• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comprehensive list of PS4 feature announcements at GDC

Veezy

que?
This console sounds so well realized and grounded in approachable modern design for everyone involved. E3 is going to be a blast.

Maybe I'm being a bit blinded, but I really don't see how Microsoft can steal the show this year at E3, or even in the holiday season. Sony is getting mad love from developers and gamers as a whole. Even if Microsoft drops console details during E3, PS4 will have had a few months of hype and info leading up to the (hopefully) main reveal.

I'm so pumped.

J-Rzez

Sony is really hitting the right notes, and it's scary coming from the PS3. I'm waiting for something horrible to show it's head but it hasn't happened yet. Seems like they're winning over the press pretty well thus far as well, considering how the media tried their hardest to beat Sony down last gen.

I still can't believe that MS is letting Sony run wild and build up this type of mindshare for so long now though. Maybe they figured that it wouldn't win over the press and consumers as much as it did, and it blew up in their face. I'm going to guess that they have something huge under wraps though for them to remain silent in confidence. I can't see it being that they got one-upped hard and are scrambling trying to get something together to counter all of this.

Wonder if there's going to be much supply constraints come launch this time with both using more "common pool" tech?

Coolwhip

Banned
Sony going for the 'core gamers' is pretty ballsy. It could either be a good move or Sony going down with the sinking console gaming ship.

USC-fan

Banned
I have a feeling free online play has gone out the window. They would list it if it were in.

Doubtful. Going to be hard to charge for online play with the amount of free to play games and also the vita doesnt charge for online.

I really see no reason why they would start that now. Very stupid move...

I have a feeling free online play has gone out the window. They would list it if it were in.

It may or may not have. They haven't really gotten to that topic as of yet. That'll definitely be known at E3 though. Definitely hoping that it is still free. Even though I'm a plus subscriber.

Cronq

Banned

They're currently building support so when they smash us with the reality of $499 price, paid online and blocked used games that it doesn't kill their momentum.

Erasus

CPU sounds great, could be more poweful imo, but gfx card is taking over a lot.
I am still amazed at the RAM! Like, holy shit.
Big HDD in every console, nice. I hope its user replaceable.

Everything else sounds great. Simple x86 arch that devs know, multiple cores, VS2012 for devs, loads of fast RAM, big HDD, blu-ray is in. Its the ps3 but fixed. No overly complicated CPU like the Cell, while cool, was not THAT useful as a general CPU

Amir0x

Banned
haha much higher res for the touchpad than the Wii U shit da fug

i thought that shit only displayed a few basic things and, like, colors or something lol

There's no reason to think this at this point in time. Sony has not unveiled what they plan for their services at this point. They're not going to reveal the state of online play during a public GDC session.

This was mostly talk about the controller and the eye, the UI seemed to have been brought up because of the Share button. I wouldn't base if online multiplayer will be free or not on what we got today. I'm pretty sure a lot of things will be behind a paywall but I have a hard time seeing multiplayer being one of them, but I have been wrong before. :p

Orayn

Did they mention anything about the graphic chip in the PS4?

We already know it's based on the Radeon HD7000 series, with 18 compute units. That would put it somewhere between the HD7850 (16 CUs) and the HD7870. (20 CUs)

i thought that shit only displayed a few basic things and, like, colors or something lol

It doesn't display anything, that's the resolution of how fine a point it can distinguish.

panty

Friendships will be lost over who has to use the pink one.

Man, Nintendo and Sony are dropping analog buttons. Vicious!

It'll probably be removed in a future update after it proves useful for piracy.

Triggers will still be analog on the DS4.

Dragon

Banned
I can't wait to use my Vita to play Battlefield 4 mutliplayer on the toilet.

Maybe they'll have some sort of PS4 Eye functionality that is simulated on the Vita with the front and back cameras. Kinda like that Burnout Paradise functionality. It'd be hilarious if you saw someone playing on the toilet as you killed them.

Hoo-doo

Banned

It's not a screen. It's a touchpad, like you'd find on laptops.
It's just surprisingly accurate.

Amir0x

Banned
ah i was going to say at this point I would think the PS4 would be $700 with that touchpad shit too. Good to know I'm wrong, any superfluous gimmick we can avoid that saves money is good

Orayn

Maybe they'll have some sort of PS4 Eye functionality that is simulated on the Vita with the front and back cameras. Kinda like that Burnout Paradise functionality. It'd be hilarious if you saw someone playing on the toilet as you killed them.

Developers would be unwise to enable PSEye killcam functionality for random players. It's just asking for trouble. (And pictures of genitalia.)

Veezy

que?
ah i was going to say at this point I would think the PS4 would be $700 with that touchpad shit too. Good to know I'm wrong, any superfluous gimmick we can avoid that saves money is good

Well, it will be if you don't already have your Vita. You do have a Vita, right?

No, this has nothing to do with mods. This is how games are developed. So here's a quick development lesson.

You can write code in just about anything; a basic text editor if you want. You use a compiler to take that code and it outputs more or less your game. Some people still do it this way, but for many, they like to use something called an Integrated Development Environment or IDE for short to do their programming in. It typically has the text editor, the compiler, a debugger, and other stuff all tied into one program that makes it easier to write, run, and debug code. Visual Studio is one of the best IDEs out there. Sony used to use a different IDE that was similar to Visual Studio, but not as good (although you could still write your code, compile and launch it from VS through some configuration, you still had to use other stuff for debugging and what not). All this is really saying is Sony is now using Visual Studio as their main IDE for developers to use to write games and you can use all the advantages that come with Visual Studio.

Thanks a lot.

USC-fan

Banned
We already know it's based on the Radeon HD7000 series, with 18 compute units. That would put it somewhere between the HD7770 (10 CUs) and the HD7850. (28 CUs)

Thats not correct 7850 only has 16 CU.

Its between the 7850 and 7870.

Mikey Jr.

Jeepers, how is this thing not going to be $599?

Blu-ray drives are pretty cheap now, especially for Sony. 2007 Blu-ray drives were just coming out. That drove the price up significantly.

Secondly, parts they are putting into the PS4 are off the shelf. That means not having to put into millions into R&D.

I read that whole list and the only thing I thought of was that the 5 core principles spell Ipiss.

It all sounds great but I was pretty well sold on getting one before they announced it.
I care more about the benefits to developers than I do about creature comfort features for me.

see5harp

All of that sounds really really promising. I'm really hoping they take something from this generation and come out with a system that is fully featured, fun, and easy to use.

sephi22

Fear, hunger, humility get mixed up in a pot.
Sprinkle a little Kaz Hirai on top,
what the fuck do you got?
You the illest and realest console all up in this spot.
The juggernaut of this next gen, like it or not.

So hyped.

This post needs more love

Top Bottom