• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS|OT|October 2017- The only thing scarier than Messi's avatar are Marvels sales

Goodstyle

Batman #32 was a great finish to that arc. Actually lived up to the in-story hype.

White Knight #1 intrigued me. Art was amazing, and it has all the makings of a great Batman story.

Dawnbreaker was a fun read... but they're starting to feel a little samey. The Cyborg one was amazing because it said a lot about both Bruce and Cyborg, but the Flash and Green Lantern ones felt too similar and tone and didn't do anything interesting with Bruce.

Oh, also the final issue of Hopeless/Bagley's O5 book has gone up on MU, too. That book has sucked. I usually like Hopeless (AND Bagley). Spider-Woman has been great. But Hopeless's "hello fellow kids" dialogue and Bagley's clumsy attempts at "young people clothes" have been so jarring. It almost makes sense if you consider that the original 5 are displaced by 20 years, they'd come off like dorks with old cliche phrases and bad fashion sense. It's almost genius. But then they spend some time on a college campus interacting with normal people, and you realize they're all depicted that way, too. It sucks. I get that at 60 years old, it's probably tough to really have your finger on the pulse from an art standpoint, but man... it's just a google search away. Go subscribe to the GAF streetwear thread, Bagley!

Anyway. That book has been pretty lousy. Uncanny (Bunn/Land) has been a mess. Cullen Bunn CAN be a good writer, but this UXM run has been totally disjointed. Magneto/Psylocke and Sabertooth are a weird mix, and the ending... Psylocke "kills" Magneto, then disappears while implying suicide, then Elixir and Exodus show up out of nowhere and save Magneto. Like, what's the point? And of course, Land doesn't help.

Taylor/Lopez Wolverine has been good, except for the lack of Lopez after the first few issues, at which point he was replaced by a string of crap art. The Storm in Limbo book was okay, but same thing... AAA list artist at the beginning (Ramos), but he was quickly moved to champions and replaced with a string of C-listers.

You all are living 6 months in the future, so you know how the next era is panning out. I sure hope it's better than the last one.

tumblr_onopxfVDXt1u0bi6jo1_250.gif

Fucking pass. 12 X-Comics?

Hmm, easy to sort out, send the 05 and OML back, cancel the book there. Cancel the Weapon X book, between the main x-series and all new wolverine its covered. Cancel generation x, they didn't get a good enough writer to pull it off and its lost all goodwill now. I imagine the new series mentioned here will only end up mini series anyway, don't see them pulling off a long run on a legion or rogue/gambit series.

Today is the day it happened. Today I emerge from the shadows, and am no longer a lurker, but a full on member of the junior variety...

Hi-ho everyone, I've been lurking in this OT for a couple months now as I've been devoting more of my time to my old passion of comics (I've been spending more time with comics at this point then playing games, even). Now that suddenly after years of registering I'm fully in here, I thought I'd pop in and say hello.

Welcome!

I was like you once. I think I made Messi's List in about two or three posts.

Today is the day it happened. Today I emerge from the shadows, and am no longer a lurker, but a full on member of the junior variety...

Hi-ho everyone, I've been lurking in this OT for a couple months now as I've been devoting more of my time to my old passion of comics (I've been spending more time with comics at this point then playing games, even). Now that suddenly after years of registering I'm fully in here, I thought I'd pop in and say hello.

Hullo, new blood! How do you feel about Blue Beetle?

Each character.

What in the actual fuckity fuck

And that doesn't drop off or something? Like with KI, buying 4 characters for 5 bucks each got you the entire rest of the "season," does it do anything like that?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around a $8 per character price.

Welcome welcome :) I only started posting myself after being a long time lurker a few months back but have found everyone heres a friendly bunch with some good recommendations. Comic gaf has introduced me to a lot of great new series I wouldn't have heard of otherwise. I usually only post when things are slow at work during the week so am not on that much (I never make the lists:( ) but tis fun.

What kind of things have you been reading lately? What are your favourite series?

Edit - By the way your usernames not from the old 7up mascot/video game star cool spot is it? ha

error4041

Bendis brought his fucking A-game with Jessica Jones today, the book was already pretty good, but if the book keeps going at the quality of today's issue, it could easily be one of the best books Marvel is putting out.

Some Nobody

Hmm, easy to sort out, send the 05 and OML back, cancel the book there. Cancel the Weapon X book, between the main x-series and all new wolverine its covered. Cancel generation x, they didn't get a good enough writer to pull it off and its lost all goodwill now. I imagine the new series mentioned here will only end up mini series anyway, don't see them pulling off a long run on a legion or rogue/gambit series.

I want to say someone copped to admitting that they purposely announce minis as ongoings for higher sales at Marvel not too long ago. I understood the logic, but it bugs my brain when I see it nonetheless.

I'm fine with minis for the X-Men, but for ongoings I need whole teams. But yeah--Weapon X, Gen X, the O5 and OML can all GTFO.

Astonishing
Uncanny
Cable and the X-Force
X-Factor
New Mutants

That's enough. Toss in Wolverine if you want.

Welcome!
$7.99 for each MvCI DLC character and the first 3 drop 3 weeks after release of the base game? Pass.
In line with other fighters really. ASW charges the same. There's a season pass here for some sort of discount at least.

Holy shit at the final page of Deathstroke.
The Society has a great lineup.

New BP spin-off book announced. It's what Narcisse has been working on, a BP: Year One book.

I always found Narcisses articles on comics really insighfull so will be interested in what he can do on a panther series. I'll be buying it for sure, but it worries me if world of wakanda can't sell and the crew can't sell that what are the chances another panther series aside the main series is going to sell well here. Plus yes I am still gutted the crew got cancelled, took an issue or two to get going but was an amazing series :(

Need to get this off my chest : /

i've been dealing with depression for the last few years - its been pretty bad - and i've got fairly severe dyslexia and dyspraxia...and it's been really tough at times to make friends when people lose patience if you can't get your thoughts and words out etc or just make jokes about it.

Anyway, i've recently started to get help for it via my university and tell open up to my friends about it a bit more. For ages it's felt like I've been alone in this and basically...COMIC-GAF has been pretty awesome. I've loved comics for going on 10+ years now and in the last 3 years I've either stalked or been a member of Comic GAF and people have been friendly and we've had talks about comics and enjoyed things...and the Hawkeye Book Club turned me onto a great series!

It has helped me deal with things, and it's make a big difference and I wanted to say thank you < 3

i've been dealing with depression for the last few years - its been pretty bad - and i've got fairly severe dyslexia and dyspraxia...and it's been really tough at times to make friends when people lose patience if you can't get your thoughts and words out etc or just make jokes about it.

Anyway, i've recently started to get help for it via my university and tell open up to my friends about it a bit more. For ages it's felt like I've been alone in this and basically...COMIC-GAF has been pretty awesome. I've loved comics for going on 10+ years now and in the last 3 years I've either stalked or been a member of Comic GAF and people have been friendly and we've had talks about comics and enjoyed things...and the Hawkeye Book Club turned me onto a great series!

It has helped me deal with things, and it's make a big difference and I wanted to say thank you < 3
&#128077; Always here for you Boss

Some Nobody

Cable, Weapon X and Gold are all terrible, whatchu talking about?

X-Men: Gold is very competently written, so I'm not sure what you mean. It's biggest flaw is that it's a giant nostalgia tour. A largely identical line-up to the heydays of Claremont's X-Men, with them facing largely threats from the late 80's and early 90's. It's problem is its not reaching to do enough, not that it's bad.

It was the same for me. Nice you're feeling better~

In store or digital? I'm just intrigued if anyone has had a look at the dodgy marvel lenticular covers in person yet, I know BC have put up a video but I think you can' t really tell unless you see these things in person.

I just saw them at Midtown. There's an actual different image this time (not just B&W) so it "works". The lineup between classic and modern cover isn't like 100% clean though. I don't know. They look pretty dodgy, but definitely not as bad as Legacy.

Thanks for the welcome y'all. It's awesome to be apart of a comic club of sorts, I only have a few in real life friends to chat with in depth about this stuff, most lack interest or worry about getting addicted. You all seem rad.

As for the questions sent my way, I guess I should introduce myself more by answering them all.

- I like Blue Beetle. One of DC's stronger characters, I love every verison. I love him as Booster's bestie, and I love him as a teen trying to figure out his super space suit and I love the newest iteration's personality (though now I think about it, DC has a long ass history taking old mystic characters and giving their names to unrelated space/sci-fi based ones).

- Favorite series is hard, so many to pick, but I'll just name ones that I read from early age that got me into comics and I think hold up today:
Superman For All Seasons
Eastman and Laird's TMNT
Sensational She-Hulk
Howard the Duck
Haney's Brave and Bold
Animal Man
Doom Patrol
Savage Dragon (Okay, this hasn't aged well, but I love it to death)
...okay really I'm listing them off top of my head, but I love these a ton...

- Right now I'm reading Ostrander's Suicide Squad since I caught up on Copra, since that was heavily inspired by Ostrander's work. So far it's one of the best damn runs I've read. Besides that, everything Valiant (I <3 X-O Manowar). I've shifted to juggling DC, Valiant, and indie for the time being.

- I also picked up Marvel Legacy and I may drop Marvel besides writers I follow and any recommendations. Wolverine's return dissapoints me, espeically since I loved Old Man Logan (I prefer him to OG Wolverine). Too bad they squandered all the ways he was interesting. B.C. Avengers is badass though. I could list more compliants but spoilers and ramblings I don't think are wanted.

- Yeah, my username is reference to the 7Up Mascot. He deserves more love, man.

tim1138

It was the same for me. Nice you're feeling better~

Right on guys, y'all got this.

Dj Convoy

There should probably be two or three X-books at most. At this point, they're a snake eating it's own tail.

Impossible, I know, but much like whenever Marvel launches a book and a zillion spinoffs right away, why not make one or two REALLY GOOD core books, and then add a spin off if reader demand is there? Make one good Guardians book; don't launch Guardians and Rocket Raccoon and Drax and Starlord and Gamora all at once and then stand there scratching your head when none of the books gain traction. If the X-Men books are flagging, don't add yet more to the line up.

Two strong X-titles, staggered to give you a bi-weekly, and MAYBE Wolverine or something should probably be the limit. I suppose maybe a fourth if you want a learning the ropes / New Mutants-type / school thing, but you have to be careful with over saturation. It's not the 90s anymore, and the market clearly can't bear so many books.

On a personal level, the X-books have been floundering for a long time, now. I caught up on a lot of stuff during the big Amazon sale... the last status quo that was pretty okay was, to me, the San Francisco stuff. I kind of liked the vibe Uncanny had at that point, anyway. The misadventures of Wolverine as headmaster of the school a bit later were kind of fun, too, but I hate Cyclops being a bad guy (or dead!) or the "originals" running around.

I would like to see a return to having the school as a going concern, with the school staff and extended staff as kind of the strike team. Dunno about the X-Men Gold "the mansion is now in Central Park" deal- I didn't really feel particularly strongly about what I read. I'd also like to see Cyclops back and redeemed somehow, but baby steps.

Sandfox

There should probably be two or three X-books at most. At this point, they're a snake eating it's own tail.

Impossible, I know, but much like whenever Marvel launches a book and a zillion spinoffs right away, why not make one or two REALLY GOOD core books, and then add a spin off if reader demand is there? Make one good Guardians book; don't launch Guardians and Rocket Raccoon and Drax and Starlord and Gamora all at once and then stand there scratching your head when none of the books gain traction. If the X-Men books are flagging, don't add yet more to the line up.

Two strong X-titles, staggered to give you a bi-weekly, and MAYBE Wolverine or something should probably be the limit. I suppose maybe a fourth if you want a learning the ropes / New Mutants-type / school thing, but you have to be careful with over saturation. It's not the 90s anymore, and the market clearly can't bear so many books.

On a personal level, the X-books have been floundering for a long time, now. I caught up on a lot of stuff during the big Amazon sale... the last status quo that was pretty okay was, to me, the San Francisco stuff. I kind of liked the vibe Uncanny had at that point, anyway. The misadventures of Wolverine as headmaster of the school a bit later were kind of fun, too, but I hate Cyclops being a bad guy (or dead!) or the "originals" running around.

I would like to see a return to having the school as a going concern, with the school staff and extended staff as kind of the strike team. Dunno about the X-Men Gold "the mansion is now in Central Park" deal- I didn't really feel particularly strongly about what I read. I'd also like to see Cyclops back and redeemed somehow, but baby steps.

When we had five books people were claiming that Marvel was trying to kill the X-Men. Two would have people foaming at the mouth lol.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Feel you bro <3

Feel hugged :)

Comic GAF is special.
We are a better family then the Guardians of the Galaxy and the Suicide Squad!
(And now someone has to Photoshop our Avatars on either the SS or the GotG)

When we had five books people were claiming that Marvel was trying to kill the X-Men. Two would have people foaming at the mouth lol.
Uncanny X-Men (Classics)
New X-Men (Not so classics)
X-Force (paramilitary X-Men dedicated to extreme threats)
X-Factor (X-Men for hire)
New Mutants (students at the Xavier School who are not X-Men but stumble into X-Men-esque situations)

Five books. All teams. That should be perfectly satisfactory IF Marvel has the talent. Given Marvel's current state, they need to cut down. Hard.

Top Bottom