• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Blood boiling after watching this teenage rape documentary on Netflix. Might not have been the best idea at work, should have stuck to comics.

Rucka, Sharp, and even Gail are being confronted by idiots for making WW Bi. Ironic considering people in my thread about it were questioning why it had to be news.

Ross61

Rucka, Sharp, and even Gail are being confronted by idiots for making WW Bi. Ironic considering people in my thread about it were questioning why it had to be news.

I feel like the only people who are almost as bad as the homophobes are the "WELL DUH" crowd.

Captain Falcon #13: The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the LORD when I lay my vengeance upon you.

Captain Hydra #5: We get another piece of the origin story, but most of this issue is focused on giving us Captain Hydra's perspective on (and involvement in) the events of CWII. The implications of one of these stories in particular are pretty shocking and I wonder if it'll slip under the radar:
it seems to me like Selvig is the one who inspired Banner to experiment on himself again, leading to Ulysses' vision of the Hulk killing everyone?? Is Hydra responsible for Bruce's death?
We also seem to get confirmation that
Alison Green is innocent
but it wouldn't surprise me if this info is here just to throw readers off the scent. We'll see. Anyway this issue kinda bugged me because
the way Spencer explains Ulysses' powers is not how they actually work at all. His powers are not tied to his own survival instincts or to "global-level danger scenarios," whatever that actually means. Carol is happy to use him like a freakin' metal detector, bringing him into a room and "scanning" for visions. He has visions of inconsequential shit all the time. In fact a much better strategy than Selvig's convoluted plan involving Banner would be for Cap to just stay the hell away from Ulysses since proximity kicks off visions on the regular. So anyway, now this major event in CWII is based on this terrible strategy that does not make sense by Selvig

Captain Awful #9: The Gages make a valiant effort to paint Carol as still-somewhat-heroic but they can't sustain the illusion for a full issue anymore. No, by the middle of the issue, she's a garbage tier super villain again, even here, in her OWN COMIC,
putting the profile back in profiling with literal profiles
allowing freakin' Magneto to take the moral high ground
threatening to imprison one of her only allies because of her mental illness
and
getting in a huge fight with the supporting cast of her own book for saying disgusting things to said ally
. Oh and naturally almost the entire issue is set on Earth, unlike the fun spacefaring romp this book started out as.

Carol I'm so sorry they did this to you. It's not fair. It's not okay.

Saga #38
opbIHgv.gif

The Castoffs #1: Oh boy...I hate to pick on this book too much as the writer clearly does not have much experience in comics or even in storytelling. On the other hand they are charging $3 for it, it's a full price book, and it's lousy. There is no rising action, the comic just starts awkwardly and the entire issue proceeds at the same plodding, dull pace. In fact the issue feels so much like the long, laborious introductory sequences of many JRPGs I have played that I could hear the soundtrack. You know the intros where you feel like you finally got through all the exposition and crappy characterization, and you get to walk down a corridor or something, and then the game launches into fifteen more minutes of that garbage? It's like that. The promised "ancient robots vs. magic" of the solicit blurb is barely even mentioned in passing at least until one of the main characters
launches into a random two page recounting of the setting's back story, mere panels from the end of the issue, immediately after saying "GEEZ WE ALL KNOW THE STORY BUT HERE IT IS ANYWAY"
, so hopefully you weren't actually expecting them to get to any of that stuff if you bought it!

Finally, say
you discover one of your classmates actually has mind control powers and applies them with Xavier's Ethics of Mind Control (i.e., whenever and wherever I feel like it, for any reason) like, all the time. By the way you found this out when she tried to mind control you. Oh and she's pretending to be a healer, the healer that your little party needs to, well, live. No she pretty much just does the mind control thing and she doesn't give a fuck who, when or why. Do you really keep this information to yourself, as though she has asked you not to expose an embarrassing-but-harmless secret? That she only wants to keep secret so she can keep getting away with this shit?
REALLY

Also finally, I'm not sure the actual age of the writer and I don't care enough to find out, but the book suffers from major Older-Dude-Writing-Teenager-Dialogue Syndrome. I can spot it a mile away, I am an expert, fam.

arkon

Unrelated topic: How does one best approach Astro City nowadays, and is it indeed worth picking up? I already purchased a ton from the Vertigo sale (because HOLY CRAP at those prices, especially for series like Y The Last Man and Preacher that already had nice cheaper collections on Comixology), so I'm not sure I will dive in either way, but yeah, the whole thing seems a tad messy as to how I should be picking it up.

Start from the first trade and follow the published order. That's what I've done so far and it's been fine. It's not like there's an overarching story to it (at least not as far as I got). It jumps around to examine different characters and stories.

The Mignolaverse will break your heart. I just finished volume 1 of Hell on Earth, and BPRD is some heartwrenching stuff. Every character is infused with tragedy, and I dunno that I've read a comic that so deftly protrays how high the stakes are as BPRD. I do admit my experience with BPRD might be aided by future knowledge, as I've read all of Hellboy up through the last five issues of Hellboy in Hell, but man these are some top tier comics. Mignolaverse > everything else out on the stands.

Damio
<3 It's amazing how much they put the team through the wringer over the years. They aren't afraid to break the toys. Remember the photograph Liz saw in her vision. Although, having not read the 2nd volume of hellboy in hell yet, I still wonder if
Hellboy
being in that picture will come to pass. But it's more the people who aren't there that gets your wheeling spinning haha.

I hope, like the Shield, the ending can surprise me and execute on the various characters well. I don't want to think too much about it but man, it's kind of hard not to given how tragic the tale is.

Damnit, Aaron really did a wonderful job with the second volune.

Haha, well I won't say anything about the end other than I was more than satisfied. Everytime you mention the shield you make me want to rewatch....

Plus good news is, getting in on Scalped makes sure you've in the know when this bad boy goes big ;) Click

I'm kind of surprised anyone even remembers Veil.

Haha, Rucka doesn't, for sure.

Last day of the OT...can't wait to see the monster Freeza & Messi have birthed.

Titans #3
A pretty good issue, but Garth has yet to prove to me why he should be on the team. Everyone else has shown why they should be on it in some way, but Garth has yet to sell me. In other news,
how the fuck is Kadabra aware of Dr. Manhattan? Very few are, and that's only because Wally informed them. Intriguing to me how that's a thing.

Still solid, but the dialogue was still a bit stilted and forced in some areas.

Dunno if this is a good place to ask but does anyone know when the first decent statues/figures based on dc rebirth will be available? I wanna get a few like wonder woman, batman, superman etc. The ones available now are random ones or the odd new 52 design, id really like a cohesive look.

Tizoc

Right then time for my monthly comic catching up

All-Star Batman #2
Meh.

Black Panther #6
Sadly too slow paced for my tastes :/ Gonna give the first 6 issues a re-read to se eif I end up liking it better being read in one sitting and then decide if I want to continue this book or not.

Transformers MTMTE #57
"You haven't had the practice." Roberts you glorious son of a gun.
Sentinel's defeat
was hilariously anti-climatic, but that ending was great.
Time for
Prowldemption!

Pretty excited for Sonic Universe 91 mainly as the story will feature Ian's fav. trio

tim1138

Damio
<3 It's amazing how much they put the team through the wringer over the years. They aren't afraid to break the toys. Remember the photograph Liz saw in her vision. Although, having not read the 2nd volume of hellboy in hell yet, I still wonder if
Hellboy
being in that picture will come to pass. But it's more the people who aren't there that gets your wheeling spinning haha.

One of the things that resonated the most with me was the stuff with little Hellboy in 46-48. Again with knowing what's ahead for him, it makes the early stuff where he's playing baseball and just being a kid all that much more sad. And then the end when
he's getting excited to meet the President and wants to wear Air Force blues. I admit I laughed when the hat didn't fit because of his horns, but the last shot of him locked in the bathroom with the saw... poor little guy

I cannot wait for vol 2 of Hellboy in Hell. Tyrant read it single issues and told me it's really good (as if it wouldn't be).

One of the things that resonated the most with me was the stuff with little Hellboy in 46-48. Again with knowing what's ahead for him, it makes the early stuff where he's playing baseball and just being a kid all that much more sad. And then the end when
he's getting excited to meet the President and wants to wear Air Force blues. I admit I laughed when the hat didn't fit because of his horns, but the last shot of him locked in the bathroom with the saw... poor little guy

I cannot wait for vol 2 of Hellboy in Hell. Tyrant read it single issues and told me it's really good (as if it wouldn't be).

Oh for sure, I don't doubt for one second the end of in hell will be anything less than perfect. Mignola dements me with his flights of fancy with movies or painting ir whatever other thing he's decided he's doing instead of comics but when he actually puts the stuff down, you can't argue that he doesn't nail it every time.

Did you read the midnight circus yet? Not sure if you spotted my reply about that the other day but your at the perfect point in hellboy for it and it's a great lil hellboy story. He really is a tragic figure trough out his life and it makes the comparisons they make over in BPRD with
Roger and the scientists
or even abe that much better. They all thematically strengthen each other, the true success of the little shared universe they have.

My girlfriend took the time today after spotting my trades out to tell me all about why she can't stand that Mike nola guys art and the stupid shoulder slump he draws...lol. She's so kind.

Guess lake of fire is down on my list now too.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
is invincible iron man worth reading anymore?

my eyes sort of glaze over whenever a non-Riri storyline is on the pages.

i include the bad ass Asian Inhuman woman from the opening arc as i believe she'll be a real thorn in Riri's side.

TheFlow

Banned
Went ahead and bought all the back issues of the Marvel books I like, along with lake of fire. I already have Mighty Thor #8, and all of the sam wilson stuff except for a few middle issues. gotta check. Shoutout to Messi

Mighty Thor #6

Mighty Thor #7

Mighty Thor #9

Mighty Thor #10

Mighty Thor #11

Doctor Strange #8 (Last Days of Magic)

Doctor Strange #10 (Last Days of Magic)

Doctor Strange #11 (Last Days of Magic)

Cage #1 Marvel Now

Champions #1

Death of X #1

Doctor Strange #12

Power Man and Iron Fist #8 (Civil War II)

Doctor Strange Annual #1

Vision #11

Moon Knight #6

Jessica Jones #1 Marvel Now

ultimates #8.

Ultimates #9 (Civil War II)

Ultimates #10 (Civil War II)

Ultimates #11 (Civil War II)

lake of fire #1

Lake of fire #2

Top Bottom