• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyStu

Which is funny because both of his books (Captain America and Uncanny Avengers) are about pretty much ignoring/being ignored by the continuity in general. With the exception of a few nods here and there, his stories are basically insulated from continuity.

Which to me is the best thing about his books.

I don't think there's coming back from that in the conventional sense. Her bones werent coated and she was burned to what seemed cinders. As for max, he's gonna be double pissed since rogue got hit too. This is gonna be one of those "everybody hates wolverine moments though. I can see that coming clear as day.

Oh, there is no doubt.
Probably explains why WATXM -> AXM. The professor Wolverine experiment has ended :(

Which to me is the best thing about his books.

Oh, there is no doubt.
Probably explains why WATXM -> AXM. The professor Wolverine experiment has ended :(
I hope it is that way, Remender
deserves to be the cause of Wolvie's character change that more than Cornell with his bore of a run.
This is fits with how WatXM is usually where the repercussions of Remender's plots are shown: Genesis, Deathlok and Mind-wiped Angel.

Tizoc

I was always impressed by how subtley different Cameron Stewart made both Batmen look so you always knew who was Bruce or Dick, despite them having mostly the exact same outfit during the fight.

Now that I think about it, I noticed it too, though part of it has to do with their facial reactions.

I don't think there's coming back from that in the conventional sense. Her bones werent coated and she was burned to what seemed cinders. As for max, he's gonna be double pissed since rogue got hit too. This is gonna be one of those "everybody hates wolverine moments though. I can see that coming clear as day.

Eh...
someone else mentioned it, but the adamantium on wolverine's bones actually made his healing factor worse, not better due to adamantium poisoning. X-23's healing factor is better, Bone Claws wolverine's was MUCH better. It's possible though not absolutely certain that Rogue could come back from that. It didn't appear she was burned to "cinders", the skeleton was completely intact.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Black Science 1 was fantastic. Don't know why you guys are suddenly crying "CORNY" for Sagan quotes or a protagonist who is self-involved and obsessed with turning wrongs into rights...it's like y'all haven't read a non-Marvel Rick Remender comic in a while.

He quotes pretty consistently in his work and I've never had an issue with it--it's always been appropriate and I like epigraphs/real-world quoting so long as it's not entirely cliche and it serves thematic purpose. I mean, the last issue of Fear Agent is one long Mark Twain quote...

Art was stunning.

Omg you guys Simon Spurrier just tweeted:

Last episode of Six Gun Gorilla Vol 1 next week. I am sad and delighted and a-tingle in anticipation. Couldn't be prouder of that series.

Omg Vol 1 omg let there be more omg.

Nudull

Banned

Last episode of Six Gun Gorilla Vol 1 next week. I am sad and delighted and a-tingle in anticipation. Couldn't be prouder of that series.

Well, crap. :eek:
Time to pick up Six-Gun Gorilla.

Can someone explain to me how annuals work? Is it part of the series or no?

Annuals are generally released in the "5th Wednesday" of a month. Since normal comics are on a four week schedule the fifth week doesn't have normal titles to release. Whether or not they are part of the mainline series depends on the title. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. They can either be used as an oversized issue for the main series or as a one off story. Unfortunately you need to research that out much of the time.

Can someone explain to me how annuals work? Is it part of the series or no?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Annuals were originally just bonus content; done-in-one stories not important to the overall narrative of the main series, plus pinups and storyline recaps mixed with reprinted material, with an oversized format to go along with the oversized price. Then they started to change as they gained popularity, with annuals for different series connecting through story or theme; DC's Annuals would often have an overall commonality ("Elseworlds" for example, or "JLApe") for the entire year, and Marvel would connect three or four Annuals together as a kind of team-up adventure. These days Annuals can still be both, but there's a greater emphasis I think on making them "important" and part of the overall series narrative, rather than making them fun side stories; a lot of that has to do with consumer buying habits, and the tendency of the comics fanbase to ignore "unimportant" books.

What I've picked up yesterday and last week:

Uncanny X-Men #14
All New X-Men #18 + #19
The Superior Spider-Man #21 + #22
Infinity #1 + #2 (Finally started it)
Avengers #22 + #23
Guardians of the Galaxy #8
Batman #24

Now I gotta pick up:

Batman #25
Infinity #3 + #4 + #5 + #6
Hawkeye TPB - My Life As A Weapon (After such fantabulous fan reception)

Acid08

Banned

OH WOW today I'm thankful for Simon Spurrier.

This week had a lot of really good comics:

-I loved Black Science, made me want to reread Fear Agent. Anybody knows when the 2nd Library Edition come out?

-Infinity was far from perfect, but it was one of the most enjoyable events in recent memory.

-City Fall ended incredibly in this week's TMNT.

-I can't believe WatXM is ending after these 2 amazing issues. The portrayal of the school's wackiness was superb.

-I wish Parker luck on following John's run on Aquaman.
What do you have against the beard Mera??

-The Transformers crossover continues to be fun, but it pales in comparison to the story MTMTE was telling. It is more of a guest appearance of MTMTE characters in RiD.

-Rat Queens was fantastic. I adore this series.

I remember Remender saying he has
plans for Magneto in Uncanny Avengers

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Eh...
someone else mentioned it, but the adamantium on wolverine's bones actually made his healing factor worse, not better due to adamantium poisoning. X-23's healing factor is better, Bone Claws wolverine's was MUCH better. It's possible though not absolutely certain that Rogue could come back from that. It didn't appear she was burned to "cinders", the skeleton was completely intact.

it will be interesting to see the fallout between people
who think wolverines healing factor is bullshit, and those that think that she should come back despite said healing factor. that and the fighting death stuff. and although the healing factor is stronger, there needs to be living matter for logan to come back doesnt it?

who think wolverines healing factor is bullshit, and those that think that she should come back despite said healing factor. that and the fighting death stuff. and although the healing factor is stronger, there needs to be living matter for logan to come back doesnt it?

February Solicits show
Rogue in the cover of Avengers A.I. but that might just be Rogue's death not "happening" yet since the UA summary suggests the battle against the twins hasn't finished yet.
The solicit for Vol.3 also mention Sentry killing another member...
I can't wait for the next issue.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Guys, are we still voting for the issues of the month, cause I look forward to Zero 3 sweeping shit.

I'll vote, but not 'til the 11th hour. Still got stuff to read.

I like the idea!

Don't be lazy, people! Vote! Vote so you can se your pretty Batmans and Infinities and Amazing Avengmens all listed up.

At this point, I haven't received enough ballots to form any kind of meaningful consensus (not nearly enough). Members still have until Saturday, but the way it's looking right now I may call off the November vote and start fresh with December. If December proves no better, well... this segment will have died a very quick death.

kswiston

At this point, I haven't received enough ballots to form any kind of meaningful consensus (not nearly enough). Members still have until Saturday, but the way it's looking right now I may call off the November vote and start fresh with December. If December proves no better, well... this segment will have died a very quick death.

We should just do the vote in this thread. People are generally too lazy for secret ballots. Let that be an option if people want to remain anonymous I guess. I still need to read Saga and Black Science, so I will probably vote tomorrow.

Parch

OniPress must only stay in business from Scott Pilgrim residuals.
Yeah, they're not doing much. Sixth Gun is alright, but I only tried a couple of issues. I didn't like Wasteland at all but it's still alive.

Indie pubs have been flourishing. OniPress not so much.

bone is living matter, as is the marrow inside of it. Rogue wasn't "ash" when she was killed, so it's possible she could be brought back, but far from certain.

It's really 50/50 for me, and I'm not a huge fan of the way wolverine is typically portrayed at all.

Yeah, they're not doing much. Sixth Gun is alright, but I only tried a couple of issues. I didn't like Wasteland at all but it's still alive.

Indie pubs have been flourishing. OniPress not so much.
Yeah I feel sorry for them. They put out a good product with great paper. Hope they find success.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
bone is living matter, as is the marrow inside of it. Rogue wasn't "ash" when she was killed, so it's possible she could be brought back, but far from certain.

It's really 50/50 for me, and I'm not a huge fan of the way wolverine is typically portrayed at all.

You can still have a skeleton with your marrow cooked through. And with the rate that she burned Its good to say its cooked, ash or not.

Omg at the gloves, tell me none of you wear gloves while reading comics. Please.
Nope, no gloves! See?

WnzpyCN.jpg

Boogiepop

Okay, comics-GAF, I once more need a hand selecting a holiday gift for my increasingly hard to shop for friend.

He now pretty much owns all the big Batman stories I can think of except I guess Year One Hundred, which is a definite possibility. That's supposed to be good, right?

Superman-wise, he's read All Star, Red Son, and Kingdom Come off the top of my head.

I'm thinking now that I can't think of any Flash trades he owns. Any good options there?

Also, has any of the recent Deadpool been particularly exceptional? Deadpool used to be one of his favorites, but he got burnt out a while back when the character got overexposed and I don't think he's picked up anything since... I guess about when the whole Deadpool Corps thing was starting up.

He's been a big fan of the newest Daredevil run, and likes the Hawkguy that's in the style of the first trade at least (it seems to be alternating now? Between more serious and the same old fun?), and he definitely likes the run with Cyclops' team (AKA the "Cyclops is right" thing). Oh, and the new Thor run has been to his liking.

He has a pretty sizable collection, so it's getting harder and harder to pick out neat new comic gifts. Mostly looking for new-ish stuff, as he seems to have trouble getting around to reading stuff like Essentials (I think he still likes them, just tends to put them on the back-burner+they're kind of bulky). Oh, and definitely needs to be reasonably available for purchase, haha.

So yeah, if anyone could help me out that'd be greatly appreciated.

Vibranium

Banned
Read all my stuff, I had a good time but Uncanny Avengers is continuing to grate on me a lot. The 4 Horsemen are annoying with their constant wisecracks and insults as provided by Remender.

Black Science was pretty cool, I'll continue with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom