• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminder, the deadline for casting ballots is 6pm EST today.
5lcMDk2.png
uqwNqxS.png

Here's How It Works
In the last week of the month (or earlier, if you're confident about your choices), any GAF member can send me a private message with their personal picks for the three best single issues released that month, from any publisher. These picks should be arranged in order of rank -- first, second, and third place -- and each ranking will be worth a specific point value. A first place ranking for a comic is worth 5 points; a second place is worth 3 points; a third place, 2 points. Then before next month's COMICS! OT goes live, I'll tally the results and point values from each ballot, and post the top three overall winners in the next OP as last month's, GAF-approved, best of the best. Then, maybe at the end of the year, we'll have a showdown between the year's top finishers or something similar.

A Sample Ballot
This is an example of how a sample ballot submitted by you might look. You don't have to use this formatting but I do ask that, however you send it to me, you are CLEAR on which comics you are voting for and in what order they are ranked.

The Voting Rules
1. Only single issues released that month are to be considered for voting; no trade collections, and no "just caught up" considerations for issues released one/two/however many months ago. Sorry if this excludes you from the voting process, trade-only readers and mail-order folk. I didn't see any other way.
2. Each GAF member is allowed one ballot, and once that ballot has been cast you are done for the month. If an issue comes out and you think it's the best comic you've ever read or will ever read, but you already cast your vote the week before, that's too bad. In other words, there are no take-backs so VOTE THOUGHTFULLY.
3. Three comics per ballot, and no more. You could send me a list of the ten best comics that month, with full paragraph summaries on why you ranked them in what order; but in the end, I'm only going to tally points for the top three and ignore the rest. You CAN pick just one book as the best that month... but that one vote is still worth only 5 points.
4. No ties on the ballots, please. You have to pick three comics as the best that month, and you have to rank them "1st, 2nd, 3rd" so that I can assign points to each. If you're torn between two issues of two different series as the best that month, and you can't decide which one you loved more than the other, TRY.
5. To make things a bit easier on me when it comes to making the OP, I'm establishing a deadline for casting ballots of 6pm Eastern Standard Time on the last day of the month. You can cast your ballot at any time during the month that you wish; however once that deadline has passed, any ballots sent to me will be ignored.
6. Again, to make things easier I would prefer that your votes be cast via private message sent to me, rather than through an open post in the OT. In addition to keeping the voting process a secret, using the PM method means I won't have to search through thread pages for someone's vote posted as an afterthought to an unrelated discussion.

Failure to comply with any of the above rules MAY result in your ballot getting thrown out.

Other rules and stipulations may follow, but for now we'll roll with these for the first round and see how it goes. Have fun voting!
At this point I still don't have enough ballots. Maybe ten more and I will, but we'll see.

They usually have holiday sales, where you can get a year for $40 or so.

If you want to catch up on some of the best recent (last 10 years) storylines, Marvel Unlimited is great. They have 10k+ issues on the service. If you want to read classic runs from the 60s/70s, those are on there as well. The new release policy is a bit random, but most titles are updated on a 6-12 month delay. For instance, if you wanted to read the current Avengers series, they have the first 12 issues up on Marvel Unlimited. The print series is on issue 24. The book comes out twice a month so the most recent Marvel Unlimited issue was probably released in print back in May.

The amount of new issues released each week is random as well. They released 20 comics this week on the service. Some weeks it's 9-12. Some weeks it's 50.

Awesome, thanks for the insight. Does DC have a similar service?

While we are at it what are the top 5 image books and DC books right now? I eagerly await your bat themed lists.
I'll give my marvel and IDW list here just in case.
(in no particular order)

DC:
Batman
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Batman/Superman
Trillium

Image:
Chew
Manhattan Projects
Saga
Rat Queens
Nowhere Men

Marvel:
Daredevil
Uncanny Avengers
Hawkeye
Wolverine and the X-Men
New Avengers

IDW:
Locke & Key
Transformers: More than Meets the Eye
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Powerpuff Girls
Samurai Jack

5 Favorite Image Titles (in no particular order)

A Voice in the Dark
East of West
Lazarus
Rat Queens
The Walking Dead

If I could add a sixth, it would be Saga. Too early to call on Velvet and Umbral but each had a strong start.

My list is of favorites and not bests because I'm sure that titles like Chew and Manhattan Projects are technically better than some of my favs but I don't read them.

Acid08

Banned
Image top 5:
Chew
Saga
Manhattan Projects
Lazarus
Invincible

Marvel top 5:
Superior Spidey
Hawkeye
Marvel Knights Spidey
Daredevil
Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Misc top 5 combining smaller publishers:
Six Gun Gorilla
Hellboy in Hell
TMNT
Adventure Time
Black Beetle(starting again soon)

Oh, oh, oh! I want to do non-Image Indie Top 5!

Dark Horse Presents
Six Gun Gorilla
Mouse Guard Legends of the Guard Vol 2
Wild Blue Yonder
Wraith: Welcome to Christmasland

Gothos

I see ComicsGAF likes lists... :p

Anyway, just finished reading Amazing X-Men. It was amazing! :D Guess I need to catch up now on Wolverine and X-Men :)

Eldren

You know, now that Wolverine & The X-Men is wrapping up soon, what are the chances Marvel will release the whole series in some nice hardbacks or some chunky paperbacks? I'd be all over that.

Also all these lists are reinforcing the face that Image is releasing some amazing comics.

Nudull

Banned
While we are at it what are the top 5 image books and DC books right now? I eagerly await your bat themed lists.

In no order, of course;

Image:
Saga
A Voice in the Dark
Pretty Deadly
Rat Queens
The Walking Dead

DC:
Batwoman (Williams III's run ended a while ago, but I'm still counting it)
Green Lantern Corps
Batgirl
Batman '66
The Movement

And as a bonus,

Marvel:
Young Avengers (ending soon ;_;)
Captain Marvel
Avengers A.I.
Hawkguy
Superior Spider-Man

Non-Image Indies:
Adventure Time
Mega Man
TMNT
Powerpuff Girls
Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard v. 2 (just started getting into Mouse Guard, and god, is it lovely)

EDIT: I've done my part with voting yesterday, it's no fun if no one else does. :p

Pfft, I already sent in my best of November vote. I don't know what's wrong with y'all no-fun lazyasses.

I sent mine in this morning. I really meant to do it sooner, but I'd planned to read more books today. College ensured that didn't happen so I picked the best of what I had read.

I sent mine in this morning. I really meant to do it sooner, but I'd planned to read more books today. College ensured that didn't happen so I picked the best of what I had read.

Yeah, I voted this morning, too, haha. And also didn't read all my shit. But I read amazing stuff that I was happy to vote in regardless.

I''ll bite... :D

DC

Batman
Wonder Woman
Trillium
The Wake
Coffin Hill (because this is really all the DC stuff I read at the moment XD)

East of West
Walking Dead
Invincible
Morning Glories
Saga

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Can't wait for Dark Horse to bring that over!

YES! I've been waiting for a new Blacksad book.

My Image titles will be the most recent ones since I only started collecting last month.

Image Comics
Black Science
Zero
Velvet
Three
Pretty Deadly

DC Comics (lol)
Batman
Green Arrow
The Wake

My Image titles will be the most recent ones since I only started collecting last month.

Image Comics
Black Science
Zero
Velvet
Three
Pretty Deadly

Velvet would have made my list, easy, if it was more than only one issue in. A series has to prove it has staying power. But if the writing quality stays where it is, it'll be a great series.

kswiston

Sent in my votes. Not wanting to search through the thread makes sense more than keeping things secret I suppose. This thread does usually end up being 25-30 pages long.

No one has Prophet in their top 5 Image books? I love that book.

I read it, but the only issue I have with it is that it feels a bit disjointed at times. Sometimes you'll get an issue that has nothing to do with the last one. Maybe that's just the way they're telling the story, but it takes me out of the universe and sometimes I feel like it has to win me over again with every issue.

Cheska

Spike is there any way of extending this at least until Sundays? With the holidays and work weeks it seems like Sunday would be a good day for a deadline..

A list of the top 5 DC books is pretty easy to make. So I'm not going to do that. Instead, I'd like to highlight 5 titles that deserve more attention;

1. Red Lanterns
  2. Superman/Wonder Woman
  3. Earth 2
  4. Batman Beyond Universe
  5. All Star Western

Red Lantern has transformed from a guilty pleasure into something that is genuinely fun and interesting to read. The inclusion of Guy Gardner was a perfect fit. Not only does he have a history with the Corps and the mentality to fit, but he brings a sense of purpose and direction that Atrocitus lacked.

Superman/Wonder Woman seemed like a stupid premise when it was first announced. But in just two issues, between the interplay of the two and their supporting cast and the gorgeous art, the title has risen to the top of my must read list.

Earth 2 is much of what the New 52 should embrace; Familiar characters taken in a new direction. The mythology of Earth 2 is just fascinating. While James Robinson has since left the title, Tom Taylor has come on board and hit the ground running.

Remember Batman Beyond? The DCAU? Yeah, those were amazing and this title is the continuation of that awesomeness. The world building has been great, the writers exploring where some new and familiar heroes are in the future. I've especially liked the Superman stories as an older Clark struggles with detachment. It's been handled very well.

Lastly, All Star Western is just goofy fun. I didn't think Jonah in present day would interest me but I've stuck with it after the Booster Gold issues and it's been entertaining. I don't know how long it'll last but I am on board for the ride.

Edit Snark: inb4 people post DC lists when they don't read any DC books and haven't in months/years. Tell me about the quality of books you don't read. <3

DC list is way harder than Marvel :/

Batgirl
Aquaman
Batman and whoever
Swamp Thing
Legends of Batman
Superman Adventures
Animal Man
Nightwing
Supergirl
Justice League Dark

oops..

Rat Queens
Lazarus
Revival
Pretty Deadly
Sex Criminals/ East of West

ReiGun

DC:

Green Arrow
Adventures of Superman
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Earth 2

Image:

Nowhere Men
Sex Criminals
Five Ghosts: The Haunting of Fabian Grey

Got of couple of Image books in my backlog I need to sit down and read.

tim1138

Dang, other people are voting. When Spike said he only had one person submit a ballot, it was me. I was so hoping to see my top three win.

kswiston

I don't read enough Image and DC to make a meaningful list. Manhattan Projects and Saga make my overall top 5 though. Batman might make my overall top 10. I'm not as gung ho for East of West as most of you seem to be, even though I really want to like it.

Spike is there any way of extending this at least until Sundays? With the holidays and work weeks it seems like Sunday would be a good day for a deadline..

Alright, because it's the Thanksgiving holiday and maybe there are still some GAFers out there shopping or too bloated from all the cornbread stuffing to send me a PM, I will extend the deadline for a little while at least. How does tonight at midnight EST sound?

Out of curiosity, how many of us have voted?
Thirteen, including myself.

kswiston

Alright, because it's the Thanksgiving holiday and maybe there are still some GAFers out there shopping or too bloated from all the cornbread stuffing to send me a PM, I will extend the deadline for a little while at least. How does tonight at midnight EST sound?

Out of curiosity, how many of us have voted?

Superman/Wonder Woman seemed like a stupid premise when it was first announced. But in just two issues, between the interplay of the two and their supporting cast and the gorgeous art, the title has risen to the top of my must read list.

The book has caught my eye... but I have to ask.... what's the split between the two of them playing kissyface, and the usual kind of comic book action?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Image >>> everyone right now.
My top three were all Image, and that's in a month where Sandman has come back. Seriously impressive stuff going on in comics now.

Wait, no, Sandman was October, my bad. Still, lots of incredible series going on right now.

My top three were all Image, and that's in a month where Sandman has come back. Seriously impressive stuff going on in comics now.

I think that it's got a lot to do with good writers flocking there due to the emphasis Image places on letting creators keep the copyrights to characters they create. It also really streamlines the job Image has to do as a publisher.

The book has caught my eye... but I have to ask.... what's the split between the two of them playing kissyface, and the usual kind of comic book action?

Like... one or two pages at most? Also occasional quips like in Issue #2 where Clark meets
"The" (Diana's) "Family".
It really feels like a reason for them to be around each other and then have adventures than anything else.

Image >>> everyone right now.

Unless you are interested in a shared universe.

Hey, Image has a shared universe. They totally United, remember?

prv3890_cov.jpg

One of the Rat Queens is going to get her hands on the Witchblade and it's all going to make sense, you'll see.

Acid08

Banned
Hey, Image has a shared universe. They totally United, remember?

prv3890_cov.jpg

One of the Rat Queens is going to get her hands on the Witchblade and it's all going to make sense, you'll see.
Oppenheimer is going to kill and eat Spawn leading the Chew cast into the story to hunt him down.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
DC
Wonder Woman
Batman Beyond Universe

Prophet
Saga
Manhattan Projects
Black Science
Thief of Thieves

Marvel (though i might be late)
New Avengers