• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS|OT|October 2017- The only thing scarier than Messi's avatar are Marvels sales

MG310

Just finished the rest of my work for my first semester back in school.

Just one day of work and then off to NYCC for 4 solid days of awkward social engagements and sketch getting.

Only have 1 class in the 2nd half of the semester so maybe I'll actually get to read some of these floppies that keep showing up in the mail.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I've only read Geoff Johns' run (Vol. 1-4 of the New 52 Aquaman) but I really loved that run. Good action, mythology, and character building. Ivan Reis' art...

Oh my goodness his art.

I'd probably echo the other comment about the first four volumes of the New52 run by Geoff Johns. Those Geoff Johns arcs are full of crazy sea creatures and mayhem though. I admittedly haven't read anything since then.

I enjoyed the '70s Death of a Prince storyline, too, but that's certainly dated and might not be what you want. That's about the entirety of my Aquaman-specific reading history.

thumb emoji

I know it was a few pages back now but sorry on the job Dalek, sure you'll find something else soon once you have a bit of time to get over the shock. Have a feeling I'll be in the same boat very soon, there cutting half the staff at my work soon due to business being bad and theres a hell of a lot of people who have been here longer and do more important stuff than me :(

Anyway in happier stuff, caught up on Hi-Fi fight club 2 from last week and it stays amazing. Its really charming me with its cute comedy, awkward teenage love story and nostalgia for the 90,s. Theres just so much heart in the art and things like little expressions the characters do, the slightly exagerated reactions also remind a little bit of anime, but I'm guessing thats intended. Hope it gets extended past its possible limited series run. Are there any other good similar lighthearted slice of life stuff people would recommend? (I already read Giant Days) Heard a few mentioned previously, Backstagers? Slam?

As a recent Valiant fan and after loving the last mini series of Secret Weapons, Harbingers wars 2 sounds cool and pretty good value in todays comic rip off maket. I'm way behind in the actual valaint universe story though since I started from the beginning of the rebirth and am picking up series I fancy as I go, so don't think I'll be able to read it for a while yet without ruining a lot of story. I could get away with it with Secret Weapons as it was mostly stand alone and a great character piece about a group of teen misfits coming together but this looks like its full on in the valiant lore.

X-Men Blue is the best book outside of Astonishing. Y'all need to let the O5 thing go.

Rename X-Men Gold to Uncanny, find a new writer. Put Soule on "X-Men" with his Astonishing team. Rename X-Men Blue to "X-Men: New Mutants" and keep doing what the book is already doing. Cut Gen X because it's not firing on all cylinders and I don't care about the cast at all.

Cancel Cable. Cancel Iceman. Cancel Jean Grey. Stop making solo ongoings focused on one X-Man. If you want to do minis, great. X-Men is about the interactions. ALL TEAM BOOKS ALL THE TIME UNLESS YOUR CODE-NAME IS WOLVERINE!

Speaking of Wolverine: One Wolverine book with the OG in space trucker mode, OML stays in X-Men, Laura keeps her book, and Weapon X is the catch all Wolverine book with every Wolverine doing Wolverine shit.

In short:

X-Men (flagship, big shit, all day, every day)
Uncanny X-Men (Weird shit, magic, other dimensions, go wild)
X-Men: New Mutants (O5+alt reality X-Men)
X-Force (Weapon X+Cable)
Wolverine: Space Trucker
All-New Wolverine
Weapon X (All Wolverines ever!)

Done.
I’m all for this aside from New Mutants not having Magik, Rahne, Mirage and the others. They need a new book. Last one they had was the DnA one after Siege IIRC. If Gillen still did superhero books I’d give it to him but with the way things are Ewing is the only possible choice. Him on writing, Sienkiewicz on covers for the first 12 issues and someone great on art.

Oh, and Jubilee should get her powers back but stay a vampire baby mother.

Edit: Ryan!Atom in Injustice? Hell yeah!

DC will be streaming Doomsday Clock panel.

Wow, this is pretty awful.

Read Punisher: The Platoon this morning. Slow burn, which I expected, but I didn't quite expect the frame story to call back so far. Appreciated that. Other than that, hey, it's more Ennis Punisher, yay.

X-Men Blue is the best book outside of Astonishing. Y'all need to let the O5 thing go.

Rename X-Men Gold to Uncanny, finda new writer. Put Soule on "X-Men" with his Astonishing team. Rename X-Men Blue to "X-Men: New Mutants" and keep doing what the book is already doing. Cut Gen X because it's not firing on all cylinders and I don't care about the cast at all.

Cancel Cable. Cancel Iceman. Cancel Jean Grey. Stop making solo ongoings focused on one X-Man. If you want to do minis, great. X-Men is about the interactions. ALL TEAM BOOKS ALL THE TIME UNLESS YOUR CODE-NAME IS WOLVERINE!

Speaking of Wolverine: One Wolverine book with the OG in space trucker mode, OML stays in X-Men, Laura keeps her book, and Weapon X is the catch all Wolverine book with every Wolverine doing Wolverine shit.

In short:

X-Force (Weapon X+Cable)
All-New Wolverine

Done.

The main part of any of this is finding new writers. X-men hasn't felt like x-men since probably Benidis finished his run (I know some people weren't fans of it but jeez those look like the good old days at this point). Pretty much every writer since just hasn't got it. There are a few people at Marvel who I think would give it a good go, Rosenburg, Ewing or I'd even like to see Eric Heisserer who pretty much did an almost xmen/gen x story with Secret Weapons for valiant recently.

I can agree with a lot of the above, but I don't think you even need a third x-men book, stick with uncanny and standard and then you can have your off shoot teams (new mutants, x-force). Technically theres other part x-teams anyway with uncanny avengers and US avengers, though those might be ending soon. I miss the days when there were defined teams in different books who were doing there own shit, that way when they actually came together for big storys or events it actually meant something.

Sign me up for that Lemire/Sorrentino book, sounds fantastic. Dave Stewart on colours <3
GideonFalls1-pag18-19-LowRes.jpg

http://www.cbr.com/interview-gideon-falls-image-comics-lemire-sorrentino/

Phamit

Wanted to jump into Tom King's run of Batman Rebirth, but I've heard middling things about the start of it. I wanted to purchase a volume but was told it only starts to get good on the 3rd volume, I AM BANE which collects issues #16-20, 23-24 and Batman Annual #1. Is this an accurate recommendation or should I just start from Volume 1?

imo the first three volumes are more or less one story. I didn't like the pacing of the first one but still enjoyable at the end, but since I am Suicide it's a great run.

Vic_Viper

Rename X-Men Gold to Uncanny, find a new writer. Put Soule on "X-Men" with his Astonishing team

In short:

X-Force (Weapon X+Cable)
All-New Wolverine

Done.

First off, Cable deserves his own book! Whether it be a solo or team book. I'd like to see him get the X-Force back together but with a good writer this time around. Maybe team up with Logan, don't care as long as it's good. Hell bring Shatterstar into the mix lol.

Secondly, put OG Logan into whatever Astonishing becomes and drop OML from the roster. A, that would be an amazing roster and B, he's written as pretty much the same person in the book already lol so it wouldn't make a difference storywise.

Third, drop Weapon X. Or atleast find a better reason to make me want to read this book lol. It looks great but I just don't care at all for it.

Main point is: for the love of god Marvel, tell us where we can read about Logan and his sick truck!

imo the first three volumes are more or less one story. I didn't like the pacing of the first one but still enjoyable at the end, but since I am Suicide it's a great run.

I've only read volume 1 recently (I'm catching up with the rebirth trades slowly but surely) but I quite enjoyed it. A few bits of dialogue in the arc were a little bit off, which I find King can do now and again but I thought the story was good and I'm always a sucker for a story where they show of Gotham as the dark shit hole that it is that chews up and spits out the average guy every day ha

Speaking of Batman and shit hole Gotham, anyone read White Knight yet?

Just read it. It’s was decent. There was times I thought the voice of the characters was off but by the end it fit. I don’t hype number ones anymore so I will just say it was decent.

ElNarez

Banned
holy fucking shit Legacy is some fucking amateur hour shit

so y'all remember how every legacy relaunch was hyped as having a three-page primer written by Robbie Thompson to welcome in new readers?

you wanna know where it is?

IT'S PRINTED AT THE END OF THE GODDAMN BOOK

Batman The Animated Series getting a DVD Box Set in the UK for apparently the first time ever...yet its HMV exclusive...Damnit WB >_>

Still gonna buy it. Got the JL/JLU Blu Rays, the collection gets ever closer to complete.

Batman The Animated Series getting a DVD Box Set in the UK for apparently the first time ever...yet its HMV exclusive...Damnit WB >_>

Still gonna buy it. Got the JL/JLU Blu Rays, the collection gets ever closer to complete.

You mean as a box set of the all the Batman Animated series together right? Because I'm pretty sure they've sold dvd's of the different series, available to buy a series at a time for a while now. Maybe there american import or something but I'm sure I've seen the seperate series in some supermarkets and cheap shops in the past at like 5 or 6 quid a series.

I really wish they made a series like Batman animated or JL/JLU for kids these days, but the higher ups at these companies don't actually trust kids to have any intelligence or attention span so fob off them with cheap episodic throw away action cartoons.

Some Nobody

holy fucking shit Legacy is some fucking amateur hour shit

so y'all remember how every legacy relaunch was hyped as having a three-page primer written by Robbie Thompson to welcome in new readers?

you wanna know where it is?

IT'S PRINTED AT THE END OF THE GODDAMN BOOK

I mean...where else would it be? Only other logical place would be it's own one-shot, right? With the other primers?

You mean as a box set of the all the Batman Animated series together right? Because I'm pretty sure they've sold dvd's of the different series, available to buy a series at a time for a while now. Maybe there american import or something but I'm sure I've seen the seperate series in some supermarkets and cheap shops in the past at like 5 or 6 quid a series.

I really wish they made a series like Batman animated or JL/JLU for kids these days, but the higher ups at these companies don't actually trust kids to have any intelligence or attention span so fob off them with cheap episodic throw away action cartoons.

-shrug- I'm not sure. I remember being able to buy a couple of volumes of the series on DVD but that was like 4-8 episodes each and it wasn't the whole thing, but I could have missed the boat. WB's Facebook post (where i saw it) said "for the first time" so I just ran with that : /

The JL International omnibus should be out already why does bookdepository still have it on preorder ughhhh....

Not like I can afford it anyway lol I need to remind myself to save up money for when I move out at the end of the month.

The JL International omnibus should be out already why does bookdepository still have it on preorder ughhhh....

Not like I can afford it anyway lol I need to remind myself to save up money for when I move out at the end of the month.

Speedyhen sent me an email a few weeks ago saying it had been delayed until next year.

-shrug- I'm not sure. I remember being able to buy a couple of volumes of the series on DVD but that was like 4-8 episodes each and it wasn't the whole thing, but I could have missed the boat. WB's Facebook post (where i saw it) said "for the first time" so I just ran with that : /

Hmm, yeah maybe were just certain episode dvd,s, I think these were the ones I saw in shops:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Batman-Animated-One-DVD/dp/B000FTW374/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507123074&sr=8-1&keywords=batman+animated

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Batman-Animated-Two-DVD/dp/B000H8RW6A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1507123074&sr=8-5&keywords=batman+animated

That collected version looks a pretty nice set though

EDIT - Though looking into it, looks like only season 1 and 2, what amazon are listing as volume 3 is a dvd with just 4 episodes on, so if you want any later stuff you would have to get the american version or the collected version coming up

Today is the day it happened. Today I emerge from the shadows, and am no longer a lurker, but a full on member of the junior variety...

Hi-ho everyone, I've been lurking in this OT for a couple months now as I've been devoting more of my time to my old passion of comics (I've been spending more time with comics at this point then playing games, even). Now that suddenly after years of registering I'm fully in here, I thought I'd pop in and say hello.

Both series could be interesting, actually seems like good timing by Marvel for once bringing a Legion book out just before the tv series is back for Feb next year. Makes sense as well to go with the rumour that Legion is going to be a big part in one of the future xmen events.

Rogue and gambit I'm hoping they finally bring back a decent gambit, they haven't really managed to fully recover his character since the awful making him blind then making him a dodgy apocalypse horseman story :(..........he used to actually be cool you know

I got all the Legacy books today because why not.

Royals was legit great. Rodriquez is a superstar.

In store or digital? I'm just intrigued if anyone has had a look at the dodgy marvel lenticular covers in person yet, I know BC have put up a video but I think you can' t really tell unless you see these things in person.

Holy shit. X-Men Prime is on MU this week and yikes that was awful. If this is what Blue and Gold are going to be like, I'm not looking forward to it. The post-Bendis/IvX X-Men era now coming to an end in MU has been atrocious, and this was shitty too. Cliche, unnatural dialogue, bad art.

Slimebeherit

Neo Member
I got all the Legacy books today because why not.

Royals was legit great. Rodriquez is a superstar.

I'm jumping on this series up solely for Rodriguez. He is indeed a superstar, I just wish they could keep him on a series all the way to the end. Im 80% they just use him to boost interest in books...kinda sad really, even if it does work on me.

Top Bottom