up on Marvel Unlimited. The print series is on issue 24. The book comes out twice a month so the most recent Marvel Unlimited issue was probably released in print back in May.

The amount of new issues released each week is random as well. They released 20 comics this week on the service. Some weeks it's 9-12. Some weeks it's 50.

DumbNameD

If anyone has a Hastings nearby, all USED books, mangas, and graphic novels priced $29.99 or less = $2.99 each today (Sat 11/30), according to ad.

kswiston

Top 5 Marvel Ongoings (not in order)

Captain America
New Avengers
Uncanny Avengers
Daredevil
Hawkeye

FF might have replaced one of those books, but it is changing creative teams soon. I'm not really liking the current arc on Thor, or that would have replaced Uncanny Avengers.

Avengers Arena (just finished)
Hawkeye
Daredevil
Uncanny Avengers
Wolverine and the X-Men/Amazing X-Men (just read AXM last night, immediately started catching up with WATXM, great series!)

While we are at it what are the top 5 image books and DC books right now? I eagerly await your bat themed lists.

I'll give this a go:

Image:
Saga
The Manhattan Projects
Five Ghosts
Chew
Nowhere Men (calling this ongoing is a stretch, but it's a fantastic book)

Black Science would be on this list if there were more issues, I think it's hard to judge a book until three issues in. I haven't read Rat Queens yet, but I will probably just trade wait now, Image usually have cheap Volume 1s.

DC:
Batman
Adventures of Superman (digital first, but it still counts right?)
Green Arrow
Batman/Superman
Superman/Wonder Woman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom